UNCW at Hofstra 2/1

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: UNCW at Hofstra 2/1

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra leads 48-37. Hofstra's largest lead was 12. Pemberton has 16 points, made all 7 of his free throws, and has 6 rebounds. In his last 7 games he shot free throws .682, which is up to .725 when you add in the first half. Wright-Foreman and Gustys have 9 each. Gustys has 8 rebounds. Buie missed his only shot but has 3 rebounds and 3 assists. Hofstra has more rebounds, 20 to 7. Markus Bryan, who averages 7.3 rebounds, has played 17 minutes without a rebound. Cacok had a bad half with 2 points on 1-5 shooting and 4 rebounds. I wonder what odds you could have gotten on Pemberton having more rebounds in the first half than Cacok and Bryan combined. Hofstra has a great assist/turnover ratio of 10/4. The only Hofstra player with more turnovers than assists is Sabety, who has 1 turnover. Hofstra has as many assists as fouls and turnovers combined. Going into today Hofstra's assists divided by their sum of fouls and turnovers was 0.43. In addition to our top three scorers, Wormley has 6 points from threes, Trueheart has 5, and Sabety has 3. Jordon Talley leads UNC Wilmington with 11 points but he has 3 fouls. He averages 5.7 assists and has 1. Jaylen Fornes has 9 and Jay Estime has 8 points without missing a shot off the bench. Wright-Foreman, Pemberton, Gustys, and Fornes are tied for the most field goals with 4. Wormley, Talley, and Estime are tied for the most three-pointers with 2.
Wags

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote:Like the jerseys
Awesome start by EP
RG having a good 1st too
If these 3 (of course with JFW) could do something like this more consistently - man!
17/29 1st half shooting
EP played great. Game-high 16 on just 5 shots (only missed one); got to the line often (7 times) and made them all.

Just some caution... consider the competition when saying "if they could do something like this more consistently." Knicks looked great too this week... against the Nets, then lost in Boston by 30. Not that UNCW is awful or anything, but they're not who Hofstra is battling with for a title. That's when you want to see this type of effort. One thing though: like I said in the thread for the second Delaware game... a number of guys getting involved while JWF let the game come to him in the first half. That's how this team will make noise in Charleston in March. When they put too much on JWF, and others aren't involved enough, they really struggle to put together a full 40 minutes.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra has outscored UNC Wilmington 21-17 in the second half to go up 15, but Hofstra has 10 fouls in 8 minutes after having only 6 fouls in the first half. Wormley has scored 10.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

They even changed the logo on the live stats!
4DFA2BBF-19D7-4263-8C31-F24BDD8FD52C.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Fun game. Everything was clicking but the defense. Big win, lets continue that on Saturday.

The boys in the desert always know. I thought the line was fishy, I was wrong.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Fun night at the arena. First of all, this was the best promotion in the 20 years I've been following the program. The Flying Dutchmen hat and shirt were must buys. Good job by the school to produce quality merchandise like that.

The game was just as good. The talent showed up tonight. Pemberton had a monster game. Driving to the basket at will. When he plays like this, the team will be hard to beat. Throw in 10 assists from Buie, good work by Rok battling Cacok, and the typical performance from JWF and it results in an easy win.

These are the type of games that make the games where they struggle even that more frustrating. This team is loaded with talent. It was on full display tonight. Just need to see it consistently!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra won 96-76, which was a larger margin of victory than the other four CAA winners tonight combined. Pemberton scored 27 while shooting field goals 7-10 and free throws 11-12. He had 7 rebounds, which was the second most on Hofstra, and 3 assists, which was tied with Gustys for the second most on Hofstra. Wright-Foreman scored 23 while shooting field goals 9-13 including threes 5-7. He missed his only free throw and had only 2 rebounds and 1 assist. It was the first time since November 23, 2016 against South Dakota that Hofstra won when he attempted at least 1 free throw without making any. It was the third time this season that he didn't make a free throw, and the first two were in consecutive losses to Clemson and Auburn. Gustys had 17 points while shooting field goals 7-9, 16 rebounds, and 3 assists. Wormley had 12 points and 4 rebounds. He made 2 out of 3 threes but only 2 out of 7 two-pointers. He and Radovic, who missed his only shot, were the only two Hofstra players to make fewer than half of their field goals. For the season Wormley is shooting two-pointers .324 and threes .500. Buie had 4 points, 4 rebounds, and 10 assists. Trueheart played only 9 minutes. Klementowicz played the last 2 minutes and missed 2 free throws.
Hofstra had 20 assists and 8 turnovers. It was the second time in five games that Hofstra had at least 20 assists and an assist/turnover ratio of at least 2.5.
Before those five games, Hofstra did not do that in 117 games. Hofstra had 7 players with 2 or 3 fouls but nobody with more than 3. Hofstra's field goal percentage of .630, three-point percentage of .647, and free throw percentage of .654 were close. It was closest between the highest and lowest of those three numbers since an NIT loss at DePaul on March 14, 2007, which was Stokes and Rivera's last game. That was 349 games ago.

Jordon Talley shot well and led UNC Wilmington with 21. He and Jaylen Fornes tied for the team lead with 4 assists. Fornes was third on UNC Wilmington with 11, as Ty Taylor scored 14. Jay Estime scored 10 off the bench. Devontae Cacok had foul trouble and played fewer minutes than fellow big man Markus Bryan. Cacok did not reach double-digits in anything. He had 9 points and 8 rebounds, while Bryan had 4 points and 3 rebounds. That's a total of 13 points and 11 rebounds, which is much lower than their combined averages of 22.8 points and 20.6 rebounds.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Stellar performance tonight. I thought we did a great job on both sides of the ball.

Everyone played well. Rok was awesome against Cacok, much more physical, more effort for rebounds, attacked offensively, and the guards kept him involved. Very proud of his performance.

Pemba was just dominant, he was so good around the hoop, UNCW didn't have a player who could stop him from dribble-penetrating. JWF with yet another quiet 23 points, 9-13, I honestly didn't think he missed 4 shots.

Shout out to KW for playing great tonight, Buie was killing it tonight as well with 10 dimes. I know UNCW is a horrible defensive team, but we moved the ball very well tonight, did a great job getting into the paint and keeping the forwards involved.

I thought we were good defensively from about the 10 minute mark in the first half. Shutting down Cacok was big, and Talley got into foul trouble early, which was a big problem for UNCW. They had a decent night from the perimeter, but I thought we made them earn it, which is all I can ask for. Ray and Wormley gave us good defensive minutes tonight.

7-4, gotta defend the house against Charleston, and we'll be back in second place at the very least by the end of the weekend.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Stellar performance tonight. I thought we did a great job on both sides of the ball.

Everyone played well. Rok was awesome against Cacok, much more physical, more effort for rebounds, attacked offensively, and the guards kept him involved. Very proud of his performance.

Pemba was just dominant, he was so good around the hoop, UNCW didn't have a player who could stop him from dribble-penetrating. JWF with yet another quiet 23 points, 9-13, I honestly didn't think he missed 4 shots.

Shout out to KW for playing great tonight, Buie was killing it tonight as well with 10 dimes. I know UNCW is a horrible defensive team, but we moved the ball very well tonight, did a great job getting into the paint and keeping the forwards involved.

I thought we were good defensively from about the 10 minute mark in the first half. Shutting down Cacok was big, and Talley got into foul trouble early, which was a big problem for UNCW. They had a decent night from the perimeter, but I thought we made them earn it, which is all I can ask for. Ray and Wormley gave us good defensive minutes tonight.

7-4, gotta defend the house against Charleston, and we'll be back in second place at the very least by the end of the weekend.
Gustys and Pemberton both with the best games of their career. Listening to postgame on radio they wanted buie to shoot more. When Pemberton is aggressive, they're working the pick and roll with gustys to perfection, Wright foreman is hot, and everyone else is making shots...why?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I read the recap on gohofstra.com they they mentioned Flying Dutchmen 10 times. Spoke with coach after the game and was puzzled why they changed the name from Flying Dutchmen to the Pride. After several mentioned it was a PC move he seemed to roll his eyes. I suggested if they wanted to change the name they could have used the nickname Dutch and our womens teams would be called the Lady Dutch. He seemed to like that idea.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Pemba is key to this team making noise in March. With Rok stepping up his game, JWF doing his thing add Pemba and we are hard to stop. Nice to see the much maligned Kenny Wormley have a nice night too.

Ok time to play the big boys Saturday...that will tell us a great deal about this team...defend home court, get even with Charleston and we could have some fun this season.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote: Gustys and Pemberton both with the best games of their career.
Pemberton, yes. One shy of his career-high, and only 10 shots, because not only was he efficient (7/10 fg) from the floor, but he went to the line often (12 times, making 11).

Rok was great, but pump the brakes on "best game of his career" and go back to his sophomore year. He had consecutive 20+/20 games (each in OT) that were better, a couple others that were a little short of 20/20 but similar, and even his 23 &18 in the loss in the CAA Finals to UNCW was better than tonight. He was a beast that year. Great tonight, but several games two years ago that were better. That's not to discredit tonight at all, it's to give even more credit to some of those monster games as a sophomore.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:
Pemberton, yes. One shy of his career-high, and only 10 shots, because not only was he efficient (7/10 fg) from the floor, but he went to the line often (12 times, making 11).

Rok was great, but pump the brakes on "best game of his career" and go back to his sophomore year. He had consecutive 20+/20 games (each in OT) that were better, a couple others that were a little short of 20/20 but similar, and even his 23 &18 in the loss in the CAA Finals to UNCW was better than tonight. He was a beast that year. Great tonight, but several games two years ago that were better. That's not to discredit tonight at all, it's to give even more credit to some of those monster games as a sophomore.
Might not have put up the same stats but he's never taken a star player out of his game like that before. The defense and toughness is why it's the best game I've seen him play.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote: Everything was clicking but the defense
I'm one of the first here to always say they can't try to win every game 85-80 and they have to tighten up the D more if they're going anywhere meaningful, but I don't think tonight is the night to call that out. There were times the D could've been better, but it was good enough most of the night. As Joe said after the game, 76 points isn't ideal, but it's perfectly fine when you score 96 and win easily. He was 100% right on that for tonight. They could give up 100 if they win by 20. Problem is, sometimes the offense isn't there like it was tonight, and when you try to win in the 80's, you might lose a close one that way. We've seen that before. So yeah, the D is a work in progress still, and they'll need it, especially in early March, but even I (who always points to that with this team) had no problem with the D tonight simply because they were in control for most of the game, with the offense especially efficient, not relying on JWF too much, but getting multiple guys involved. Instead of JWF taking 25 shots and the next guy having 9, he took 13, then it was 10, 10 and 9. And look at the result: 96 points and a 20-point win. Said it before, JFW doesn't need to be a high volume shooter, but just get efficient shots within the flow of the offense while helping to get other guys involved and opposing defense several guys (not just JWF) to worry about, all though team balance.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:
Wags wrote:

Might not have put up the same stats but he's never taken a star player out of his game like that before. The defense and toughness is why it's the best game I've seen him play.
Fair enough. I've seen him be more of a force (even at each end of the floor) as a sophomore than he was tonight, but you're right, he did a good job neutralizing Cacock and that was key.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Outstanding performances all around. Only somewhat negative ST getting a quick hook both halves after blowing defensive assignments. Looked like winners tonight. Hope it carries over to the showdown sat night...7pm start , hope we get a good crowd. Please, do whatever it takes to get students to show up!
Polito

Post by Polito »

1 down, 1 to go this week. Sat will likely be much tougher - the W is terrible this year, as I expected.

Throwback looked fantastic, and I am pumped to get some of that gear on Sat - great job by the school.

When the 3 are on, JWF, Rok, and Pemba, this team is very tough to handle. Agree that outside of effective PG play, Pemba is the key - need that consistent threat outside of JWF - love when he plays aggressive to the hoop, it's a stength of his game

Speaking of PG play, once again Buie showing how its done. Still has work to do to be consistent but he seems to be finding his groove - and frankly if this staff had played him properly from the start of the year he likely would've found it sooner, and this team might have an extra couple of wins under its belt by now. But alas, better late than never...

And yep, need to give KW a shout out - he actually plays well in SPOT duty off the bench - looks very comfortable in that role, and that's exactly how he should've been used from the start. Again, better late than never.

Rok is playing great - man deserves props - has really stepped it up, and the impact is clear - this is the final stretch of your HU career RG, get after it big fella

Can't express the importance of Sat enough - this is for a lot, most notably IMO it's the chance for the team to prove to THEMSELVES that they can go on a legit run and take this conf.

Need a BIG and BOISTROUS crowd on Sat - I recommend everyone bring others, and do what you need to do to get into gametime mode! Again, 5:30pm at the turtle will be a great way to kick off the festivities for anyone who's interested!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: Rok is playing great - man deserves props - has really stepped it up, and the impact is clear - this is the final stretch of your HU career RG, get after it big fella
Every Hofstra coach of the last umpteen years, be it Mihalich, Cassara, Pecora, Wright, have all talked about the seniors for this program around this time of year starting to see the end nearing, and being challenged with the usual questions... How are you going to go out? What kind of legacy will you leave? What will you have to look back on later because of what you do now, especially in the final month or two of your career?

I think maybe Rok is going through that lately as January wound down and we're now into February, and it's showing on the floor. He's more aggressive, not only rebounding wise but recognizing when he has a mismatch and going to the basket with more force. Now that the record is out of the way, it may help even more. He won't have to worry about that. He has it. His name is at the top of the list, so he can focus on what really has always mattered to him the most (more than any individual records anyway) -- climbing that ladder in early March.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

We are a different, and better, team when we drive to the basket and don’t settle for perimeter shots.

Now that we played so well in the throwback uniforms, we’re going to have to wear them for the rest of the season. :)
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Pemba and Rok said the same thing. lets wear the throwbacks the rest of the season.