ProudofPride

Re: Media Thread

Post by ProudofPride »

Newsday has an excellent feature on our buzzer beaters

https://projects.newsday.com/sports/col ... ond-shots/
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ya know what, its been great, but I've had enough with the hype now - prefer to see this team start performing to close the season strong than hanging hats on barely winning games against bad teams.

Please media and Gorchov, I love the promotional efforts, but let's chill a bit until HU earns something worth hyping - it's starting to be detrimental now - no more press reading, let's see some championship level play. Then you can hype THAT.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:Ya know what, its been great, but I've had enough with the hype now - prefer to see this team start performing to close the season strong than hanging hats on barely winning games against bad teams.

Please media and Gorchov, I love the promotional efforts, but let's chill a bit until HU earns something worth hyping - it's starting to be detrimental now - no more press reading, let's see some championship level play. Then you can hype THAT.
After watching that game last night yes enough is enough. What are we going to do rest on our laurels as our number 1 goal starts to fade out of sight?? We need to win important games especially on our own court. There r those that will talk about attendance here but I'd like to know how many HU fans left feeling good last night. Listening to Joe's post game presser there wasn't much optimism in that conference and none of his usual positives "We can't wait to get back on the Court rhetoric. A lot more of a dismal kind of read between the lines message!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Dismal? Dismal is 2-19! This is not dismal. We split with the current first place team! Disappointing yes, dismal no.
We were picked fourth in the League by the coaches and writers. What has changed except for the roller coaster posters on this forum.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Dismal? Dismal is 2-19! This is not dismal. We split with the current first place team! Disappointing yes, dismal no.
We were picked fourth in the League by the coaches and writers. What has changed except for the roller coaster posters on this forum.
This was the feeling I was getting from Joe during that presser and it was clear that he wasn't the least bit pleased with this performance a somewhat deja-vu of the Elon game who BTW have been losing a lot of games lately.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Husid. I understand the feeling. We expected a lot more out of this team. We have seen how good this team can be. With no great team in the CAA this year we should take the opportunity of this window to win the CAA. With no big man as of yet in the fold we see this year as the year to git er done
Polito

Post by Polito »

No HUSID, you're missing the point.

It's the fact that HU was picked 4th in year 5 with an upper classmen lead team, and the front-runner POY (again). Not acceptable.

And the over-hype of things needs to tone down a bit now. It's awesome one time around, now it's just making this program look bush league. This team has accomplished absolutely nothing. Do something worth hyping, like actually winning the CAAT and MAKING THE DAMN NCAAT. Then you can hype until all our heads explode.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito wrote:No HUSID, you're missing the point.

It's the fact that HU was picked 4th in year 5 with an upper classmen lead team, and the front-runner POY (again). Not acceptable.

And the over-hype of things needs to tone down a bit now. It's awesome one time around, now it's just making this program look bush league. This team has accomplished absolutely nothing. Do something worth hyping, like actually winning the CAAT and MAKING THE DAMN NCAAT. Then you can hype until all our heads explode.
Stop, you complain when the program is not promoted, complain when it's promoted...which way do you want it. And what does five years mean? JAM built a team around his transfers, we came within a free throw of going to the dance...then we've had to rebuild again. That's life in mid major basketball. Deal with it or don't, but don't preach to us. We, at least some of us know better.
Polito

Post by Polito »

lol I KNEW someone was going to say that! C'mon HUSID, you're savvy, you should know better! Raise the bar my friend 8-)

LOVE the social promotion during this staffs tenure - have said MANY times and given kudos MANY times

But this is about the amount of promo for the same stuff. At some point it's just too much and starts to look ridiculous. That's all. Nothing to be sensitive about ;)

When ESPN covers it, and you retweet it, and then you compile more links, and then you keep retweeting even more of the same stuff weeks later, it's too much. Kind of common sense to me. Let's keep the focus on what the season is TRULY supposed to be about. I mean I'm not going to lose sleep over it, I just think it's time to tone some of the same stuff down now.

Anyhoo...

What does 5 years mean????? Hm, oh I don't know, how about maybe PROGRESS? Lol, but nah you're right, I guess 5 yrs means nothing. No biggie. D1, rec league, all the same. Everyone make sure to keep your mouth shut and just be happy they play on a wood court instead of dirt. You will support blindly with no expectations or standards, and you'll LOVE it because that's what "true" fans do!!! :lol:

And how long are we gonna ride this 1 FT away thing? Is this the narrative the staff wants you to play on here? How many years is that going to be used to justify lack of success? Just curious so I know when it's ok for me to expect better again.

I guess in the meantime it's free passes for everyone until the end of time! Whoohoo!

P.S. When are getting together? This is all fun, but let's def set some time up - need to catch up my friend 8-)
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

YES REAL SOON...give me a date...

Now down to business...you're a smart guy, it works like this, the PR/marketing guys promote their assets the best they can and how they can....the coaches try and put the best team on the floor, that's how it works...all are doing their job...OK?

Ans as for 5 years it means plenty...this program is in a MUCH better place than it was 5 years ago...we are bitching about a program that has the best player in the League and we are in CONTENTION for a top finish. GIVE ME THAT EVERY YEAR?

ENough moaning...we are NEVER going to the DANCE regularly unless we change conferences...To be in CONTENTION every year and put an exciting product on the floor is good for me.

IF you don't like it let me introduce YOU to Jay Wright and his VILLANOVA program....you can jump on that bandwagon along with the thousands of others

LOVE YA Polito but let's get REAL!
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:Ans as for 5 years it means plenty...this program is in a MUCH better place than it was 5 years ago...we are bitching about a program that has the best player in the League and we are in CONTENTION for a top finish. GIVE ME THAT EVERY YEAR?
i guess that's where we differ. It is absolutely not good enough for me. Anyone who is in the top half of this conference is in CONTENTION for a top finish and a shot at the dance. Everyone has different goals and expectations, but for me, I want HU MBB to be the year in year out leader in this conference. I want us to play well enough so that if by chance we don't with the conference we have a shot at an at large or at least at top NIT home game. i want to have regular season games with 4,000 fans at the Mack.

if this season ends the way it is currently going, and next season is a repeat of this year, my enthusiasm and my support for this program will clearly be diminished.

I still hope for the best.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Cards wrote: i guess that's where we differ. It is absolutely not good enough for me. Anyone who is in the top half of this conference is in CONTENTION for a top finish and a shot at the dance. Everyone has different goals and expectations, but for me, I want HU MBB to be the year in year out leader in this conference. I want us to play well enough so that if by chance we don't with the conference we have a shot at an at large or at least at top NIT home game. i want to have regular season games with 4,000 fans at the Mack.

if this season ends the way it is currently going, and next season is a repeat of this year, my enthusiasm and my support for this program will clearly be diminished.

What advantages does Hofstra have that they should be the best team in the CAA? If Hofstra makes 4 NCAA Tournaments, 4 NITs, 4 CBIs or CITs, and 8 seasons without a postseason game in the next 20 seasons; with an average attendance of 3,000 for the 20 seasons combined; I think everybody here should be happy (unless Hofstra makes those NCAA Tournaments by going to a worse conference and/or is in a scandal).
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:
Cards wrote: i guess that's where we differ. It is absolutely not good enough for me. Anyone who is in the top half of this conference is in CONTENTION for a top finish and a shot at the dance. Everyone has different goals and expectations, but for me, I want HU MBB to be the year in year out leader in this conference. I want us to play well enough so that if by chance we don't with the conference we have a shot at an at large or at least at top NIT home game. i want to have regular season games with 4,000 fans at the Mack.

What advantages does Hofstra have that they should be the best team in the CAA? If Hofstra makes 4 NCAA Tournaments, 4 NITs, 4 CBIs or CITs, and 8 seasons without a postseason game in the next 20 seasons; with an average attendance of 3,000 for the 20 seasons combined; I think everybody here should be happy (unless Hofstra makes those NCAA Tournaments by going to a worse conference and/or is in a scandal).
It all comes down to how high u set the bar. The higher you set it u potentially set yourself up for disappointment and considering that we got very close two years ago not only losing the championship game in O/T but then the NIT with a shot at the buzzer you want the next level so bad you can taste it. If that's not bad enough we're force fed from the AD down to the HC that our benchmark is to compete for the Conference championship every year nothing less then that will be acceptable. Now as avid fans we want to hear this and we buy into it hook,line and sinker. So it's not hard to imagine anything that borders on just an average year is not going to be acceptable to us. It's what we want to hear but again how realistic is this? You have 9 other teams in this league that may be preaching this same philosophy!!
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:It's what we want to hear but again how realistic is this? You have 9 other teams in this league that may be preaching this same philosophy!!
I don't think that's true. You invest in a fantastic practice facility. You have an NBA guy working with players and helping to recruit. You go out and hire a coach who I understand is the highest paid coach in the CAA. You give him a raise and extension. This doesn't sound to me like all the other teams in the CAA!

I don't think consistently being in the top 75 RPI and having 20 or 20+ winning seasons is out of the realm of possibilities. And realistically, we are not that far away now. Take away the stinker games like Siena and Manhattan, reverse a W&M or Elon game and this season is very different. We would be looking at top 75 and a 20 win season. I just think too many of you guys set the bar tooooo low.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Cards, What if we look at the season with loses in the two games with JR buzzer beaters against MU and TU. Add the JMU game with an end of regulation time game tying JWF jumper with the eventual OT win. If the ball bounces a little differently, the season record now appears as 9-12 overall, and 3-6 in the CAA. These three results were all very fortunate, and quite frankly, very lucky wins. This would completely change our evaluations.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Cards I would like to think that we have the POTENTIAL to reach the goals you aspire to but under the current administration I'm sorry to say that it just wont happen.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

HUsid that is why so many of us are frustrated.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

tosee how far behind we are with the top schools in the CAA. Our mens team is #7 in attendance and women are #9. mens attendance is 1,486 per game while JMu is 2,232. Only problem is Im comparing our mens attendance the the JMU womens attendance. Sorry guys but that is pathetic.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

There is an article in Newsday about Tom Pecora as a Quinnipiac assistant coach. Our old friend, Steve Marcus wrote that TP regretted leaving HU for the Fordham job eight years ago. So, I will ask the board members again, what do you think would have happened if TP had remained HU's coach?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

with Jenkins Chaz williams and Kanacevic we would have won the CAA and been in the NCAA tourney.