Game 14 vs Northeastern

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Re: Game 14 vs Northeastern

Post by HUSID74 »

Great adjustment by Joe switching to the zone....slowed down their offense big time and allowed us to get back into the game...and take the lead...one point, our late half offense/ball handling is atrocious. Once again we turn it over with the last shot in the half...NE almost made a layup at the buzzer.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra leads 41-40. Ray and Gustys have 1 assist each and nobody else on Hofstra has any. I wonder what odds you got have gotten betting that Hofstra would score at least 41 in the first half without an assist from their top four players in assists. Hofstra has 8.5 times as many rebounds as assists, 17 to 2, while Northeastern has more assists than rebounds, 11 to 10. Northeastern could have taken the lead, but the player dribbled close to the hoop and didn't shoot before the buzzer. He could have attempted an open jumper.

Edit: In each half, Hofstra had 3 turnovers and called timeout before scoring. Northeastern scored 6 points by the basket including a dunk to go up 46-41.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

JWF is insane
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

With 7:24 left, Hofstra has their largest lead of the game at 58-55. Gustys has a double-double with 11 points and 13 rebounds. The next three highest rebounders on either team have 13 rebounds.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Nice win - liked a lot of things I saw tonight.
Ray and Radovic play more minutes the Buie, Wormley, Angus and Sabaty - wonder if guys were hurt/injured?
Key guys - JFW, Pemberton and Gustys - had great nights.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Interesting stat, Wormley 3 minutes, Angus 6 minutes, Buie 9 minutes and Sabety 7 minutes. HU still does not look comfortable on the inbounds late in the 2nd half. For Cards, the attendance was listed as 692.
Last edited by The Shadow on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Northeastern goes 4/17 from 3 in the second half and after going 8/17 from there in the first half.

I didn't see the game (I'm at MSG), but if that was due to guarding the perimeter better rather than NU missing open looks, that's how you win.

Huskies made all of their FTs, but only took 8, with HU being whistled for just 13 fouls, so I'm guessing from that, the D was a lot better. The second-half shooting from 3 for NU and severely limiting the Huskies' trips to the line, held NU to 70 points. And when you do that, surprise... 71 is enough to win... unlike putting up 87 and losing by three to W&M because you allow the Tribe to do what it wants offensively with little resistance.

Hopefully a good lesson learned that will carry over for a while.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

See we are capable of playing D. kept the score in the 70s. I think thats what we need to do. Gustys looks more aggressive and dominated the boards. EP finally looked less tentative. Would like to see him take more shots. Yes JAM did a good job coaching this game. After slow start we were able to neutralize the NU 3 point shooters.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Very good win tonight. It's always a good game against Northeastern. Matthews Arena is a tough place to play, and HU has had done well there the past few seasons, we won last last year and if I'm remembering correctly, the year before that was a crazy game that went to 3 or 4 OTs that we won.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Northeastern missed a TON of WIDE OPEN threes in the second half, but demz da breaks. I am very happy with the win. Not going to let the defensive thing go yet, as I don't think we guarded the 3 well at all tonight.

Rok had his best game in a long time, phenomenal effort by him tonight. He even unveiled a 17 foot jumper.

JWF. I mean there isn't much left to say that hasn't been said about him. What a talent. He got to the rack with ease tonight. Loved watching him. He didn't have many assists, but when he had them, they were pretty, and important. Some great passes to Rok down low.

I also think Radovic quietly had a nice game tonight. He really brought it defensively, and had a nice 3, and a rebound with a put back bucket. With the 1 point victory tonight, the hustle really paid dividends with this team.

Kudos to Joe for getting Wormley out of the starting lineup.

Great win, take it game to game obviously. Have to build on this.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The over/under and betting line made a predicted score of Northeastern winning 78-72. Hofstra allowed 8 fewer points than that. Ray, who had the fourth most minutes on Hofstra, scored 4 on 2-9 shooting with no free throw attempts. Hofstra made 25 out of 44 two-pointers, which is .568. Going into the game, Hofstra was shooting two-pointers .506. Hofstra made 3 three-pointers, which is their fewest made in a win since a 69-61 win hosting Drexel on January 14, 2016. In 2012-2013, Hofstra's largest margin of victory was in their game with their fewest three-pointers, 2. Fairleigh Dickinson shot three-pointers 4-26 in that 80-58 Hofstra win. Northeastern had 11 steals. Hofstra is now 2-0 when allowing double-digit steals, including winning when Rider had 15 steals. Hofstra also allowed double-digit steals when they beat Florida State in 2015.

Rare Events (but I don't know how rare):

1. Northeastern's leading rebounder, Bolden Brace, did not attempt a two-pointer.
2. Every Northeastern player who attempt a free throw made and attempted 2.

Hofstra is 89th in the RPI. The CAA is 13th and got closer to the Summit League in 12th so far tonight.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Ok all you doubters, we won this game by making defensive adjustments, going to the zone, playing ten guys,Our freshmen played well, and shooting poorly from the three point line...and we actually beat a coach and program that some of you have said is superior to ours...for the fifth time in a row...the CAA is wide open this year and if we can take care of business and continue to develop our young kids we can make some noise in March.
Last edited by HUSID74 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I only saw the end of the first half and the entire second half. I didn’t see KW or HS in this game? When I finally saw DB in the game he turned the ball over twice. JWF WAS SCORING FROM all over the place except from beyond the arc. I haven’t seen the box score but I didn’t see JR score although he took quite a few shots. When u win you always seem to have positive things to comment on so with RG getting a double double and EP getting into double figures and JWF doing his thing without help from beyond the arc a good game for us! We should be 2-0 but instead 1-1. Kudos to MR who had a steal and a couple of good rebounds!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Gustys tied Jamelle Hagins for fourth in CAA history in rebounds and tied for the most in the CAA in the 2000s. He's 8 rebounds behind Odell Hodge, who is third in CAA history, and 10 points away from 1,000.

Auburn winning as a 5 point underdog at ranked Tennessee helped our SOS.

Edit: Gustys's 4 free throw attempts resulted in 6 points, 3 for him and a three-pointer by Pemberton after Radovic's offensive rebound of Gustys's miss.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

HUSID74 wrote:Great adjustment by Joe switching to the zone....slowed down their offense big time and allowed us to get back into the game...and take the lead...one point, our late half offense/ball handling is atrocious. Once again we turn it over with the last shot in the half...NE almost made a layup at the buzzer.
By my estimation, we have three players who could/should be 1st team caa, including a potential POY. (RG, EP and JWF) Mihalich's job is to get them in a position to win games for us.

We also have several very good players who need to be developed- Buie, Rad and Ray. They should be dependable players come playoff time.

We also have a handful of decent roll players - Sabety, Trueheart, Angus, and even Wormley.

This is our year. It's on coach to get it done. The pieces are in place.
Wags

Post by Wags »

This win came on the 18th anniversary of The Mack (then Hofstra Arena) hosting its first event, a men's hoops win on Jan. 2, 2000 over another Boston team -- 74-46, over Boston University. Two nights later, the second event at Hofstra Arena, against the school Hofstra played tonight... an 84-45 crushing of Northeastern.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

In the last 26:15, the largest lead was 5.

Northeastern had only 4 offensive rebounds, which was the fewest by a Hofstra opponent since William & Mary had 3 offensive rebounds in their 80-78 win at Hofstra on February 22, 2015 in a game I went to. That was 85 games ago.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

joeg1 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Great adjustment by Joe switching to the zone....slowed down their offense big time and allowed us to get back into the game...and take the lead...one point, our late half offense/ball handling is atrocious. Once again we turn it over with the last shot in the half...NE almost made a layup at the buzzer.
By my estimation, we have three players who could/should be 1st team caa, including a potential POY. (RG, EP and JWF) Mihalich's job is to get them in a position to win games for us.

We also have several very good players who need to be developed- Buie, Rad and Ray. They should be dependable players come playoff time.

We also have a handful of decent roll players - Sabety, Trueheart, Angus, and even Wormley.

This is our year. It's on coach to get it done. The pieces are in place.
Don't sell Truehart short...very athletic...can jump quickly, block shots and has a nice touch...he's more akin to the kind of athletes we need to get more of...tall athletic forwards who can run the floor score inside/outside and help protect the rim.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Trueheart does have a problem with fouling he has been in foul trouble a few game and seems to pick up quick fouls I️ think part of the problem isis veryGgessiveon defense. He can shoot foul shots well though. Have no problem seeing him late in games when we have a lead
Cards

Post by Cards »

Of course we all know that there are lots of reasons why in a close game the result can be a W or a L. A turnover, a made 3, or a missed 3, etc. This game really could have gone either way. In general though, I would have to say that HU played with more hustle and effort than they did in some of their past games. Other than the core 3 guys, I like that JM was liberally subbing the rest of the guys. I do think it keeps us fresh and I do think it matters in being able to keep up the intensity on defense. All good things to see.

Looks like use of ST and MR will continue and JA will be limited to about 15 minutes per game. I think that is the correct way to go.

Although JR has shot poorly so far this year, I think the more time we can get this athletic freshman, the better he will get. He is obviously very quick and talented and I'm sure will be a major force in the future. I like the subbing and mixing of DB, KW, and JR. I think that is the correct way to go.

Looks like the rotations are taking shape. JWF and EP play 35+ per game. RG plays ~30 per game. Hope Rok keeps up the intensity we saw last night. Also, I recall that he took a short jumper in the Villanova game. I think the jumper he made last night is going to become a regular thing - that is, one or two jumpers per game to keep the other guys honest. I'm OK with that (especially since he is 2 for 2 :lol: ) All the others split time and we simply go with who is hot and playing hard.