Columbia game

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraHockey

Re: Columbia game

Post by HofstraHockey »

All Ivy League home games are streamed online if there isn't a TV feed.
HUPride17

Post by HUPride17 »

For those who are considering going to the game, are you buying tickets in advance? Or will you just be purchasing them at the arena?

I'm planning on going with a few friends and I just want to make sure we have everything set!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Just ordered my tix
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Lions opened 3' - currently 2' point choice
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://www.gocolumbialions.com/liveStat ... em_id=9600 has statistics but they stopped updating. Columbia leads 29-28.

Edit: Hofstra missed their first 4 three-pointers and I don't know how they have done since then. Hofstra started today second behind Michigan State in three-point field goal percentage, and Michigan State made only 4 out of 21 three-pointers in their overtime loss hosting Texas Southern. Hofstra leads 34-32.

Edit: Moussa Kone is back. Andre Walker didn't start. Eliel Gonzalez has played off the bench. At halftime Hofstra leads 38-34 and the announcers said Hofstra is 6-1 when leading at halftime.

Edit: Columbia is in the bonus with about 11:00 left. Columbia leads 53-51.

Edit: Green committed his fourth foul with 8:34 left and Hofstra down 3.
Last edited by EvanJ on Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I don't think we worked on 3 point defense at all in the 10 days off…
Green has 4 fouls with 8 and a half minutes left.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

A Columbia player made three three-pointers close together to put Columbia up 64-58 at the under 8:00 media timeout.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Tanksley now has 4 fouls as well. So far, Lo has 28 points, including 7 3's. Most of his shots were wide open with no one guarding him.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Columbia went up 73-63 and it's now 73-70 with 2:15 left.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Not at the game so I'll be very interested to hear first hand accounts

My take is, hey they lost to a good Columbia squad, hats off to them - but HU according to the stats played no D, turned the ball over a lot (assist to TO ratio worst of the yr), and missed shot after shot in the final 2 min

Can't do that when you're a team designed to SCORE - this team has to get the ball in the basket in crunch time - same thing happened vs South Fl, was hoping they learned from that

They were down by 10 and fought hard and fought back - distributed he scoring well and even though they lost the rebound battle as expected they didn't get 'crushed' which was good to see - but clearly a work in progress as they had PLENTY of opps to capitalize and win

Letting a team like Columbia score over 70 on you when that's not even close to their offensive makeup is not acceptable - you def don't want to lose games at your OWN 'game' so to speak

So my question is answered: they don't play sharp after a big break, and they are not ready to win now - don't think they've learned much from their previous 2 losses and that's not what you want to see...was really hoping to not see the same issues

Alas, still can and will be a good yr, team can still win the CAA and cut down nets, or at least pull 20+ wins and get to some postseason play

I was just really hoping to see something special tonight in terms of improvement
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Polite that is why I picked Hofstra to win 18 to 22 games. We are still a work in progress .
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I was at the game and the first item of business was the very nice turnout of Hofstra fans...could have been a couple of hundred and very loud. Nice to see.
Now for the game...Columbia is a BIG team and more athletic than I thought. We had to play zone to try and neutralize their size...we were pretty ineffective inside but they were lights out from three...seemed like all their players hit threes even some of their bigs.
Jun'ya probably had the poorest game that I've seen and early we were not hitting our shots, but in spite of it all we were up by four at the half.
We came out real flat in the second half, turned it over and missed a few shots early. I felt if we scored first in the second, they would have had to chase us and we were the quicker team.
Last thing, the refs called so many ticky-tack fouls on us...they were very physical, especially inside, yet several times Bernardi was hit/rebounded over his head and he was called for the foul...these kinds of calls ultimately got to JAM as he was called for a late technical.
PS..Moussa played but he was not much of a factor...he was gassed on one possession and could not get to a rebound...JAM immediately pulled him
IMO we play this game at our place and we win by 5-8 points. We will rebound and take La Salle Tuesday.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

PS Was there too and it wasn'
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

the all bad
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

A little perspective, UK beat UCLA 82-44 today
Polito

Post by Polito »

heard the HU crowd was loud and proud, great stuff

and def not all bad, hey it was a close game on the road against a good team, and HU still had no bigs - however, they again couldn't produce when it counted the most, crunch time last 2 min of the game - and they had plenty of opps - I think HU was in a great position, had their leaders taking the shots, just couldn't connect

shots won't fall every game, understand that fully - but the TO's and the extremely porous D is what was the worst of it - if your shots aren't falling you DEF can't allow the other team to beat you at your typical strength and nail 3 after 3 - when scoring is off, your D needs to step up and make up for the diff - that's where there's a very clear need to fix

they need to beat LaSalle - really need this W for a variety of reasons (SOS, back on track, get to 20 wins, prove to themselves and fans they're improving, home game, etc)

who knows what they'll get from Kone, but hope he's really ready this time - either way no excuses - adapt and adjust, and protect your home floor!! ROLL PRIDE
doug

Post by doug »

I was there with my son. Very impressed with the Hofstra fan turnout. Some Columbia fans were sitting right in front of us and kept looking back at us when we were loud. I'm pretty sure they were thinking about moving to the other side of the gym. They kept pointing over there.

I watched Columbia during warm ups. They must have made 80% of their shots. They were energized during warm ups as well. I told my son that I hope we have taken this team seriously because they are good. For most of the first half all they did was pass the ball around the perimeter and some one would take a 3 pointer. We played them pretty even during the first half. They would hit a shot (usually a 3 pointer) and we would come back.

It was during the second half that we lost the game. Their number 12 went off on us. He is there best player and averages 16 points a game. He ended up with 29. For a period of about 5 minutes he couldn't miss. Everything that he shot up went in - nothing but net. It was probably a career night for # 12. It was during that 5 minute period that we lost. We made a great effort to come back, but we were not hitting our shots.

For at least the last 5 minutes we had our shooters on the floor (Bernardi, Green, Tanksley, Nesmith and Robinson). As has been said, not much was falling.

It will be interesting to see what Columbia does against UConn tonight.

Enjoyed the trip into Columbia. We had never been there before so we walked around the campus a little (it was cold so not for long). We ate at Tom's Restaurant which is famous for being the restaurant they show on Seinfeld when they are in the diner. The interior of the diner was a set in California, but the outside shot is Tom's Restaurant.

On to LaSalle all of you Hofstra fans.
Polito

Post by Polito »

thx for the recap doug -

sounds like Columbia had a freaky night of hot shooting, which is not their norm - however, I'd counter that and say that HU probably allowed a lot of uncontested shots - hard to believe they made all those 3's out of character with tight D and hands all in their face...

my guess (and I wasn't there) is that the D was prob very loose thanks in part to being forced to play zone

am I accurate?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito I would agree with that assessment...we cannot come out on anyone's guards in man to man right now as it leaves us vulnerable to the bigs going inside. Pick your poison.JAM went small to force them to go small and it worked in the first half...not so well in the second. Add that to us not hitting as many threes as usual...they just didn't drop...we had the looks and it leads to a five point loss.