Men's Basketball Game 28 vs. Drexel: 2/17/2018 at 4:00 P.M

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Men's Basketball Game 28 vs. Drexel: 2/17/2018 at 4:00 P.M

Post by EvanJ »

http://gohofstra.com/news/2018/2/16/men ... ath=mbball is Hofstra's preview titled "MBB: Pride Look To Slay Dragons."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... game28.pdf is Hofstra's Game Notes.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/drexeldragons. ... es_New.pdf is Drexel's Game Notes. Drexel did not write a preview yet.

https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... m#team.ind has Drexel's statistics.
HUSID74

Re: Men's Basketball Game 28 vs. Drexel: 2/17/2018 at 4:00 P

Post by HUSID74 »

ESPN Has us as 8.5 point favorites...time to get on a run, close out the season STRONG!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:ESPN Has us as 8.5 point favorites...time to get on a run, close out the season STRONG!
Agreed Newsday has the same line. A big game for us and they're looking to play spoilers. COC playing @ UNCW today should be a good game and also THE LITTLE Napoleons playing @NE. It will be interesting if we can take care of business today! "THE DUTCHMEN ARE IN THE GAME"!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Drexel #6 in the conference in scoring and dead last in defense. They score 76.7 and give up 83.3 it's no wonder they lose a lot of games. Also don't shoot the 3 ball for a high percentage at .337 and defend it @.374. Next to last on offensive rebounds and down near the bottom on defensive rebounds. We're #2 in scoring and 6th in defense in the CAA. 79.1 and 76.8. We're 4th in the conference in 3 point FG% .370 AND FIFTH IN DEFENDING IT .356. third in offensive rebounds and 6th in defensive rebounds. This will be a high scoring affair much to some peoples dismay but if we don't win this game I'll be shocked and quite upset. It's an important game and my feeling is we show up and take care of business maybe even smother them defensively. Let's hope!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I'd like to point out that triplec2195 was using the CAA games only statistics.

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2018 ... rexel.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Drexel."

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=190317 will have statistics. Hofstra is starting their usual starters. Drexel's starters Kurk Lee (sophomore guard), Tramaine Isabell (junior guard), Sammy Mojica (senior guard), Alihan Demir (sophomore forward), and Tyshawn Myles (senior forward). Austin Williams is injured. He played 15 minutes on Thursday. He averages 9.6 points, 8.1 rebounds (leading Drexel and tied for 91st in Division I), and 2.9 blocked shots (9th in Division I).

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/hofs ... Type=video has video.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Matchup of the top two scorers in the CAA: JWF (24.3) and Isabell (20.0)

Isabell was already almost halfway to that average after just 4:10, with a personal 9-0 run, to put Drexel up, 9-2.

But Hofstra on a 12-4 run since to go up, 14,13. Pemberton with half of the 14 on 3/3 fg.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:ESPN Has us as 8.5 point favorites...time to get on a run, close out the season STRONG!
Agreed Newsday has the same line. A big game for us and they're looking to play spoilers. COC playing @ UNCW today should be a good game and also THE LITTLE Napoleons playing @NE. It will be interesting if we can take care of business today! "THE DUTCHMEN ARE IN THE GAME"!!
A lot more than just a spoiler role at stake for Drexel. They're 1 1/2 out of the 6 spot to avoid the fourth game in Charleston.
Wags

Post by Wags »

22-5 run to start the second half to lead, 54-39. Buie was a huge part of that, Stafford a spark too.

But trouble containing Isabell, who has 25 on 10/18 fg. No one else for Drexel in double figs.

Drexel hanging around. 67-60, with 7 left.
Wags

Post by Wags »

9/25 at the line... 2/17 not including Pemberton (5/6) and Buie (2/2)... Gustys 0/8.

Realize it's way lower than their season average, but that's going to bite them in the ass in Charleston if they don't clean that up fast.
krood

Post by krood »

Wags wrote:9/25 at the line... 2/17 not including Pemberton (5/6) and Buie (2/2)... Gustys 0/8.

Realize it's way lower than their season average, but that's going to bite them in the ass in Charleston if they don't clean that up fast.
Between our consistent drop off in the last 5 minutes of many games and FT's, it will be our downfall if the staff can't proactively course-correct.....
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://gohofstra.com/boxscore.aspx?id=8122&path=mbball is the box score. The attendance was 2,312. It was the first time since February 7, 12, and 22, 2015 that we had at least 2,000 attendance in three consecutive home games.

Team:

We improved our free throw shooting to finish at 18-35 (.514), which was worse than our .534 field goal percentage. It was our worst free throw percentage since we shot 9-18 against Auburn 23 games ago. It was our most missed free throws since we shot 22-46 in a 72-67 win hosting Central Connecticut on December 15, 2013. That was 152 games ago. In the first half we shot threes better than free throws.

We had 8 steals and 8 turnovers. It was the third time in our last ten games we had as many steals and turnovers. The previous two times were against Delaware. Before that we had at least as many steals as turnovers three times in 76 games. The last time we had more steals than turnovers was when we had 9 steals and 8 turnovers in a 81-75 loss hosting St. Bonaventure on December 6, 2016.

Hofstra players:

Wright-Foreman had 32 points from great shooting. His 5 rebounds were over 50% above his 3.3 average and his 6 assists were double his average of exactly 3. It was his third career game with at least 32 points, at least 5 rebounds, and at least 6 assists. All three were this season, and he had exactly 5 rebounds and exactly 6 assists in all three. The first two were in consecutive games, an 89-76 loss hosting Elon on January 7 and a 76-73 win at the buzzer at Towson on January 11.

Pemberton had 16 points and 10 rebounds. It was his second career double-double, his first this season, and his first in a CAA game.

Gustys had 10 points and 17 rebounds. Since 2010-2011, it was seventh time a player attempting at least 8 free throws without making any, and Gustys is the only player to do that twice. Four of the seven times it happened in New York, either by Gustys at home, Amir Garrett of St. John's at home, or Darius Conley of St. Peter's at Niagara. Gustys and Sabety combined to play 38 minutes, not 40, despite neither of them being in foul trouble.

Buie had 13 points and 3 assists. He led all players with a plus/minus of +20. Hofstra was -8 with him on the bench. He had 4 of Hofstra's 8 steals. Ray had 4 steals against William & Mary, and it was the first time Hofstra had consecutive games with a player having at least 4 steals since Tanksley had 5 on February 7, 2015 and Gustys had 4 five days later.

Trueheart had 9 points and 4 rebounds. He shot field goals well but not free throws. He had 3 of Hofstra's 5 blocked shots to raise his average to 0.9, and that's with only 14.5 minutes.

Ray scored 6, but he shot poorly and did not have any rebounds or assists.

Sabety (7 minutes), Wormley (5 minutes), and Radovic (4 minutes) didn't play much. Sabety scored 2, Wormley missed his only shot, and Radovic didn't shoot.

Drexel players:

Tramaine Isabell had 29 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists. He shot well, but had 3 fouls and 3 turnovers.

Kurk Lee scored 11, but he had only 1 assist. He was averaging 3.4.

Alihan Demir had 8 points, 9 rebounds, and 5 assists.

Tyshawn Myles made his only field goal and fouled out.

Troy Harper scored 11, Sammy Mojica scored 10, and Tadas Kararinas scored 2. Drexel used only 7 players, who all played at least 13 minutes, with 6 of them playing at least 20.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

EvanJ - great analysis. Two comments

1. Radovic did shoot one three pointer and missed it.
2. Gustys and Sabety didn't play the final two minutes so that we would play five guys that can shoot free throws. It worked well and trueheart had some solid defense including a block shot in those two minutes.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:EvanJ - great analysis. Two comments

1. Radovic did shoot one three pointer and missed it.
2. Gustys and Sabety didn't play the final two minutes so that we would play five guys that can shoot free throws. It worked well and trueheart had some solid defense including a block shot in those two minutes.
MR had a wide open 3 which he missed and it wasn't shown correctly in the box score just shown as a 2. As good a game as ROK had it was painful to watch him miss badly one after another FT even on his so called favorite basket in the second half. Still his overall game was solid. I thought they would take him out sooner then they did to put some FT shooters on the floor. Thought another solid contribution from ST especially liked the alley oop and blocked shots and another nice game for DB adding points and steals. EP has really got his act together and is playing with a lot of confidence. Imagine him getting a double/double he has really helped on the boards. JWF just another very JWF game and without playing the point leads the team in assists and points in this one once again. The only negative on this game other then our FT shooting was our inability to contain Isabell. We really didn't have an answer for him and he was almost scoring at will. Kudos to HU for a nice win in a very crucial game.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

One other point worth mentioning it seems that we had a lot of people down in the student section but they're were too silent when Drexel was shooting FT's. I remember the days when Jenkins was here there was a lot of noise coming from that section.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I think a big issue in the 1st half - other than letting Isabell drive the lane at will - was the mismatch at the forward position. Trueheart got pulled early for Ray and I don’t think he saw the floor again in the half. We were constantly guarding a 6-8ish forward with a guard.

In the second ST plated a big role in taking that advantage away. It was also nice to see Joe give him a vote of confidence when he pulled down a big offensive board about 5 minutes in. He made a point to get Staff’s attention to tell him good job. Joe seems to ride Staff pretty hard (Hunter as well) so it was good to see Staff play a big role in the 2nd.

Great games by JWF, Pemba and Rok on the boards as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

JWF Is flat out the CAA MVP! He does it all. He literally took over the game in the second half and that's with IMO, a bad ankle or shin. Their #2, the Missouri transfer is a player...the only guy who throttled him was Buie. Kudos to Desure for another outstanding all around game...but those free throws...looks like it's running through the team like the FLU...got to do better than that or it may come back to BITE us.

Third place as the Mary's go down in Beantown...time to FINISH with two wins!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Said this the last game (the win over W&M), but another game that said a lot about HU's offense, to overcome what they did and still be able to score as much as they did:

- Scored 90 despite their leading scorer going 5/16 vs. W&M.
- Scored 88 despite missing 17 FTs today.
- Also says how the game has gone. Scoring is up in the NBA and in college, and in the CAA this year, the winning team has scored 80 or more in 47 of 79 CAA games (59%).

Even with all of the missed FTs, the ones they drew and made were still the difference in the game:
- 10 more fouls called on Drexel (23-13).
- HU took 26 more FTs (35-9).
- HU made still made 11 more (18-7) in a 12-point game, despite the 17 misses.

I thought as I watched it, that Buie, during that 22-5 run to start the 2nd half, was the difference in the game. Joe felt the same. If you get what you normally can rely on with JWF and Rok, and what Pemberton has given more recently over the past several games, and then you throw in Buie's contributions that he's shown in a few games recently, that's a tough foursome to deal with in the CAA tourney. If HU can get them to all do that on the same day fo'r three straight days in Charleston, HU would have a great shot to cut the net.

Rok 0/8 at the line (SMH), but his 13th double-double of the season (10 & 17). He has a decent chance to tie or break David Robinson's all-time CAA rebounding record on Senior Day next Saturday. His 17 boards today put him 36 away from tying Robinson's record. Would be very surprised if Rok doesn't get the record at all (if not on Senior Day), even if HU were to be bounced in the opening round of the tourney (but we all know that won't happen!! Right?).
Wags

Post by Wags »

Interesting postgame quotes in reference to the season-long conversations on this board about the players needing to show some pride (no pun intended) taking it upon themselves to defend, in the context of a flat first half and coming out with good intensity on D which helped spur the game-turning 22-5 run to start the second half:

Mihalich:
"Here's how we do it [at halftime]... we have 15 minutes. At about maybe nine minutes, I go in there and we try to get back out at about five, so I’ve got about four minutes to say things that they’re not going to listen to anyway (said jokingly). They’ll have about five or six minutes to themselves and I don’t know what’s going on in there, but I have a great feeling about what’s going on in there without being in there."

Buie:
"We’re the ones that are playing. Coach can tell us everything that’s going on, but we’ve got to take ownership on what we need to do. We communicate with each other. Everybody listens. One player speaks and everybody listens. We told each other, we’ve got to defend and that’s what we did."
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Wags wrote:
I thought as I watched it, that Buie, during that 22-5 run to start the 2nd half, was the difference in the game. Joe felt the same. If you get what you normally can rely on with JWF and Rok, and what Pemberton has given more recently over the past several games, and then you throw in Buie's contributions that he's shown in a few games recently, that's a tough foursome to deal with in the CAA tourney. If HU can get them to all do that on the same day fo'r three straight days in Charleston, HU would have a great shot to cut the net.
Couldn't agree more. JWF is a scoring machine and Rok is a rebounding machine so we know what we will get from those two. The key to the season for me was Eli and what we got out of the PG spot. And right now, Eli has raised his level of play, scoring 20+ pts in 4 out of his last 6 games including games of 26,27, and 27. Throw in Buie's last 10 games averaging 9 pts and 4.5 assists and this becomes a scary offensive team. If this is the production we will get for the rest of the season from these four players, we will be in GREAT SHAPE to do something very special in March.

The team took care of business this week at home and have clinched that first round bye. So goal #1 has been accomplished avoiding the play-in round. Now it's just a matter of seeding and matchups which I'm not all that worried about. They can beat anyone in the league, especially if they continue to play the way they are right now.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Dooku25 wrote:
Wags wrote:
Couldn't agree more. JWF is a scoring machine and Rok is a rebounding machine so we know what we will get from those two. The key to the season for me was Eli and what we got out of the PG spot. And right now, Eli has raised his level of play, scoring 20+ pts in 4 out of his last 6 games including games of 26,27, and 27. Throw in Buie's last 10 games averaging 9 pts and 4.5 assists and this becomes a scary offensive team. If this is the production we will get for the rest of the season from these four players, we will be in GREAT SHAPE to do something very special in March.

The team took care of business this week at home and have clinched that first round bye. So goal #1 has been accomplished avoiding the play-in round. Now it's just a matter of seeding and matchups which I'm not all that worried about. They can beat anyone in the league, especially if they continue to play the way they are right now.
Really good points by everyone here and it's clear that we are playing at a very high level at just the right time of the year. We have all the pieces of the puzzle fitting securely in place and I believe that all the players know what their roles are and are doing them. The kids coming off the bench are playing well. JR gives us the 3 ball and plays tenacious defense. KW came in last night for the minutes he had and was playing Isabell tough having a few inches on him. Big block by HS on what looked like another easy layup by Isabell and then he scored with his left hand on a nice bank shot down low. To reiterate if we can get some semblance of defense we will be a tough team to beat. Kudos to the coaches and the players for implementing the game plan!!