W&M @ Hofstra 2/15

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: W&M @ Hofstra 2/15

Post by triplec2195 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Sure we are 1-4 (soon to be 2-4), but the only bad loss was at home to Northeastern. Obviously we should have finished the W&M and Charleston games out, but I don't really think Charleston is unbeatable, even at home.

Obviously, 14-11 says it all, but the only reason I would consider us a contender is because only Charleston has jumped out in the standings, and they've done so winning a bunch of close games.
I'm of this opinion all close games except for the NE home game and I'll say it one more time the W&M game was already in the win column. We threw that game away so these games will be tough but we have been there and done that. I like this team better now then the team without any effective PG play. DB and KW both playing better as is ROK AND PEMBERTON. I like ST playing in place of JA and Justin is a constant. He's a much better player when EP is doing some scoring he doesn't have to force it.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:Sure we are 1-4 (soon to be 2-4)
No guarantee at all of being 2-4, for one (though we hope).

1-4 is 1-4.

Yes, three of the four losses were very close, but so was the lone win, and what does that all mean for March? I strongly believe that HU can keep it close in the tourney against any of the current top 3.

But can they BEAT the top 3 in the tourney? So far, 1-4 says probably not. Probably very close, but not quite. And if they lose tonight and it becomes 1-5, don't tell me they "match up well" against the top 3. I want to see it on the court, and tonight is the last opportunity to show it other than a single one-point win in Boston.
Yeah the glass is half empty or is it?? The one point win against NE was more like a 4 point win when you consider we let them shoot an uncontested three as the buzzer went off not to create a possible 4 point play. I would take my chances with this team playing against these top echelon teams and if we should have to play the COC again keep in mind that's difficult (not impossible) to beat a team three times in one season. I'll roll the dice on that game!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2018 ... -mary.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: William & Mary." He notes that our games against UNC Wilmington were the first time we ever beat a team by at least 20 and lost to them by at least 20 in one season.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
Wags wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:Sure we are 1-4 (soon to be 2-4)
No guarantee at all of being 2-4, for one (though we hope).

1-4 is 1-4.

Yes, three of the four losses were very close, but so was the lone win, and what does that all mean for March? I strongly believe that HU can keep it close in the tourney against any of the current top 3.

But can they BEAT the top 3 in the tourney? So far, 1-4 says probably not. Probably very close, but not quite. And if they lose tonight and it becomes 1-5, don't tell me they "match up well" against the top 3. I want to see it on the court, and tonight is the last opportunity to show it other than a single one-point win in Boston.
Yeah the glass is half empty or is it?? The one point win against NE was more like a 4 point win when you consider we let them shoot an uncontested three as the buzzer went off not to create a possible 4 point play. I would take my chances with this team playing against these top echelon teams and if we should have to play the COC again keep in mind that's difficult (not impossible) to beat a team three times in one season. I'll roll the dice on that game!
Not half empty. Objective and realistic for a team that's 8-6, in fourth place and 1-4 vs. the 3 ahead of them. I'd say that about any team in any conference. You're there instead of higher up for a reason. I know we all want them to win, but sometimes you have to step back and look objectively. CAN they win it all in Charleston? And could my opinion change? Sure. But if you're making a bet, how often would you bet on a team with HU's CAA resume this year vs. that of the three above them as of today?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Both teams started their usual starters. Hofstra leads 11-9. Pemberton has 7 and Buie has 4. Neither Wright-Foreman nor Gustys has attempted a shot.

Edit: Hofstra leads 34-25. Pemberton has 14. Wright-Foreman has 3 points and 4 assists.

Edit: Hofstra leads 46-29, but that's not the biggest lead in the CAA because UNCW leads Elon 49-29.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra didn't score in the last 2:55. Their lead peaked at 17 and is 48-36 at halftime. Pemberton leads all CAA players with 17 and has only missed 1 shot. William & Mary shot two-pointers and free throws well but shot three-pointers 3-10. Wright-Foreman (10 points and 5 assists) and Gustys (8 points and 9 rebounds) are on pace for double-doubles. Hofstra has 8 more field goal attempts thanks to having 1 more rebound and 4 fewer turnovers. William & Mary's star is Justin Pierce with 13 points and 5 rebounds. Nathan Knight has 7 points without shooting well and only 2 rebounds. He averages 7.5 rebounds. David Cohn, who started with an assist/turnover ratio of 2.65, has 2 assists and 3 turnovers.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:Hofstra didn't score in the last 2:55. Their lead peaked at 17 and is 48-36 at halftime.
They're very lucky that W&M only cut into the lead by 5, and didn't get back into the game after not scoring for almost the final 3 minutes of the half.

The defense I wanted to see is the difference right now. Instead of being up only a few (in say, a 48-45 shootout), they're up a dozen, holding W&M to 36.

Pierce hurt them with 13 pts on 6/9 fg, but his teammates are a combined 6/17. For the most part, Hofstra guarded on the perimeter, didn't give too many open looks, and didn't get hurt too badly inside (only a 16-14 edge in the paint for W&M).
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

That 17 point lead is quickly disappearing in the 2nd half...
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra's lead went down to 5 and is up to 70-60. Pemberton has 17 but hasn't scored in a long time. Gustys and Pierce lead with 18 points. Gustys has 17 rebounds and Pierce has 10 rebounds. There's 7:35 left.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Always good to beat the little napoleons, and even better that Pemba had such a big part in doing so!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Did what we had to do...win the damn game! Was hoping for a blowout but I'll take the win...we make a few more free throws and it's a ten point win. JWF was not himself, but he hit a dagger three to make all us nervous Hofstra fans relax...I think he's still feeling the effects of that injury at UNCW.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra won 90-84. Each team scored 10 in the last 24 minutes. Pemberton had 26 points and 5 rebounds. Gustys had 22 points and 21 rebounds. Both of them shot well. Wright-Foreman had 19 points and 7 assists, but he made 5 out of 16 field goals. Ray got 13 points by making 4 out of 8 threes and 1 out of 5 free throws. Buie had 6 points and 6 assists. Wright-Foreman and Buie were the first Hofstra teammates to have at least 6 assists since Powers had 7 and Pemberton had 6 on January 2, 2017, which was the last time we hosted William & Mary. Hofstra had a greater percent of their field goal attempts be threes than William & Mary. Hofstra had a 2.125 assist/turnover ratio of 17/8. William & Mary had only 2 bench points. Paul Rowley, who was averaging 6.0, did not score. Justin Pierce led them with 24 points and 14 rebounds. David Cohn scored 18, but his 3 assists are tied for his second fewest this season, and his 5 turnovers are tied for his second most this season. Nathan Knight and Matt Milon scored 16. Connor Burchfield, who was averaging 1.8 assists, had 5.

Edit: Gustys's 6 free throws were his most since he made 7 on February 21, 2016.

Edit: Gustys had 8 offensive rebounds. The other players on both teams combined had 7 offensive rebounds.

Edit: Both teams had 3 players make at least 6 free throws. I found box scores going back to 2003-2004, I looked at games when both teams scored a lot, and I didn't find any games before today when both teams had 3 players make at least 6 free throws.
Last edited by EvanJ on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cards

Post by Cards »

A win is a win - we'll take it! Amazing how we actually let this end up being a close game.

Big game for Rok - still annoying how he still once in a while lets guys go right past him for lay-ups, but all in all a great performance tonight.

I think you are correct Husid - i think the game plan was not counting on JWF to score big due to sore ankle and try and make up his points by passing to Rok. Most pick and rolls and feeds to the big guy then we have seen all year. 13 combined assists from JWF and DB.

Pemba was real solid - good job!
Wags

Post by Wags »

- Says a lot about HU's offense that with the CAA's leading scorer having an off shooting night (5/16, 3/9 from 3) and with HU missing 10 FTs, that they can still find a way to put up 90 pts.

- Despite doing the above, the first thing Joe spoke about wasn't the offense, it was the defense. He noted that people won't believe that in a 90-84 game, but he was right. They did what they had to do defensively. Only Pierce really hurt them. The 18 from Cohn and 16 apiece from Knight and Milon were kind of quiet. And this was an 85-76 with under :20 left before each team got some very late garbage points to make the final score look like a shootout. The energy was there pretty much all game, they guarded the perimeter well against the only CAA team that shoots over 50% and against a CAA team that shoots the 3 almost 7% better than the 2nd-closest in the CAA. W&M was just 9/24 (37.5%) from 3. Had they allowed W&M to do what they're used to doing, this could have easily been what I was warning against (a 92-90, close shootout loss with the defense lacking). All I said going in was, hold W&M in the mid to high 70s and play D enough that the offense can carry them to a win instead of scoring a lot and falling short like the loss down at W&M this year. Essentially, that's what they did, aside from those last 8 meaningless W&M points in the final :17.

- They're having some fun with Krispy Kreme's "Hot Now" notifications (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/ ... 76544.html). It's fun and it's keeping the team loose. Asked about his 4th 20-pt game in his past 5 games, and whether he is starting to peak at the right time, as the season winds down and they get into the CAA tourney, Eli laughed and said, "Hot now." Those types of things work well with college teams. If it keeps a positive mindset and keeps guys loose, it's great. Seems to be working for Eli and maybe some others... also on Eli, he and JWF might form an unstoppable 1-2 punch in the CAA next year. Really think Eli has a lot of ability yet to develop and harness, and I already believed that after watching him last year. Even more so this year.

- I still don't completely buy it, but I'll go along with it more now than I did before about the UNCW loss after Joe, tonight, echoed what others said here about the perfect storm thing with UNCW having fresh legs with the extra rest after the postponement against JMU. We'll see how that goes on Saturday against Drexel. Hopefully, the focus is maintained and what they did tonight carries over rather than taking Drexel for granted and not bringing the 'A' game.

- Finally, Rok's 3rd career 20/20 game. He's played well a bunch of times since he sophomore season, but tonight was a throwback to one of those monster games he had a few of back then. And after starting 1/5 at the line, he hit four straight FTs like I've never seen him do before -- nice and relaxed, perfect arc, great form, great release, swished them all. It's like a real FT shooter suddenly took over his body. Would be nice if that can be duplicated. He supposedly likes that basket a lot better than the opposite one at The Mack for shooting FTs. That's convenient, since that's the one HU always shoots at in the second half at home. W&M tried the Hack-a-Rok a little bit. So if Drexel or Towson plan the same should they have narrow leads late in their final two home games, maybe he can do the same as with those four FTs in particular. But I've been waiting for Rok to get another 20/20 game since that sophomore year and he finally did it tonight. Also, like I said in other threads... he's normally at around 60% or better, just have to get him more touches. When he only gets 6 or so, he's being wasted. Sure, he lacks some moves and they're all layups, but 8/14 from 2 that way is the same as JWG going 8/14 from just inside the arc. Counts the same, no style points. So sure enough, he was at 57% on his 14 FGA, for 22 pts, and it helped pick up JWF's 5/16 shooting. On that, once again 16 was the magic number (HU now 6-0 this year when JWF takes <=16 shots and 10-11 when he takes > 16 shots).

- Charleston: won it OT at JMU tonight for their 9th straight win. Since HU likely won't catch them anyway, do we root for them to run the rest of the table, with the idea that a loss before the tourney might help them more than going into the tourney on a long winning streak?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Congrats to Joe on his 350th head coaching win (his 85th at Hofstra).
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Wags wrote:- Says a lot about HU's offense that with the CAA's leading scorer having an off shooting night (5/16, 3/9 from 3) and with HU missing 10 FTs, that they can still find a way to put up 90 pts.

- Despite doing the above, the first thing Joe spoke about wasn't the offense, it was the defense. He noted that people won't believe that in a 90-84 game, but he was right. They did what they had to do defensively. Only Pierce really hurt them. The 18 from Cohn and 16 apiece from Knight and Milon were kind of quiet. And this was an 85-76 with under :20 left before each team got some very late garbage points to make the final score look like a shootout. The energy was there pretty much all game, they guarded the perimeter well against the only CAA team that shoots over 50% and against a CAA team that shoots the 3 almost 7% better than the 2nd-closest in the CAA. W&M was just 9/24 (37.5%) from 3. Had they allowed W&M to do what they're used to doing, this could have easily been what I was warning against (a 92-90, close shootout loss with the defense lacking). All I said going in was, hold W&M in the mid to high 70s and play D enough that the offense can carry them to a win instead of scoring a lot and falling short like the loss down at W&M this year. Essentially, that's what they did, aside from those last 8 meaningless W&M points in the final :17.

- They're having some fun with Krispy Kreme's "Hot Now" notifications (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/ ... 76544.html). It's fun and it's keeping the team loose. Asked about his 4th 20-pt game in his past 5 games, and whether he is starting to peak at the right time, as the season winds down and they get into the CAA tourney, Eli laughed and said, "Hot now." Those types of things work well with college teams. If it keeps a positive mindset and keeps guys loose, it's great. Seems to be working for Eli and maybe some others... also on Eli, he and JWF might form an unstoppable 1-2 punch in the CAA next year. Really think Eli has a lot of ability yet to develop and harness, and I already believed that after watching him last year. Even more so this year.

- I still don't completely buy it, but I'll go along with it more now than I did before about the UNCW loss after Joe, tonight, echoed what others said here about the perfect storm thing with UNCW having fresh legs with the extra rest after the postponement against JMU. We'll see how that goes on Saturday against Drexel. Hopefully, the focus is maintained and what they did tonight carries over rather than taking Drexel for granted and not bringing the 'A' game.

- Finally, Rok's 3rd career 20/20 game. He's played well a bunch of times since he sophomore season, but tonight was a throwback to one of those monster games he had a few of back then. And after starting 1/5 at the line, he hit four straight FTs like I've never seen him do before -- nice and relaxed, perfect arc, great form, great release, swished them all. It's like a real FT shooter suddenly took over his body. Would be nice if that can be duplicated. He supposedly likes that basket a lot better than the opposite one at The Mack for shooting FTs. That's convenient, since that's the one HU always shoots at in the second half at home. W&M tried the Hack-a-Rok a little bit. So if Drexel or Towson plan the same should they have narrow leads late in their final two home games, maybe he can do the same as with those four FTs in particular. But I've been waiting for Rok to get another 20/20 game since that sophomore year and he finally did it tonight. Also, like I said in other threads... he's normally at around 60% or better, just have to get him more touches. When he only gets 6 or so, he's being wasted. Sure, he lacks some moves and they're all layups, but 8/14 from 2 that way is the same as JWG going 8/14 from just inside the arc. Counts the same, no style points. So sure enough, he was at 57% on his 14 FGA, for 22 pts, and it helped pick up JWF's 5/16 shooting. On that, once again 16 was the magic number (HU now 6-0 this year when JWF takes <=16 shots and 10-11 when he takes > 16 shots).

- Charleston: won it OT at JMU tonight for their 9th straight win. Since HU likely won't catch them anyway, do we root for them to run the rest of the table, with the idea that a loss before the tourney might help them more than going into the tourney on a long winning streak?
Are there Cliff Notes to accompany this?
Wags

Post by Wags »

joeg1 wrote:
Wags wrote:- Says a lot about HU's offense that with the CAA's leading scorer having an off shooting night (5/16, 3/9 from 3) and with HU missing 10 FTs, that they can still find a way to put up 90 pts.

Are there Cliff Notes to accompany this?
Ha, sorry. :oops:

I was thinking "out loud," with my fingers.

"Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZYhDMCOyww

Cliff Notes:

- Although they gave up 84 pts, W&M had some garbage pts late. HU did what it had to on D vs. the CAA's best-shooting team. Keep that up! The offense is fine.
- The Krispy Kreme thing is kinda fun. "Hot Now!" That's the motto until they can hopefully cut the net in Charleson.
- Eli can really ball. He's helping big time right now and he as a Jr. with JWF as a Sr. can be REALLY exciting next year!
- After all the back and forth, I'll concede that the UNCW loss wasn't a red flag, just a perfect storm... IF they close strong now.
- Charleston won't lose. Do we root for them to run the rest of the reg. season table so they're due for an early tourney exit?
- Rok's was brilliant. Hard worker & good guy. Will be sad to see him go. Cut nets, before you do, Rok. Great to see him finally get another 20/20 game. HU needed it.
- How did Rok learn how to perfectly hit FTs on four attempts in a row, so differently than he had his whole career? Totally out of the blue.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Rok's 21 rebs were 6 more than the rest of the team combined (15).

He also had all but one of HU's 9 offensive rebounds.

Evan - do you know what Rok's season/career highs are on the offensive glass? Did he get either or both with the 8 tonight?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'm going to see the glass half full here obviously a tremendous win not in the 70's but both teams not really playing stellar defense(decent) but the end of the game closer then we would have liked it to be. We seem to have lapses at the end of and beginning of halves and at times closing out games. There were a couple of uncharacteristic turnovers by JWF at the end of the game BUT HE THEN REDEEMS HIMSELF HITTING A BIG THREE. This could have been a blow out but the nature of the way we roll we make most games interesting.
I think ROK had a retro game here like he was being fed by Juan'ya and kudos to Justin for making a positive impact in getting 7 assists when his shots weren't falling. I like the way DB is playing and I think we r an entirely different team now that he's playing with confidence. Getting 6 points and 6 assists was a big plus.
I don't believe anyone gave JR the due he deserves here in playing 33 minutes getting 13 points and picking up 4 steals. A lot of times his defensive play goes unnoticed since it's always about scoring in this game. How weird is it in this game that ROK hits 4 free throws consecutively and JR misses three in a row after getting fouled shooting a three. Sometimes s..... happens.
The only other thing I would like to comment about is the foul called on ROK that fouled him out. This was clearly an academy award performance by Nathan Knight who falls down after minimal contact with ROK and gets the call during a critical point in this game and a call that takes ROK out of the game. Anyone have any feelings about this one??
Also just one other thing I happened to notice Nathan Knight shaking hands with ROK and the other players before the the jump ball and all the other players then exchanged hand shakes. I thought this was a good way to start a ball game with good sportsmanship. I don't remember seeing this happen recently??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

BTW I hope we're as positive and upbeat after the Saturday game. Obviously if we win all is good but what happens if we .......................!!??