Baseball to the DR

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraHockey

Baseball to the DR

Post by HofstraHockey »

http://gohofstra.com/news/2018/2/15/bas ... ublic.aspx

The baseball team is headed to the Dominican Republic to play against teams from Major League academies. But hey, they cancelled a three hour bus trip last year for softball, so Stu must be realllllly putting the clamps on the athletics budget.
stuball888

Re: Baseball to the DR

Post by stuball888 »

No AJ I got the scoop on it and it was Rabinowitz who persuaded Hofstra to cancel. My friend works in the Lehigh boosters and the Lehigh Hofstra rivalry is officially dead
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We will not play Lehigh in any sport so long as the AD is still present there
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:We will not play Lehigh in any sport so long as the AD is still present there
This all sounds very foolish and petty...must some underlying issue here.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We screwed up their alumni game. My best friend Bernie Feinstein wrestled for Lehigh and wS suppised to be one of their guest speakers. He came up from Cary NC only to be told that one of the venues. The softball game was cancelled due to Hofstra cancelling the trip one day before the game was scheduled
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Lacrosse team is taking a private jet to Ohio. Clearly some big budget issues.... https://twitter.com/HofstraMLAX/status/ ... 8972238848
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

HofstraHockey wrote:Lacrosse team is taking a private jet to Ohio. Clearly some big budget issues.... https://twitter.com/HofstraMLAX/status/ ... 8972238848
Does Stu know????
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Lacrosse is funded by Metzger. Believe me rabinowitz did not turn into Daddy Warbucks overnight
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

stuball888 wrote:We screwed up their alumni game. My best friend Bernie Feinstein wrestled for Lehigh and wS suppised to be one of their guest speakers. He came up from Cary NC only to be told that one of the venues. The softball game was cancelled due to Hofstra cancelling the trip one day before the game was scheduled
our game was on a wednesday. what school has an alumni game on a wednesday?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

They were honoring past athletes from other sports. On the venue was watching one of the softball games. My friend wrestled for lehigh when they were called the 'Engineers". The AD is friends with a few of the alumni who are now retired. I know bernie road in by car from Cary NC. Needless to say the AD was pissed. So after 19 straight years of playing Lehigh that rivalry is now dead in the water.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

And your source says Rabinowitz cancelled this to save money? I would think it wouldn’t be an overnight trip so the only cost would be a bus and cancelling that late they probably lost any deposit they put down on the bus.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

It was ov ernight because that year we played Drexel the next weekend. They would have had to pay for motels and overnight for the bus driver. With the team not in contention for an at large bid rabinowitz put the screws to the AD and the coaches to cancel the trip. You dont think Lehigh was pissed, then explain why this rivalry suddenly stop. Lehigh was to come here this year but did not sign off on the games this year. 19 years in a row is no longer.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

They were NOT staying overnight for a Wednesday game two hours away when they played at Drexel three days later. Believe me- I've been on the road enough with them to know.

Explain a trip to the DR then, Stu. That has to be MUCH more expensive than a bus ride to North Carolina or something. I don't see anyone bankrolling Hofstra baseball.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

John Russo raised the money himself. He and his pitching coach have connection to the major league teams sponsoring this event. The pro league teams helped with the expenses. Trust me Rabinowitz didn’t empty the vault for this trip
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:We will not play Lehigh in any sport so long as the AD is still present there
Stu, FYI we are playing Lehigh in men's lacrosse this year at Shuart Stadium
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

After this year it’s over. In any sport
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

HofstraHockey wrote:Lacrosse team is taking a private jet to Ohio. Clearly some big budget issues.... https://twitter.com/HofstraMLAX/status/ ... 8972238848
The charter flight was funded by several successful HU alumns. There's a lot of support for HU lacrosse in the financial services community.
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

stu isnt softball in florida for over a week or numerous trips? want to try and explain that one?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Only two trips
the first one is for ten days from the 9th till the 20th. They come back and play 5 games starting march 1st. That is the same as in years past.No extra money since it has always been in the budget. HH makes it sound that the trips to DR was some extra money put in the budget by Rabinowitz. NOT! The Lacrosse team get extra money from lax alumn most noteably Metzger. The coaches at Hofstra spends at least 60% of their time trying to raise money so they can make these trips. recruting budgets and actaully coaching the team is about 40%. I know as a fact that several coaches have second jobs so they can afford to live on Long Island.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:After this year it’s over. In any sport
Hofstra and Lehigh are in same wrestling conference so I doubt that will be case.