Game 18 at Drexel

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Game 18 at Drexel

Post by triplec2195 »

An interesting game from the standpoint of JWF LACK of shots taken and the percentage of the shots he hit. JWF always seems to start slower in the first half and have a lot more points in the second half. I know there will be some exceptions to this but it was clear in this game that he wasn't going to be shootin it from the cheap seats. I missed minutes of this game but I saw him pass up numerous three's to just keep the rest of the team in the flow. I have never saw him play a game with the mindset I'm not going to take the bulk of the shots. At one point I believe in the second half after he passed the ball to EP he stood around the top of the key and made no attempt to get free to get the ball back like he was saying to Eli u r going to have to take this shot as the shot clock ran down. Pemberton actually hit that shot before the shot clock expired. The second half was much more of the same and they did have the lead most of the time and had a 14 point lead late in the half. I don't know if this was part of the reason Justin wasn't shooting the ball but it was very odd. I missed how we gave up a 14 point lead and true to form wound up with a nail biter at the end. I'm imagining it was our spectacular defense that let them back in the game. I like the fact that JR is getting some serious minutes and giving ST the opportunity to start in front of JA. I think we're going to see a breakout game from Stafford before this season is over and I like the defense/energy he brings for us. I appreciated IMO unbiased play by play by Drexels people. I thought it was more professional then what I've been hearing of late. A good win for us in spite of the painfully obvious old news about our lack of defense. Our FT shooting has won some games and is a strong suit for us moving forward! BTW I didn't see the technical foul but what's everyone's take on this? I don't remember ever seeing this at least not in recent memory!
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Thought there were stretches where they played their best basketball of the season yesterday. Especially offensively, good ball movement, good shot selection and they made a concerted effort to get the ball down low to Rok. They need to do that more, mix things up, make opponents honor the post defensively. That can free up our perimeter players more often instead of always taking contested threes.

I was feeling great at 82-68 and then the last 3 minutes happened. It is imperative that we learn how to protect leads. Use the shot clock. They had 2 possessions in the final minutes where they scored, but left 30 and 20 seconds left on the shot clock. That's 50 seconds they gifted to Drexel. I'd rather not score the baskets and just use up the 50 seconds. At that rate, Drexel has no chance to comeback from a 14 point deficit. And defensively, they give up too many quick baskets when their opponents are frantic and in desperation mode. They let teams come back easily. This is a trend and it has to stop. I almost rather us be in a close game down the stretch than trying to protect an 8-12 point lead. In this case, it should have never come down to us having to make clutch free throws to secure the win but it did. Kudos to our young freshman Ray who buried both and Pemba who made 3-4. Clutch.

Overall, we won 2 road games this week and are 1 game out of 1st so things are looking pretty good right now. Love what I'm seeing from Ray considering he's a true Freshman and Eli was more aggressive yesterday which is a good sign. Just gotta hope we keep improving as the season progresses.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

A couple of things. This team needs to develop a way to put teams away. They get a lead and then relax. That will not work in the CAA or against better teams. Put a team away when they bare down.
Also JWF has become the security blanket for this team. They rely on him so much that the other players just look to him to carry the team. If he has an off game that is a recipe for disaster. Sort of like when speedy was here. the year after speedy left the team had one of their best seasons. It was a senior ladden team that spread the wealth around. We did three things that year that no Speedy team had ever done. can you guys name them.
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

stuball888 wrote: Also JWF has become the security blanket for this team. They rely on him so much that the other players just look to him to carry the team.
thats what great players do. thats what the teams best players are supposed to do. and odd comment after yesterday when he took less than 10 shots.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hey, again no negative from me on this one - another road W - gotta take it and run folks!

Despite the close final score, it wasn't really that close - HU was clearly the more talented / put together team. For once. And it showed.

Of course I knew watching that the score would come down to the wire because as everyone has noted the ability to finish teams off and play full 40 D is still missing, but a solid W none the less.

JWF was fantastic, and efficient. That dunk was nasty. Rok had another stud game - we all know he plays putrid D, it's time everyone accept it and move on - it isn't changing. Trust me, from experience, you'll be more joyful in life :D

Keep it coming Pemba, on the right track. Ray, the next great. Buie and Wormley are now playing the roles I always thought they should from the start, and its working better.

Angus is a strange one to me - started out so well, really like what he brought - has really fallen off.

That said, like Trueheart and Radovic to fill the role together - both have impact ability, and should continue to grow and mature w/each game.

Seems like the team and staff are starting to find their way a bit - certainly never a dull game, and winning is nice lol - here's to a LOT more of it 8-)

HUclassof19, by the way, welcome to the boards my friend! Love to see current students active on here, that's how I started way back in the Rivals days. Stay with us, and my advice would be to toughen up and develop thick skin - if you think there's been negative this past week, you ain't seen nothing yet bud - hell, you'll need to strap it on tight to face some of my feedback :P - just a friendly heads up, and some encouragement to have fun here and enjoy the fact we have such a passionate group of diehard fans! You now included!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

HUSID74 wrote:Its amazing how poor the quality of reporting is... you would think that even the most basic of fact checking would find this error.
To make things infinitely worse, Newsday printed the same thing. Sports journalism at its best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pride97

Game 18 at Drexel

Post by Pride97 »

Dooku25 wrote: In this case, it should have never come down to us having to make clutch free throws to secure the win but it did. Kudos to our young freshman Ray who buried both and Pemba who made 3-4. Clutch..
Agreed. However, I have a lot of confidence in our team to hit FTs now which is something that has been an Achilles Heel for quite some time.

HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Pride97 wrote:
Dooku25 wrote: In this case, it should have never come down to us having to make clutch free throws to secure the win but it did. Kudos to our young freshman Ray who buried both and Pemba who made 3-4. Clutch..
Agreed. However, I have a lot of confidence in our team to hit FTs now which is something that has been an Achilles Heel for quite some time.

As long as it's our guards shooting the FTs
krood

Post by krood »

stuball888 wrote:A couple of things. This team needs to develop a way to put teams away. They get a lead and then relax. That will not work in the CAA or against better teams. Put a team away when they bare down.
Also JWF has become the security blanket for this team. They rely on him so much that the other players just look to him to carry the team. If he has an off game that is a recipe for disaster. Sort of like when speedy was here. the year after speedy left the team had one of their best seasons. It was a senior ladden team that spread the wealth around. We did three things that year that no Speedy team had ever done. can you guys name them.
Guard-play put teams away down the stretch. Breaking the press, controlling the tempo and making free throws down the stretch.

Aside from JWR,
our PG-play has been inconsistent, AT BEST!
AND, Ray is already playing like a sophomore, and has proven he can shoot (J's and FT's) in the clutch.
AND, Pemberton can handle the pressure at crunch-time and make FT's. He had a clutch assist to The Rock in the last 3 minutes.

BUT, we need to find our PG and #5 at crunch-time (neither big can shoot FT's)

But unless the PG's mature, more CAA teams will press us, AND sooner than down 10 w/ 3min to go.

But, 2 roads wins and 3 days to prepare for the next game (home) feels nice! Hope we draw a better crowd at Home!
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

Polito wrote:
HUclassof19, by the way, welcome to the boards my friend! Love to see current students active on here, that's how I started way back in the Rivals days. Stay with us, and my advice would be to toughen up and develop thick skin - if you think there's been negative this past week, you ain't seen nothing yet bud - hell, you'll need to strap it on tight to face some of my feedback :P - just a friendly heads up, and some encouragement to have fun here and enjoy the fact we have such a passionate group of diehard fans! You now included!
if i need to deal with your feedback then you need to deal with mine. no thanks on telling me to toughen up develop thick skin. im allowed to call people out like you and others do too! lol.
Polito

Post by Polito »

lol, relax kid. Guess you and me are gonna start early in your 'career':

#1 I welcomed you to the board, accept it with some grace instead of an attitude like you're owed something. You're not.
#2 Save the internet tough guy talk for Twitter - you're not going run around here calling out anyone for a damn thing until you actually EARN some respect first. This ain't an RA meeting in Nassau-Suffolk.

Man fellas, we got a newbie showing that millennial mentality quickly out of the gate - is this how I was way back when I first burst on to the scene???

Who am I kidding, probably, right?!? LOL Ok, fine young buck, I kinda dig it. KINDA.

"I'm allowed!" "I have the right!" "I'm a human being on this earth for a whole hot minute and I DESERVE everything the rest of the world does just because!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sure, kid, sure. Get tough on your whopping 14th post, mouth off you like you've done something and know it all, and I'll grab the popcorn! :P
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Just remember Polito you were the one who called Uncle Buck and Bull Fan tools
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Back on the CAAZone, I remember Uncle Buck wanted to fight me at a football game cause I said something negative about the football team.. LOLOLOL.. Oh man those were the days.

Anyone know about any of the old timers from there?
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Come down off your high horse, Polito. We were all newbies at one time — even you. Everyone’s opinion is equal ( and welcome) here.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To HUclassof19, Welcome to the boards. Anyone who is passionate about the present, past, and future of HU Athletics is a great addition. I think we all would really like to understand the view from students who are on campus now. Any insights you can provide us are informative, so keep posting as often as you can. Also, as the old saying goes, "Don't forget to tell your friends." I would like to hear from other younger fans. To KRood, Welcome to the boards. It is great to read what a former HU player has to contribute. I look forward to reading your opinions.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

For those that dont know about Uncle Buck let me fill you in. He played football at Hofstra. Was a nose tackle who actually scored a touchdown in the same manner as the Fridge. When football was cut it tore his heart out. He might be the most passionate Hofstra fan I ever met and he is the reason I got on the Rivals message boards. So if you want to blame him for me being on be my guest. Bull fan is Uncles Bucks godfather to his children. Wish we had them back on the boards.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra wrote: Back on the CAAZone, I remember Uncle Buck wanted to fight me at a football game cause I said something negative about the football team.. LOLOLOL.. Oh man those were the days.

Anyone know about any of the old timers from there?
I registered on CAAZone on February 4, 2005.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Hofstra we had Joey Pensabene or better known as Joey bag of donuts. Also you hadGeneral Hoffmueller
Captain

Post by Captain »

Hey stuball did you hear the drexel announcer when discussing JM's coaching background refer to Mihalich as Joey bag of donuts too? No joke, I thought that was what I heard.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I haven't been around this group very long but I'm never at a loss for words or opinions. All this Uncle Buck crap seems really funny for me it just conjures up images of John Candy flipping Pancakes with a snow shovel. As for HUclassof19 some pretty ballsy stuff kid but more power to u. I try not to step on anyone's toes especially since I have only been posting for a few months but POLITO that sure seemed like a bitch slap. I think though that u didn't do anything out of line just compassionate about this program and speak your mind. Kinda like the POTUS! So HUclassof19 welcome and lets see if u got some informative input here and try to get some of your fellow students out to the Mack to root on our team!! We should be promoting JWF the second leading scorer in the country and an exciting player to watch. Just like Charles Jenkins got a big following JWF should be creating a lot of excitement around the campus. Spread the WORD!!