Game 29 at James Madison

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Flying Dutchmen

Re: Game 29 at James Madison

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Very solid win, I still have bad defense PTSD where I think we can blow any lead at any time, a la the Blue Hens, but truthfully we controlled that one from the tip, JMU didn't have the lead for one second tonight.

Pemba has been the best player on the team for the last 10 games. He's been such a force as a slasher and a rebounder and he dominated tonight. He will probably get 3rd team All-CAA, but deserves more.

I'm not sure JWF is at 100%, but regardless, I think JMU's size bothered him a little tonight, and forced him into 5 turnovers. I think JMU also made it a point to stop JWF, which might as well have played into our hand, as Ray had an easy 15 and Buie chipped in 11.

Overall strong team effort tonight. I thought JMU played out of control offensively, and we punished them with our execution. We cleaned up the turnovers in the second half (4), and never allowed JMU to make this game anything more than a laugher. JMU is better than their record and has played well of late, I thought this win showed how far we've come since early January with that cardiac OT winner on that freezing Friday night.

Have to finish strong on Saturday against Towson to lock up the #3.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

When Pemberton and Buie play aggressively they are a hard team to beat. Great game from the both of them. Ray had a nice game shooting too.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Very solid win, I still have bad defense PTSD where I think we can blow any lead at any time, a la the Blue Hens, but truthfully we controlled that one from the tip, JMU didn't have the lead for one second tonight.

Pemba has been the best player on the team for the last 10 games. He's been such a force as a slasher and a rebounder and he dominated tonight. He will probably get 3rd team All-CAA, but deserves more.

I'm not sure JWF is at 100%, but regardless, I think JMU's size bothered him a little tonight, and forced him into 5 turnovers. I think JMU also made it a point to stop JWF, which might as well have played into our hand, as Ray had an easy 15 and Buie chipped in 11.

Overall strong team effort tonight. I thought JMU played out of control offensively, and we punished them with our execution. We cleaned up the turnovers in the second half (4), and never allowed JMU to make this game anything more than a laugher. JMU is better than their record and has played well of late, I thought this win showed how far we've come since early January with that cardiac OT winner on that freezing Friday night.

Have to finish strong on Saturday against Towson to lock up the #3.
Good points FD -
this was solid road W - where we had the lead from start to finish.
Like how we moved the ball and played well on both ends tonight; we especially good when EP, DB and JR are playing well (scoring and nice assist:turnover - what more can you ask for from your guards);
Our FT shooting needs to get back to what it was earlier in the season - poor FT isn't a big deal when you win by 16 points, could be a very big deal in close games.
weird - RG 5 boards in the first 5 minutes - finished with 4 more rebounds in his next 19 minutes.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
stuball888 wrote:so we sow up at least a 4 spot so its 3 games in three days.
They were in great shape for that for a while now, since the top 6 (rather than the top 4) get first-round byes.

7 vs 10 and 8 vs 9 on Sat 3/3

1 vs 8/9 on Sun
4 vs 5 on Sun
3 vs 6 on Sun
2 vs 7/10 on Sun

Semis Mon

Hoftstra cuts down the net on Tues! :D
Let's hope we're playing our best basketball no road blocks/letdown versus Towson at home!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Best thing about this game is just another example on how we don't need Justin to get big numbers to win and we have proven this time and time again. This bodes very well for us going into the tourney and seemingly firing on all cylinders. Now just tighten up the defense a bit!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: I see Drexel winning, only because it's at home. They split with Elon, so it would then go to a tiebreaker for the 6 spot. I think it'll ultimately come down to that tiebreaker to see who HU would play (Elon or Drexel).
Elon and Drexel both split with College of Charleston. Drexel would win the tiebreaker because they beat Northeastern.
The Shadow wrote: All eight of the Saturday and Sunday games are on CAA TV.
"Eight" should be "six."
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Can someone please make a list of all possible outcomes on Saturday and the resulting seeding? Thanks in advance!
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:When Pemberton and Buie play aggressively they are a hard team to beat. Great game from the both of them. Ray had a nice game shooting too.
THIS x 1,000!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

joeg1 wrote:Can someone please make a list of all possible outcomes on Saturday and the resulting seeding? Thanks in advance!
In the past, the conference website would usually have it going into the final games, like this, from two years ago: http://www.caasports.com/news/2016/2/26 ... 62513.aspx

But since I don't see it yet for this weekend, my money is on Evan to post it here first!
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:Best thing about this game is just another example on how we don't need Justin to get big numbers to win and we have proven this time and time again. This bodes very well for us going into the tourney and seemingly firing on all cylinders. Now just tighten up the defense a bit!!
In all three games during the current win streak, they have posted a good point total despite things that would otherwise cause most teams not to:

- 90 pts vs. W&M and 77 at JMU despite the league's leading scorer going 5/16 and 4/12 in those games.
- 88 vs. Drexel despite starting 9/25 at the foul line.

Like I've said all year, the offense is fine. Not perfect, but good enough that they will always, whatever the obstacle, find ways to score plenty. This team will go as far as its defensive effort takes it.
And they don't have to play great, lockdown D, but good enough D that they just don't get outscored despite scoring a lot (like the 90-87 loss at W&M or the 86-85 loss to Charleston at home). Otherwise, this offense is CAA title worthy.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The camera has often captured Eli with the funniest expressions this season.

This one says, "Pleeeeeeease ball, come back to meeeeeeee!"
https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... 1.16917717

But he's a great kid and a good player who I think has a high ceiling in his remaining time at HU.
Last edited by Wags on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Did what we should have done. An away game W - good thing. Lots of positives from various players.

This is the way that we should be beating the bottom dwellers in the conference - convincingly. Good to see.

Poor aspects of the game - poor ball handling in first half, poor defense in second half, poor FT shooting.

All in all the good outweigh the bad.

Looking for a solid game on Saturday. Build confidence and hoping everyone stays healthy for March. This is the time when both players and coaches should be peaking!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Excellent job, a straight-faced business trip and they took care of it. EXACTLY how I want them to approach the CAAT.

I love this W, not because of the opponent (who is awful this year), but because of the timing - this was a road game that would show whether HU had made important progress in team mentality/maturity - a win or loss shows whether they are focused and ready to make a real run.

They won easily. Great sign.

When Buie leads, this team wins. It's crazy, it's almost like I said this last year. ;) Very happy to see Ray back on track, at exactly the right time - the added threat is huge and very difficult to manage as an opponent.

This team has continually shown it can win with JWF not taking over, so that's certainly a plus for HU - however, I would feel a little better knowing he's 100% and playing at top form - think we'll need him to win 1 big one (maybe THE big one) in the CAAT.

But he did a lot of other little things really well, which is why he's a tremendous player (i.e. super spin and assist to a Pemba 3)

Speaking of Pemba, when HU recruited him and obviously more importantly signed him, I went ballistic - must've posted dozens of things on this kid, and felt he was going to be a superstar. He is clearly coming into his own, and it is glorious to see... and this is just the beginning.

I was browsing the CofC boards recently to get a feel for their perspective, and in one HU thread the general consensus was that Pemba was a scary talent, with an NBA frame, and that he was going to wreck havoc going forward - have to say, I agree fully, and it was very interesting to see the top teams fanbase with the same assessment (unprovoked).

JWF is truly a top talent, incredible scorer, and still the best on this team... but with Pemba's size, his potential for pro-level future is through the roof.

Anyhoo, have to like the way this team is playing - agree, the FT's are a concern lately and need to tighten up for the CAAT - but all in all, they are playing stronger and stronger at the right time of year - no letdowns, it's show time on Saturday for the final regular season and home game of the year - bringing the Mrs, kids, my uncle, and a crew of friends to this one (may be in one of the boxes this time). Ready to pack it out, and show them love - need to send them to Charleston flying on all of our full support - see you all there!
garyg

Post by garyg »

I believe Pemberton also had 6 assists which is great to see...
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Evan J, Thanks for the correction. There are two Saturday and four Sunday CAAT games.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito wrote:Excellent job, a straight-faced business trip and they took care of it. EXACTLY how I want them to approach the CAAT.

I love this W, not because of the opponent (who is awful this year), but because of the timing - this was a road game that would show whether HU had made important progress in team mentality/maturity - a win or loss shows whether they are focused and ready to make a real run.

When Buie leads, this team wins. It's crazy, it's almost like I said this last year. ;) Very happy to see Ray back on track, at exactly the right time - the added threat is huge and very difficult to manage as an opponent.

This team has continually shown it can win with JWF not taking over, so that's certainly a plus for HU - however, I would feel a little better knowing he's 100% and playing at top form - think we'll need him to win 1 big one (maybe THE big one) in the CAAT.

But he did a lot of other little things really well, which is why he's a tremendous player (i.e. super spin and assist to a Pemba 3)

Speaking of Pemba, when HU recruited him and obviously more importantly signed him, I went ballistic - must've posted dozens of things on this kid, and felt he was going to be a superstar. He is clearly coming into his own, and it is glorious to see... and this is just the beginning.

I was browsing the CofC boards recently to get a feel for their perspective, and in one HU thread the general consensus was that Pemba was a scary talent, with an NBA frame, and that he was going to wreck havoc going forward - have to say, I agree fully, and it was very interesting to see the top teams fanbase with the same assessment (unprovoked).

JWF is truly a top talent, incredible scorer, and still the best on this team... but with Pemba's size, his potential for pro-level future is through the roof.

Anyhoo, have to like the way this team is playing - agree, the FT's are a concern lately and need to tighten up for the CAAT - but all in all, they are playing stronger and stronger at the right time of year - no letdowns, it's show time on Saturday for the final regular season and home game of the year - bringing the Mrs, kids, my uncle, and a crew of friends to this one (may be in one of the boxes this time). Ready to pack it out, and show them love - need to send them to Charleston flying on all of our full support - see you all there!
Funny, you mention the Charleston boards, I visited the JMU boards prior to the game and afterward. They have got to be the most delusional fan base the side of the Marys. Everyone on their boards thought JMU would beat Hofstra, some felt rather easily, and then even after the game they blamed Senior Day ceremonies for disrupting their team...many of them thought, prior to the Hofstra game they had a shot at moving up to as high as fourth place! They must be drinking that Shenandoah Mountain moonshine!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Just got back from vacation, but Hoffy went 3-0 while away, might have to take another early March. Awesome win last night. Didn't see any of it, but I got some updates. Hope this momo keeps heading in the right direction.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:
Polito wrote:Excellent job, a straight-faced business trip and they took care of it. EXACTLY how I want them to approach the CAAT.

Funny, you mention the Charleston boards, I visited the JMU boards prior to the game and afterward. They have got to be the most delusional fan base the side of the Marys. Everyone on their boards thought JMU would beat Hofstra, some felt rather easily, and then even after the game they blamed Senior Day ceremonies for disrupting their team...many of them thought, prior to the Hofstra game they had a shot at moving up to as high as fourth place! They must be drinking that Shenandoah Mountain moonshine!
When you look at JMU overall season you really have to come away with the fact that they're a better team then their record and have lost a lot of really close games. They're really not a terrible team but a team with a terrible record. They did play a terrible game yesterday however but I guess close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. How their fan base thought they were going to beat us easily is mostly wishful thinking. A lot of loud and angry fans at that game last night and their play by play guys making comments like " The refs just blew another call". Well everyone has their own opinions as slanted and biased as they may be!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Wags wrote:
Dooku25 wrote:Nice performance on the road as it felt like the lead was never in jeopardy all night. We even got the whistle tonight which is rare, especially down south and the home fans weren't too happy. A sign of good team playing well is when you can lead by double digits all night while your top scorer has a relatively quiet night. Pemberton and Buie continued their strong play of late and Jalen Ray is definitely a keeper. He should be averaging in double figures next year.

Btw, did anyone see the Delaware Drexel score? Drexel with the biggest comeback in the history of Division I basketball. Can you imagine these boards if Hofstra blew a 34 point lead? :lol:
Incredible! Completely turned the tables from one half (56-29, Delaware) to the other (56-27, Drexel).
It was 53-19, Delaware with 2:36 left in the first half. Was not aware that was the biggest comeback in D-I! Amazing!
I would not want to see this board had that happened to HU lol.
It's currently the top story in the Top Headlines section of espn.com
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote:
joeg1 wrote: Can someone please make a list of all possible outcomes on Saturday and the resulting seeding? Thanks in advance!
In the past, the conference website would usually have it going into the final games, like this, from two years ago: http://www.caasports.com/news/2016/2/26 ... 62513.aspx

But since I don't see it yet for this weekend, my money is on Evan to post it here first!
The bottom five teams are close and I'm not going to spend time doing that.