Game 29 at James Madison

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Game 29 at James Madison

Post by HUSID74 »

Once again, another important game. JMU is playing much better than their record would indicate and its a lousy trip down to Harrisonburg, VA. ESPN has us as 1.5 favs which means absolutely nothing.

We need to take care of business and protect that 3rd place seed!
Captain

Re: Game 29 at James Madison

Post by Captain »

It's late enough in the season that the team needs to power through this game. There are no throw away games at this point. Try and enter the tournament on a bit of a roll with some confidence.
I think there may be a chartered plane for the team at least for their return to Long Island which is a help for the Saturday game.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Straight up business trip.

These last games are the ones where championship teams show they've learned what it takes. Taking inspiration from the movie 300, come back with a W, or not at all.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Have to keep the momentum going tonight and Saturday. Would go a long way with taking the next trip (the most important one of the season) down South.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2018 ... dison.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: James Madison."

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcas ... slive=hofs has statistics. Hofstra is starting their usual starters. James Madison is starting Stuckey Mosley (junior guard), Joey McLean (senior guard), Darius Banks (freshman guard), DeVelle Phillips (junior forward), and Ramone Snowden (listed as a senior forward but he leads his team in assists).

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/hofs ... Type=video has video.

https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... m#team.ind has James Madison's statistics.

https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... m#team.ind has Hofstra's statistics.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra leads 8-4 5:23 in. Gustys has 5 rebounds. Hofstra had turnovers on their first 2 possessions and have 4 so far, putting them on pace for 30.

Delaware leads Drexel 23-6.

Edit: James Madison called timeout down 14-6. Stuckey Mosley has attempted 7 of their 12 field goals and only made 2. DeVelle Phillips is the only person on either team to attempt free throws, and he missed both.

Edit: Hofstra leads 21-10. Darius Banks committed his third foul. The teams combined to miss their first 6 free throws, with the first make coming 11:14 in. I wonder what odds you could have gotten on Hofstra missing their first four free throws without any of them attempted by Gustys or Sabety. That happened.

Edit: Hofstra leads 30-16 with 3:19 left in the first half. The teams have combined to shoot field goals better than free throw. Pemberton leads all scorers with 10. Hofstra is shooting the double bonus until halftime.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Another bizarre experience trying to watch this game. One computer won't show the feed, another does without the score and the Hofstra radio feed didn't work....my oh my you have to be SOME DIEHARD to watch these games!
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Good half, 33-21, have to protect the ball a little better, 8TO's

Feed working fine for me.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra led 35-23 at halftime. Hofstra's largest lead was 31-16. Pemberton with 13 and DeVelle Phillips with 10 are the only double-digit scorers. JWF scored 2, and had 1 rebound and no assists. He attempted he 4 field goals. James Madison players other than Phillips shot field goals 3-19.
At halftime of each game, UNC Wilmington scored 47 in the first and Delaware leads Drexel 56-29. College of Charleston and Elon scored 47 combined against each other.

I didn't post that until after halftime. Now Hofstra leads 43-25.

Edit: JWF scored layup 59 seconds apart to reach 6 points. Hofstra leads 58-42. DeVelle Phillips has 4 fouls and four players on each team have 3. JWF, Pemberton, Gustys, and Sabety have 3 fouls with 7:22 left.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Rare off night by JWF (and to a lesser degree Gustys) yet we still pull out a big win. Wasn't even really as close as the final score since JMU ended on a 9-0 run.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We did what we needed to on the road...stress free win...let's finish it off Sat at home vs. Towson....Senior night!

Where is everyone tonight?...Crickets!
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Nice performance on the road as it felt like the lead was never in jeopardy all night. We even got the whistle tonight which is rare, especially down south and the home fans weren't too happy. A sign of good team playing well is when you can lead by double digits all night while your top scorer has a relatively quiet night. Pemberton and Buie continued their strong play of late and Jalen Ray is definitely a keeper. He should be averaging in double figures next year.

Btw, did anyone see the Delaware Drexel score? Drexel with the biggest comeback in the history of Division I basketball. Can you imagine these boards if Hofstra blew a 34 point lead? :lol:
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Missed some of this game but we seemed to cruise our way thru it for most of the game. EP having another impressive game and JWF barely scored in double figures after having a poor shooting game. This was a game that got out of control for JMU but obviously a nice win for Hofstra where you didn't have a heart attack watching it. Negatives and things of concern poor FT shooting especially Buie and HU in general without having stats in front of me and really complacent defense in the second half. They gave up easy buckets in the second half maybe attributable to the wide scoring margin. ROK sat a lot of the 1st half with 2 fouls and 5 boards. IMO mostly positive coming out of this one considering it was a road game and senior day for them and the fact that they had been playing close games. Nice win!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Dooku25 wrote:Nice performance on the road as it felt like the lead was never in jeopardy all night. We even got the whistle tonight which is rare, especially down south and the home fans weren't too happy. A sign of good team playing well is when you can lead by double digits all night while your top scorer has a relatively quiet night. Pemberton and Buie continued their strong play of late and Jalen Ray is definitely a keeper. He should be averaging in double figures next year.

Btw, did anyone see the Delaware Drexel score? Drexel with the biggest comeback in the history of Division I basketball. Can you imagine these boards if Hofstra blew a 34 point lead? :lol:
Incredible! Completely turned the tables from one half (56-29, Delaware) to the other (56-27, Drexel).
It was 53-19, Delaware with 2:36 left in the first half. Was not aware that was the biggest comeback in D-I! Amazing!
I would not want to see this board had that happened to HU lol.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400991462 is the Associated Press recap titled "Pemberton propels Hofstra past James Madison 77-61." It said Buie had 7 rebounds when it meant 7 assists.

1. Pemberton had 22 points, 5 rebounds, and 6 assists. He's the fourth Hofstra player to have a game with at least 20 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists since 2010-2011. JWF, Green, and Jenkins did that four times each, and that obviously includes only two seasons for Green and one for Jenkins since it goes back to his senior season. The only CAA teams with two players who have had a game with at least 20 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists this season are JWF and Pemberton and William & Mary's Nathan Knight and Justin Pierce.

2. Considering how many shots JWF takes, it's rare for our opponent to have the two players with the most field goal attempts. They were Stuckey Mosley and Matt Lewis.

3. JWF had the most turnovers on Hofstra, tied for the most fouls, and tied for the worst field percentage excluding players who didn't attempt any.

4. For the second consecutive game, Hofstra shot field goals better than free throws, and Gustys only missed 1 free throw. We also did that in consecutive games against Clemson and Auburn. Before this season, Hofstra did not do that in consecutive games since February 13, 2007 at Old Dominion and February 17 hosting Holy Cross in a BracketBuster. Coincidentally, I was at the Holy Cross game, and I'm going on Saturday, so if it becomes a three game streak, I will be there. I average going to 2 games per season.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Good, take-care-of-business win, even with JWF off.
Great sign - says the team has the right mindset and level of focus needed at this time of year, except for...
The FTs again. Just 16/29 after starting 9/25, before finishing 9/10 vs. Drexel last Sat. Eli played well, and he's normally reliable at the line, but just 5/10 there tonight. Have to clean that up as a team. Could cost them everything in a tight semis or title game.

Thanks to Drexel's miracle, Hofstra was the only road team to win in the CAA tonight:

- Charleston by 21 over Elon at home
- W&M by 13 over UNCW at home
- Northeastern by 5 over Towson at home

Here's how things shape up going into the final two days (still a lot of potential movement and various scenarios at No. 6, which would be HU's first CAA tourney opponent if HU locks up the No. 3 spot with a win or a W&M loss this Sat):

1) Charleston 14-3 (@ W&M Sat)
2) Northeastern 13-4 (@ Elon Sat)
3) Hofstra 11-6 (vs Towson Sat)
4) W&M 10-7 (vs Charleston Sat)
5) Towson 8-9 (@ Hofstra Sat)
6) Elon 6-10 (vs Northeastern Sat; vs JMU Mon)
----------------------------------------------------------
7) Drexel 6-11 (vs UNCW Sat)
8) UNCW 6-11 (@ Drexel Sat)
9) JMU 5-11 (@ Delaware Sat; @ Elon Mon)
10) Delaware 5-12 (vs JMU Sat)

I have a feeling W&M plays well at home on Senior Day, and Charleston no longer needing the game, I think has their streak snapped (which might be good for them).
I think Northeastern wins to tie Charleston, but the positions won't change in that scenario since Charleston swept Northeastern this year.
I think Hofstra wins to clinch 3rd and lock Towson into 5th because...
I see Elon losing, then winning.
I see Drexel winning, only because it's at home. They split with Elon, so it would then go to a tiebreaker for the 6 spot. I think it'll ultimately come down to that tiebreaker to see who HU would play (Elon or Drexel).
I think Delaware rebounds from the worst blown lead in D-I history and wins at home. I think JMU loses twice, and since they already lost once to Delaware once, they'd lose the tiebreaker and those two teams would switch their current spots.
Last edited by Wags on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:43 am, edited 5 times in total.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Gohens.net the delaware fans are blowing up the board. Call for the coaches head on a platter.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

so we sow up at least a 4 spot so its 3 games in three days.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:so we sow up at least a 4 spot so its 3 games in three days.
They were in great shape for that for a while now, since the top 6 (rather than the top 4) get first-round byes.

7 vs 10 and 8 vs 9 on Sat 3/3

1 vs 8/9 on Sun
4 vs 5 on Sun
3 vs 6 on Sun
2 vs 7/10 on Sun

Semis Mon

Hoftstra cuts down the net on Tues! :D
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

In the CAAT, the #4 seed plays at 2:30 on Sunday Afternoon. The #3 seed plays at 8:30 on Sunday Evening. The possible #1 versus #4 game is at 6:00 on Monday Evening. The #2 versus #3 game is scheduled for 8:30 on Monday Evening. Both Monday games and the CAA Championship game on Tuesday Evening at 7:00 are on the CBS Sports Network. All eight of the Saturday and Sunday games are on CAA TV. The full schedule is posted on the CAA Conference website under 2017-18 Championships. It is possible that the final seeds will not be completely determined until after the Elon versus JMU make-up game on Monday Evening February 26th.