JWF

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: JWF

Post by EvanJ »

Sorry. Thieben had the fourth most in 1954-1955. Laurel had the most in 1976-1977.

JWF could break Agudio's record of 100 three-pointers. He has 80. The CAA record of 122 will be very hard, but he could get to 109, which is the most since Hofstra joined the CAA. That was done by UNC Wilmington's Brett Blizzard in 2002-2003 and Denzel Ingram in 2016-2017. 7 CAA players have made at least 100 three-pointers in a season.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Any word on JWF for WM?? All right with the world, or is there concern here?

HU hoops twitter awfully quiet leading up to a MAJORLY important game...
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

As usual, we won't know a thing until game time...he DID come back in the UNCW game so it CAN'T be too serious...I PRAY
Polito

Post by Polito »

True, good point, should be good indication he's 'ok'... hopefully 100%!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

He's starting.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

We're screwed if he leaves.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:We're screwed if he leaves.
Wow, I was stunned when I just saw this on Twitter. No way did I see that coming.
https://twitter.com/JayWright_3/status/ ... 7095502850

I really don't think he's ready for that. Shocking he would declare early. Would be even more shocked if he got drafted. If Charles didn't go until No. 44, I don't see how he's going to get drafted.

If he does leave though, then it's Eli's time to shine and lead, and next man up. Would be a huge loss, but they proved they could win without him before and it would create a trickle-down effect to open up opportunities for others. Maybe someone grows a lot with more opportunity the same way he did from his freshman year to the last two years. Let's see what happens though. Since he didn't hire an agent, he can come back. Makes sense for him off the POY season. Keeps all options open for him. Can test the waters and still come back (which I still think is likely).
Last edited by Wags on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:We're screwed if he leaves.
Understatement of the century.
Cards

Post by Cards »

So not only is it signing some bigs, but now we have to be on the fence until late June (NBA draft) to find out if we are or are not a contender in the CAA next year.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

As we lament about possibly losing Justin for his last year he picks up the ECAC player of the year award! gohofstra.com/.../mens-basketball-mbb-wright-foreman-adds-ecac-player-of-the-year- .... Is it possible he's going to get the Haggerty Award also soon to be announced????????
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Guys, you're looking at this the wrong way. JWF declaring without an agent is nothing but good things for this program. He's announcing himself as a legitimate draft prospect for next season before simply testing the waters and coming back for his senior season. Gives HU a bit of early press and recognition as well-- something we desperately need for recruiting right now.

JWF is incredible, but has no shot at being drafted this year:

http://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/bigboard

Really happy for JWF-- smart move for both him and HU. Excited for a huge senior season!
Polito

Post by Polito »

I very much love this take and want it to be the case HU87. My hopes exactly, and that scenario would make perfect sense.

Any scenario where he is truly leaving and foregoing his Sr POY campaign on a team that should be quite good would be very, very ill-advised. And it won't work.

So I'm hopeful and believing that he is much smarter than that, his family is much smarter, and this staff is guiding him properly - and he's listening.

That said, I would LOVE for HU to be so good they have this as a real problem down the road :D
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: Any scenario where he is truly leaving and foregoing his Sr POY campaign on a team that should be quite good would be very, very ill-advised.
He could win another POY, but you can't count on it. It wouldn't surprise me if Pusica or Riller wins it next season, and Riller is the only returning starting guard on Charleston. The fact that he averaged 6.5 more points than Pusica and got only 3 more POY votes out of 40 shows that being an elite scorer doesn't guarantee POY to many voters. In 2006-2007, Stokes won POY when Gary Neal led the CAA by 5.0 points. The next season, Eric Maynor won POY when Agudio led the CAA by 4.8 points.
Mikey77

Re: Prayers for Zeke Upshaw

Post by Mikey77 »

JWF AP Honorable Mention All American. Congrats to the kid. If the NBA doesn't bite, hope to seem him back at the Mack.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Mikey77 wrote: JWF AP Honorable Mention All American. Congrats to the kid. If the NBA doesn't bite, hope to seem him back at the Mack.
Just like automatic bids to the NCAA Tournament, POYs get automatic Honorable Mentions if they're not on the Third Team or better, so it's not a separate honor. There are 32 conferences, and the three teams and Honorable Mentions combined had 61 players.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

EvanJ wrote:
Mikey77 wrote: JWF AP Honorable Mention All American. Congrats to the kid. If the NBA doesn't bite, hope to seem him back at the Mack.
Just like automatic bids to the NCAA Tournament, POYs get automatic Honorable Mentions if they're not on the Third Team or better, so it's not a separate honor. There are 32 conferences, and the three teams and Honorable Mentions combined had 61 players.
Tell it like it is Evan!
Polito

Post by Polito »

I'll take it anyway! Good stuff JWF - he's making the right moves to get his name out there, team just needs to win something of substance next year. Make the dance and he will have a huge opp to put his name in lights.

At any rate, I agree with the general thoughts that he's coming back and this is a marketing and improvement move for him for next year, which I like a lot.