Northeastern vs Hofstra

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Northeastern vs Hofstra

Post by triplec2195 »

ProudofPride wrote:Not able to watch tonight, so I'm following the live stats. What happened with the technical foul this time?
I know I've asked this question on a few occasions and didn't always get an answer but I'll answer this for u.I was at the game and saw HS get hit with the "T" FOR ARGUING A FOUL call on a layup he contested and the guy scored. Clearly JM WAS NOT HAPPY AND asked Sabety over and over again about it. HS kept motioning that the guy elbowed him as he went up for his shot. The refs actually looked at the play and it stood. I think Pusica was the guy that got fouled but as it turned out he missed both T foul shots and they didn't get awarded the ball back. JM however didn't put Sabety back in the game. Clearly this game took the wind out of my sails as it was quite depressing to watch it go down on your own home court. Everything from JWF finally having an off game to not getting offense from JR,EP although kudos to ROK who I thought gave a major effort in this game. I don't even think the major problem was our offense since NE really played good D and should get credit for it. Like so many games I've watched this year over and over again we gave the opposing team open shots especially beyond the perimeter. They capitalized in the first half from the double bonus we had them in the double bonus relatively early in the second half and couldn't capitalize. They had 22 turnovers but it didn't seem to help us much. They out rebounded us 40 to 25. Those numbers in and of itself are way out of line! I think the stats speak volumes in this game and now we will have to regroup and wonder is there any solution to our porous defense??
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ah, the inevitable deflation begins - so true, HU has really mastered the art of disappointing, of blowing it when it matters most. As Hofstra said, not a surprise/nothing new - and just wait until the CAAT - prepare yourselves now: Step 1) Hope! (Barely) 2) Hype! (Overly) 3) Heartache! (In the worst gut wrenching way).

Then of course the excuses to cap it all off.

Such a shame - this team really does have SO much potential, more than recently, but alas it's still the same ol same ol. I've already called this season weeks ago (and challenged the team to prove me wrong), so I'm not really that 'upset' per say...tough to bleed as much as time passes and nothing changes, so it's all eh to me at this point. I'll still be at a couple more games just to enjoy JWF.

As I've said before this year is just about watching him - kid is really worth it thankfully - other than that, as FD said in the other thread, HU is all about having 1 stud, hyping the hell out of him, and praying that he somehow magically takes the program dancing with little consistent help and putrid D lol - forget the fact that this has literally NEVER worked. :lol:

Honestly, I think this team started reading the little press clippings they've received recently because of JFW - guess someone should remind them they haven't actually done jack squat yet - and if they don't make the dance, all of that little internet ink will be gone and forgotten - no one will give a rats rear end about them sitting at home during March Madness - the shine that really counts is in the dance, and you gotta EARN that. Make it or bust.

Hey I'm ready to eat my crow, excited to actually! But so far they are making a fortune teller out of me - cmon fellas, whatchu got?? What's left in the tank?? What kind of legacy you leaving???

6 of 10 at home, not a good start - best put the big boy pants on and come to PLAY with a CHIP every game, cuz that's what it's gonna take. I got my salt and BBQ sauce ready, teams just gotta man up and deliver the meal!!!

Now, queue the sunshine pumping, bad matchup, all fixable, plenty of time, team is still learning, brush the 5 yr long issues under the carpet posts in 3...2...1...
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Polito wrote:
Now, queue the sunshine pumping, bad matchup, all fixable, plenty of time, team is still learning, brush the 5 yr long issues under the carpet posts in 3...2...1...
Cant be doing that. Its why everyone in this world thinks they deserve a trophy. We have to be critical when times call for it. At this time, it calls for criticism. There isnt even a silver lining in tonights game. The team flat out stunk today.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The clear difference tonight was Pusica. Yet another great example of Northeastern doing a very good job recruiting from all over (this time, getting Pusica by way of Serbia and San Diego).

Technically, Pusica's the SG at 6-5, and Gresham the PG at 6-1, but realistically, Pusica ran the offense all night and is a very smart player. I was very impressed with him. He read the D well, did a great job of speeding up and slowing down in the right ways, at the right times. And every time you think you have him in trouble, he manages to find an open man for a good look on a jumper or someone cutting to the hoop to get a layup or draw a foul.

He is the type of playmaker and player to run the offense that Hofstra sorely lacks. JWF would be unstoppable in the CAA if he had a guy with Pusica's vision and basketball IQ to play off of. Instead, it was back to the same old trap that's hurt Hofstra before -- too much reliance on JWF, too much of other guys standing around watching him and not enough of other guys beside JWF getting involved.

Also, way too many second chances tonight, whether it led to NU points or not. Ended up being an 8-1 advantage in second-chance points, but that could have been a lot worse. It only wasn't b/c NU failed to take advantage after many of those second chances. Even though it wasn't 8-1, that's still added energy expended on D and less offensive possessions for HU when they don't stop NU after the first chance each time. Have to do a lot better job of boxing out. Defense doesn't end until you either force a turnover or secure a defensive board. Got hammered on the glass overall, 40-25, which makes me wonder... you have two big guys with Rok and Hunter, maybe just here and there, just try them both at the same time? Doesn't have to be for long stretches. but HU obviously never does that.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Awful job all around.

1 When the star is doubled, run plays to get other guys open, don't have him keep shooting and go 6 for 21 while everyone else literally stands around. Looked like the Carmelo Knicks at their worst.

2 Please have the guys go to a high school clinic on defense where they can learn to not turn their back on the ball- see the ball/see your man!

3 JM makes no adjustments.

Pitiful!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

That was an ugly game -

GOOD - (in order)
RG had a nice game - a few nice moves around the basket/didnt force anything/enthusiasm
PEP BAND - I like there effort (I seriously do), wish they had more of a crowd to play to
STUDENTS - saw groups of the softball/womens lacrosse/baseball - especially the baseball team who seemed to be really trying to be what a student section should be
KW had a good game for the minutes he played

BAD - (not so much in order)
JFW - tough night, we live a die by the JFW (and I am OK with that) - but we got almost nothing from anyone else
OTHER GUARDS - we were 7/26 at guards other then JFW - just could get it going
WHOS IN the DOGHOUSE (woof-woof woof-woof-woof) -
HS - NO playing time after the "T" - didn't RG get a few "T's"; don't remember him getting splinters after them - no playing time - com'on man!
ST - starts (both halves) 2nd half - gives up backdoor - buried the rest of the half for MR - until RG picked up his 4th
PA ANNOUNCER - we now play a game - "What Did He Say" - terrible - he's as inaudible as 1) Charlie Browns Teacher (wha wha wha), 2) PA Service Announcement on a NYC Subway (static "You are now entering" static "Street" static "your day" static)
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:The clear difference tonight was Pusica. Yet another great example of Northeastern doing a very good job recruiting from all over (this time, getting Pusica by way of Serbia and San Diego).

Technically, Pusica's the SG at 6-5, and Gresham the PG at 6-1, but realistically, Pusica ran the offense all night and is a very smart player. I was very impressed with him. He read the D well, did a great job of speeding up and slowing down in the right ways, at the right times. And every time you think you have him in trouble, he manages to find an open man for a good look on a jumper or someone cutting to the hoop to get a layup or draw a foul.

He is the type of playmaker and player to run the offense that Hofstra sorely lacks. JWF would be unstoppable in the CAA if he had a guy with Pusica's vision and basketball IQ to play off of. Instead, it was back to the same old trap that's hurt Hofstra before -- too much reliance on JWF, too much of other guys standing around watching him and not enough of other guys beside JWF getting involved.

Also, way too many second chances tonight, whether it led to NU points or not. Ended up being an 8-1 advantage in second-chance points, but that could have been a lot worse. It only wasn't b/c NU failed to take advantage after many of those second chances. Even though it wasn't 8-1, that's still added energy expended on D and less offensive possessions for HU when they don't stop NU after the first chance each time. Have to do a lot better job of boxing out. Defense doesn't end until you either force a turnover or secure a defensive board. Got hammered on the glass overall, 40-25, which makes me wonder... you have two big guys with Rok and Hunter, maybe just here and there, just try them both at the same time? Doesn't have to be for long stretches. but HU obviously never does that.
Wags you make good points about Pusica and he's definitely the glue that binds this team both dishing and being able to shoot it. He did turn the ball over 8 times though. Not to be contentious here but I want to be accurate when we talk about rebounding. ROK had a solid game as did their big guy Green who had 12 boards but they got very few second chance opportunities. They had 40 rebounds which 32 were defensive rebounds only 8 were offensive boards. This might of been because most of our shots were from the outside and clearly they weren't good shots. We shot 39% from the floor and when we tried to drive it they played good defense and blocked shots. They gave us very few opportunities for second chance points credit to them. We had a few good stops in this game where we caused shot clock violations but other then those isolated stops we were giving them good looks most of the game.
Last edited by triplec2195 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Polito

Post by Polito »

In regards to the T's, I have zero sympathy whatsoever for them. This is called, "like father, like son".

JM set this pitiful standard of whining after every call from his first season - it progressively got worse up until this year, but the damage has already been done with the guys currently on the team. He's the 'parent' and set the tone for his 'kids' - Gustys is notorious for this, and Green was absolutely the worst. I've never seen such a talented stud cry like a baby after every call literally every single game of his career at HU.

And it all goes back to the leader.

Hopefully JM continues to show maturity going forward as he has this season - if so, it will take a couple of classes, but eventually the culture will change with new guys modeling his new behavior.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Polito wrote:In regards to the T's, I have zero sympathy whatsoever for them. This is called, "like father, like son".

JM set this pitiful standard of whining after every call from his first season - it progressively got worse up until this year, but the damage has already been done with the guys currently on the team. He's the 'parent' and set the tone for his 'kids' - Gustys is notorious for this, and Green was absolutely the worst. I've never seen such a talented stud cry like a baby after every call literally every single game of his career at HU.

Hopefully JM continues to show maturity going forward as he has this season - if so, it will take a couple of classes, but eventually the culture will change with new guys modeling his new behavior.
Totally agree Polito! It is a lesson that JM has learned.
The real problem, however, is that over years of coaching he has yet to learn that a balance of offense and defense creates championships. And if he has learned it, he certainly has not figured out how to implement it. I think we have the talent, but in the end, results matter. Without catching lightning in a bottle in Charleston, this will be another ho-hum season. --5 years--
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

We have the talent, and the effort has been good. I think it boils down to flawed technique on defense and lack of strategy on offense. And who's fault is that?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

joeg1 wrote:We have the talent, and the effort has been good. I think it boils down to flawed technique on defense and lack of strategy on offense. And who's fault is that?
I honestly wouldn't know who to blame whether it be the coaches or the players just not implementing the defensive sets but we can clearly be a defensive mess at times often too many times. I saw JM pull ST in the second half and wave his hands at him like You've been taught too many times where you r supposed to be on defense and u still make the same mistakes. I couldn't believe what I was seeing yesterday a player for NE at either the right or left wing without a defensive player with 10 feet of them. Where's the breakdown who isn't doing there job??? On and on and on ad-nauseum!!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I wonder if my prediction of 18 to 20 wins will
Be met. We have seen how inconsistent this team can be. Truthfully we have the talent to be a 25 win team but that only happens when we play a full 40 minutes of offense and defense
Last edited by stuball888 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Joe your answer is coaching coaching coaching
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Cards wrote:
Polito wrote:In regards to the T's, I have zero sympathy whatsoever for them. This is called, "like father, like son".

Totally agree Polito! It is a lesson that JM has learned.
The real problem, however, is that over years of coaching he has yet to learn that a balance of offense and defense creates championships. And if he has learned it, he certainly has not figured out how to implement it. I think we have the talent, but in the end, results matter. Without catching lightning in a bottle in Charleston, this will be another ho-hum season. --5 years--
I also agree with Polito and Cards and have said so to my seat-mates - the players body language, whinning and "T's" are all acceptable behavior based on the way JAM exhibits himself. Do I think we get screwed on calls - I do! But do we get screwed on calls because refs have had it with us and our JV behavior/sportsmanship - hmmmm - I do think so , again. That is why I thought it was unfair for HS to be benched by JAM after getting "T'd" up - all "T's" are bad - but our coaches actions certainly dont give our players an example to follow (at least to this average viewing fan).
I think we have individual talent - that on its own can put up some impressive numbers. I don't love the way we plays as a team - we are not a consistant cohesive unit.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Where was #12 last night?
Polito

Post by Polito »

And the reality is all of the above is 100%, without question or a shadow of a doubt, coaching. Period.

There is no debate, no hiding it, or excusing it, etc. After 5 years, if you are still seeing the same issues, still raising the same questions, it's not the players. This is the only answer. And if my prediction of no dance comes true, it's time to get LOUD about it.

I think JM and Co. know what to do - JM has prob forgotten more about coaching hoops than I'll take the time to learn...BUT he has NO CLUE whatsoever how to implement it properly here. And it's painful to watch. No. Clue.

Whatever he did was enough in the MAAC at NU, but it isn't at HU in the CAA. IMO, I think what we've seen is as far as he and this staff can take this program. Hey, it's not over yet, I could still happily eat my crow - but if we're being honest with ourselves, the writing is on the wall. And that's simply not far enough for another 5 years. We've done the 10 year wait thing, and it sucks and didn't work. Let's please not repeat. The standard for ANY staff should be you get 5, win and get the job done, or it's time for new direction.

(Sorry staff, like you guys a lot, appreciate what you've done to right the ship, but this program comes first, and the lack of results after a fair 5 year timeframe must be addressed)
Cards

Post by Cards »

Polito wrote:And the reality is all of the above is 100%, without question or a shadow of a doubt, coaching. Period.

There is no debate, no hiding it, or excusing it, etc. After 5 years, if you are still seeing the same issues, still raising the same questions, it's not the players. This is the only answer. And if my prediction of no dance comes true, it's time to get LOUD about it.

I think JM and Co. know what to do - JM has prob forgotten more about coaching hoops than I'll take the time to learn...BUT he has NO CLUE whatsoever how to implement it properly here. And it's painful to watch. No. Clue.

Whatever he did was enough in the MAAC at NU, but it isn't at HU in the CAA. IMO, I think what we've seen is as far as he and this staff can take this program. Hey, it's not over yet, I could still happily eat my crow - but if we're being honest with ourselves, the writing is on the wall. And that's simply not far enough for another 5 years. We've done the 10 year wait thing, and it sucks and didn't work. Let's please not repeat. The standard for ANY staff should be you get 5, win and get the job done, or it's time for new direction.

(Sorry staff, like you guys a lot, appreciate what you've done to right the ship, but this program comes first, and the lack of results after a fair 5 year timeframe must be addressed)
Agree 100% again Polito - that's twice in one day :lol:
Only edit I would make to your final "coaching comment" is in regards to Speedy. I have no idea what he brings to the table as a "coach", but as a teacher for the guards, I can't imagine his involvement has not had a major beneficial impact. I just don't see JWF improving the way he has without working with Speedy. Also nice to have the NBA resume when your recruiting!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:
Polito wrote:And the reality is all of the above is 100%, without question or a shadow of a doubt, coaching. Period.

Agree 100% again Polito - that's twice in one day :lol:
Only edit I would make to your final "coaching comment" is in regards to Speedy. I have no idea what he brings to the table as a "coach", but as a teacher for the guards, I can't imagine his involvement has not had a major beneficial impact. I just don't see JWF improving the way he has without working with Speedy. Also nice to have the NBA resume when your recruiting!
I read that Speedy was the reason JWF signed here. He was quoted as saying that when Speedy came a calling it was very flattering and that he was a big fan of Speedies!! He couldn't resist coming here and hopefully now he doesn't regret it!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree 100% Speedy is a boost to recruiting guards, no question. He's the primary reason HU had/has the talent they do.

BUT I do think it's fair to start questioning his ability to coach... the defense in the backcourt is horrific. And that has to fall on his shoulders at some point.

And I know you all keep bringing this up, and I completely disagree, about JWF having a seemingly 'meteoric' rise out of nowhere. Nothing could be further from the truth, but this keeps being stated as fact. Fake news :lol:

JWF was ALWAYS a prolific scorer. Has he matured?? Absolutely. Is that because of coaching? Time? His own work ethic? Probably a combo of all. But let's not say Speedy or anyone else on that staff magically turned JWF into a stud. He's not a walkon story, this isn't Rudy, this kid has had major raw ability for quite some time, and just needed the opportunity and experience to develop it.

I credit him, the staff, and TIME.

And when I say it's time to address coaching, I'm not blanketly stating a full house cleaning. Although that may in fact be needed. I'm just saying it's time for the HC and Admin to man up and take a serious look at it. It's very obvious that there needs to be at least SOME level of change folks. Or this will be the norm and the peak for another 5 years.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Polito, with the new AD hire in the spring, I would think that all HU programs will be evaluated.