MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by Polito »

And yep, TP at QU - they have put up some serious money for a mid into their athletics, esp hoops - making the investment, respect to them - I wish HU would rise up and get serious instead of getting passed
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:Thanks Captain, very intriguing and good news if true - subtract to add - with all due respect to whoever it is, their time in blue and gold is greatly appreciated, this is another chance to upgrade- let's get that last piece of this recruiting season - 6'9 behemoth!

Even if the Dutchman puts on size, he'll need help - 2 deep at every spot
How about recently transferring Ibrahima Diallo (Rutgers) staying at RU for the fall to graduate and then transfer with two years to play - could be a perfect place for a kid to come in play immediately in 2018 for a team with a spot for a big and some competitive graduate schools to offer.

If dreams come true.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

My guess would be that we just leave that 13th spot open unless something really falls into the coaching staffs lap. Not basing this on any facts. Just my assumptions.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Could be right, although I think if the right opportunity comes along, they would bring someone in to RS - if the right player is available, that is my choice -
a year to learn and grow - but we'll see what happens...
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Agreed Polito, if the right kid is available go after him. Having said that I know the emphasis right now is the 2018 class...a crucial one for the program...bring on the bigs! Hope we land one sooner than later
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID80 wrote:Agreed Polito, if the right kid is available go after him. Having said that I know the emphasis right now is the 2018 class...a crucial one for the program...bring on the bigs! Hope we land one sooner than later

Sounds like something in the works for RS big guy....LOL
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

Andre Walker and Tommy Ros not on the 2107-2018 Roster.

http://www.gohofstra.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

New National Team mixtape of Dutchman Kevin Schutte
https://youtu.be/P4xhs_9--BE
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

DCDUTCH wrote:Andre Walker and Tommy Ros not on the 2107-2018 Roster.

So now the roster is set...we know what we have going into the year
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

The coaching staff did a terrible job in assessing Walker's talent, helping him develop into a useful player, or both.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Jojogunne wrote:The coaching staff did a terrible job in assessing Walker's talent, helping him develop into a useful player, or both.
You can't say that...who knows what the makeup of this kid is...You've got to take a flyer on a 6-10 kid as athletic as he is...sometimes things don't work out...
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

You take too many "flyers" that don't work out and combined with injuries, you have what we do - a solid core with no depth. And then you will not win three in three in March when it counts.

I have to agree with Jojo on this- we got zilch out of Walker. No excuse for not getting 10-15 minutes a game out of him.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Both sides with fair points in this one. Look, sometimes guys just don't work out. And some guys are on the other end of the spectrum, playing above and beyond expectations, like Hunter. The challenge with Walker is the zero production and experiment went on for 3 years. Don't need that.

My expectations are much different, and much more aggressive, because I want HU to actually WIN things that matter. When a guy comes in as a transfer (Juco, Grad, Sit Out), I expect him to compete right out of the gate - if not, you move on (exactly what I said about Greer - clearly not working out, and needed to part ways). A freshman needs to compete his Soph year - if not, time to part ways. The staff needs to assess quickly (1-2 years max of playing), and make adjustments as necessary.

Don't have time to sit here and wait 3-4 years for guys to put in meaningful work - you figure it out pretty quickly, either they have it or they don't. No more of this p-footing around - if you want to truly win championships, then you better run a tight ship. You either A) show out, B) provide effective support (backup), or C) move on.

As far as Schutte goes, he looks to be very athletic for a lengthy center - he loves the ball and wants it often - he's also ready for it when it arrives - really like all of that - however, he def needs to be 225 when he starts playing - his competition is weak, and he needs to be prepared to run into CAA beasts in the post.

And that leads me to my continuing hammering of the fact that he is NOT a replacement for Rok and Hunter. He is a different animal - perhaps he is going to be what Walker was supposed to be - a nimble center with size and length who runs the floor well, defends the basket, and puts the ball in it. That's perfect.

And the perfect, NEEDED, compliment to that is a 6'9 250 beast who will match opponents with similar size and put them on their a$$. An immovable object with some fire. HU needs an enforcer to counter the times that style of play is needed. That is a replacement for Rok and Hunter, and is my #1 need of '18.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Jojogunne wrote:The coaching staff did a terrible job in assessing Walker's talent, helping him develop into a useful player, or both.
True Jojo but sometimes you never know with a kid. There is a point where coaching ends and it is up to a player to learn and improve on his own.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Does the coaching staff have the ability to just cut a player for not performing on the court?
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

No longer matters, time to move forward and upwards...
Polito

Post by Polito »

HM, not sure about the legal aspect to that question, would love to understand it better, but I would imagine conversations happen ALL the time in college sports where players are encouraged either to stay or move on.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID80 wrote:
DCDUTCH wrote:Andre Walker and Tommy Ros not on the 2107-2018 Roster.

So now the roster is set...we know what we have going into the year
5 guards 5 forwards
a walkon, a transfer, and a redshirt
a good mix
point guard play will be the key to the season
Captain

Post by Captain »

Captain wrote:
garyg wrote:Good Morning Captain...anymore input from your contact on who may still be leaving and what staff may still bring in ??
No more info but I will tell you that like Jamal Robinson, my source even told me where this unnamed player would be going so I think unless something has happened in the interim, one more player will be gone. (I am not naming the player because it has not been announced and I guess it ain't over until it's over.) I have been checking Verbal Commits and see nothing about our player or the potential landing school of the player. For the mystery school think Charles Oakley I believe.
I feel funny quoting my previous quote, but this is to acknowledge the accuracy of my source. Andre walker is heading to Virginia Union. I believe that is where Charles Oakley went to school. I hope the kid does well down there.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Captain wrote:
Captain wrote:
garyg wrote:Good Morning Captain...anymore input from your contact on who may still be leaving and what staff may still bring in ??
No more info but I will tell you that like Jamal Robinson, my source even told me where this unnamed player would be going so I think unless something has happened in the interim, one more player will be gone. (I am not naming the player because it has not been announced and I guess it ain't over until it's over.) I have been checking Verbal Commits and see nothing about our player or the potential landing school of the player. For the mystery school think Charles Oakley I believe.
I feel funny quoting my previous quote, but this is to acknowledge the accuracy of my source. Andre walker is heading to Virginia Union. I believe that is where Charles Oakley went to school. I hope the kid does well down there.
Good Morning Captain...Does your source feel we will bring in one more player to red shirt next season ??