Mens Hoops Recruiting - What is Really Going On?

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: Mens Hoops Recruiting - What is Really Going On?

Post by stuball888 »

The center position has become more mobile. Very few monsters in the middle. Except for Chuckow(sp) and Gustys, Sabety I don’t hink there are any space eaters in the CAA. If we go with Schutte and Trueheart next year , our guards are going to have to crash the boards big time
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: The center position has become more mobile. Very few monsters in the middle. Except for Chuckow(sp) and Gustys, Sabety I don’t hink there are any space eaters in the CAA.
Do you mean Devontae Cacok? I wonder how many players have led Division I in two statistics. He lead in field goal percentage last season and leads in rebounds per game this season. If you exclude William & Mary's Nathan Knight who has attempted 18 three-pointers, in addition to Cacok and Gustys there are:

Drexel's Austin Williams averages 9.6 points, 9.0 rebounds, and 2.8 blocked shots. He has attempted 1 three-pointer.

Delaware's Eric Carter averages 11.1 points and 8.9 rebounds. He hasn't attempted a three-pointer.

UNC Wilmington's Marcus Bryan (who is teammates with Cacok) averages 4.9 points and 6.9 rebounds. He hasn't attempted a three-pointer.

College of Charleston's Nick Harris averages 6.6 points, 6.7 rebounds, and 1.6 blocked shots. He hasn't attempted a three-pointer.

James Madison's DeVelle Phillips averages 9.0 points, 7.3 rebounds, and 1.6 blocked shots. He hasn't attempted a three-pointer.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Very true, the game has and is still changing, especially the 5 spot. HU will certainly need to bring in a guy who fits the newer mold in this class.

And no, Schutte is not it. Will just leave it at that.

Ideally HU should sign 2 5's and a 1. I think Coburn acts as the 3 fill for this class. So it does make sense that there aren't huge number needs in this class, just 2 key positions.

And I want to see this staff not whiff. These have been glaring needs, no one can claim surprise, the spots should be adequately filled. I understand the athletic talented 6'9 big is not waiting outside the arena, but that's why you need to work your ass off EARLY instead praying for miracles in the summer. Not an acceptable excuse.

And PG's?? PLEASE. There are a zillion talented points across the country, particularly in the tri-state - there are more players than there are spots to fill in D1, so whiffing there is embarrassing, especially with a guy like Speedy on staff.

Bottom line, get it done, and get it done right this time.