Men's Basketball at Delaware on January 27, 2018 at 7 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Re: Men's Basketball at Delaware on January 27, 2018 at 7 P.

Post by Hofstra »

Saturday night is a tough night for a game. I was in and out of the game. What I saw was what I saw normally, JWF just being an elite ball player. In regards to Jordans comment though, I do think that most are away for the night and very hard to watch live.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Another clutch Dutch road performance. I keep thinking how much this 2017-18 HU team depends on JWF and RG. Next up is UNCW and Throwback Thursday with the vintage 1950's uniforms.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Hofstra wrote:Saturday night is a tough night for a game. I was in and out of the game. What I saw was what I saw normally, JWF just being an elite ball player. In regards to Jordans comment though, I do think that most are away for the night and very hard to watch live.
Fair enough and understandable! I was just shocked at the quietness on this very lively board. Figured there must be a reason. Then again, I have been quiet myself recently as well!
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

Jordan wrote:Wow, still only at one page on this thread. Always intrigues me how quiet these boards can get after a win, and how recklessly boisterous they can get immediately after a loss.
that seems to be how this board operates! lol

I will take the win and move on. road wins are awesome. espcially in this conference.

they are all big from this point but goes without saying that this weeks games are HUGE.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

It was the first time Hofstra held the same team to 3 or fewer three-pointers twice in one season since Drexel in 2010-2011. Gustys's 38 minutes were his season-high, the most in his career without overtime, and tied for the fourth most of his career. In 2015-2016 he played 38 minutes at Delaware, and more than that in three games that went at least one overtime, including 52 minutes in a triple overtime win at Northeastern on January 21, 2016.

http://gohofstra.com/news/2018/1/27/men ... o-win.aspx is Hofstra's recap titled "MBB: Wright-Foreman Carries Hofstra To Win."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZOPnU-o-sE and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATBoBDkI3jw have highlights.
Last edited by EvanJ on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

This was the first game I totally missed in quite a long time so I can't really comment on it. I did track the score on my phone a few times and was happy they pulled it out especially after Thursday night's debacle.. The only observation I have from the box score is that JWF had half of the teams points! 32 out of the 64.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

He is their security blanket. Much like Speedy was in his senior year. If we don’t get some front line scoring for next year they are going to have to depend on him even more
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: He is their security blanket. Much like Speedy was in his senior year. If we don’t get some front line scoring for next year they are going to have to depend on him even more
Wright-Foreman has 32.4% of our points. That's more than the 30.6% Speedy had in his senior season in 1999-2000, the 31.9% Jenkins had in his senior season in 2010-2011, and the 30.8% Agudio had in his senior season in 2007-2008. They don't keep track of records for greatest percentage of your team's points, but Gary Neal scored 37.2% of Towson's points in his senior season in 2006-2007. He scored 99 more than the next three highest Towson players combined.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUclassof19 wrote:
Jordan wrote:Wow, still only at one page on this thread. Always intrigues me how quiet these boards can get after a win, and how recklessly boisterous they can get immediately after a loss.
that seems to be how this board operates! lol

I will take the win and move on. road wins are awesome. espcially in this conference.

they are all big from this point but goes without saying that this weeks games are HUGE.
lack of broad comments on this game has to do with - Saturday night; 7pm start; road game - probably not many watched it.

road win - is always big - especially following home loss.
Cards

Post by Cards »

As far as lack of posting I agree with all that has been raised.

A win is a win, and that's a good thing. But be honest, that game (without Daly) should have not even been close. Period!

That being said, lets not discount the play of the team and performance of the coaches. I, for one, am certainly not as enthusiastic as I was earlier in the season. Let's face it, if HU was having a very good season there would be more excitement, more fans in the seats, and more posting on this board. PEOPLE LOVE A WINNER. ---5 Years---
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

If you buy the low expectation BS the coach shovels out, this was a great win...against a bad, depleted team.

If you are realistic, this is a team with 2 legit stars, about 5 very good players, and a few very serviceable ones. This team has the best talent in the league. They do not play well together because they are badly coached.

Sorry, not trying to be overly negative- this is a team that should and still can win the league. I don't know what else to say- they have to play better.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Joeg1 I was wondering why in this game we didn't press the hell out of a depleted roster. In years past, it was us that had a thin bench. teams would press us and make Juan'ya work hard to get across the midcourt line.
This game was an opportunity to let guards press like crazy and wear this team down a bit. Not let them play long possessions and control the tempo. Instead, Wormley and Radovic saw little daylight and it basically was an 8 versus 7 game. Doesn't this make it a lot easier for Delaware to stay in the game? I thought at the start of the season that our depth would be a strength.
Games and situations like last night's beg for us to try some new defensive tactics, i think.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Take any win and run, especially on the road. JWF returns to POY highlight reel stuff.

This team can win on the road, and that's one big positive when you need to win the CAAT. One other thing I like this year is the guards are all able to create their own shots, something missing for years.

But of course there's always some * with this program under JM. KNEW this game was going to be close, for the very reason that it SHOULD NOT have been - just typical.

The lack of responses to most wins IMO, not just this one, is the fact that HU continues to underperform in nearly every friggin one of them. It's annoying, frustrating, tough to watch, and difficult to get overly excited about.

Don't get me wrong, I love every win and take it with a smile! (So please, let me say in advance spare me the sarcastic replies about how maybe I'd like losses more... because someone will, and that's obviously just stupid.)

This should have been a blow out - but typical JM lead team it's down to the wire. These aren't exciting amazing wins over great teams... those games you can get fired up about. These are games where they are barely beating bad teams despite having the POY with talent and depth - it's scary.

Despite what some want to believe, including this staff, the CAA is not very good this year. This conference could not be any easier to win than it is right now - matter of fact, it has NEVER been this easy since HU joined - no VA 3, and no Keatts - with this roster HU should be running away with the conf crown.

But we'll continue to hear that HU was picked 4th using a pre-season prediction rather than the current REALITY as the gauge because that's what justifies the excuses and lack of results.

I'm curious, what do you guys think Keatts with do with this roster? How about Cohen? There is no question in my mind they win the league and go dancing.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Captain wrote:Joeg1 I was wondering why in this game we didn't press the hell out of a depleted roster. In years past, it was us that had a thin bench. teams would press us and make Juan'ya work hard to get across the midcourt line.
This game was an opportunity to let guards press like crazy and wear this team down a bit. Not let them play long possessions and control the tempo. Instead, Wormley and Radovic saw little daylight and it basically was an 8 versus 7 game. Doesn't this make it a lot easier for Delaware to stay in the game? I thought at the start of the season that our depth would be a strength.
Games and situations like last night's beg for us to try some new defensive tactics, i think.
Actually, looking at the box score, 6 Hofstra players played all of the minutes except 2 for Sabety and Radovic and 3 for Wormley.
So it was basically 6 players for Hofstra vs 7 for Delaware. Does this make sense given the challenges Delaware had manpower-wise? Am I missing something?
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

First of all if you all paid attention Wormley hurt his ankle and did not come back...second, all you guys THINK we are the most talented roster in the CAA?...that is BS!!!!! Charleston, Towson and arguably Notheastern are more talented than we are...so where does that put us? Fourth...were we are....All this BS that we are the most talented team in the League is Ridiculous and just a justification for all the JAM haters. Ask ANYONE who KNOWS the game and you will be told...the guy can coach!
Ken Rood...where are you when I need you? Let the sht flow...Bring it on! Oh and by the way, this horrible, underperforming bunch is 13-9 and in fourth in the League with, I believe only two games remaining against teams ahead of us and both of them are at home.

Save the eulogies for the end of the season, if indeed they are needed.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Thanks HUSID...I couldn't get the video so I heard the audio...did not know Wormley was hurt. That may explain the inability for a sustained press.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

HUSID74 wrote:First of all if you all paid attention Wormley hurt his ankle and did not come back...second, all you guys THINK we are the most talented roster in the CAA?...that is BS!!!!! Charleston, Towson and arguably Notheastern are more talented than we are...so where does that put us? Fourth...were we are....All this BS that we are the most talented team in the League is Ridiculous and just a justification for all the JAM haters. Ask ANYONE who KNOWS the game and you will be told...the guy can coach!
Ken Rood...where are you when I need you? Let the sht flow...Bring it on! Oh and by the way, this horrible, underperforming bunch is 13-9 and in fourth in the League with, I believe only two games remaining against teams ahead of us and both of them are at home.

Interesting point about our talent. Why isn't it better? Why haven't we signed any recruits yet?

Jay and Tom used to get good players from NYC to come out to HU. In fact, Pecora's last class (Jenkins, Chaz, Halil, Moore, et al.) arguably had the most talent of any HU team in the last 10 years. Can you imagine what a supporting cast Charles would have had in his senior year had Chaz and Halil not transferred after TP left for Fordham? From the comments in the Newsday article about TP, it sounds like he'd like to come back:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... 1.16385231
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:First of all if you all paid attention Wormley hurt his ankle and did not come back...second, all you guys THINK we are the most talented roster in the CAA?...that is BS!!!!! Charleston, Towson and arguably Notheastern are more talented than we are...so where does that put us? Fourth...were we are....All this BS that we are the most talented team in the League is Ridiculous and just a justification for all the JAM haters. Ask ANYONE who KNOWS the game and you will be told...the guy can coach!

You said it well HUSID I don't know how there r some people putting this team on a pedestal when clearly we have issues on both sides of the ball. JWF's game speaks for itself and I think ROK's game has been pretty impressive lately. He seems to have worked on and developed a mid range game. He's playing with confidence but EP is a bit of a mystery clearly capable of scoring a lot of points but hasn't even been hitting his apg lately. As I have said before ST would start to get minutes and even I didn't predict he would start and although DB has been playing much better lately I think we're lacking consistency offensively. If and it's a big if we played good defense there's no question that we would be one of the best teams in this league if not the best but let's not beat a dead horse about our defense!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Like I have said if this team played to its potential we would be a 25 win team. because we dont play a full 40 minutes of defense and efficient offense we will wind up 18 to 20 wins this season. I believe it is up to the coach to get the most out of his team.Look the reason all these D-1 players are playing D-1 ball is because they can put the ball in the basket. If they want to succeed overall they need to be taught D and play it with as much passion as they play offense.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I will take the win over delaware and run with it but if we want to keep our top 4 spot we just cant through the ball on the court and expect to win. I want to see a fire in the belly in this team. Play with passion and a sense of urgency