MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
joeg1

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by joeg1 »

HUSID74 wrote:
krood wrote:HU should let guys like this go......
Whenever I read about kids like this, I ask, 'What would Bob McKillop do? He builds quality programs with quality kids......
More important question, how do we lose a Lutheran kid to Weber St.?
Hofstra should get every LI-prospect below a 4-star!
No excuses!
Agree on this kid... don't understand the Weber St decision but kids on LI don't want to stay here... you were an exception!
Things have changed in 40 years, right?
Polito

Post by Polito »

To Z's point, if there was ever a player you take a risky chance with, it's a 5 star all-american projected to be an NBA draft pick lol

That said, to krood's point, I highly doubt A) he comes East, or B) HU would be open to that risk, so it's all probably a moot point.

krood, preaching to the choir on Kupsas - I've noted this was a HUGE miss - regardless of the 4 spot not being the most pressing, it still is a position that has not been secured by any 1 player yet, and he was the #1 4 year recruit on the radar of any position. And HU has proven a player of his skill set can start and star in this system via Koon.

Tack on the fact he is local, and HU has an enormous Lithuanian connection with Rok directly in his ear repeatedly, this was a major blow folks. The staff spent considerable time and effort on this one, and come away empty handed. Brutal.

No clue whatsoever his connection to Weber St is though - outside of the likelihood to make the NCAAT, which is def a major thing but certainly not exclusive to them obviously, not following why the interest or attraction there.

Losing a Koon type player really sucks.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

KRood with all due respect him Kupas choosing Weber State over Hofstra is not a shock He comes from a small village in Lithuania. Weber State may feel more comfortable to him. I think the big difference is the arena and attendance. Hofstra arena holds 5,124 and attendance is 1,500. While Weber State arena holds 12,000 and attendance is 7,500
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Stu, I doubt the reason he picked the school was due to how many people go to the games...he appears to be a bright and thoughtful kid who is very interested in academics...plus the environment might have been more to his liking...It's not the Bronx or Hempstead but who know?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

First it was the stinging loss of Kupsas who a lot of people thought we had a good chance to sign. Now I see that Alperen Kurnaz goes west as well. Per Verbal commits 1/18/2018 - 2018 PF Alperen Kurnaz (6-8, -, 2★) committed to Denver. Can we take bets on who r first signee will be?? At this point I'm of the belief that we'll be maybe getting a two year rental in the form of a JC transfer. Any feelings re this??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The staff has said repeatedly they are going after a JC and a freshman to fill our needs up front. There are two JCs listed on Verbal Commits...usually JCs commit much later in the recruiting process.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Denver?? That's an odd one to me. 0 D1 NCAAT, and last made the NIT in '13. Weber St I can see with their NCAAT probability, but this one makes me think he turned out to be not a priority target for HU / not the desired level of day 1 ready to play skill.

I'd say a Juco big is a definite - they also have no choice frankly. Need a day 1 big - had plenty of time to prepare for Gustys and Sabety exit, no excuses here. MUST land an immediate impact player to start at the 5 next year.

Definitely want a 2nd big for depth (and please don't anyone mention Schutte - odds are 0 impact) - need a very serviceable player to spell the starter and who can grow into that role 2 years later - would love to know who the priority HS/Prep player is at this stage...

Also need to land a REAL point.

Bottom line is next year is JWF's last, and it needs to be capitalized on to the MAX - go ALL in and build a team specifically for that year to win it all.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:Denver?? That's an odd one to me. 0 D1 NCAAT, and last made the NIT in '13. Weber St I can see with their NCAAT probability, but this one makes me think he turned out to be not a priority target for HU / not the desired level of day 1 ready to play skill.

I'd say a Juco big is a definite - they also have no choice frankly. Need a day 1 big - had plenty of time to prepare for Gustys and Sabety exit, no excuses here. MUST land an immediate impact player to start at the 5 next year.

Definitely want a 2nd big for depth (and please don't anyone mention Schutte - odds are 0 impact) - need a very serviceable player to spell the starter and who can grow into that role 2 years later - would love to know who the priority HS/Prep player is at this stage...

Also need to land a REAL point.

Bottom line is next year is JWF's last, and it needs to be capitalized on to the MAX - go ALL in and build a team specifically for that year to win it all.
So Polito what's your beef with Schutte I've seen u post about him before? Do u have inside info. on him or have a gut feeling or is it just watching him in practice? We don't need another AW here sitting on the bench a kid who had some skills that were never developed. We didn't burn up a scholarship for someone who's not going to get playing time. There r currently a lot of kids that have committed to transfer for next year and some eligible right away according to Verbal Commits. We need to get a big and a PG from this crop of transfers. BTW saw a tweet from someone answering the question why CB was transferring again and the person wrote " locker room cancer". What a waste of a very talented kid!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

triple I ahve seen him in practice and at mid night madness. he is 6ft9 but does not have great hops. He is work in progress. Could barely dunk the ball and has no outside shot. hey maybe he does develop but from what I have seen, dont count on it.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:triple I ahve seen him in practice and at mid night madness. he is 6ft9 but does not have great hops. He is work in progress. Could barely dunk the ball and has no outside shot. hey maybe he does develop but from what I have seen, dont count on it.
I have seen the same things Stu but I wonder why we would give a scholarship to someone who is a serious work in progress when there r a lot of bodies out there?? Apparently we must be quite desperate!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Schutte is a big body, think he's bigger than listed, who has not played basketball very long. Sometimes you take a flyer on a kid...Look at JWF, he wasn't recruited heavily and got virtually no playing time as a freshman.

Then again, every player on the roster can't be a star...you need role guys. Maybe Schutte develops into a 15 minute guy who clogs the lane gets you some rebounds, put backs and plays defense....not bad.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I am completely ok with the Schutte signing; like HUSID said everyone can't be a star. Plus you can't teach height. If the staff can develop him I don't see why they can't expect quality role player minutes off the bench. A guy that can hold his own for 10 minutes or so is worth a scholarship. Now lets get the other 30 minutes or so in this class.
Polito

Post by Polito »

You don't take a flyer on a low lever player, you take a flyer on a bad seed 5 star with NBA potential. Not saying I want to do that, I don't, but that's what a flyer is - Schutte is not a 'flyer', he's just an extra body.

And JWF is a poor example, with all due respect HUSID. JWF was a very talented guard (one of the best in NY) with even higher potential, and though he didn't have blue bloods calling, it was very apparent to anyone following recruiting he had stud potential. The only reason he didn't play as a frosh is because he was literally behind another pro-level guard in Green. Regardless of position, Schutte is nowhere even in the same ballpark.

And no beef at all with him, appreciate that he wants to play for HU.

But he's just not very good. Many of you are being fooled or overly hopeful by his size - learn the Wormley lesson and don't. Can he be the surprise of the year? Sure, just extremely unlikely. Not being a jerk or negative, I'm just usually pretty good with this stuff, whether anyone likes it or not :P

Just a big body. IMO this was an unnecessary scholly, although I agree it's not a major issue. Fine to have as emergency backup. But if HU finds that it needs him for 10+ minutes a game, then it has failed recruiting the position.

This team is very used to being fed the ball constantly from Roks million rebounds, they better find a stud who can fill that role with at least 10+ boards a game, or HU's scorers are going to be in for a very big shock. And that's exactly the makings of wasting a stars senior year.

Land a stud 5, period. It is the #1 priority in this class. They whiffed on the PG last year, cannot afford to make the same mistake twice. MUST GET A STUD, no matter what it takes or where they come from.

Can't tell you how badly I wanted Govan to transfer here - would've been a PERFECT fit. And he should have - as I noted a while back, Hoyas not going anywhere again this year. He could've helped HU go dancing with a Sr JWF next year.

HU needs a guy like THAT.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito wrote:You don't take a flyer on a low lever player, you take a flyer on a bad seed 5 star with NBA potential. Not saying I want to do that, I don't, but that's what a flyer is - Schutte is not a 'flyer', he's just an extra body.

And JWF is a poor example, with all due respect HUSID. JWF was a very talented guard (one of the best in NY) with even higher potential, and though he didn't have blue bloods calling, it was very apparent to anyone following recruiting he had stud potential. The only reason he didn't play as a frosh is because he was literally behind another pro-level guard in Green. Regardless of position, Schutte is nowhere even in the same ballpark.

And no beef at all with him, appreciate that he wants to play for HU.

But he's just not very good. Many of you are being fooled or overly hopeful by his size - learn the Wormley lesson and don't. Can he be the surprise of the year? Sure, just extremely unlikely. Not being a jerk or negative, I'm just usually pretty good with this stuff, whether anyone likes it or not :P

Just a big body. IMO this was an unnecessary scholly, although I agree it's not a major issue. Fine to have as emergency backup. But if HU finds that it needs him for 10+ minutes a game, then it has failed recruiting the position.

This team is very used to being fed the ball constantly from Roks million rebounds, they better find a stud who can fill that role with at least 10+ boards a game, or HU's scorers are going to be in for a very big shock. And that's exactly the makings of wasting a stars senior year.

Land a stud 5, period. It is the #1 priority in this class. They whiffed on the PG last year, cannot afford to make the same mistake twice. MUST GET A STUD, no matter what it takes or where they come from.

Can't tell you how badly I wanted Govan to transfer here - would've been a PERFECT fit. And he should have - as I noted a while back, Hoyas not going anywhere again this year. He could've helped HU go dancing with a Sr JWF next year.

HU needs a guy like THAT.
Polito, with all due respect perhaps you should recruit for the program to show us how it should be done... You seem to have a lock on all player evaluations and predictions of performances. You should share your knowledge with the coaching staff. Oh and by the way how much film of Schulte have you seen to make your ironclad evaluation?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I don't know who to believe here. According to some of you Schutte is kind of like Robert Redford in "The Natural" a virtual unknown to us a Diamond in the rough if u will. BTW Stu to be honest he really has no problem throwing it down but in reality my eyes still work so I see him in practice and I saw him at Midnite Madness which u could see he's no 5 star player. I'll refresh your memory on a kid we signed from the Bullis school in Maryland 2014 graduating class named AW. Some scouting services had him as a 3 star player. Here's what was said about him; Strengths:
Walker is a very athletic and mobile post that runs the floor extremely well. He has a good basketball body and frame to build upon. He pretty good hands and finishes drop off passes he receives from guard dribble penetration although he must be a more consistent finisher. Now we all know the fate of this kid who on the face of it deserved a scholarship but the outcome wasn't great. Some of us seem to have a short term memory as to the state of this basketball program a few years ago and the scandal that was created here. It certainly left a black eye for a while and caused the entire program to be re-evaluated. Now some of us would revert back to our bad ways and sign anyone just to win with no regard for integrity. Well maybe we should call ourselves Louisville or NC. We need to forget about the 5 star players who have created BAD BLOOD wherever they go and focus on maybe a solid 2/3 star player who's not going to cause discord here. I ran across this article yesterday that's going to change the playing field for college basketball. It basically said that the NCAA is going to vote on a change in the rules concerning college basketball transfers and they will be eligible to play right away doing away with the one yr. sit out rule. This is to be voted on in June and most people believe that its going to pass. There will be caveats having to do with this rule concerning grades and the like but this could make it very easy for players to jump from one school to the next. This could be a big plus for us and everyone else!!
https://www.sbnation.com/college.../nca ... -eligiblit.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

triplec2195 wrote:I don't know who to believe here. According to some of you Schutte is kind of like Robert Redford in "The Natural" a virtual unknown to us a Diamond in the rough if u will.
I don't believe anyone in this thread insinuated this. I am no expert and haven't seen any more of him than any of you and I don't claim to be any sort of expert at evaluating talent but lets see what a year of practice does for him; and even if he can't contribute to the team next year we still have 3 more years for him to develop. At the end of the day you usually are going to end up getting down to an 8 or so man rotation; so we have scholarships to use on redshirt players and players that may take a couple years to develop. Of course the staff is going to miss on some but it doesn't mean you don't keep trying. Schutte was signed in August so it basically came down to either have 11 scholarship players or 12 scholarship players; he didn't take a scholarship away from another player we were recruiting.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Just maybe we signed Schutte because it opens a pipeline to some other foreign players or he has a STUD best friend who will now come to Hofstra...You never really know what's going on.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I wasn't the person making disparaging comments about Schutte but was just trying to make the point that we shouldn't be giving him a scholarship if he's going to be a bench player getting next to no minutes. I just wonder how he stacks up against AW who at least had a pedigree coming out of H.S. Nobody seems to know anything about Schutte even though there r snippets on-line about his game. Now with the likelihood that transfers will not have to sit out and will be eligible to play right away it would seem to me that maybe you need to have 1 or 2 trump cards in your hand to enable u to make a move if the opportunity is there! That's all. If Schutte turns out to have game that's a big plus.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Regardless of how Schutte develops, we absolutely have to have a stud who can step right into that 5 next season and play a at solid D1 level. There can be no excuses for not filling this need. He does not have to be a stud scorer (but that's obviously a plus), but he does have to play D and clear the boards. Sounds like this will have to be our JUCO pick-up (fingers crossed). Then we need a freshman with demonstrated talent from a good high school or club team background. The second 4/5 does not need to play more than a few minutes a game, but he does have to show enough so it is obvious as to why he was recruited and why he is being groomed.

Of course there is always the D1 transfer who shows up, but good ones and ones who will also come to HU are far and few between. Way too risky to try and wait for or target one of these.

I say (based on what we know) push real hard for the 6'-10" JUCO and then either the 6-10 or 6-11 freshman (all listed on verbal commits).
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

With all this talk have we signed anyone as yet?