Game 15 - JMU

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: Game 15 - JMU

Post by Jojogunne »

ProudofPride wrote:
ProudofPride wrote:i "heard a little birdie" say that Lamar Odom was at the game tonight. Can anyone confirm that?
Looks like the dance team confirmed this. Now the question is why.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdnvj0NlhEI ... adanceteam
Odom played HS ball with Speedy at Christ the King. Add in Erick Barkley and you have three members of that squad who played in the NBA.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Loved seeing HU/JWF on ESPN again... it was def a big shot, but really not a big game even by mid major standards, was surprised to see that shot make it - and if anything JWF had a move to the basket that I thought was much better for an espn top play, surprised not to see that one shown if anything.

Odom in the audience is still odd, even with the Speedy connection. He's been under some media fire very recently for some partying and such as he's trying to overcome some things. Def strange he would be at HU to watch a JMU game...

Exciting game (unfortunately) and JWF is becoming an incredible player before our eyes. Another true stud in a long lineage of stellar guards at HU over the years. He's worth watching HU hoops on his own. Thankfully. And getting some ESPN shine never hurts! Good for him, the team, program, and HU!

Flip side is, this was the last place team... at home. No heroics should be needed. But alas, have to take the W's any way they come with the current state of the team and program.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito wrote:Loved seeing HU/JWF on ESPN again... it was def a big shot, but really not a big game even by mid major standards, was surprised to see that shot make it - and if anything JWF had a move to the basket that I thought was much better for an espn top play, surprised not to see that one shown if anything.

Odom in the audience is still odd, even with the Speedy connection. He's been under some media fire very recently for some partying and such as he's trying to overcome some things. Def strange he would be at HU to watch a JMU game...

Exciting game (unfortunately) and JWF is becoming an incredible player before our eyes. Another true stud in a long lineage of stellar guards at HU over the years. He's worth watching HU hoops on his own. Thankfully. And getting some ESPN shine never hurts! Good for him, the team, program, and HU!

Flip side is, this was the last place team... at home. No heroics should be needed. But alas, have to take the W's any way they come with the current state of the team and program.
Polito, you know I love you but enough already!
Polito

Post by Polito »

All good HUSID 8-) believe it or not, I am very thankful for your positive perspectives, we all need it... no matter how naive :P lol.

However, I said before the season started, this was the last year for nonsense, no excuses, the gloves are coming off. This staff gets ZERO passes in year 5. With Keatts gone, this program should've been poised to separate itself into the top 2, and yet, here we are with the same BS. 1 stud, no defense, no answers, and a team that still hasn't won ANY weekend tournament, in season or CAAT.

They've had enough time to build 'their' program, get 'their' players, install 'their' system, and I am going to call them out for the lackluster results thus far - and I hope and pray many other fans who've had enough will too.

I am honestly not looking to be a jerk about it, I am just not going to sugarcoat anything. Nor am I going to stand by and accept what we're seeing. I know they want to win as badly or more than we do, not questioning the staff's heart, passion, or desire to succeed. I know they want it bad. But unfortunately, that's not enough. At some point, we need to see it. And the fair consensus is 5 years is the adequate measure. So far, it's lackluster to say the least.

Every game is by the skin of their teeth, and just not winning this conf in 3 straight tough games like that, and I know you know that.

I know you have certain connections and relationships that garner a different type of support, totally understand, but even you cannot be ok with this current state. And if the end of this season goes the way it looks like, it will be time to get loud about change.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Good post Polito - I agree 100% on all items.

Everyone is pulling for this program - but if we truly want to be an impact mid-major program, then the results have to be taken into account and they have to be owned.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Believe me, no one wants to see this program succeed more than I do...I bleed Blue and Gold and suffer when this, our flagship program does not succeed. But I also recognize the realities of this business and HOW TOUGH IT IS TO WIN LET ALONE GET TO THE NCAA TOURNAMENT.

I have many concerns about the state of this program; most importantly the level of support it receives from the University...the scoreboard being a highly visible example, but there are many others, believe me.

We talk about mid majors such as VCU, Gonzaga, even Villanova on these Boards, yet no one here knows/understands the level of support it takes from their respective institutions to attain the level of success that these programs have enjoyed...even within the CAA the level of support/resources varies dramatically from school to school.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Great post HUSID, with you 100%.

The HU admin has a LOT to answer for IMO in regards to the support of it's so-called flagship sport. Completely unacceptable. And it's not lost on me or hopefully anyone else just how badly that impacts the program and the results ANY staff can get.

It's HUGE, and I get it fully. This isn't just JM, although he bears his own accountability and should absolutely answer for it.

But the admin is in no way off the hook. And I've said before, if HU wants more financial support from it's fans, then you put YOUR money where your mouth is and show is why it's worth it.

As my mentor has taught me many times:
A) I am not going to make you a priority if you make me an option.
B) If you are not willing to invest in YOURSELF, then I damn sure am not going to invest in you.

HU is making mens hoops optional with little to no real investment, and demanding everyone else make it a priority and back it.

Nope. Time for this school to cowboy up, and prove it's serious with a vision and a commitment - SHOW us it's worthy of our support, THEN you will get it. Not the other way around.

When I see THAT, then I'll know we have real leadership worth investing my time and money in. Because right now, I am an embarrassed alum by what we are seeing. It's absolutely disgraceful.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Husid and Polito - you are both on target.
Anyone think that its simply the chicken and the egg syndrome - meaning the univ won't pony up because there no fan base, but without the university investment, there is no draw or buzz to create a fan base. Or do you think the univ simply will never invest in MBB and they are just screwing with us?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I dont know the level of commitment by President Rabinowitz toward the mens BB program or sports in particular. What I do know is what we all see. Lets look at the arena. besides the scoreboard and sound system there are major cracks in the floor separating the lower stands from the upper stands. When a recruit comes her ,does he or she notice it? I have no idea but those three things stand out to me along with the lack of support of our fans and the students on campus. The past two homes games we drew a total of a little over 3,000. With an average of 1,500 fams a game is that suppossed to impress a recruit for mens basketball. Dont get me started on attendance for womens basketball. To me it starts at the top.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'm not looking at the business end of this program which like most everything in life especially sports is in fact a business. You guys r making good points but what specifically r u referring to when u say the university is not investing in this so called Flagship sport. We have a decent size salaries to account for with the coach and coaches. We have travel expenses and have played in tournaments outside the country. Then there's the upkeep of the Mack and the practice facility. What about all the scholarships given out to the players? Obviously it's a cheaper program to run then football but maybe I'm naive it still seems like it's an expensive cash outlay for the university. R u guys referring to the scoreboard upgrades etc. Can you spell it out with specifics??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I think it's a bit unfair Stu to talk about the fans in the last few games especially with the weather. Snow storm and bitter cold. Our attendance although overall is dismal we need a winner to bring people out and a player that excites and motivates people to come out and see him. I believe we have that player in JWF but we still need to win games. What good was JWF scoring 39 pts. yesterday and us getting blownout? I didn't leave the Mack with a warm fuzzy feeling!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

If you haven't noticed, college sports is an ARMS RACE and the race is fueled by money...if we want to be a perennial mid-major powerhouse like you all seem to want it takes more of a commitment from the University, alumni, fans, community, businesses, etc....Just not happening to the degree it should across the board...we could get into lots of things; the scoreboard, arena improvements, the WAY we travel, recruiting budgets, marketing of the program, scheduling (lack of quality home games for example)...I could go on.

Someone mentioned COA, cost of attendance...is Hofstra providing this assistance to the basketball programs???? We know that other CAA schools are.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:I think it's a bit unfair Stu to talk about the fans in the last few games especially with the weather. Snow storm and bitter cold. Our attendance although overall is dismal we need a winner to bring people out and a player that excites and motivates people to come out and see him. I believe we have that player in JWF but we still need to win games. What good was JWF scoring 39 pts. yesterday and us getting blownout? I didn't leave the Mack with a warm fuzzy feeling!
Agree triplec...although I thought the turnout was pretty good yesterday and unfortunately we laid an egg on the court....wonder how many will come back.

Our academic calendar also hurts attendance during Jan as there are virtually no students on campus for the entire month...we have one of the LONGEST winter breaks in the COUNTRY
Cards

Post by Cards »

Triplec - Things like the scoreboard matter, but they are only a small part.

how about the fact that we didn't have a home game in the month of December! I know we had Nova but.....

Why don't we play any decent non CAA teams at the Mack. Recall when St Bonaventure came in for a game - as I recall it was a good crowd and good game. We played Iona a few times and those were always very well attended. Why cant we schedule St Bon again? how about GW, St josephs, Umass, VCU, Dayton, Richmond? What about St Johns, Rutgers, Penn St, Seton Hall, UConn. Now maybe some of these teams are not interested in playing HU, but I can't imagine that they all are asking for huge appearance fees. Get the game on the schedule and then promote the heck out of it! Get the game next fall, make sure the students are on campus, and promote it as "come watch one of the most prolific scorers in the Nation (JWF) against....." Put a full page picture of a JWF dunk with the text on the picture in Newsday, on News12, on some local radio. Its going to cost some money to fill the stands - make the investment!

Does anyone know how big of a program a team needs to break even or even make some coin? Is all the money made on invitations to play elsewhere? Can you make money with 3000 paid fans each game? What does it take?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

All good points and questions Cards and I don't know how many of u guys go back as far as I do and I remember playing St Johns in the old Physical Fitness Center. I also remember when Tim Cluess was playing for us after transferring from St Johns. I never stopped to think about all these respectable mid major programs playing us at home and now nothing recently. I don't know if anyone has any inside info. on the financial state of affairs of our basketball program?? Does anyone know how much Joe is getting paid? He must have come here because this was a promotion both in terms of salary, school program and it being a better conference. It's kind of strange that with the Metro AA Conference ranked substantially below the Colonial JM was able to recruit players from the Philly area have them come to HU and excel in the Colonial and actual win a POY award. We then go to the CAA finals after winning the conference. It does speak some volume for his ability and lets not forget he cleaned this program up which was his major objective here in the first instance. How do we get feedback from our Alumni to the powers that be at HU since we all have major concerns??
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Triple we have had other coaches come to our meetings. The story seems to be the same for the lesser sports. These coaches spend about 60 percent of their time fundraising and need a second job in order to live on long island
Cards

Post by Cards »

Based on what I have heard - this is not based on firsthand factual info - this is only what has been stated on this board (which may or may not be true). JM came to HU with a significant pay raise, at a minimum of 250K. After several years his contract was extended and he was given another raise to approx. 400K (this irked many of us because he was given these plums before he could even show that he was capable of bringing home the hardware). As far as I know (based on this board) is that he is the highest paid MBB coach in the CAA. In some cases, his salary is way beyond the pay of other MBB CAA coaches.

If the above is true, the obvious conclusion (in my eyes) is that he has not earned his salary.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Cards wrote:Based on what I have heard - this is not based on firsthand factual info - this is only what has been stated on this board (which may or may not be true). JM came to HU with a significant pay raise, at a minimum of 250K. After several years his contract was extended and he was given another raise to approx. 400K (this irked many of us because he was given these plums before he could even show that he was capable of bringing home the hardware). As far as I know (based on this board) is that he is the highest paid MBB coach in the CAA. In some cases, his salary is way beyond the pay of other MBB CAA coaches.

If the above is true, the obvious conclusion (in my eyes) is that he has not earned his salary.
Per publicly available Form 990 filings with the IRS Mihalich has been paid the following:

source: https://www.guidestar.org/

Year ending August 31, 2016 $429,519
Year ending August 31, 2015 $422,639
Year ending August 31, 2014 Not listed. They are only required to list officers and the 5 highest paid employees. The lowest salary to make the 5 highest was $329,779; so his salary was below this.

If you are curious you could review other colleges on that website to see what they pay their head coaches. Between this for private schools and public records for the public schools you should be able to find out for sure who is the highest paid coach in the conference.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

These numbers are just for base salary...there's more there....
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Cards wrote:Triplec - Things like the scoreboard matter, but they are only a small part.

how about the fact that we didn't have a home game in the month of December! I know we had Nova but.....

Why don't we play any decent non CAA teams at the Mack. Recall when St Bonaventure came in for a game - as I recall it was a good crowd and good game. We played Iona a few times and those were always very well attended. Why cant we schedule St Bon again? how about GW, St josephs, Umass, VCU, Dayton, Richmond? What about St Johns, Rutgers, Penn St, Seton Hall, UConn. Now maybe some of these teams are not interested in playing HU, but I can't imagine that they all are asking for huge appearance fees. Get the game on the schedule and then promote the heck out of it! Get the game next fall, make sure the students are on campus, and promote it as "come watch one of the most prolific scorers in the Nation (JWF) against....." Put a full page picture of a JWF dunk with the text on the picture in Newsday, on News12, on some local radio. Its going to cost some money to fill the stands - make the investment!

Does anyone know how big of a program a team needs to break even or even make some coin? Is all the money made on invitations to play elsewhere? Can you make money with 3000 paid fans each game? What does it take?
The costs of running a mid major basketball program are fairly well documented....but ther are so many variables. For example, how does a school value a full scholarship....is it the full price paid by a regular student, or does the school place a different cost for a seat in an otherwise not full classroom. Does that athlete qualify for any other aid? How do you compare a full scholarship at Hofstra vs a public school like Stony Brook?

The NCAA allows 13 full scholarships for a D1 men's program. When was the last time we had 13? This year we have 12 including our two red shirts....

I believe I read somewhere the CAA schools spend something like 1.8 to 3 million per year on men's basketball with Hofstra somewhere in the middle. So obviously the program is not a money maker