Gustys and team defense

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
joeg1

Re: Gustys and team defense

Post by joeg1 »

krood wrote:Thanks for the opener..., I posted some of my thoughts earlier today (below):

As for Gustys, I think the coaching staff has maximized Rocks skill and talent level. Knowing a little bit about shooting mechanics, Rock should not shoot beyond 5-10 feet. That said, his scoring ability is a function of his teammates knowing when, and where to pass to him. This was best evidenced with J. Green and we saw The Rock was VERY effective on the pick/roll. Without Green, the staff has reverted to more of a motion offense and none of our guards are effective in the Pn'R.
This year, I like the "combined" contribution of Gustys and Sabety (14pts./14rbs) with Sabety keeping Rock on the floor. Although, they BOTH lose their men on defense!

As for Team Defense, there are no 'defend-1st players' on our team - and that takes both desire and athletic ability. I do think Wormley and Buie have the ability, but have not seen the desire.

I think the staff will continue to experiment with zones and stunts to disguise this weakness...

But, 2 roads wins and 3 days to prepare for the next game (home) feels nice! Hope we draw a better crowd at Home!

Aside from JWR's play,
our PG-play has been inconsistent, AT BEST!
AND, Ray is already playing like a sophomore, and has proven he can shoot (J's and FT's) in the clutch.
AND, Pemberton can handle the pressure at crunch-time and make FT's. He had a clutch assist to The Rock in the last 3 minutes.

BUT, we need to find our PG and #5 at crunch-time (neither big can shoot FT's)

But unless the PG's mature, more CAA teams will press us, AND sooner than down 10 w/ 3min to go.

But, 2 roads wins and 3 days to prepare for the next game (home) feels nice! Hope we draw a better crowd at Home!
Exceptional insight. We have the horses to do it this year, warts and all- no team will run away with it. Hopefully the students and community get on board.
RIP_HOFUSA

Post by RIP_HOFUSA »

While I agree that negativity can be too profound on any sort of sports team, I will say that it's not too much to expect a little better defense out of him. If he was averaging 15/12 in points and rebounds a game consistently, then ok I could let lit slide that he's not the greatest on defense. However, the fact remains that he still has too many games where he disappears completely and leaves the game with no impact. Now I get that he's not gonna change at this point in his career and I know the argument can be made that he has done a good job of maximizing his skill set. However, the fact of the matter remains that if he doesn't have a very good creator helping him inside, then his game basically just becomes rebounding. I'm not trying to complain, I'm just saying I think he gets too much credit and Safety doesn't quite get enough. He is very good defensively and while he lacks the offensive polish, I don't think its a bad trade off because we don't really lack offensive fire power anyway. Just thoughts. He's still a very good basketball player and happy that he's on the team.
krood

Post by krood »

RIP_HOFUSA wrote:While I agree that negativity can be too profound on any sort of sports team, I will say that it's not too much to expect a little better defense out of him. If he was averaging 15/12 in points and rebounds a game consistently, then ok I could let lit slide that he's not the greatest on defense. However, the fact remains that he still has too many games where he disappears completely and leaves the game with no impact. Now I get that he's not gonna change at this point in his career and I know the argument can be made that he has done a good job of maximizing his skill set. However, the fact of the matter remains that if he doesn't have a very good creator helping him inside, then his game basically just becomes rebounding. I'm not trying to complain, I'm just saying I think he gets too much credit and Safety doesn't quite get enough. He is very good defensively and while he lacks the offensive polish, I don't think its a bad trade off because we don't really lack offensive fire power anyway. Just thoughts. He's still a very good basketball player and happy that he's on the team.
Sabety can't defend either. But, I like the idea of concentrating Rocks minutes to 1st/3rd and Sabety to 2nd/4th and use all 10 fouls. Keeps Rock off the court down the stretch too.
Not my idea, came from my braintrust of coaching friends........
budman

Post by budman »

I gave this topic its own thread because i did not want to make this about the Drexel game. I would not have as problem with Gustys defense if he scored 15 points or more a game. I think the biggest problem I have is when he just steps out of the way mostly just not to foul. I believe he plays hard and it is because most likely the coaches having him play this way. I am sorry if I was to hard on him. I do not think we have anyone who is a great defender on this team but I do not think it is because of effort. I believe our lack of team defense has to do more to do with our coaches lack of coaching good defense. One of my biggest pet peeves of coach Mahalich is when he blames the lack of effort on defense for a loss. Mahalich does not make defense important for his teams that is the biggest reason we loss games we should not loss. Yes I know most of you know this. I think we would win the league hands down if we played better defense. I only want Hofstra to win. The people who know me know i get a little to crazy.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

krood wrote:
RIP_HOFUSA wrote:While I agree that negativity can be too profound on any sort of sports team, I will say that it's not too much to expect a little better defense out of him. If he was averaging 15/12 in points and rebounds a game consistently, then ok I could let lit slide that he's not the greatest on defense. However, the fact remains that he still has too many games where he disappears completely and leaves the game with no impact. Now I get that he's not gonna change at this point in his career and I know the argument can be made that he has done a good job of maximizing his skill set. However, the fact of the matter remains that if he doesn't have a very good creator helping him inside, then his game basically just becomes rebounding. I'm not trying to complain, I'm just saying I think he gets too much credit and Safety doesn't quite get enough. He is very good defensively and while he lacks the offensive polish, I don't think its a bad trade off because we don't really lack offensive fire power anyway. Just thoughts. He's still a very good basketball player and happy that he's on the team.
Sabety can't defend either. But, I like the idea of concentrating Rocks minutes to 1st/3rd and Sabety to 2nd/4th and use all 10 fouls. Keeps Rock off the court down the stretch too.
Sabety is even worse than Rok at the line. Coach has been playing Trueheart to end games because of this. Both are <50%. Trueheart is 8 for 8 so far this year.
krood

Post by krood »

joeg1 wrote:
krood wrote:
Sabety is even worse than Rok at the line. Coach has been playing Trueheart to end games because of this. Both are <50%. Trueheart is 8 for 8 so far this year.
Good point about Sabety. Certainly makes it tough in the last 5 minutes. I DO like Trueheart's game and if he is 8/8, he should be out there. Needs to believe in himself,,,,,
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Trueheart is a RS freshman. Let’s not compare to either Rok or Sabety. In my opinion they have all done well. Rok numbers speak for themselves. Hunter came from a d-3 school and has proven to be a d-1 player. Trueheart still has 3 years left to develop his game.One thing true can do is shoot free throws and give you good defense. In short spurts
krood

Post by krood »

stuball888 wrote:Trueheart is a RS freshman. Let’s not compare to either Rok or Sabety. In my opinion they have all done well. Rok numbers speak for themselves. Hunter came from a d-3 school and has proven to be a d-1 player. Trueheart still has 3 years left to develop his game.One thing true can do is shoot free throws and give you good defense. In short spurts
Totally agree, but he is the best big in the last 5 minutes with a lead because he can shoot FT and seems careful with the ball.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

If nothing else the one thing that can be said about this team is that in close games we can win them with good FT shooting. We have proven this over and over again. Keeping ROK,Sabety and I believe KW off the floor a must. KW doesn't particularly shoot well for a guard and don't like him shooting the front end of a 1 and 1!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

RIP_HOFUSA wrote: However, the fact of the matter remains that if he doesn't have a very good creator helping him inside, then his game basically just becomes rebounding.
His field goal attempts per 30 minutes played have been about the same the last three seasons. The big differences are that when Green was a senior, Gustys's field goal percentage was much higher, and his free throw attempt rate was much higher:

2015-2016: .660 field goal percentage, 8.45 field goal attempts per 30 minutes, 5.00 free throw attempts per 30 minutes
2016-2017: .548 field goal percentage, 8.09 field goal attempts per 30 minutes, 3.85 free throw attempts per 30 minutes
2017-2018: .565 field goal percentage, 8.12 field goal attempts per 30 minutes, 3.65 free throw attempts per 30 minutes
stuball888 wrote: Trueheart is a RS freshman.
This his his first season playing, but http://gohofstra.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball calls him a sophomore.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This his his first season playing, but http://gohofstra.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball calls him a sophomore.

So can anyone say why that is? I thought I heard JM refer to him as a redshirt freshmen!!
RIP_HOFUSA

Post by RIP_HOFUSA »

EvanJ wrote:
RIP_HOFUSA wrote: However, the fact of the matter remains that if he doesn't have a very good creator helping him inside, then his game basically just becomes rebounding.
His field goal attempts per 30 minutes played have been about the same the last three seasons. The big differences are that when Green was a senior, Gustys's field goal percentage was much higher, and his free throw attempt rate was much higher:

2015-2016: .660 field goal percentage, 8.45 field goal attempts per 30 minutes, 5.00 free throw attempts per 30 minutes
2016-2017: .548 field goal percentage, 8.09 field goal attempts per 30 minutes, 3.85 free throw attempts per 30 minutes
2017-2018: .565 field goal percentage, 8.12 field goal attempts per 30 minutes, 3.65 free throw attempts per 30 minutes
Exactly, he needs someone to feed him the "Rok" (hehe) or else his offensive game suffers significantly. Also, Sabety's 1.0 blocks per game would beg to differ that he's not a good defender just saying. Plus Rok gets into foul trouble a lot. I remember when he did last year against Kentucky and Sabety came in and in my opinion as someone who attended the game, I thought Sabety outplayed him. That always impressed me because it was against Kentucky which will always be one of the best teams in the game.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

When I spoke with Steve Gorchov. He told me players on the roster will be listed by their acAdemic class. After their senior year they will be listed as a redshirt senior. Don’t know why it’s done that way but this is how it’s done
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:When I spoke with Steve Gorchov. He told me players on the roster will be listed by their acAdemic class. After their senior year they will be listed as a redshirt senior. Don’t know why it’s done that way but this is how it’s done
Thanks Stu!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

RIP_HOFUSA wrote:
EvanJ wrote:

Exactly, he needs someone to feed him the "Rok" (hehe) or else his offensive game suffers significantly. Also, Sabety's 1.0 blocks per game would beg to differ that he's not a good defender just saying. Plus Rok gets into foul trouble a lot. I remember when he did last year against Kentucky and Sabety came in and in my opinion as someone who attended the game, I thought Sabety outplayed him. That always impressed me because it was against Kentucky which will always be one of the best teams in the game.
We have had this debate before ROK VS. Sabety and I have defended HS when people were throwing him under the bus. I don't think you're going to make a case though for his defense based on an avg. of 1 block per game. I like his energy, his dunks and block shots but I've also seen him get pushed around and manhandled by powerful 5's. He does contest shots which is something ROK doesn't always do. If HS were to get ROK'S minutes could he stay in the game without fouling out and how many points would he give up down low? I like Hunter but ROK is a big piece of real estate in the paint!
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Not knocking HS, but Rok has much better defensive footwork.

Sabety does a good job coming off the bench with an energy boost, blocks and dunks, but his footwork gets him in foul trouble, and he has more difficulty than Rok defending the better forwards in the CAA. IMO, that's why Sabety only plays a few minutes in some games, if it's a bad matchup, Joe doesn't let him get exposed. Sabety can do some damage when he has a good matchup though, like against Stony Brook. Rok doesn't have amazing footwork either, but I think he's done a good job defending the bigs in conference play, I was particularly impressed with Rok's performance in the JMU game.

I think both of our centers get hung out to dry in the zone though. Usually when Rok doesn't get his hands up, it's because he's trying not to pick up a foul on a guard driving into the lane. We're usually giving up some size at the guard positions which hurts a bit, but, it seems like we don't pressure enough, so our zone breaks down, or we have bad positioning, and someone is wide open. I don't know how the coaching staff can go about fixing that, I wonder if it's because we change defensive sets so frequently.

Our big issue now is we're allowing 39% 3 point shooting. No lead is safe, we saw it in the Drexel game Saturday afternoon. I think one of the main reasons Trueheart is starting to get more playing time is because he can defend out on the perimeter better than Angus. The CAA is exceptionally wide open, if we can improve one aspect of our defense, like an increased steal rate, or a decreased 3 point shooting percentage, we will have a decent shot at getting the regular season title.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Not knocking HS, but Rok has much better defensive footwork.

Sabety does a good job coming off the bench with an energy boost, blocks and dunks, but his footwork gets him in foul trouble, and he has more difficulty than Rok defending the better forwards in the CAA. IMO, that's why Sabety only plays a few minutes in some games, if it's a bad matchup, Joe doesn't let him get exposed. Sabety can do some damage when he has a good matchup though, like against Stony Brook. Rok doesn't have amazing footwork either, but I think he's done a good job defending the bigs in conference play, I was particularly impressed with Rok's performance in the JMU game.

I think both of our centers get hung out to dry in the zone though. Usually when Rok doesn't get his hands up, it's because he's trying not to pick up a foul on a guard driving into the lane. We're usually giving up some size at the guard positions which hurts a bit, but, it seems like we don't pressure enough, so our zone breaks down, or we have bad positioning, and someone is wide open. I don't know how the coaching staff can go about fixing that, I wonder if it's because we change defensive sets so frequently.

Our big issue now is we're allowing 39% 3 point shooting. No lead is safe, we saw it in the Drexel game Saturday afternoon. I think one of the main reasons Trueheart is starting to get more playing time is because he can defend out on the perimeter better than Angus. The CAA is exceptionally wide open, if we can improve one aspect of our defense, like an increased steal rate, or a decreased 3 point shooting percentage, we will have a decent shot at getting the regular season title.
You make a lot of good points FD and I believe there r matchups that do favor Sabety over ROK. If Sabety has the ball and he's near the basket more often then not he's going for the slam. Like his energy and he gets off the ground better then ROK. As for ST yes he seems like he's a good answer in causing smaller players problems shooting from the perimeter and also 4's. He's athletic and I think much quicker then JA, can jump and he shoots the three. This is what ESPN wrote about him coming out of h.s. Strengths:
Truehardt is an extremely athletic hybrid style four man. He's exceptionally bouncy and a true high riser, able to get off his feet in a hurry and play up near the top of the box. He's an explosive finisher who runs the floor well and can go get his........
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

krood wrote:
stuball888 wrote:Trueheart is a RS freshman. Let’s not compare to either Rok or Sabety. In my opinion they have all done well. Rok numbers speak for themselves. Hunter came from a d-3 school and has proven to be a d-1 player. Trueheart still has 3 years left to develop his game.One thing true can do is shoot free throws and give you good defense. In short spurts
Totally agree, but he is the best big in the last 5 minutes with a lead because he can shoot FT and seems careful with the ball.
Agree with you both. He also spreads the D a bit as he can hit a 3 and also seems to take good shots - like his game and as a potential role player.