Buying Tickets and Good Seats For Saturday

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Buying Tickets and Good Seats For Saturday

Post by EvanJ »

I want to go to the game on Saturday. The $18 tickets ordered online were in 113 on the side. I like sitting in the middle so I can see both ends well. There's no way of picking a section to see its availability. The online fees are $2 per ticket and $3 per order. Hofstra hasn't come close to a sellout in a long time, but this is Gustys's final home game (although Hofstra could hots in a lesser postseason tournament). I don't want to pay unnecessary fees or to sit in worse seats in the 200s just to be in the middle, but I also don't want to arrive and have the game be sold out. What should I do?
HofstraMathew

Re: Buying Tickets and Good Seats For Saturday

Post by HofstraMathew »

Call Mike Neely at 516-463-9522; they can process ticket orders over the phone and you should be able to pick your seats.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Strongly agree. Call Mike - He is a very nice guy and works hard to accommodate ticket requests. I have had tix and asked Mike if I could get a few more of the seats right next to mine - he made sure they were not already taken, and then put them at will call for me.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep, Mike is good peeps

And sadly, this will not come close to a sellout. I'm hoping for 3k - hit that and it's a HUGE success. But prob will be in the 2500-2800 range if I had to guess.

As frustrated as I get, this team deserves WAY better - they are talented, great young men who rep the U extremely well, and one of the top teams in a very good league vying for the dance - they have 2 of the best mid major players in the entire nation. Really a shame.

Tried doing our part, but fan apathy around unification runs very deep in the HU footprint (even on this board sadly).

Hoping and praying that the next AD comes in and sees the total lack of proper marketing, and starts lighting some major fires under he responsble rear ends.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Yep, Mike is good peeps

And sadly, this will not come close to a sellout. I'm hoping for 3k - hit that and it's a HUGE success. But prob will be in the 2500-2800 range if I had to guess.

As frustrated as I get, this team deserves WAY better - they are talented, great young men who rep the U extremely well, and one of the top teams in a very good league vying for the dance - they have 2 of the best mid major players in the entire nation. Really a shame.

Tried doing our part, but fan apathy around unification runs very deep in the HU footprint (even on this board sadly).

Hoping and praying that the next AD comes in and sees the total lack of proper marketing, and starts lighting some major fires under he responsble rear ends.
Look at the kids who live in Nassau County walking around with Warriors jerseys, who haven't been to CA a day in their lives, and you'll see why HU has such trouble drawing. It's a great product for the price, in a nice arena, not a bad location, not hard to get to, no bad seats. I enjoy every season, even the losing ones. But a lot of Nassau County sports fans are frontrunners. Remember how packed and how loud Hofstra was playing for consecutive AE titles? The same would happen if they started making a couple of NCAA tourneys or beat a Top 25 team. What they don't realize, because they never bother to find out, is Hofstra vs. Elon in January is fun too. They don't know what they're missing and they only pay attention when everyone else tells fans like that a team is fun to watch, rather than deciding it for themselves. They have to see a certain artist or movie or eat at a certain restaurant because they've "heard it's good." Nothing wrong with that, but it's good to seek good things out for yourself, too, before it gets the buzz and everyone is talking about it. It's unfortunate, but it's just how it is around here.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

College hoops attendance is down all over the place, but the disappointing thing to me is that the student support is crapola this year.

The students stink, don't get me wrong, it's not just at Hofstra, but it's just very disappointing to see this team not get the support they deserve from their peers in the university.

The games are at 7pm Thursday, and 4pm Saturday, incredibly dead times on campus. There must be large swaths of students literally choosing to do nothing but stare at their phones rather than attend the hoops games. It's just sad, it's like supporting the university you decided to attend is not cool. I honestly think apathy to nearly everything is cool now in society. We've had much better support for worse teams in the past, and it's not just a marketing problem, it's kind of a societal problem. I don't think winning titles would even cure it at this point.

But Evan, like other posters said above, you should give the ticket staff a call, they are incredibly accommodating. If you want you could just show up day of as well and have nearly any seat you want in the house.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote: College hoops attendance is down all over the place
One local example besides HU: only two years removed from their first NCAAT berth, and in their still-new arena, Stony Brook is only 2,007 per game this year.
Flying Dutchmen wrote: It's just sad, it's like supporting the university you decided to attend is not cool. I honestly think apathy to nearly everything is cool now in society. We've had much better support for worse teams in the past, and it's not just a marketing problem, it's kind of a societal problem. I don't think winning titles would even cure it at this point.
It does seem to be a societal thing. It's such a microwave/instant gratification, social media-driven, on-demand society (which in many ways, is a good thing, and in others, is not) that I get the feeling that a couple of hours for a college hoops game is a big commitment for many people (especially students) these days.

But as much as I think that, I think it's also a society that yearns to be part of something, especially a winning thing. So despite what I said above about Stony Brook, I do think if HU were to start winning on a much greater scale, and the buzz got around, people would show up just to check it out and to feel like they're a part of that.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Don't get me started again on this subject...we do not do enough to engage the surrounding community...there is virtually no external advertising or marketing...not enough group sales, special events, interesting halftime, pre-game or post games shows. People who come with families love the experience...just not enough is done to get them there,
Our current marketing is primarily email blasts to people who have given their emails...nothing is done to reach outside that limited community. As for the students, their turnout has been VERY disappointing, since the computer thefts which was a LONG time ago.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: Look at the kids who live in Nassau County walking around with Warriors jerseys, who haven't been to CA a day in their lives, and you'll see why HU has such trouble drawing.
I agree. I like some far away teams, but I won't stop liking local teams because of that. I don't like people on Long Island rooting for the Rangers or my uncle living near Binghamton and rooting for Syracuse. On the topic of jerseys, in elementary in Merrick in the 1990s, several girls wore shirts or jerseys for the Charlotte Hornets, but I don't know why.
HUSID74 wrote: As for the students, their turnout has been VERY disappointing, since the computer thefts which was a LONG time ago.
What percent of the students do you think know about the computer thefts? That was over five years ago, so very few students have attended Hofstra continuously since then. Furthermore, the thieves were kicked off the team, unlike the gymnastics doctor and Harvey Weinstein who got away with crimes for years. I doubt the thefts are hurting attendance much. Even if I lived in a dorm there, the thefts would not have made me got to fewer games.
Wags

Post by Wags »

They could have done a much better job marketing JWF and Rok's chase for the all-time CAA rebounding record to the masses.

They miss those opportunities a lot, like when Jenkins was the two-time POY and was chasing the all-time Hofstra scoring record (and got it) -- although the LIon's Den got on that themselves with a packed student section and a lot of signs they made -- or when Agudio was breaking the school 3-point record, etc.

When you have top CAA talent or guys in the Top 10 in the nation in a major category, you have to scream it from the rooftops so people who aren't aware or don't follow like we do will come check it out and say, "Hmm, is he really one of the best in the country at (scoring, rebounding, etc.) and he's right here in my backyard, on LI? At Hofstra? I'll have to go see him play."

That's especially true because fans -- particularly kids, and particularly kids today -- love stars. That's why the NBA is so popular relative to some other leagues like MLB or the NHL. They have always marketed their stars very well.

Hofstra has been extremely fortunate to have had its share of stars since leaving the AE and joining the CAA, with guys like Speedy, Agudio, Stokes, Jenkins, JWF, Rok, maybe Pemberton next year or the after... but you have to let the entire NYC area know it. This year, HU should have been telling the NYC area about JWF's chase to lead the CAA in scoring and JWF being the leading CAA POY candidate, and Rok's chase to break David Robinson's record (ESPECIALLY that one, b/c it might be another 31 years before it happens again) until the whole NYC area was tired of hearing it.

Just can't miss those types of opportunities when you have them.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Wags wrote:They could have done a much better job marketing JWF and Rok's chase for the all-time CAA rebounding record to the masses.

They miss those opportunities a lot, like when Jenkins was the two-time POY and was chasing the all-time Hofstra scoring record (and got it) -- although the LIon's Den got on that themselves with a packed student section and a lot of signs they made -- or when Agudio was breaking the school 3-point record, etc.

When you have top CAA talent or guys in the Top 10 in the nation in a major category, you have to scream it from the rooftops so people who aren't aware or don't follow like we do will come check it out and say, "Hmm, is he really one of the best in the country at (scoring, rebounding, etc.) and he's right here in my backyard, on LI? At Hofstra? I'll have to go see him play."

That's especially true because fans -- particularly kids, and particularly kids today -- love stars. That's why the NBA is so popular relative to some other leagues like MLB or the NHL. They have always marketed their stars very well.

Hofstra has been extremely fortunate to have had its share of stars since leaving the AE and joining the CAA, with guys like Speedy, Agudio, Stokes, Jenkins, JWF, Rok, maybe Pemberton next year or the after... but you have to let the entire NYC area know it. This year, HU should have been telling the NYC area about JWF's chase to lead the CAA in scoring and JWF being the leading CAA POY candidate, and Rok's chase to break David Robinson's record (ESPECIALLY that one, b/c it might be another 31 years before it happens again) until the whole NYC area was tired of hearing it.

Touche! Well said! Couldn't have said it better myself! And it was my firm that did the marketing for Charles' last two seasons. The school spent some money then, we did a Jenkins billboard on the LI Expressway, spent some money in Newsday, on the FAN and some other outlets....it paid off in 3,000 plus attendance in Charles' senior year....Crickets for tomorrow's game except for the perfunctory email blast.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Look at Grand Canyon University. For years, I thought it was a made up school, or it was an online college. Now, they have a student section that makes the Cameron Crazies think twice about their efforts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgInm0yDJ0I

Our marketing team just flat out sucks. They've mailed it in for years, no denying it. I understand it's a tough market to appeal to, but years ago, I remember Jesse Bonfiglio. He appealed to the markets regardless of what he had to do. With the talent that has come and gone through the doors at this school, its criminal to think our attendance figures are this low.

In regards to tomorrows game/attendance. EvanJ, I am sure you can walk up tomorrow and get almost any seat you want. Although I expect some people to go because it is senior night, I do not expect a huge walkup crowd because of the event.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra wrote: Look at Grand Canyon University. For years, I thought it was a made up school, or it was an online college. Now, they have a student section that makes the Cameron Crazies think twice about their efforts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgInm0yDJ0I
Grand Canyon is averaging 7,000, and their leading scorer only averages 12.7. I know someone who broadcasts for Texas-Rio Grande Valley, who averages 802 in the same conference, the Western Athletic. 16 out of 75 teams in the top six conferences average fewer than 7,000. They are Georgia Tech, Boston College, Pittsburgh, DePaul, Baylor, Texas Christian (TCU), Oklahoma State, Northwestern, Rutgers, Colorado, Washington, Oregon State, Stanford, Southern California (USC), Washington State, and Ole Miss.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I got Mike Neely's answering machine, and I didn't leave a message because I don't know if he would hear it until Monday. The box office says it is open weekdays from 9:00 to 5:00, but when does it open on game days? If I can, I would try to buy tickets in person at about 2:15.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

EvanJ wrote:I got Mike Neely's answering machine, and I didn't leave a message because I don't know if he would hear it until Monday. The box office says it is open weekdays from 9:00 to 5:00, but when does it open on game days? If I can, I would try to buy tickets in person at about 2:15.
Cripes, buy them on line...it's worth a few bucks to spare yourself the inconvenience

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID74 wrote:
Wags wrote:They could have done a much better job marketing JWF and Rok's chase for the all-time CAA rebounding record to the masses.

Touche! Well said! Couldn't have said it better myself! And it was my firm that did the marketing for Charles' last two seasons. The school spent some money then, we did a Jenkins billboard on the LI Expressway, spent some money in Newsday, on the FAN and some other outlets....it paid off in 3,000 plus attendance in Charles' senior year....Crickets for tomorrow's game except for the perfunctory email blast.
You both bring up some great points about marketing and getting the word out - but I also think it has to do with the completely apathetic demographics of the area and how they will only jump on the bandwagon when a team/player is really getting headlines. I don't get how there aren't more fans at these games - I think it is great entertainment for a bargain price.
Shame.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

joeg1 wrote:
EvanJ wrote: I got Mike Neely's answering machine, and I didn't leave a message because I don't know if he would hear it until Monday. The box office says it is open weekdays from 9:00 to 5:00, but when does it open on game days? If I can, I would try to buy tickets in person at about 2:15.
Cripes, buy them on line...it's worth a few bucks to spare yourself the inconvenience

Mike called me back and I bought tickets. After tomorrow, I will have gone to 31 games, including seeing 7 current CAA teams at least twice and Delaware and Northeastern once. The previous time I saw Towson was on February 7, 2009. Hofstra won, but I returned home to bad news that A-Rod had used steroids.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

EvanJ wrote:
joeg1 wrote:
EvanJ wrote: I got Mike Neely's answering machine, and I didn't leave a message because I don't know if he would hear it until Monday. The box office says it is open weekdays from 9:00 to 5:00, but when does it open on game days? If I can, I would try to buy tickets in person at about 2:15.

Mike called me back and I bought tickets. After tomorrow, I will have gone to 31 games, including seeing 7 current CAA teams at least twice and Delaware and Northeastern once. The previous time I saw Towson was on February 7, 2009. Hofstra won, but I returned home to bad news that A-Rod had used steroids.
Now that is some good customer service; calling you back on a Friday night without you even leaving a message. The ticket office definitely does a good job for Hofstra; never had a complaint with any of them or the pride club staff.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Now that is some good customer service; calling you back on a Friday night without you even leaving a message. The ticket office definitely does a good job for Hofstra; never had a complaint with any of them or the pride club staff.[/quote]

Prolly reads the boards and saw the missed call. He put 2 and 2 together. Good service indeed.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

EvanJ wrote:
joeg1 wrote:

A-Rod used steroids? Not so sure about that. Greatest baseball player to ever live. People say he used them, he admitted it, but I think he was put up to it. I believe that he is clean.