Mens Hoops Recruiting - What is Really Going On?

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Mens Hoops Recruiting - What is Really Going On?

Post by Polito »

Only HU and NU have not yet secured '18 commitments - WHY? Why can 8 of 10 can get it done, and yet HU struggles every year? NU I get with the tougher academic standards, but HU? Just doesn't make sense...

And it isn't because HU is going after some uber high caliber that the rest of the CAA isn't, because every game continues to be a damn struggle every friggin year, so it's pretty clear every other CAA team is doing just as well in this dept to matchup with HU.

To be fair, the staff has pulled some miracles over the years and somehow managed to fill classes, but things like Trueheart are pure LUCK - it's getting scarier and scarier every year, and the desperation is feeling more real and more concerning every year - and the only feedback is "it's hard" (only for HU I guess? lol)

The last minute stuff is not going to hold up. There is really no excuse for this program to be fighting from behind every class. And I know they put effort and focus to it, they talk about it all the time, so what gives??? Does HU just not have enough 'closers'?

It looks way too easy for others, and way too difficult for HU - doesn't add up, and I think it's high time to address it more publicly. The tough excuse, or that all players just want to wait for bigger offers, or any other excuse doesn't hold when every other CAA program seems to have no trouble securing their programs in both normal signing periods.

It's usually only HU that is running around like chickens with their heads cut off all summer trying to bring in the required pieces that nearly every other program filled MONTHS before. This is no bueno.

The rest of the CAA outside of UNCW has nothing real to sell either, most haven't been dancing in a long time, yet they can get commits and HU is left scrambling.

This is going to really hurt this program and bite everyone in the ass sooner rather than later, and I think it's time to raise the red flag and start to get real answers before the sh!t really hits the fan and the program suffers or can't recover for a number of years.

Thoughts??
joeg1

Re: Mens Hoops Recruiting - What is Really Going On?

Post by joeg1 »

Are NE's standards tougher than WM or JMU's? Those are two high end institutions on the academic scale.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Having a senior in HS who just went through the college applications process, I can say with certainty that W&M and more recently NU both have tougher academic standards.

As far as HU always scrambling at the last minute, I can only see that as an issue if we are to believe that we are solely going after 3 star and better recruits and when we lose them, we are left scrambling. Personally, I don't think that is the case.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito wrote:Only HU and NU have not yet secured '18 commitments - WHY? Why can 8 of 10 can get it done, and yet HU struggles every year? NU I get with the tougher academic standards, but HU? Just doesn't make sense...

And it isn't because HU is going after some uber high caliber that the rest of the CAA isn't, because every game continues to be a damn struggle every friggin year, so it's pretty clear every other CAA team is doing just as well in this dept to matchup with HU.

To be fair, the staff has pulled some miracles over the years and somehow managed to fill classes, but things like Trueheart are pure LUCK - it's getting scarier and scarier every year, and the desperation is feeling more real and more concerning every year - and the only feedback is "it's hard" (only for HU I guess? lol)

The last minute stuff is not going to hold up. There is really no excuse for this program to be fighting from behind every class. And I know they put effort and focus to it, they talk about it all the time, so what gives??? Does HU just not have enough 'closers'?

It looks way too easy for others, and way too difficult for HU - doesn't add up, and I think it's high time to address it more publicly. The tough excuse, or that all players just want to wait for bigger offers, or any other excuse doesn't hold when every other CAA program seems to have no trouble securing their programs in both normal signing periods.

It's usually only HU that is running around like chickens with their heads cut off all summer trying to bring in the required pieces that nearly every other program filled MONTHS before. This is no bueno.

The rest of the CAA outside of UNCW has nothing real to sell either, most haven't been dancing in a long time, yet they can get commits and HU is left scrambling.

This is going to really hurt this program and bite everyone in the ass sooner rather than later, and I think it's time to raise the red flag and start to get real answers before the sh!t really hits the fan and the program suffers or can't recover for a number of years.

Thoughts??
Funny that the two schools w/o and signees to this date have the HIGHEST rated talent in the CAA according to Verbal Commits...Check it out http://verbalcommits.com/conferences/colonial

So from my point of view, yes it would be nice to have one or two kids "in the bank" at this point but it is not necessary...
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This is a lot of food for thought and not something that there's an easy answer to. I've seen different trains of thought from fans here about early signing as opposed to late signing. I thought that both ST and EP fell into our laps as a matter of default. Both had initially signed with other CAA schools. This obviously was good for us since both are quality players with the jury somewhat out on ST. We have signed one year, two year and three year rentals. Some good gets re Graduate players/transfers like Dion Nesmith and Denton Koon who I really thought by himself put us over the top that year. There r lots of options re recruits now with HU getting players from other countries. I'm thinking that with the proper mix of kids E.G. transfers, graduate students and H.S. players this will come out in the wash. Ideally I know a lot of people would like to bring in an entire freshman class but I'm thinking this is a wish list more then reality. If we can get good ball players and put together a strong team then I don't care how the pieces of the puzzle come together! I don't think it's time to jump off the roof just yet!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

It does seem like we focus more on the JUCO route then other CAA schools (haven't actually looked up the numbers so this could be wrong) and those players don't really sign early. Same thing with graduate transfers who we seem to have been grabbing 1 each class.

I know the past two classes (before 2018) we signed 1 player in the early period each.

The 2016 class had EP early and then we filled it out with a JUCO of Ty Greer and a late signing of Trueheart. We did leave 2 scholarships open but its tough to know for sure if that was by design or by the coaches unable to fill the class. If it was by design I think then I agree that they did one early, one JUCO and one for a late transfer/decommit.

The 2017 class had JR early and then a bunch late. But remember going into the early period we only had I think 3 scholarships available. So the plan might have been the same as 2016; one early, one juco, one late transfer/decommit. In the end we had the one early, one JUCO, one late transfer (coburn) and two freshman late (and I think we are all happy with Radovic with Schutte still a question mark) with leaving one scholarship open. Its tough to know for sure when these players decided to transfer and therefore when the coaches knew they had the extra scholarships but if they didn't know until late then you can't blame them for signing Radovic and Schutte late.

The plan for 2018 might have been the same formula (one early, one JUCO, one late transfer/decommit) and the Kupsas miss messed up their plans; granted that isn't an excuse.

Don't get me wrong here; I basically agree with your comments that they need to work harder to sign players early. Just offering a different thought process.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Staff leaving too much to chance...
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I think next year, our starters and key subs are set except Rok's replacement, who is likely somewhere in the JUCO ranks now.

This also assumes someone grabs the ring as the lead PG...if not, we may go JUCO/Grad transfer there as well.

I think the process is evolving somewhat from filling traditional roles to recruiting skilled athletes, preferably with size.
Cards

Post by Cards »

joeg1 wrote:I think next year, our starters and key subs are set except Rok's replacement, who is likely somewhere in the JUCO ranks now.
YIKES :o If our starters are already set for next year and the likelihood is that it will be tough to get someone that will immediately be better than Rok is now, why would anyone expect different results next year than we are seeing right now :cry: :cry: :cry:
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HofstraMathew wrote: We did leave 2 scholarships open but its tough to know for sure if that was by design or by the coaches unable to fill the class. If it was by design I think then I agree that they did one early, one JUCO and one for a late transfer/decommit.
Fans have said that Hofstra never awards more than 11 out of the allowed 13 scholarships because Hofstra is unwilling to let two more students not pay tuition.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

EvanJ wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote: We did leave 2 scholarships open but its tough to know for sure if that was by design or by the coaches unable to fill the class. If it was by design I think then I agree that they did one early, one JUCO and one for a late transfer/decommit.
Fans have said that Hofstra never awards more than 11 out of the allowed 13 scholarships because Hofstra is unwilling to let two more students not pay tuition.
Evan we have 12 this year...I can't remember when we had a full 13 on scholarship though.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Cards wrote:
joeg1 wrote:I think next year, our starters and key subs are set except Rok's replacement, who is likely somewhere in the JUCO ranks now.
YIKES :o If our starters are already set for next year and the likelihood is that it will be tough to get someone that will immediately be better than Rok is now, why would anyone expect different results next year than we are seeing right now :cry: :cry: :cry:
LOL
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID74 wrote:
EvanJ wrote:
Evan we have 12 this year...I can't remember when we had a full 13 on scholarship though.
The roster has 13 players. Is everybody except Klementowicz on scholarship? Even with 12 scholarships, 2 won't play all season.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Some good feedback, thanks all, appreciate the input

I've felt pretty good overall with the talent HU brings in, just the timing of it drives me crazy personally - I just feel like it's getting closer and scarier every year, and at some point the fire they're playing with is likely going to burn them.

Seems most of us are on the same page, and to me the fact that HU lands pretty good talent just underscores the fact that this program should've been dancing already, and absolutely should be this year as well.

Which IMO highlights a glaring issue regarding coaching. But that is another entirely separate thread/topic, so I don't want to derail this with that.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

The way I look at it is, we have openings for two forward spots, if ST continues to emerge, one forward starting spot, unless Schutte is something off the charts, which is unlikely.

Personally, I would have liked to see one forward spot filled in the early signing period, with the main selling point being a potential starter next year. I think losing Kupsas really hurts, he would have been a great fit, and a potential starter out of the gate.

While WE know we need a PG, an incoming recruit sees a brick wall of minutes by EP, JWF, and Ray, with DB getting 20+ as well. Coburn also has three years of eligibility, and will likely get significant minutes as well. Playing time is a hard sell for a guard this year, so I'm not surprised we haven't signed one yet.

So ultimately, I'm not surprised this recruiting class is going slowly because we don't really have huge openings in playing time. I just wanted to see one recruit in the early signing period because we seem to get our best recruits early (JWF, EP, ROK, JR), and major programs come in late and sign our targeted recruits in the late signing period. I don't mind having a few scholarships open in the late period though, because it allows the roster to be open for grad transfers, and JUCO's which have helped us tremendously.

We would have been in perfect shape if Kupsas signed IMO, alas, back to the drawing board.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

That is correct Evan, ten playing two sitting out and then Conner who is a walk on.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I like Radovic, too. We are in reasonably good shape for next year, like I said, except for a real big body who can play right away. Which is why we may go JUCO/Grad for a 5
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

joeg1 wrote:I like Radovic, too. We are in reasonably good shape for next year, like I said, except for a real big body who can play right away. Which is why we may go JUCO/Grad for a 5
i think at the end of the day when you break it down we only have 40 minutes of playing time available to new players.

I see Ray, Wright-Forman and Pemba averaging at least 30 minutes each.
I see Coburn, Buie and Wormley averaging at least 10 minutes each (maybe Buie is more and the other two are less but averaging around 10 between the three of them.)

Between those 6 that takes up our 120 minutes for the 1-3 spots.

You then have Trueheart and Radovic who seem like they should combine for the 40 minutes at the 4 spot; essentially I expect them each to split the minutes Angus is getting this year. And it seems like Angus' minutes might start to dwindle as the season goes on.

So then you only have the 5 spot open with a very raw Schutte a question mark. Coach has also played Trueheart at the 5 a little this year; so if him and Radovic are playing well you could see them combine for over 40 minutes.

Its definitely a tough sell for a guard to come in during this class.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HofstraMathew wrote:
joeg1 wrote:I like Radovic, too. We are in reasonably good shape for next year, like I said, except for a real big body who can play right away. Which is why we may go JUCO/Grad for a 5
i think at the end of the day when you break it down we only have 40 minutes of playing time available to new players.

I see Coburn, Buie and Wormley averaging at least 10 minutes each (maybe Buie is more and the other two are less but averaging around 10 between the three of them.)

You then have Trueheart and Radovic who seem like they should combine for the 40 minutes at the 4 spot; essentially I expect them each to split the minutes Angus is getting this year. And it seems like Angus' minutes might start to dwindle as the season goes on.

So then you only have the 5 spot open with a very raw Schutte a question mark. Coach has also played Trueheart at the 5 a little this year; so if him and Radovic are playing well you could see them combine for over 40 minutes.

I think we are seriously going to need a space eater to replace RG and HS - whether you like our bigs game or not we can't take their graduating lightly - the signing of a big bounder is going to be necessary.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

HofstraMathew wrote:

Not if the guard can realy play the point in which case he starts ahead of our two current guys! Agree we a couple of big guys...As long as they're long, strong and can rebound and defend I'll be happy...we don't need monsters in the middle for the way we play...We DO need to replace a lot of rebounds.