OT: My students

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

OT: My students

Post by Hofstra »

As some of you know, I teach in Staten Island. I am at a Title 1 school, which caters to mostly low income students/families. That said, I run the debate team (I know, I am sure some of you can't believe I like to argue.) We are planning a trip to Washington DC in May. This will be the schools first overnight trip in all my years of being at the school. It is a big deal to our team, and the coaches that work with them. The school gave us the OK to go on the trip, but we would have to fund it ourselves through donations.

I hate asking, and don't expect anyone to donate, but I just wanted to pass it along. I know there are a few business owners on here, and hey, who knows, maybe a few accountants that can write this stuff off. The page that I am linking was set up by the other coach. We go through donors choose, so he has "more points" than me, so he has a better chance of reaching more people.

This Saturday we have our next debate competition at Stuyvesant High School. We are a middle school who placed a girl 3rd in NYC last debate meet.

I know this is off topic, but I know that the other boards are dead, so I figured I would post it here. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

https://www.donorschoose.org/project/de ... eid=268502

Thanks
-Brian
Polito

Re: OT: My students

Post by Polito »

This is great Hofstra, thanks for posting here - I was big into things like this in HS, debate competitions included.

My wife and I believe greatly in giving back, and have a plan to do so every month across a variety of things we believe in. Would love to help out here, and will pass on the info to the Mrs.

A lot of our giving has been planned and set, so may not knock off a ton for you lol, but would be our pleasure to help in some way!

HUGE soft spot for kids for us both - anything to help their health and/or development I think is worthy of everyone's attention 8-)
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Thanks Polito. Means a lot. Its better to get kids into debate at a younger age. Sports teams and debate. These kids don't have human interaction anymore, so its refreshing to see these kids come out and compete.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Hofstra Matthew and Flying Dutchman, thank you so much for the contributions. It means the world to our team. They know of my Hofstra fandom, so we gained a few more fans when I told them the connection. You guys are great.