Buie/JWF Story

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Buie/JWF Story

Post by Wags »

In case you didn't see this already, good story on the friendship between Desure and JWF:

http://gohofstra.com/news/2018/2/21/men ... iends.aspx
Cards

Re: Buie/JWF Story

Post by Cards »

Nice article! Very cool to be in school and on a team with your best bud.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Great story - didn't know they were tied together in their recruiting process.
Damn - JFW - you should have redshirted your freshman year!!!!
KIDDING (sort of).
LOL
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

daHUPride wrote:Great story - didn't know they were tied together in their recruiting process.
KIDDING (sort of).
LOL
Not only were they tied together in recruiting but I believe Buie (or was it JWF?) helped recruit Pemberton.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

It makes for a great media story a tight bunch of guys on and off the court taking us to the promised land!!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HofstraMathew wrote:
daHUPride wrote:Great story - didn't know they were tied together in their recruiting process.
KIDDING (sort of).
LOL
Not only were they tied together in recruiting but I believe Buie (or was it JWF?) helped recruit Pemberton.
WOW!
Intersting.
Do they know any big guys?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Yes but Jesse Govan decided to stay at Georgetown
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

stuball888 wrote:Yes but Jesse Govan decided to stay at Georgetown
Where he is averaging a double/double this year
Polito

Post by Polito »

... on a team that will very likely not make the tourney or do nothing if by luck they get there. Again.

I maintain he should've transferred to HU when the thought was bouncing around - he would've absolutely starred in the CAA for HU and still landed in the NBA, and an HU team next year with Buie, JWF, and Pemba (who I believe will be the best starting guard trio in the league) plus Govan would've been a near lock NCAAT team. And with legit ability to do damage and make a run once there.

Alas...

As far as those 3 guards, I believe it was JWF -> Buie -> Pemba in terms of who primarily helped recruit who - one wild thing I did not know until reading that article is that JWF was prepared to de-commit and go wherever Buie decided if it wasn't HU - dodged a MAJOR bullet there folks!! Great job by the staff to land them both, and more importantly KEEP those commitments. HUGE.

Now we need a Govan-type to come in and go all-stud from day 1 - next years team has a chance to be very very good provided that role is filled properly. Must land immediate impact.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Nice to dream on Govan but then we wake up!! Lets hope we get lucky since we're not looking for a lot of players just a few good ones!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Know what you mean, but this has nothing to do with luck. Recruiting is about working your ass off, and showing a kid he's your #1 priority with an entire wooing process around him. For months. If not years. I follow a lot, not just HU hoops, but Virginia Tech football as well, and the recruiting game is SAVAGE - you need a 'set', and a plan, and the ability to execute year after year after year. And you need to build long term relationships to plant the seeds early, and build a pipeline.

It is THE most important thing in any collegiate athletic program - #1. Coaching/development are a close #2.

I'm not sure exactly what HU's process is (though I know a bit), but every program/staff has their own - HU's has been good for the most part, although I would like to see their regional pipeline a bit stronger. Even though he isn't a center, it still really hurt to miss on Kupsas. I'd wager the staff put the full court press on him, but unfortunately ya just never know how it's gonna go with 18 year old kids.

Regardless, no excuses in this case. It's no secret Roks last year is this one. The staff has had years to work on this, and they are on the hook to produce an immediate impact 5 in this class for next season, period.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Maybe not luck but sometimes being in the right place at the right time can reap huge benefits. Some of our starting players we signed on the rebound from other schools so the possibilities are endless. Unlike some people that post here who seem to be somewhat overly paranoid I'm confident that our staff trying to chase down two BIGS will see this thru to fruition. Our main objective is to get two players who can play the POST but can also knock down a mid range shot. It would be nice also to have someone who's not a liability from the FT line. Anything over and above this PG etc. will be whipped cream on the cake. If this staff can't bring in two BIGS then they to need to re-evaluate our recruiting process. I'm confident!