Men's Basketball at Delaware on January 27, 2018 at 7 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Men's Basketball at Delaware on January 27, 2018 at 7 P.M.

Post by EvanJ »

http://gohofstra.com/news/2018/1/26/men ... ath=mbball is Hofstra's preview titled "Familiar Foe For Pride."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... game22.pdf is Hofstra's Game Notes.

http://www.bluehens.com/ViewArticle.dbm ... =211694405 is Delaware's preview titled "Delaware Looks To Get Back in Win Column Saturday vs. Hofstra." It says "Ryan Daly added 12 points and eight rebounds, as he scored in double digits for the 20th game in a row. However Daly suffered a left ankle sprain in the final minute and is doubtful for tonight’s game." The word "tonight" is wrong. https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... m#team.ind has Delaware's statistics. Daly averages 16.9 points and 6.0 rebounds, but he doesn't shoot well.

http://www.bluehens.com/fls/29100/pdf/M ... fstra2.pdf is Delaware's Game Notes.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=190364 will have statistics.
triplec2195

Re: Men's Basketball at Delaware on January 27, 2018 at 7 P.

Post by triplec2195 »

Newsday has us as 4 point favorites tonight. This sounds reasonable!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

This is a MUST win for us tonight...we need to beat the teams in the lower end of the League, no excuses.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

This is a team we blew out just last week by almost 30 at home with a healthy Ryan Daly. Now their best player is hobbled. Like you said Husid. NO EXCUSES
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:This is a team we blew out just last week by almost 30 at home with a healthy Ryan Daly. Now their best player is hobbled. Like you said Husid. NO EXCUSES
Are you going on the record then that this should be an easy win Stu?? Lol
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Yes yes yes!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

This team should come out with a fire in belly after that disappointing effort on rhursday
Polito

Post by Polito »

Haven't the last 2 been 'must' wins? :D

So now you're finally stating no excuses HUSID? About damn time. Make sure you remember that down the stretch.

(Of course if you forget, I'll remind you! LOL ;) )

Daly hurt and likely out, or at best very limited - losing here would be putrid and a sign of a sinking ship. There should be NO MERCY for the program that sent you home day 1 last year. Would like to see this team turn the 'killer instinct' switch to ON the rest of the season.

But of course, that's just my crazy winning with a deep talented team expectations rearing their ugly head again.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito wrote:Haven't the last 2 been 'must' wins? :D

So now you're finally stating no excuses HUSID? About damn time. Make sure you remember that down the stretch.

(Of course if you forget, I'll remind you! LOL ;) )

Daly hurt and likely out, or at best very limited - losing here would be putrid and a sign of a sinking ship. There should be NO MERCY for the program that sent you home day 1 last year. Would like to see this team turn the 'killer instinct' switch to ON the rest of the season.

But of course, that's just my crazy winning with a deep talented team expectations rearing their ugly head again.
I predicted 1-1 for HU vs NE, fine with that....Delaware is a must win...I don't care who they put out on the floor
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The line moved to us favored by 6.5. The components of the Sagarin expect us to win by 2 to 5.

On Saturdays during times when Hofstra doesn't play, do people here watch non-CAA games, CAA games online, or not watch other games? I don't watch other games except for close endings, but I watch highlights of every game that the CAA posts on YouTube.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra is starting Wright-Foreman, Buie, Pemberton, Gustys, and Trueheart.

Delaware is starting Ryan Allen (freshman guard), Anthony Mosley (senior guard), Darian Bryant (junior guard), Eric Carter (junior forward), and Chyree Walker (freshman forward). Mosley is very unusual because he leads Delaware in assists but has not made a three-pointer. Point guards normally shoot three-pointers.

http://www.bluehens.com/mediaPortal/pla ... M_ID=29100 has video.

Edit: It's 10-10.

Edit: Hofstra went up 13-10 and called timeout when an 11-0 run put Delaware up 21-13. With 11:38 left in the first half, Eric Carter has 3 assists. He averages 1.3. Pemberton hasn't scored. Hofstra has only 4 rebounds.

Edit: Hofstra went 6:04 without scoring and trails 26-16.
Last edited by EvanJ on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Delaware is putting on a clinic without their best player. This is pathetic. 14-0 run for the blue chickens, and we haven't scored in almost 6 minutes.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Repeat performance of the last game. JWF is 4/13 while no one else has taken more than six shots.

When they blew Delaware out at home (they're best game of the year), JWF was 6/12 for the game and other guys got involved. Standing around, watching JWF save them, is not the answer for this team. Where is the TEAM basketball they relied on well for some of their better games and bigger wins this year?

Down 36-28 at the half against a team they beat 90-63 nine days earlier because they approach is all wrong again. Hope they realize that at halftime and get back to letting this be a TEAM instead of the JWF show.

And 62.5% (15/24) for Delaware... DEALAWARE? 62.5%? Your team name is the PRIDE (albeit b/c of lions, I know). Show some. Play some D.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra tied it and trails 41-40. Wright-Foreman has 15 and Pemberton has 9. Ryan Allen had no fouls at halftime and then committed 3 fouls within the first 4 minutes of the half.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:Ryan Allen had no fouls at halftime and then committed 3 fouls within the first 4 minutes of the half.
That's really odd, especially at home. But they're keeping him on the floor anyway. Hofstra should go right at him.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Delaware leads 45-41. Gustys has 10 rebounds but only 4 points, and he hasn't attempted a shot in the last 10:34.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We win. We'll take it. JWF NBA like dagger three from the top of the key...any win on the road is a good one.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2018 ... re_27.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Delaware," which I forgot about before the game.

Hofstra won 64-59 with their largest lead of the games. Wright-Foreman had half of our points, but no assists. Hofstra's top four players in assists had 2 combined, with 1 each by Buie and Pemerton, and Wright-Foreman and Wormley (in 3 minutes) not having any. Wright-Foreman ending his streak of 31 games with an assist. We had only 8 assists, with Gustys and Ray tying for the team lead with 3. We had only 4 turnovers, which is our fewest since we had 4 at Appalachian State on December 7, 2014. That was 114 games ago. The last time we had fewer than 4 turnovers was when we had 2 in a win over William & Mary in the CAA Tournament on March 5, 2011, which was 219 games ago. Wright-Foreman made 12 out of 23 field goals and every other Hofstra player with an attempt made fewer than half. Wright-Foreman made 6 out of 8 three-pointers. Pemberton was second on Hofstra with 12 points. Gustys had the most rebounds with 13, and Eric Carter led Delaware with 12. Carter scored 16, led all players with 4 assists (he was averaging 1.3), and led all players in field goal percentage. I think you would have gotten over 100-1 odds betting that Gustys, Ray, and Carter would be the top three in assists. Ryan Allen was second on Delaware with 11. Trueheart, Allen, and Anthony Mosley fouled out. With Angus III injured, Hofstra got 193 minutes from 6 players. Wormley played 3 and Radovic and Sabety played 2. Delaware used their eighth player with 1 second left when Mosley fouled out. After Gustys and Carter, the next most rebounds on either team was 5 by Wright-Foreman and Trueheart. Delaware shot two-pointers well, but made 3 out of 14 threes including 0-for-8 in the second half, and as usual they shot free throws poorly, 8-for-15. The two-pointers gave them a 22 point advantage in points in the paint, but Hofstra shot three-pointers 9-23 (.391) to have 18 more points from three-pointers. Gustys attempted at least 7 field goals in 14 of the first 18 games but hasn't attempted more than 6 in the last 4 games.

Edit: It was the first time we won both games against a CAA team while allowing 63 or fewer points both times since wins over Drexel in 2014-2015.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

It's good I only watched the last 8 minutes or so of this game I would have been really frustrated watching the first half. Not exactly pretty but we found a way to win without Daly in the lineup and Allen fouling out with a lot of time left to play. Every game brings a new adventure for this team with the only real constant game in and game out is that JWF is going to score some points. There doesn't seem to be any real pattern after that maybe ROK getting some rebounds. I looked at the scores tonight in the CAA and a pleasant surprise for us with Drexel beating NE. It's amazing how they dominated us then lose to a team that doesn't have the same talent. Elon with 5 loses already and who whipped r butt beats Towson. We've all said it over and over again that this conference is up for grabs but we have yet to show dominance in this league and that we have what it's going to take to win the whole thing. But clearly we're going to be in the mix! JWF is our meal ticket but how far can he take us without a good supporting cast??
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Wow, still only at one page on this thread. Always intrigues me how quiet these boards can get after a win, and how recklessly boisterous they can get immediately after a loss.

Anyways, not a pretty win today, but any win is a win. Love JWF just as much as the next guy, but wow when one guys scores exactly half of your points; bravo but yikes at the same time! Not sure JWF can or even should carry us to the NCAAT. Would love to see Eli be more consistent and maybe even a couple of more Jalen Ray shining moment games.

That being said, can't complain about a win! Just going to bask in it for the week.