Media Thread

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: Media Thread

Post by Cards »

yes - and you are right on regarding Kone. I think he will serve as a good mentor to Walker and Gustys this year.

There certainly is alot of flexibility in this years squad. Seems to me that substitutions made for starting 5 during games will not represent a drop off in talent/ability (except maybe for Green [I'm expecting a lot out of him]). JM will realistically have a group of about 8 players from which any 3 + a big + Green could be the starting 5 on any given day.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

NYC Buckets has Hofstra listed on their list of predicted NCAA auto bid teams. http://www.nycbuckets.com/2014/10/way-e ... ojections/
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Only ONE CAA team among all those projected post-season contenders?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

If the CAA is so bad that nobody makes or gets considered for the NIT, the automatic bid could mean a First Four game.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Wow, now a pub picking them for the tourney... def love seeing all the positive after yrs of turmoil, BUT let's at least get them on the court first! lol

man, so much for sneaking up on people!! :D

(p.s. I agree and see this as a very real possibility - I don't care how good or bad the conf is this yr, at this stage I just want to see HU turn around the program and get back to the dance, in anyway shape or form - let's do that first, and then can talk about improving from there)
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Cards

Post by Cards »

Love it! At least we on this board are not the only ones who seem excited about the upcoming season.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://caasports.com/index.aspx?path=hofstra

The CAA website now has a page for each school with basic information and links to CAA articles that include them.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Good stuff!! Awesome look from Rothstein

the anticipation is getting thick fellas, ready for the resurgence!!

Also, I just want to note, his point about the conference being open and winnable is EXACTLY why I have no desire to see the CAA expand at this point - NONE. ZERO. ZILCH.

Adding SBU or Albany or anyone else of that nature will do absolutely NOTHING for this conf except make it a longer road to win - they will NOT make it a 2 bid league - it will do absolutely nothing for HU.

And quite frankly, I know this may sound stingy or weak or whatever, I don't care, I offer no apologies for that statement - HU has been battered and beaten in the VA favored good ol boy conf for a *DECADE* - it's FINALLY in a state that actually FAVORS HU, I mean it's what most of us have been hoping for all these yrs, let's take advantage!!

I know the conf is down right now, but there are still some schools that have been or can be pretty solid at the mid level, and will be again - as long as HU is good enough they'll help their own seeding in post-season play

Yep, I like the CAA as it stands now - go out there and win the whole damn thing HU!!!!!!!!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Polito have no problem with a northern expansion. I think the CAA could be a regular 2 bid conference. When I look at possible schools I look at all their programs. Both Albany and SBU bring a lot to the table. Albany football has been solid. Their field hockey team is one of the best in the northeast. SBU womens lax with Joe Spallina is nationally ranked. I am not saying it should be done next year but in the forseeable future. JMU has one foot out the door if the right conference calls. If they go expect Delaware to follow.Other than Northeastern we are the northern most school.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Stu, your points have NOTHING to do with my mine - you need to remember where HU is right now, and understand I'm coming from a stance of what's best for HU - I'm done with what's best for the CAA, it's time to focus on putting HU in the best position to WIN:

- football is meaningless to HU at this present time - Albany being good is completely pointless for HU
- Field Hockey? or any other non-revenue sport, see above

Albany and SBU will NOT, I repeat, N O T ... no wait, I upgrade, N E V E R make the CAA a 2 bid league - if that's what you're thinking, that those schools would produce multiple bids in bball, you need to change your grade of drug bud - the programs with the best shot at making noise and knocking off big boys are already in: HU, Drexel, UD, UNCW, Towson, NE.... those programs at their peak is what can produce more bids or better seeding - not adding in other mids just for the sake of adding - that will only make things more difficult than they need to be - been there, done that.

adding those schools will do NOTHING to help HU - the ONLY instance I would agree on expansion is if like you said there is a NEED to REPLACE - replacing is different from adding - but let's have that happen first

Point stands --> expansion for the sake of expanding in the north does absolutely nothing good for HU, in particular nothing good for bball - which like it or not, that is the focal point at HU at this time.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Polito our time is right now. We have at-large talent, imo.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Polito you are working too hard. I said not now or next year but in the forseeable future when JMU, Delaware and possibly Towson leave the CAA.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree the potential is there for at-large, but it's a loooong shot - not something I'd want to bank on - ONLY if HU puts out during OOC and beats the high major conf teams - if not, doubtful - CAA is nowhere even close to at-large consideration without some very high-profile OOC wins...

Stu, where exactly are all those schools going? I know JMU wants out, but where? what conf is taking all these guys? Conf USA? How many teams can one conf have lol - it's already just one big hodge podge of programs that still doesn't garner major respect yet - you may be jumping the gun based on the VA 3 - let's think about how long it took and how much success they had to have before making those moves - I mean VCU and Mason made it to the FINAL FOUR for goodness sake - and ODU made the FULL all out commitment to be FBS in football - $ spoke in all 3 cases and it still took a tremendous shake up for them all to happen - it was major news for a reason, very uncommon - and none of those schools, regardless of what their fans want to believe, offer anything close to that yet - it's not impossible by any means, but I think I'd like to see how things play out first

I agree, IF schools leave then the CAA can and should REPLACE - but expansion?? NO THANKS
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Didnt make myself clear. Northern schools not for expansion but to replace those that leave. Dont want the CAA to be too southern centric.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. All on the same page then.

Look, my interest at this point is HU - the CAA is actually very well positioned and proportioned for HU to stake claim in several areas - only took over 10 yrs for that to happen but it's finally ripe for HU's taking ! lol let's keep it that way as long as possible

HU Athletics resurgence (albeit without football for now) is literally at the doorstep - kick that thing open!!!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Hofstra is receiving votes in College Basketball Talk's Mid Major Power Rankings. Only CAA team mentioned.
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... -rankings/
Polito

Post by Polito »

and the swell builds...

guess we'll find out soon what kind of leadership this team has, both players and coaches - lot of anticipation, will take strong leaders to handle the new attention and stay focused and level-headed

critical time for this program IMO - and damn EXCITING! :P
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Juan'ya Green honorable mention on College Basketball Talk's Mid-Major All-Americans
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... 16/508809/
Polito

Post by Polito »

keep the positive attention coming!

super scenario would be him having a big yr and HU exploding on the scene in the tourney!