Game 20 at College of Charleston: 1/20/2018 at 4:00 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: Game 20 at College of Charleston: 1/20/2018 at 4:00 P.M.

Post by Polito »

Tough L

Positive: HU can beat any team in the CAA, and looked the part for most of this game.
Negative: Simply couldn't close.

Had them beat soundly for 3/4's of the game - agree with all of the D sentiment, the guards are just brutal - seems like there is ZERO first line of defense

So now Rok is a bad defender? I thought when I said that last week there was pushback...? lol, some of you are too much with me. :D

Look, you can't be a good defender or a shot alterer when you are a turnstile folks. This isn't new or 1 game, it's all 4 years. I'm not hating on the guy, I actually like Rok a lot and appreciate the hell out of the dude - but he's a terrible defender, period. Just not his strong suit.

He alters not one shot. None. He doesn't clog the middle, he actually routinely opens the lane. I bet if we polled the conf anonymously the overwhelming feedback would be our plan is to attack the lane and the basket because it's easy buckets and fouls, every time. That's not the mark of a good defender - just da facts.

BUT this loss was not because of Rok IMO. Sure one part of it of course, but plenty of other challenges to go around in this one.

Tough game, tough opponent, and HU proves to be inconsistent again in a big spot when it matters most. I like a lot of what I see from this squad, soooo much potential. But the inconsistency and the porous D will continue to doom this teams ability to win the CAAT and go dancin. Hope to heck I'm wrong.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Listening to JM post game interview he said bluntly that they're the best team in the league picked #1 and rightfully so. They're talented 1-7 and he went on to say that our perimeter defense wasn't good and that they had no offensive plan other then to drive the ball and I guess either score or get fouled. This seems to be a rather depressing admission on his part because he's not really offering any solution or potential defensive adjustments if this is their plan when they come to Hempstead. Obviously u go with what is working for you and that strategy got them back in the game and eventually helped them win. Chealey scored 15 points over his APG and Riller 8. They kept Brantley somewhat in check although he was in foul trouble. If they're schooling our guards we need to come up with a better game plan strategy because they didn't make the right adjustments DURING this game and fouled out both ROK and HS. Although ROK hurt himself picking up another T in an important game. Generally speaking it's our guards that r doing damage and not vice versa. This team obviously is beatable coming into this game with three losses so we need to do our homework when we play them again!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

My sense is that Joe is using a little psychology here. I think he wants his guards to PROVE HIM WRONG...he was very candid with his assessment that it's the guards who are not playing defense I this game and others. Let's see how they come out of the next game...we need to protect our home court on Thursday and then beat Delaware on the road Sat.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Needless to say, HUGE game on Thursday. A win would give us the tiebreaker against Northeastern.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Quick thoughts as I agree with what everyone's been saying about the game.

1. Refs sucked. 20 fouls in one half is a disgrace. We're a bad defensive team as it is, we don't need the refs calling everything, getting us to second guess every step we take.

2. I was finally able to tune in at the under 4 in the 1st half, so of course I missed the 18 point lead, but what I saw from that point on, we didn't play defense. There was even a point on the radio broadcast where I heard Joe screaming, begging for his team to play defense. We talked about it before, Rok is not an amazing defender as it is, and he doesn't get his hands up when guards get into the lane because he doesn't want to foul. CoC must have done their homework, because they took advantage of that all day. But our guards have to slow that down, embarrassing effort defensively.

3. The positive is now we know we can hang with anyone in the CAA. We're 5-3, and we've played the hardest in-conference schedule to date. No, we're not far and away the best team in the CAA, like some of those UNCW and VCU teams of the past, but we're right up there, and when we get any defense, we win games.

Rollercoaster of a weekend, another tough test on Thursday.