Thursday night Delaware

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Captain

Thursday night Delaware

Post by Captain »

OK this season is getting interesting. Win or lose the games have been very exciting, sometimes maddening always nerve wracking. We are getting to crunch time. Thursday's game may be a crossroads game. Last year Delaware sent us home.
Last year the Rok was badly outplayed by Carter I believe. This year Delaware has improved. This year Hofstra has gutted out some nice wins. The winner of this game could very well get on a run.
I don't know if the students are back in school. The team has proven to be road warriors. I hope the Mack is not a mausoleum on Thursday night. We have not had too many home games.
Why don't we, the true maniac fans of Dutch basketball, make a special effort to be there on Thursday? In fact why don't we all bring a friend or 2 to show what a fun time and team this is? I am bringing 2 work mates who don't know much about Hofstra basketball to the game. Let's create a little buzz for this team. They deserve it.
See you on Thursday night!
triplec2195

Re: Thursday night Delaware

Post by triplec2195 »

It's always nice when we have fans in the stands. I'm not sure what the key to this game is but we need to keep Ryan Daly from going wild although they have a freshman from DeMatha HS that's playing well Ryan Allen getting 13.9 and another frosh getting 13.7. They have 5 guys scoring in double figures and have 3 freshman getting substantial playing time. I like the way we matchup in this game. This could be a high scoring game which should be good for us. It could turn into the JWF show but hopefully a balanced attack and a nice TEAM effort. Probably our starting 5 will be JWF,EP,ROK, DB and ST?? Does anybody see any other potential starting 5 in this game for a better matchup??
Last edited by triplec2195 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: It's always nice when we have fans in the stands. I'm not sure what the key to this game is but we need to keep Ryan Daly from going wild although they have a freshman from DeMatha HS that's playing well Ryan Allen getting 13.9 and another frosh getting 13.7. They have 5 guys scoring in double figures and have 3 freshman getting substantial playing time. I like the way we matchup in this game. This could be a high scoring game which should be good for us. It could turn into the JWF show but hopefully a balanced attack and a nice TEAM effort. Probably our starting 5 will be JWF,ST,ROK, DB and ST?? Does anybody see any other potential starting 5 in this game for a better matchup??
1. Freshman Kevin Anderson, who is averaging 13.7, is out for the season.
2. You typed ST twice instead of EP.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:
triplec2195 wrote: It's always nice when we have fans in the stands. I'm not sure what the key to this game is but we need to keep Ryan Daly from going wild although they have a freshman from DeMatha HS that's playing well Ryan Allen getting 13.9 and another frosh getting 13.7. They have 5 guys scoring in double figures and have 3 freshman getting substantial playing time. I like the way we matchup in this game. This could be a high scoring game which should be good for us. It could turn into the JWF show but hopefully a balanced attack and a nice TEAM effort. Probably our starting 5 will be JWF,ST,ROK, DB and ST?? Does anybody see any other potential starting 5 in this game for a better matchup??
1. Freshman Kevin Anderson, who is averaging 13.7, is out for the season.
2. You typed ST twice instead of EP.
Thanks Evan for the correction. I didn't know Anderson was out? What's your take on this game??
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

i'm not making a prediction. The Sagarin and RPI Forecast have us winning by 8. The Sagarin doesn't like us by as much as the RPI because the Sagarin includes margin of victory.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Captain wrote:Why don't we, the true maniac fans of Dutch basketball, make a special effort to be there on Thursday? In fact why don't we all bring a friend or 2 to show what a fun time and team this is? I am bringing 2 work mates who don't know much about Hofstra basketball to the game. Let's create a little buzz for this team. They deserve it.
See you on Thursday night!
I will be there Thursday with 1 or 2 guest; haven't missed a home game yet this season.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I’ll be there with a buddy who I’ve been converting to a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

HofstraMat and I have a ticket block in 111, with another friend who doesn't post. We're there every game! If we get the referee crew we got against Towson last Thursday, I'll be very vocal as well.
RIP_HOFUSA

Post by RIP_HOFUSA »

No unfortunately us students are not back yet. We don't come back until the end of January. I wish I could be there though to cheer on the team I've been missing all these really close games! The thing about this Hofstra team is that they seem so capable of beating or losing easily against any team in the CAA due to their high octane offensive nature. It's exciting watching them put up over 70 points every game but unfortunately the shots don't always fall which is why a good defense is so essential. A good defense is much more consistent and able to keep you in more games where you're struggling to shoot. All that being said I'm excited for this game and I do fully expect us to beat Delaware. We might need someone other than JWF to show up though.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Hey RIP_ have not seen you post much - are you new to the board? In any case, GREAT to have students chiming in.

Many of us get very frustrated knowing that HU typically has solid talent on the team and generally provides an entertaining 2 hours game experience, yet the student turnout is often weak. I think I can speak for the rest of the group here on the board and ask that you really jump in and try and drag students to the games. Once you get back to school, we all ask that you and your friends who do attend games TRY, TRY, TRY and bring more students to the games. Most of us oldies can tell you stories about the games when the Mack was packed with students to the last row of the lions den and the rest of the community filled open seats - those games were AWESOME. Signs, head shot posters of players, painted student faces.....No one at those games could say that they did not really enjoy the experience.

Do your best, we appreciate it and will all benefit.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Cards wrote:Hey RIP_ have not seen you post much - are you new to the board? In any case, GREAT to have students chiming in.

Many of us get very frustrated knowing that HU typically has solid talent on the team and generally provides an entertaining 2 hours game experience, yet the student turnout is often weak. I think I can speak for the rest of the group here on the board and ask that you really jump in and try and drag students to the games. Once you get back to school, we all ask that you and your friends who do attend games TRY, TRY, TRY and bring more students to the games. Most of us oldies can tell you stories about the games when the Mack was packed with students to the last row of the lions den and the rest of the community filled open seats - those games were AWESOME. Signs, head shot posters of players, painted student faces.....No one at those games could say that they did not really enjoy the experience.

I agree - that the student section, in our heyday, was sometimes as entertaining as the game itself.
They would be a loud and raucous. I remember one - not exactly physically fit male student - who'd do his version of a wet tee shirt into a strip tease as the opponent would attempting fold shots - I swear it worked and they missed more then they made.
I - for one - appreciate the pep band- they try keep, and I hope they keep it up with catching crowd favorites.
RIP_HOFUSA

Post by RIP_HOFUSA »

Cards wrote:Hey RIP_ have not seen you post much - are you new to the board? In any case, GREAT to have students chiming in.

Yea I just joined the board a couple weeks ago, thanks for the welcome I appreciate it! I totally understand, I've been trying my best since I got here to get as many people to go to games with me as possible. I remember for the Army game I rounded up a good group of ten of my friends to come join me there. Unfortunately I'm not a local so I can't attend the games over break but I'm definitely going to try my best once I go back. I agree though I wish the atmosphere was much better. I went to one of the women's games and my group of friends was half of the student section. I do think they've done a good job with promoting the games with free gear and what not, that always gets a lot of people to go.

Likewise though it's good to hear of alumni still interested in our basketball program and as a I student I really appreciate seeing your support when us students don't always show up. You guys do a great job!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

RIP_HOFUSA wrote:

Yea I just joined the board a couple weeks ago, thanks for the welcome I appreciate it! I totally understand, I've been trying my best since I got here to get as many people to go to games with me as possible. I remember for the Army game I rounded up a good group of ten of my friends to come join me there. Unfortunately I'm not a local so I can't attend the games over break but I'm definitely going to try my best once I go back. I agree though I wish the atmosphere was much better. I went to one of the women's games and my group of friends was half of the student section. I do think they've done a good job with promoting the games with free gear and what not, that always gets a lot of people to go.

Likewise though it's good to hear of alumni still interested in our basketball program and as a I student I really appreciate seeing your support when us students don't always show up. You guys do a great job!
Honestly - when I went to HU I didn't go to ANY games and I was friends with 3-4 players, played summer ball with them and they had a pretty darn good team some of those years ('85-86). So I get it. I think what really stinks is the locals - alum or not - those who will jump on the bandwagon and pack the house - from 2000-11 when the getting was good - and drop it like a hot potato when things get tough. There is still good basketball here - some good worthy opponents - and some exciting finishes. Locals just want to be around when everyone else is around - even if it is at HU basketball game - to be seen - welcome to LI.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Per Newsday we're 8.5 point favorites. This kind of line always makes me nervous as noted by others in a separate post topic. A win is a win is a win so if we win by 1 or 15 I'll be very content.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

It would be nice to get a big enough lead to end with three of Buie/Ray/Radovic/Wormley/Klementowicz, Sabety, and Angus III playing instead of starters, especially when we play far away in two days, and College of Charleston is favored by 12.5 hosting UNC Wilmington. Hofstra had seasons where they rarely used more than eight players, so they couldn't replace all their starters in a blowout like some teams could. Now Hofstra can replace all their starters. Villanova won by 32 and used 12 players yesterday.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Don’t count on a blowout. It’s not in this team MO We keep these games and win in the end hopefully
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

As we all can attest, I doubt there are too many blowouts in our future...give me a nice solid win, a decent crowd (although real tough on a weeknight), and give our starters a bit of a blow as Charleston looms on Saturday away.

By the way, this CAA schedule is ludicrous, with all games Thurs-Sat, especially if you have to travel...the old Wed-Sat was much better.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:It would be nice to get a big enough lead to end with three of Buie/Ray/Radovic/Wormley/Klementowicz, Sabety, and Angus III playing instead of starters, especially when we play far away in two days, and College of Charleston is favored by 12.5 hosting UNC Wilmington. Hofstra had seasons where they rarely used more than eight players, so they couldn't replace all their starters in a blowout like some teams could. Now Hofstra can replace all their starters. Villanova won by 32 and used 12 players yesterday.
Evan u of all people who has the stats for the last 20 years on the tip of his tongue calling for a bench emptying. What was the biggest margin of victory this year against a DIV. 1 opponent?? We had a 14 point lead against Drexel and saw it dissipate in a NY minute down to 4. I'm a little superstitious with visions of a blowout type game especially against a team that has a decent record. I'll take any kind of W IN THIS GAME.
Polito

Post by Polito »

All about the W, any way any how. Without strong D it's tough for HU to blow teams out, so that really will only happen if the opponent shoots abysmally. But as mentioned, just win.

Honestly, after the complete embarrassment and debacle of last years first round exit at the hands of a rookie HC and makeshift team, HU should absolutely come out with FIRE and a MAJOR chip on their shoulders to avenge that crap.

We may see a healthy does of Ray and Trueheart in addition to the core, as UD has some athletes to keep up with at the point and in the post. It will also be the Justin vs Ryan show. Go get 'em JWF.

I want to see HU hoops shock and awe on the floor every time they play UD, especially this year. Time to set things right.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:All about the W, any way any how. Without strong D it's tough for HU to blow teams out, so that really will only happen if the opponent shoots abysmally. But as mentioned, just win.

Honestly, after the complete embarrassment and debacle of last years first round exit at the hands of a rookie HC and makeshift team, HU should absolutely come out with FIRE and a MAJOR chip on their shoulders to avenge that crap.

We may see a healthy does of Ray and Trueheart in addition to the core, as UD has some athletes to keep up with at the point and in the post. It will also be the Justin vs Ryan show. Go get 'em JWF.

I want to see HU hoops shock and awe on the floor every time they play UD, especially this year. Time to set things right.
Yup with u on this Polito. Let's play this game with the idea of getting some vengeance and put this team and the rest of the Colonial on notice!!