MBB: Game 30 - vs. Towson (Sat 2/24, 4 pm)

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

MBB: Game 30 - vs. Towson (Sat 2/24, 4 pm)

Post by Wags »

This one will be bittersweet.

The team is playing well, as a legit CAA tourney contender, but it's also Senior Day, and it's never easy to say goodbye to these players after you've followed their careers.

Last time to see Rok play in person for anyone not making the trip to Charleston, and I have to say, that sucks. I'll miss watching his effort on the boards and in the paint. Same with Sabety, and of course, Angus will be leaving as well. But tomorrow is mainly about two things: getting ready for Charleston the right way as a team and seeing Rok at The Mack for a final time.

Unfortunately, with "only" 9 rebounds last night, Rok likely won't tie or surpass David Robinson. He would need 27 boards to tie. But imagine he did? What a way to go out! That's obviously pushing it though, even for a rebounder of Rok's caliber. So he'll get a little closer, add to his Hofstra D-I rebounding record in his last home game, and very likely break Robinson's record in Charleston, in either the next game or if they win that one, the next one after that.

They're going to have to make some room for Rok on the wall in the court-level lobby where Laurel, Nisenson, Speedy, Jenkins and others have their pictures and stats/facts listed.

These seasons are too short. I wish they'd start in Sep. or Oct. But the brevity of it is also what makes it fun in a way, too. Might be a little too much seeing each CAA team 3-4 teams each season. So in a way, it's perfect. Just flies by too fast every year. Let's enjoy tomorrow and send Rok out right and the team off to the tourney on a good note. GO DUTCH! GO PRIDE!
Captain

Re: MBB: Game 30 - vs. Towson (Sat 2/24, 4 pm)

Post by Captain »

Very well put Wags. I feel the same way. I hope Senior Day is well attended. We have a short list of very lunatic fans that hate to see the season end and can't wait for the fall for the next season. However I am really not ready to say goodbye for this season. Whatever your creed, say a prayer or two for this very decent bunch of players and coaches to reach some of their passionate goals!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Amen to that thanks for the memories they were good ones !
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Wags wrote:This one will be bittersweet.

The team is playing well, as a legit CAA tourney contender, but it's also Senior Day, and it's never easy to say goodbye to these players after you've followed their careers.

Last time to see Rok play in person for anyone not making the trip to Charleston, and I have to say, that sucks. I'll miss watching his effort on the boards and in the paint. Same with Sabety, and of course, Angus will be leaving as well. But tomorrow is mainly about two things: getting ready for Charleston the right way as a team and seeing Rok at The Mack for a final time.

Unfortunately, with "only" 9 rebounds last night, Rok likely won't tie or surpass David Robinson. He would need 27 boards to tie. But imagine he did? What a way to go out! That's obviously pushing it though, even for a rebounder of Rok's caliber. So he'll get a little closer, add to his Hofstra D-I rebounding record in his last home game, and very likely break Robinson's record in Charleston, in either the next game or if they win that one, the next one after that.

They're going to have to make some room for Rok on the wall in the court-level lobby where Laurel, Nisenson, Speedy, Jenkins and others have their pictures and stats/facts listed.

These seasons are too short. I wish they'd start in Sep. or Oct. But the brevity of it is also what makes it fun in a way, too. Might be a little too much seeing each CAA team 3-4 teams each season. So in a way, it's perfect. Just flies by too fast every year. Let's enjoy tomorrow and send Rok out right and the team off to the tourney on a good note. GO DUTCH! GO PRIDE!
Wags, very well said...you must be a writer! These senior nights are always bittersweet with the knowledge that these kids have grown up, have given us some great moments and are now moving on.

Would be great for this group to win a CAA Championship! That would make for a fitting legacy!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID74 wrote:
Wags wrote:This one will be bittersweet.

Wags, very well said...you must be a writer! These senior nights are always bittersweet with the knowledge that these kids have grown up, have given us some great moments and are now moving on.

Would be great for this group to win a CAA Championship! That would make for a fitting legacy!
Hear, hear.
Hard worker. If he cant beat the Admirals record - go out with (at least) 4 more wins.
Thanks for the entertainment, Rok (seems like yesterday that we beat out URI for him).
Last edited by daHUPride on Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We're 5 point favorites in this game per Newsday. I don't know who their starters will be but looking at their last game vs NE Brian Starr their senior guard who normally starts didn't play. He scores 8.5 a game so that could be a factor if he is out. Aside from this Towson at least on paper appears to be a solid team and this looks to be a competitive game. They go with a four guard offense with their tallest starter at 6'7" unless they start Thomas who's 6'9". HU needs to seal the deal on senior day!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

All three seniors should start with jwf and buie. After 2 minutes it should be our regular starters in the game.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:All three seniors should start with jwf and buie. After 2 minutes it should be our regular starters in the game.
Angus will not play, he is out with a serious hip injury. All you people who say start Rock/Hunter together will get your wish for a minute or so.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

A big thank you to Rok and Hunter. In my 20 years following the program, our 5 spot has never been stronger than it has been the last 2 seasons. Rok is the best starting center and Sabety is the best backup center we've had since I've started watching the team. I always thought Sabety was slightly underused, but I can't really complain when the starter has accumulated 1,300 rebounds. I hope they can finish their careers by cutting down the nets in a few weeks. We are all pulling for you.

Thanks to Joel Angus for coming to Hofstra for 1 year. It sounds like he has a serious injury but if he isn't out for the season, I hope he can give us some quality minutes down in Charleston.

Lets finish strong today and then it's SHOWTIME.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Agree with all -Rok and Hunter are the best 5 spot combo I can recall seeing at HU. Hope they both enjoy this last home game - I know I have enjoyed watching them both.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Love Rok, but I can't help but think Uter was more electric than he. Might not have been a stat stuffer, but I felt as if he was an awesome 5 for us.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote:Love Rok, but I can't help but think Uter was more electric than he. Might not have been a stat stuffer, but I felt as if he was an awesome 5 for us.
Loved Uter! Wish Hofstra had a guy like him every year, but I think it's selling Rok's career way short to not say that Rok had a more impactful four years than Uter's two years at HU.
Wags

Post by Wags »

41-37, Hofstra. Been tight every since HU recovered from a 7-0 Towson run that put the Tigers up 14-7.

W&M beat Charleston 114-104 in OT, making this game very important for HU now.

A win, HU gets the 3 seed.

A loss, it's a rematch with Towson in the 4/5 game. Not only is that potentially tougher than say Elon or Drexel, but it's a potential semis match with Charleston instead of possibly facing them in the finals as a 3 seed.
Last edited by Wags on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:41-37, Hofstra. Been tight every since HU recovered from a 7-0 Towson run that put the Tigers up 14-7.

W&M beat Charleston 116-102 in OT, making this game very important for HU now.

A win, HU gets the 3 seed.

A loss, it's a rematch with Towson in the 4/5 game. Not only is that potentially tougher than say Elon or Drexel, but it's a potential semis match with Charleston instead of possibly facing them in the finals as a 3 seed.
Now that I think about it, that 2OT heartbreaker in Baltimore, on Dixon's shot... although HU lost, they were right there in a 5 vs. 1 game. Maybe sometimes it's easier to catch the top seed in the semis thatn when they might be more focused playing for a championship. So maybe it's not such bad thing being on the same side of the bracket as the top seed.

Still, it's better to get this one today and go Charleston with 4 straight wins than off of a home Senior Day loss.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I guess we forgot how to rebound?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra won 91-86. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400991463 is the Associated Press Recap titled "Hofstra pulls away late, beats Towson 91-86." The article named Wright-Foreman and four players on Towson. Here are my comments:

1. Wright-Foreman (5 assists and 1 turnover) and Buie (4 assists and 1 turnover) had good assist/turnover ratios, but shot worse than they average. Wright-Foreman scored 27 and shot okay, but not special. Buie made 2 out of 7 field goals and had 4 fouls.

2. Pemberton and Gustys shot field goals well and scored 15 each. Pemberton had 5 rebounds, which is just above his average of 4.8. Gustys had 8 rebounds.

3. Zane Martin had 36 points, 6 rebounds, and 6 assists. He became the first CAA player since at least 2010-2011 to have that many points, rebounds, and assists. He also became the first player since at least 2010-2011 to do that against Hofstra, and no Hofstra player has done that since at least 2005-2006. Jenkins came close with 40 points, 5 rebounds, and 6 assists.

4. Towson had all three shooting percentages better than Hofstra, but Hofstra attempted 22 more free throws. Hofstra's 40 attempts were way above their previous season-high of 31 at Stony Brook. It was Hofstra's most free throw attempts since Hofstra shot 37-42 at Towson on February 18, 2015. That was 102 games ago. Hofstra won both games by 5.

5. Dennis Tunstall had a big day. He started averaging 2.5 points and 3.7 rebounds. He had 7 points, led all players with 13 rebounds, and did not miss a shot. He tied his career-high in rebounds, which was against non-Division I Gocuher. His previous career-high in rebounds against a Division I team was 8. He had as many rebounds as the top two Hofstra players combined (Gustys had 8 and Pemberton and Ray tied with 5). I wonder what odds you could have gotten on Gustys playing 26 minutes, Tunstall having as many rebounds as the top two Hofstra players combined, and Hofstra winning.

6. After having early turnovers, Hofstra had only 1 in the second half. Hofstra's assist/turnover ratio of 14/8 = 1.75 was a lot better than Towson's 10/14 = about 0.71.

7. Although Martin had a big game, Hofstra stopped Towson's second leading scorer, Mike Morsell. He was averaging 14.1 points per game. Today he had 10 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist, 5 fouls, and 4 turnovers, and he missed all five of his threes.

8. Towson had 12 more rebounds and 7 more second chance points.

9. Ray had 11 points and tied his career-high with 5 rebounds. He was averaging only 1.3 rebounds. He led all players in plus/minus with +8. Wright-Foreman and Pemberton were +5 because they played the whole game.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Still no recap on go hofstra sad............. I was at the game and saw IMO a very tough hard fought battle by two good offensive teams and just average defensive teams. Kudos to the seniors and a very good game from ROK (WITHOUT REFERRING TO THE FT LINE) We had a nice second half with JWF doing his thing and JR coming off the bench to score important points to keep the game out of reach. Again important FT's missed in this game by JWF,ST and ROK. When we went with a 4 guard offense they were beating us up in the paint getting offensive boards and put backs. We went with JR over ST and their size capitalized on the mismatches.We got offense but gave up size and Gorham was having a nice day in the paint. He also was playing like an animal and even though I'm aware of how physical they can be the one thing that was bothering me the entire time I watched this game was how the officiating was letting the game get out of control. There were at least 2 technical fouls called on Towson 3 of their players fouled out. There was non stop pushing people down and very over the top physical play so much so I predicted a fight to break out on the court. The refs seemed to not have a handle on the game. Stuff that should have been called wasn't and chippy crap called that shouldn't of. Just my opinion but otherwise another nice victory for Hofstra. We seem to be on a very strong roll poised to due some damage in the Tourney!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Since Northeastern crushed Elon on the road tonight (81-59) and Charleston lost, the Huskies go into the tournament as co-regular season champs.

Northeastern (7 straight wins) and Hofstra (4 straight) will enter the CAA tourney with the two longest winning streaks in the conference.

Hofstra will play UNCW in the 3/6 game by virtue of Elon's loss tonight.

Elon can now do no better than matching UNCW's 7-11 conference record, but the Seahawks get the tiebreaker due to their season sweep over the Phoenix.

So that 20-point loss at UNCW, which I thought was concerning at the time (because of the margin, not because it was merely a loss), hopefully won't give UNCW too much confidence on March 4th.

Interesting thing Rok shared with me after the game: as much as Speedy loved winning an NBA title, he said Speedy told him that his two titles with Hofstra (because it was home and helping the program reach heights it hadn't in a long time) surpassed winning with the Spurs.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Great night for this program. Decent crowd, great send off for our seniors. Towson is by far the most physical team we have played; borderline dirty with all the pushing and shoving etc. Kudos to our guys for not taking the bait and playing our game.

On to Charleston with a nice winning streak and lots of confidence. Got to like our chances!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Nice win to end the season strong. I think after erasing the early 7 point deficit, we pretty much lead the rest of the way.

Their size definitely caused some defensive mismatches for us and quite a few easy baskets for them. Ultimately our offensive was too much.

Agree that a ton of fouls were called - some of which were questionable on both sides. Was getting pretty chippy. Rok and JM had to pull Ray aside at one point to keep him out of trouble.

JWF hit a bunch of big shots. EP continued his very consistent play. Rok looked good on offense today and I think they should be looking to try to feed him more. He showed some slick post moves and was having his way against their D. While he didn’t have a ton of boards, he did play some good D as well forcing their bigs to shoot some bad shots.

I thought Buie had an excellent game. He did rack up 4 fouls, but he played very aggressive. He was getting to the hoop at will - unfortunately he didn’t finish a few layups that would normally drop. Love the way he was penetrating (especially though Towson’s bigs) which will really open things up if he can continue to do so. He also bit some very clutch FTs down the stretch when JWF, ST and Rok weren’t.

Overall nice performance and feel good going into the tourney.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk