Columbia game

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Captain

Columbia game

Post by Captain »

The game at Columbia should be a good one. If you have never been to Columbia, think about going to the game. The university is located in Manhattan between Broadway and Amsterdam with the main entrance on 116th st. It's a nice campus and is very safe as is the neighborhood. Many of their students will be on semester break so attendance might not be great. It's a gym (named Levien) not an arena and the entrance to the gym from inside the campus is near 120th st. closer to the Broadway side of the campus.
There are plenty of places to eat on Broadway near the campus, so going into the city for an early dinner then a good game might be nice.
You can get there by subway from Times Square (#1,2 or 3) or drive in over The Triboro (RFK) into Manhattan and then cross 125th st to Broadway and then head down to the campus. Am I making this easy enough? Both Broadway and Amsterdam have metered parking which probably only needs payment until 7PM so if you get there a bit early you may only have to meter park briefly not garage it.
I am a Columbia and Hofstra alum but the heart is with the Dutchmen in this game. The last time these 2 teams played, I think Carlos Rivera hit a game ending shot to win it.
doug

Re: Columbia game

Post by doug »

Thanks for the info. I'm probably going to the game.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Captain wrote: The last time these 2 teams played, I think Carlos Rivera hit a game ending shot to win it.
The last time the teams played, Hofstra won 64-40 on December 22, 2004.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Evan has it been ten years since that storm prevented Columbia from coming to the Mack because they got stuck on the throggs neck bridge.
Captain

Post by Captain »

The Rivera last second shot was a game on TV at Columbia...Stokes and company may have been freshmen...
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Re Rivera's last second shot - If my memory serves me correct - that was Stoke's coming out party - believe it was his first start and had breakout game (and changed my opinion about him!)
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

It was a Saturday early afternoon game - considered going - but it was bitterly cold so decided to watch from "cozy confines"
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Captain wrote:The game at Columbia should be a good one. If you have never been to Columbia, think about going to the game. The university is located in Manhattan between Broadway and Amsterdam with the main entrance on 116th st. It's a nice campus and is very safe as is the neighborhood. Many of their students will be on semester break so attendance might not be great. It's a gym (named Levien) not an arena and the entrance to the gym from inside the campus is near 120th st. closer to the Broadway side of the campus.
There are plenty of places to eat on Broadway near the campus, so going into the city for an early dinner then a good game might be nice.
You can get there by subway from Times Square (#1,2 or 3) or drive in over The Triboro (RFK) into Manhattan and then cross 125th st to Broadway and then head down to the campus. Am I making this easy enough? Both Broadway and Amsterdam have metered parking which probably only needs payment until 7PM so if you get there a bit early you may only have to meter park briefly not garage it.
I am a Columbia and Hofstra alum but the heart is with the Dutchmen in this game. The last time these 2 teams played, I think Carlos Rivera hit a game ending shot to win it.
Any area restaurants to recommend???
Captain

Post by Captain »

I'm not up there often these days but it's a college atmosphere with a selection of places. I think I tried a Mexican (soutwestern?) place on the west side of Broadway around 113th which was fine but I'm sure you'll find a variety of choices. Sorry to not have a specific recommendation. Enjoy the game!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

HUSID80 go to Trip Advisor on you smart phone and put in Columbia University. It should bring up some nice restaurants.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Thanks Stu. Was hoping for some first person recommendations!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

ZMAN3 wrote: Re Rivera's last second shot - If my memory serves me correct - that was Stoke's coming out party - believe it was his first start and had breakout game (and changed my opinion about him!)
That was December 6, 2003.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

ZMAN3 wrote:Re Rivera's last second shot - If my memory serves me correct - that was Stoke's coming out party - believe it was his first start and had breakout game (and changed my opinion about him!)
I don't know, the game Stokes really broke out was against Keydren Clark and St. Peters a few weeks later. I think he had 18 in that game, but was an absolute monster.

I also remember that last win against Columbia, it was a beating. Left it at 24 out of respect for Joe Jones. I distinctly remember Pecora being remorseful at the end of the game. I don't believe we will get a result like that this weekend, more like the blizzard game in '03.

Really impressed with Columbia this year, even with the injury to Rosenberg. Could be a long day, Columbia currently has the #2 Three-point defense in the nation and some size in the frontcourt. Will be a great test for us because many of our weaknesses are their strengths, if we can pull off the victory, it will be a blueprint for how we will need to play during the CAA schedule.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

I have a second person recommendation for you to go to an Italian place called Pisticci. Best I could do. But be advised, like the commercial says, they don't take american express.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Thanks Cactus that's better than nothing...I be sure to bring my MasterCard!
Polito

Post by Polito »

should be a very good game, and a solid test - don't want to hear anything about the strength of this opponent should HU run wild - this is a quality mid major game

biggest thing I'm interested in is how HU responds from a 10 day break - almost like a bye week - will they be rusty, or will they be well rested, hungry, and come out firing on all cylinders?

some teams do the first, others the latter - for some reason that's where my attention and curiosity is for this game - I think it's because I relate a performance coming off a big break to the level of leadership and focus for both players and staff

if they perform well, this team is legit and READY to win now - love to see HU finish the month strong going undefeated in December! ROLL PRIDE !
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Columbia will be coming off the same 10 day break-so no excuses there. LOL
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Anyone know if there's a video feed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Captain

Post by Captain »

dutchalum01 wrote:Anyone know if there's a video feed?

You will have to pay for it but GoColumbialions has a video feed. You can buy a one day pass for $10.95 I think.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Awesome. Thanks Captain!