Game 15 - JMU

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: Game 15 - JMU

Post by EvanJ »

A James Madison fan complained that they had two players defending inside the three-point line at the end of regulation.

Gustys is up to 11th in Division I in rebounds per game.

Ray and Wormley shoot three-pointers better than two-pointers. Their combined percentage shooting two-pointers is a horrible .256. Hofstra's two-point field goal percentage is .504, which goes up to .544 if you take out Ray and Wormley.

Edit: Hofstra had 20 assists, 20 turnovers, and 21 fouls. It was the third time since 2010-2011 that a CAA team had at least 20 of each against another CAA team. The previous two times were George Mason at Northeastern on February 22, 2012 and Elon hosting Delaware on February 4, 2016.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Obviously it's not all that important maybe psychologically more then anything but I would like to see JR start as the PG if u will and let KW and DB come off the bench. We have gotten very little scoring from either one of them and with the exception of a few games neither one of them has played well. Last night it didn't take long for DB after he just came in the game to turn the ball over. He had a nice game against SB but aside from that game he has been very sub par as has KW. As things stand right now all things remaining equal there's very little scoring after JWF and without getting points on a regular basis from RG and EP we are going to be hard pressed winning games even when we play decent defense. They need to give JR the opportunity to start IMO and see if he can give them consistent points game in game out. He definitely has a 3 point game and hustles on defense. I also like to see ST and MR getting more minutes also because they both seem to be hungry right now and bring us some defense and size.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:This game was close for two reasons . One we could not stop Mosley who went off on us for 37 points Second we had 20 turnovers. the bakery was open 24/7 last night. We had a 9 rebound advantage but that was negated by our 20 turnovers to their 10 turnovers. Let face it, it was a win. I will take it but we played down to our competition once again.
Nobody has mentioned this but not only did Mosley have a big offensive game he was all over JWF taking him out of his comfort zone.
Cards

Post by Cards »

A win is a win - we'll take it.

Congrats to Rok - Only third player in HU history to 1000 pts and 1000 rebs!

Now - someone tell me why the last 15 seconds of regulation happened the way it did. :o :( We are down by 1 pt and are in the front court and still have a timeout to burn. So JM strategy is to simply let the guys play and maybe with 10 seconds left we can hit an NBA 3 pointer. WHAT THE HECK WAS GOING ON????? Why was there no timeout taken and a play set up with several options? We had plenty of time to execute. We only needed 1 pt to tie. A layup or 15 footer would have iced it, getting fouled while shooting would have at least tied it or won it. Instead, JM is OK with letting them go and take a very low percentage shot with the LOSS staring us in the face! I don't get it. Someone please tell me why I'm wrong (and don't tell me jm has no confidence that we can inbound the ball successfully after a timeout). Unless I'm really missing something, that had to be the worst 15 seconds of in-game coaching I've seen. WOW :roll: :roll:
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I am ok with not calling the timeout. You take a quick shot to still give us a chance to foul and extend the game. If you essentially make it so you only need to hit 1 of 2 shots it increases your chances significantly.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HofstraMathew wrote:I am ok with not calling the timeout. You take a quick shot to still give us a chance to foul and extend the game. If you essentially make it so you only need to hit 1 of 2 shots it increases your chances significantly.
Too many "ifs" and too little time (in my opinion). If you hit the first shot, then you give them control with a chance to tie or win (even if you foul - its double bonus). I shudder in my boots when we give the opponents the final shot to win.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

A lot of people were surprised to see JWF take that shot as was I but the more that I think about it this scenario probably had been discussed at some point during the game and I believe that they give JWF carte blanche at crunch time. My feeling was this was strictly his decision to decide is he going to drive the lane, pull up for a short shot or try to hit a shot of the glass. He obviously likes to shoot from the top of the key and had a good look at the basket. I like his chances hitting that shot since he's such a good shooter and if he should get fouled he shoots it well from the foul line.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Cards wrote:A win is a win - we'll take it.

Congrats to Rok - Only third player in HU history to 1000 pts and 1000 rebs!

Now - someone tell me why the last 15 seconds of regulation happened the way it did. :o :( We are down by 1 pt and are in the front court and still have a timeout to burn. So JM strategy is to simply let the guys play and maybe with 10 seconds left we can hit an NBA 3 pointer. WHAT THE HECK WAS GOING ON????? Why was there no timeout taken and a play set up with several options? We had plenty of time to execute. We only needed 1 pt to tie. A layup or 15 footer would have iced it, getting fouled while shooting would have at least tied it or won it. Instead, JM is OK with letting them go and take a very low percentage shot with the LOSS staring us in the face! I don't get it. Someone please tell me why I'm wrong (and don't tell me jm has no confidence that we can inbound the ball successfully after a timeout). Unless I'm really missing something, that had to be the worst 15 seconds of in-game coaching I've seen. WOW :roll: :roll:
No JMU not fouling us on our last possession was much worse.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:A lot of people were surprised to see JWF take that shot as was I but the more that I think about it this scenario probably had been discussed at some point during the game and I believe that they give JWF carte blanche at crunch time. My feeling was this was strictly his decision to decide is he going to drive the lane, pull up for a short shot or try to hit a shot of the glass. He obviously likes to shoot from the top of the key and had a good look at the basket. I like his chances hitting that shot since he's such a good shooter and if he should get fouled he shoots it well from the foul line.
Totally agree...put the ball in the hands of your best player and let him have the green light...Ok now to focus on Elon
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

Mike34 wrote:Agree with tripletec on all BUT.... HS deserves more minutes!!! Yes RG was great tonight with the rebounding BUT he gives up a lot of points by totally moving out of the way and letting the other team shoot uncontested . There were many times tonight that the entire team watched JMU shoot while playing zero defense. One guy on the other team had 37 points. No one could defend/ contest his shots??? Yes , great win but this team gives up way too many points. Congrats to RG on 1000 points - that is awesome. Any other coach would not give him the playing time to achieve that based on the number of easy layups he misses and the lack of defense at times so that he does not draw fouls.
im semi new here and not sure if this is some joke i dont get or not but if this is meant to be serious this is the worst take of all time. lol

rokas has had his best back to back games in probably a year.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:Obviously it's not all that important maybe psychologically more then anything but I would like to see JR start as the PG if u will and let KW and DB come off the bench. We have gotten very little scoring from either one of them and with the exception of a few games neither one of them has played well. Last night it didn't take long for DB after he just came in the game to turn the ball over. He had a nice game against SB but aside from that game he has been very sub par as has KW. As things stand right now all things remaining equal there's very little scoring after JWF and without getting points on a regular basis from RG and EP we are going to be hard pressed winning games even when we play decent defense. They need to give JR the opportunity to start IMO and see if he can give them consistent points game in game out. He definitely has a 3 point game and hustles on defense. I also like to see ST and MR getting more minutes also because they both seem to be hungry right now and bring us some defense and size.
* not sure how JAM decides on who is starting PG - how they practice, prior games performance, hunch - but whoever it is it certainly JR that deserves the minutes and for now is the best compliment to JFW
* my concern as far the minutes of our G is that JFW and EP need to get breathers - DB and KW can certainly take some of slack for periods of the game to give our studs some rest
* in the front court - MR and ST move better then any of our bigs - MR seems to have a knack for the ball off the glass - ST I like what he does when plays and IMO needs playing time and experience to best help us down the road
* yes I noticed Mosley was covering JFW - that is some impressive performance by that kid - on both ends of the court
* speaking of covering our guards - I noticed how outsized we are at the G position last night - JFW, EP, JR and DB - compared to JMU (I know I looked at both teams rosters and looked at what they are listed at - not that big of a diiference) and what I saw on the court
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Cards wrote:Now - someone tell me why the last 15 seconds of regulation happened the way it did. :o :( We are down by 1 pt and are in the front court and still have a timeout to burn. So JM strategy is to simply let the guys play and maybe with 10 seconds left we can hit an NBA 3 pointer. WHAT THE HECK WAS GOING ON????? Why was there no timeout taken and a play set up with several options? We had plenty of time to execute. We only needed 1 pt to tie. A layup or 15 footer would have iced it, getting fouled while shooting would have at least tied it or won it. Instead, JM is OK with letting them go and take a very low percentage shot with the LOSS staring us in the face! I don't get it. Someone please tell me why I'm wrong (and don't tell me jm has no confidence that we can inbound the ball successfully after a timeout). Unless I'm really missing something, that had to be the worst 15 seconds of in-game coaching I've seen. WOW :roll: :roll:
I mean, the obvious goal is to get a good look for the win. If they don't get the shot by 10 seconds, you just call the timeout, and call a play. JMU decided to protect the interior to prevent the drive into the paint, which we were getting in the last five minutes of regulation.

JWF got a WIDE OPEN look for the win, and missed. The extra time on the clock, plus the timeout, set up the tying play. It was a strong strategy to optimize the amount of possessions in the final 30 seconds. If we're down 2 instead, we probably would have done something totally different though, and just ran down the clock for the last shot, but being down 1 allowed us to have guaranteed multiple possessions in the last 30 seconds to get the win/tie.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

JWF missed that last 3 but he made up for it in OT - he is an insane basketball player all around
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

ProudofPride wrote:We made ESPN again!
https://twitter.com/HofstraPride/status ... 0322324480
Awesome job by our incredibly dedicated Office of Athletic Communications staff to help make that happen. Incredible publicity.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

That was some hard screen that RG set on Mosley #3. I think that was the key to JWF getting a good look for the game tying 3 pointer.
Last edited by The Shadow on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Mike34 wrote:JWF missed that last 3 but he made up for it in OT - he is an insane basketball player all around
I'd say he made up for it a few seconds later with the game tying three to send us to OT.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

The Shadow wrote:That was some hard screen that RG set on Mosely #3. I think that was the key to JWF getting a good look for the game tying 3 pointer.
You're right, Shadow.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
ProudofPride wrote:We made ESPN again!
https://twitter.com/HofstraPride/status ... 0322324480
Awesome job by our incredibly dedicated Office of Athletic Communications staff to help make that happen. Incredible publicity.

Really good stuff that makes great PR FOR RECRUITING!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

ProudofPride wrote:i "heard a little birdie" say that Lamar Odom was at the game tonight. Can anyone confirm that?
Looks like the dance team confirmed this. Now the question is why.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdnvj0NlhEI ... adanceteam