MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by Polito »

I love Cards. Totally get what you're saying, and by now you must know I am right there with you on no excuses, not settling, and demanding better.

Everyone understands eplacing Rok/Hunter is absolutely vital, no question, and I don't think anyone is discounting that - only noting that at least that's all there is to replace for next year.

Certainly easier said than done, but I'll take replacing 1 than 4.

IMO HU needs a more athletic immediate impact big than those 2, in the 6'9-6'10 range who can haul in 10 boards a game and play real D - rebounds and shot blocking/altering is key for me in that spot, and the ability to play out to the arc - then a few points a game on O rounds it out. Of course everyone wants that, so prob sounds funny, but that's the way the position has gone so it actually isn't as hard to find as it once was, even at a mid.

If HU doesn't land a guy who can rebound like a beast, their guards and shooting gameplan will be in for a shock when no one is getting them the ball. This position and skill set is not optional for next year, it is a MUST.

Like I said, I hate the way this staff lands guys last-minute, I disagree with it 100% - 8 of 10 CAA schools have commits already (with a plural), several very talented. HU isn't even close to one, and completely whiffed on their only known primary target. That to me is insane, BUT what I am saying is recruiting and talent is the least of this programs issues - as much as this staff still has to prove it can actually coach to the dance, it HAS proven it can bring in the talent. So on this, I am giving them their due, which they've earned.

To HUSID's point, I believe visits are coming - for example, I read recently the big Giorgi Bezhanishvili hasn't even set one up yet for any school, he is waiting until his season at The Patrick School in NJ is over... so I believe fully this staff is on it.

The only question for me is whether they will fill this vital need with the right player, or if they will blow it again like they did with the PG spot last year. Hard to excuse that stuff whenever it's the #1 position of need. This time around they need to vindicate themselves...and they have had PLENTY of time to do so. Whiff again on the only key spot of the class, and then I will raise hell, as everyone should.

But let's give them the shot they deserve here first... I'm holding out hope and faith they will get it done - as noted, this staff is the one who brought Gustys and Sabety in - they know the need and have proven they can fill it properly.

Here is the link to the Verbal Commits transfer list - I don't see anything yet as far as immediately eligible bigs that would be a fit for HU, but it's very early, and this list will become massive soon - will be paying close attention here down the road:

https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2018
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I definitely want a 5 also that is going to contest and block shots. Does everyone realistically think we're going to replace ROK with a clone who's going to get 12 boards a game. We need to be realistic what's wrong with a guy that gets us maybe 8 rebounds give or take someone who has a mid range game and hopefully shoot better FT's then ROK. A kid like this will pretty much be a wash replacing ROK all things taken into consideration.
Lots of interesting players on this transfer list Polito. The kid that everyone was getting excited about Carlton Bragg transferred to New Mexico. I also see the SG for Siena Nico Clareth who would be a nice pickup. Kory Holden PG who transferred from Delaware to S Carolina is available right away another possibility? There's a 7'3" center Chris Sodom a four star player who was dismissed(problem) from Georgetown. I'm sure when it's all said and done the 5 or 5's we get nobody will have heard of them! Just like MR and KS.
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:I'm sure when it's all said and done the 5 or 5's we get nobody will have heard of them! Just like MR and KS.
This is exactly what I'm hoping we can avoid. Nothing wrong with MR and KS - in time I'm sure they will help the program. We need 40 quality minutes from the 5 spot next year. If their ready to contribute 40 quality minutes next year, then I don't care if I've ever heard of them or not. But with a glaring immediate need at the 5 next year, we cant go in with non-immediate impact guys like MR and KS.

And remember, we need an impact guy and someone who can spell him 10 minutes per game. I'm hoping like everyone else that JM has things under control, but the immediate impact guys we got last year (KW and JA) were not what we all had hoped. And that not a knock against them, they have contributed, just not at the level we all thought they would.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:I just don't sense that some of you see any urgency in replacing RG with an extremely capable player. Picking up some guy that's get 7-8 rebounds per game will be a major downgrade. This is clearly the toughest position to fill - big capable 5s are simply not that common. So as it stands right now, not only do we have to replace Rok, but we don't even have a backup to replace Hunter.

I know that there have been several instances where JM has brought in high level talent, and it was someone that most of us on the board had no inkling of what had been going on behind the scenes. And that's great - I really hope it happens this year.

Are you "settling" - maybe, maybe not. As of right now, we don't have a 5 for next year.....nothing has happened. Are you guys willing to wait another 3 months, 4 months??? This is the most critical recruit this year. And yes, unless we bring in a stud, COC will be the favorite next year (even without Chealey who has taken on a lesser role with the emergence of Riller).
A guy that's getting 7-8 boards a game is nothing to sneeze at let's be realistic. In your game plan what do u have KS DOING? My feeling is that he will be the heir apparent to HS. I'm sure there r people that have confidence in this kids game and like I have said in prior posts I hope we didn't use a scholarship on him to sit and watch it from the bench. Next year ST will be getting more playing time and his numbers will improve exponentially!! Agreed these guys are harder to find since there not as plentiful as guards. Also don't want to split hairs but don't think Chealey has taken on a lesser role just doing a Justin and letting the hot handed players ride the scoring streak. Chealey can take over a game in JWF fashion don't think he won't be missed next year for COC.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Cards wrote:I just don't sense that some of you see any urgency in replacing RG with an extremely capable player. Picking up some guy that's get 7-8 rebounds per game will be a major downgrade. This is clearly the toughest position to fill - big capable 5s are simply not that common. So as it stands right now, not only do we have to replace Rok, but we don't even have a backup to replace Hunter.

I know that there have been several instances where JM has brought in high level talent, and it was someone that most of us on the board had no inkling of what had been going on behind the scenes. And that's great - I really hope it happens this year.

Are you "settling" - maybe, maybe not. As of right now, we don't have a 5 for next year.....nothing has happened. Are you guys willing to wait another 3 months, 4 months??? This is the most critical recruit this year. And yes, unless we bring in a stud, COC will be the favorite next year (even without Chealey who has taken on a lesser role with the emergence of Riller).
Why do we need a guy who needs to match Rok's rebounding numbers? Can't we get a more athletic 4/5, and just have the increased athleticism on the court spread out the rebounding numbers?

I don't want a Rok clone, get more athleticism, get a guy who can shoot 60% from the line and hit a jumper from time to time.

Settling, what a joke. We have NO control on who the staff brings in, do you actually believe if we wish really hard, or if we complain really hard, a recruit will commit to Hofstra?

The only miss that hurts is Kupsas. The staff is recruiting their asses off right now, they don't have much PT to sell, other than at the 5 spot, and they likely want at least one JUCO/Transfer filling the Rok/Sabety void. There's lots of talk of the transfer rules changing, allowing immediate eligibility for players when a HC leaves a school. That could have a big impact on who we recruit this season, and we lock up sub-standard recruits early, it's a missed opportunity on a better player.

If we had lots of spots open, or exceptionally poor play at the other positions, I'd say let's get some players in the door and see what happens, but this is one year where we can be patient, and get the right impact guys to make a run at the title.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:

Why do we need a guy who needs to match Rok's rebounding numbers? Can't we get a more athletic 4/5, and just have the increased athleticism on the court spread out the rebounding numbers?

I don't want a Rok clone, get more athleticism, get a guy who can shoot 60% from the line and hit a jumper from time to time.

Settling, what a joke. We have NO control on who the staff brings in, do you actually believe if we wish really hard, or if we complain really hard, a recruit will commit to Hofstra?

The only miss that hurts is Kupsas. The staff is recruiting their asses off right now, they don't have much PT to sell, other than at the 5 spot, and they likely want at least one JUCO/Transfer filling the Rok/Sabety void. There's lots of talk of the transfer rules changing, allowing immediate eligibility for players when a HC leaves a school. That could have a big impact on who we recruit this season, and we lock up sub-standard recruits early, it's a missed opportunity on a better player.

If we had lots of spots open, or exceptionally poor play at the other positions, I'd say let's get some players in the door and see what happens, but this is one year where we can be patient, and get the right impact guys to make a run at the title.
Excellent post, especially this: "There's lots of talk of the transfer rules changing, allowing immediate eligibility for players when a HC leaves a school. That could have a big impact on who we recruit this season, and we lock up sub-standard recruits early, it's a missed opportunity on a better player."
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Well said Flying Dutchmen...a voice of reason!!!!!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Jojogunne wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:

Excellent post, especially this: "There's lots of talk of the transfer rules changing, allowing immediate eligibility for players when a HC leaves a school. That could have a big impact on who we recruit this season, and we lock up sub-standard recruits early, it's a missed opportunity on a better player."
I agree with your point - FD - of not going after a sub-par player just to satisfy all of us here - but we do have 3-4 scholarships to offer. I can buy that strategy of waiting for a transfer for one or two of those spots, but not for three or four spots. We all know what positions we need to fill - the coaches know what we need better then any of us. It shows that reccruiting is hard. I dont question who we are going after - our recruiting list is right there with our peers - but why are many of these recruits signing else and so much earlier and not inking with us? I can not believe that our staffs game plan is to always wait this late to get there players signed - and I realize that once in while we will land a diamond in the rough that might have had fallen out of favor, a transfer signing late when other teams exhausted all their schollys, a kid that commited to a coach that may have had moved on - I get all of those scenarios - but I still wish we - like our contempoaries - had a kid or two signed already.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote: Why do we need a guy who needs to match Rok's rebounding numbers? Can't we get a more athletic 4/5, and just have the increased athleticism on the court spread out the rebounding numbers?

Totally agree. I'd play ST at the 5 if he bulked up just a little. Heck, I wish we could clone him, and play the pair with our rotation of guards. Haven't given up on Radovic at the 4, either.
Cards

Post by Cards »

OK - posting with an olive branch in hand :lol:

I have NO expectation that anything said on these boards influences the coaches, the recruiting, or anything related to how MBB is run.

I have every expectation that for our own entertainment and fun, we can all post our opinions here and jaw bone about HU MBB.

I, for one, am more worried than others about securing an impact 5 for next season. I strongly do not believe in settling unless we are completely out of options - we are not close to that point yet.

JM has brought in some great players, he has also brought in guys who have not performed as expected. Are there still good players available - absolutely. Are there fewer available than several months ago - absolutely.

If we don't dance this year, I won't be happy. If we don't get to the CAA finals, we probably wont even get an NIT bid - I wont be happy. I won't be saying, well, at least the guys gave it their best. I want to Win, and I want games at the Mack to be well attended and a fun experience. IN MY OPINION, securing an impact 5 for next season provides the best chance for us to achieve those goals. (for those hyping the athletic 4 types - I would have no problem with an athletic 6'8" or 6'9" guy who can rebound and spread the floor with a midrange game - as long as he can do it right away.)
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Ok so you've put your "Cards" on the table. We all want what you want, but what are you doing to make it happen? Have you joined the Pride Club or have you written a check to the Men's basketball program?

If we REALLY want to see success we NEED to help make it HAPPEN?.Just Sayin.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Give me a Govan clone baby!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

But, yeah, seriously. Gimme that.

HUSID, you make a good and fair point on $ support - this program needs more...more donors, more Pride Club members, more season ticket holders, etc. Winning and $ have a direct correlation for the most part when it comes to D1 college athletics - there are always exceptions, but programs with $ win.

I will throw myself in the ring of those who need to do more in that area... but I will also admit I am not a fan of blindly financially supporting things I don't believe in. And right now, after 5 years, this staff needs to make a believer out of me. Dance or Bust.

Bit of a catch 22 I know, because it does take it to produce champions for the most part, but that's the way it is - and I bet I'm not alone. It's time to 'show me the money' so to speak, and then I will be much more apt to show them mine on a larger more regular basis.
garyg

Post by garyg »

We have the talent on the court this year to win the CAA title...coaching still remains suspect
Polito

Post by Polito »

Just to confirm, staff is hunting for 2 bigs, scouring the country across all levels.

As hard as I am on their coaching, these guys work their tails off recruiting, there is no question about that. I can't stand the last minute stuff, and they know that lol, but I also give credit where it's due and the vast majority of talent under this regime has been A-Ok in my book - we've been blessed to witness some truly great players, and I believe 100% that will continue.

Excited to see how things go in these coming months... especially if HU can make a run here and make some a meaningful post-season - I feel strongly that an NCAAT appearance would make a significant impact. NIT worst case could help as well, but the dance would be tremendous trickle down.

But either way, they have landed top end talent without it, so I am confident in their track record - sure we'll hear little birdies chirping after the season. Go bring in the hosses fellas!
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Just saw on twitter that we offered a 6'10 Aussie, Hal Hughes. He is a HS SR out of PA. He is described as an ultra skilled sharp shooting forward who can play multiple positions. William and Mary is also showing interest. That is all of the twitter info I was able to find. Could not find any more info/videos on this kid..
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Dooku25 wrote:Just saw on twitter that we offered a 6'10 Aussie, Hal Hughes. He is a HS SR out of PA. He is described as an ultra skilled sharp shooting forward who can play multiple positions. William and Mary is also showing interest. That is all of the twitter info I was able to find. Could not find any more info/videos on this kid..
He's showing on V/C He's 6'10" and only weighs 201 lbs. per V/C and it shows us as the only school offering right now! I couldn't find any video on youtube.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Could not find much on Hughes either. Found some pics and some video of the team, but cant be sure which guy is Hughes. Have a feeling he's the real tall skinny bright blond haired kid. One game video shows this kid hitting an 18 footer - so maybe that's him - if indeed he is a "sharpshooter".
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Well at 200 lbs. and 6'10" we're probably looking at a 4 more then a 5!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just offered this JUCO big; 2/23/2018 - JUCO PF Amari McCray (6-9, 290, 2★) has received an offer from Hofstra. Now this a big dude "5".
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Any video on this guy McCray