Hofstra Does Better When They're Underdogs

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Hofstra Does Better When They're Underdogs

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra has played 17 games, and 13 had betting lines. Games against Army, Kennesaw State, Molloy, and Stony Brook did not have lines. Hofstra is 6-7 in games with lines. The surprise is that Hofstra is 1-3 when favored and 5-4 when an underdog, with those records being to win the game, not against the spread. In the 4 games as favorites, Hofstra was favored by 23.5 combined and had a -18 point differential. In the 9 games as underdogs, Hofstra was an underdog by by 64 combined and had a -43 point differential. The point differential per game is worse when Hofstra was an underdog because Hofstra lost to Clemson and Villanova by 43 combined. In Hofstra's 9 games as underdogs not against Clemson or Villanova, Hofstra is 5-2 with a 0 point differential. The underdog has won 8 out of 13 games. When the favorite won, the favorite covered 4 times. The only time the favorite won but lost against the spread was against James Madison. I wonder if there are other teams who have been a favorite and an underdog at least 4 times each and have a better record as an underdog.

In addition, the "over" has won in 9 of Hofstra's last 11 games with lines. Against Elon, I was shocked that the over/under was only 148. http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas ... am/hofstra says it was 149.5, and the game was well over with 165. In Hofstra's last 11 games with lines, the average score has been 8.1 points higher than the over/under.
HUSID74

Re: Hofstra Does Better When They're Underdogs

Post by HUSID74 »

Evan, that's why I'm worried that we are 3 point favs against Drexel on the road. The Dragons are wounded after their loss Thurs to rival Delaware.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:Hofstra has played 17 games, and 13 had betting lines. Games against Army, Kennesaw State, Molloy, and Stony Brook did not have lines. Hofstra is 6-7 in games with lines. The surprise is that Hofstra is 1-3 when favored and 5-4 when an underdog, with those records being to win the game, not against the spread. In the 4 games as favorites, Hofstra was favored by 23.5 combined and had a -18 point differential. In the 9 games as underdogs, Hofstra was an underdog by by 64 combined and had a -43 point differential. The point differential per game is worse when Hofstra was an underdog because Hofstra lost to Clemson and Villanova by 43 combined. In Hofstra's 9 games as underdogs not against Clemson or Villanova, Hofstra is 5-2 with a 0 point differential. The underdog has won 8 out of 13 games. When the favorite won, the favorite covered 4 times. The only time the favorite won but lost against the spread was against James Madison. I wonder if there are other teams who have been a favorite and an underdog at least 4 times each and have a better record as an underdog.

In addition, the "over" has won in 9 of Hofstra's last 11 games with lines. Against Elon, I was shocked that the over/under was only 148. http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas ... am/hofstra says it was 149.5, and the game was well over with 165. In Hofstra's last 11 games with lines, the average score has been 8.1 points higher than the over/under.
So simply stated Evan and I'm in agreement that for us being favored it's almost always the KISS OF DEATH!! That was even true last year if my memory serves me well.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Last season Hofstra was 11-15 against the spread with 2 pushes and 4 games without spreads.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Evan, do you gamble on the games? Seems like you have a niche here.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra wrote: Evan, do you gamble on the games? Seems like you have a niche here.
I don't gamble, but I like numbers. I went to the Elon game, and if I could have legally bet on the over in the Mack Sports Complex right before the game started, I might have done it and won. Today's game exceeded the over by 26.5.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

EvanJ wrote:
Hofstra wrote: Evan, do you gamble on the games? Seems like you have a niche here.
I don't gamble, but I like numbers. I went to the Elon game, and if I could have legally bet on the over in the Mack Sports Complex right before the game started, I might have done it and won. Today's game exceeded the over by 26.5.
Gambling is illegal...
and I never slice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

And we covered!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Playing to the level of competition is frustrating to watch. But certainly not something that occurs only at HU - all too common across all sports and levels. I can't stand it though. Usually an indication of a lack of or not yet mature enough leadership somewhere, player or staff...or both.