Media Thread

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Pride97

Re: Media Thread

Post by Pride97 »

If anyone watched the broadcast, it sounded like the announcers read the Newsday article. They brought up the brother angle quite a few times. Was great to hear them keep talking up HOFSTRA players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I tweeted at Newsday to get a mention on the back page for winning the CAA
https://twitter.com/mookie19/status/703773866703904768

While I'm sure this had absolutely nothing to do with it, it was nice to see a little blurb on the back of today's edition. They had Laura Albanese at the game yesterday and she wrote a very nice article. (It probably helps that SB lost yesterday as well)

It was nice to see a full press row yesterday. Since the school doesn't do a great job promoting the team, I'm hoping all this coverage will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Yen but then again this morning all the radio stations talked about EVERY game under the sun except for us! What is going on here? Back when I was SID if a station didn't run our game results I would have been all over them!!!!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yeah, the SID probably needs to be more aggressive in that area... program needs proactivity and someone to literally be on top of this stuff every day

As for Newsday, it's up and down - they've done some good pieces over the yrs, but there is certainly some skewed coverage and a level of favoritism towards SBU that's very obvious - but like I've always said, it doesn't matter when HU takes care of business - just keep winning and FORCE them to cover - you can't ignore a champion without looking totally lost, behind, and foolish :P

Their over-allegiance to SBU can and will bite them in the butt though in the very near future - HU has nothing to worry about other than to take care of it's own business, and it'll all work out.

I did crack up at their last article that labeled Green as a "strong" POY candidate - LOLOL "strong"?? Newsday, please, c'mon, stop it. He's the LEADING POY candidate, and you know it. I mean that just sounded idiotic. :lol: :lol: :lol:
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We just moved ahead of SBU in the RPI...wonder if Newsday will report that
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Not about Hofstra athletics, but University Primetime published a fun article today called "20 Facts About Hofstra University You Might Not Know". I didn't know a lot of these, mostly the historical things, but they were all pretty interesting. It mentions having 3 current players in the NFL, although the Saint released Marques Colston today so it's only 2 until he finds a new team to play for.
http://www.universityprimetime.com/20-f ... -not-know/
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Colston was 82nd in receiving yards last year, so if you make groups of 32 because there are 32 teams, he would be in the third group. Given what he has done, I think he should count as an active player while he is a free agent. I wouldn't consider him inactive until he retires or a season starts without him on any team's roster.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Anyone catch the News12 piece?

Wonder if the ESPN interview will be archived...
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Polito wrote: Wonder if the ESPN interview will be archived...
Here's the ESPN interview. Luckily it was archived, I doubt many people were able to hear it live at 1:30 in the morning on a weekday.
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=14888833
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

JAM was on CBS Sports radio last night. Very good interview, it starts around 11:45 in the linked podcast. There are several on that website, it's the one titled "THU. 3/3 #2: SOUND CHECK / MID-MAJOR MOTHERSHIP / TY COBB CARDS"

http://da.radio.cbssports.com/audio/the-da-show/
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Newsday has a feature on Speedy and Jay Wright

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/c ... 1.11634979
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

HU just became the new location for the First Presidential Debate on Monday September 26th after Wright State in Ohio declined as host because of the anticipated large costs for security. I guess the fall schedules for a few of the teams will now have to be adjusted because of the proximity to the Mack Arena. HU having hosted two previous debates will probably have security and logistical plans to use again. What a great honor for HU and I hope the lack of advance notice will not be too difficult for the athletic department and the rest of the campus to deal with.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Love it - I think this is a GREAT thing that HU does, and kudos to them for being proactive and continuing to pursue these events.

And this one, in particular, will be wild :shock: :lol:
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Hopefully they will have ample security. Do not need protesters doing damage to Hofstras campus.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: Hopefully they will have ample security. Do not need protesters doing damage to Hofstras campus.
I agree. Newsday said police working overtime for the debate will be a big expense for taxpayers.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I thought it was a nice offering that President Rabinowitz made to Wright State to allow about 15 of their students to attend the September 26th Debate at HU.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

SNY/ Adam Zagoria interviews JAM about the debate since the two campaigns are taking over the 2 basketball locker rooms. https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/n ... _203134238
Polito

Post by Polito »

I'll tell ya one thing, JM is fantastic when it comes to tough situations with this school - he is a master of fielding difficult situations, and has dealt with this perfectly in the public eye

Because I can guarantee this has been a HUGE challenge and negative impact to recruiting in this cycle - HU has not had a single official visit yet to anyone's knowledge, and nearly every other CAA school has already not only had officials but more importantly they have commitments for '17

HU is majorly behind with 4 spots still to fill - don't get me wrong, there is plenty of talent out there still, but this makes a very difficult job that much harder - yet not one single negative word from him, not even a minor hint at this tough hand they've been dealt

Kudos to you JM, you are a saint and have handled this situation beautifully and as a true leader!
Wags

Post by Wags »

NBCSports picks HU 5th next season:

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... eir-crown/
Polito

Post by Polito »

solid brief write-up, and sounds reasonably fair to me

I love the mid-to-low pre-season rankings for HU - all the better to shock everyone

My best case scenario, outside of HU going ballistic and winning the whole thing :D , is for UNCW to win it all again and we say buh-bye to Keatts as he is destined to move on to a big time program - 3 NCAA's in 3 yrs in the CAA with Pitino pedigree = automatic P5 job

This will blow open the door for HU to go all out the following season '17-'18 when I think the program is positioned beautifully for it's long-awaited return to the big dance

I salivate at the thought of this staff recruiting with national spotlight 8-)