Game 14 vs Northeastern

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Game 14 vs Northeastern

Post by HUSID74 »

ESPN has us as 4.5 point underdogs to the home team.
Polito

Re: Game 14 vs Northeastern

Post by Polito »

Quality program and coach, always a battle.

Fully prepared for another brutal, very frustrating game.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Polito letnot get ahead of ourselves yet. I️ expect this team to come out on fire. If I️ am a player I️ am pissed at the results of the last game. JAM should have them going on all cylinders
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I believe we have won four in a row against this "Quality coach and program." So what does that say about us???????? Just asking......
garyg

Post by garyg »

stuball888 wrote:Polito letnot get ahead of ourselves yet. I️ expect this team to come out on fire. If I️ am a player I️ am pissed at the results of the last game. JAM should have them going on all cylinders

The key word is SHOULD but whether he will is another matter
Cards

Post by Cards »

i think most of the above posts reflect our collective thinking. That is, we don't know for sure how we will come out once the clock starts ticking.

Take note of the NU transfer that sat out last year. Euro kid that first played at San Diego State. Kid had something like 30 pts in a game last week. 6'5' guard - you don't score 30 without having some skills!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Cards wrote:i think most of the above posts reflect our collective thinking. That is, we don't know for sure how we will come out once the clock starts ticking.

Take note of the NU transfer that sat out last year. Euro kid that first played at San Diego State. Kid had something like 30 pts in a game last week. 6'5' guard - you don't score 30 without having some skills!
Northeastern ALWAYS finds good players...take a look at their roster...they have kids from all over the country as well as international kids...always tough games against these guys.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Cards wrote: Take note of the NU transfer that sat out last year. Euro kid that first played at San Diego State. Kid had something like 30 pts in a game last week. 6'5' guard - you don't score 30 without having some skills!
Vasa Pusica came from San Diego, not San Diego State.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Gustys from half-court:
https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/9 ... 5274505216

Rather he perfect his FT like this, but cool nonetheless.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Probably has a higher percentage from halfcourt than the ft line.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Funny you should bring up RG and his shooting woes. At the Villanova game warmups, my daughter and I were watching Rok at the FT line. After hitting most shots, we starting counting. He hit his next 9 of 10 and then stopped. Put him in a game however, and it 50% at best. Funny how he also seems to miss a couple of chippies during every game. i think it boils down to this - Rok is a natural rebounder and not a natural scorer. Whatever offensive ability you want to give him credit for, he has had to learn it and I don't think he has ever (in his own mind) become comfortable doing it. He simply is nervous and cant relax when he has the ball. Even carries over into him missing some feeds and passes underneath and in the PNR situation. Seeing a pass coming in, I think he tenses up.

I have not been to a team practice in a couple of years, but it would be very interesting to see what kind of offensive player he is at practice. My guess would be that there is a noticeable difference.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID74 wrote:I believe we have won four in a row against this "Quality coach and program." So what does that say about us???????? Just asking......
we got their number - if we could play all of our games like we play vs NE (the last 4) we'd be....just saying
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

With Rokus and foul shooting. It’s a totally different animal from practice to game conditions. Fatigue is a key factor in foul shooting for a big man. It’s why Rick Barry shot it underhanded He said with big men if they don’t properly bend their knees and follow through the shot goes up Hard and with little arc. He most know what he is talking about. Wasn’t he a 90
Percent foul shooter?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://gohofstra.com/news/2017/12/31/me ... ath=mbball is Hofstra's preview.

http://gohofstra.com/documents/2017/12/ ... game14.pdf is Hofstra's Game Notes.

http://gonu.com/news/2018/1/1/mens-bask ... ath=mbball is Northeastern's preview.

http://gonu.com/documents/2018/1/1//Gam ... df?id=4785 is Northeastern's Game Notes.

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2018 ... stern.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky."

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcas ... slive=hofs will have statistics.

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/nort ... Type=video will have video.
stuball888 wrote: With Rokus and foul shooting. It’s a totally different animal from practice to game conditions. Fatigue is a key factor in foul shooting for a big man. It’s why Rick Barry shot it underhanded He said with big men if they don’t properly bend their knees and follow through the shot goes up Hard and with little arc. He most know what he is talking about. Wasn’t he a 90
Percent foul shooter?
1. If fatigue made Gustys shoot free throws worse, wouldn't he shoot free throws worse in second halves? That hasn't happened. Gustys has shot free throws 8-20 (.400) in first halves and 14/30 (.467) in second halves.

2. Barry's career free throw percentage was .893, and it goes up to .900 if you include the NBA but not the ABA.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:With Rokus and foul shooting. It’s a totally different animal from practice to game conditions. Fatigue is a key factor in foul shooting for a big man. It’s why Rick Barry shot it underhanded He said with big men if they don’t properly bend their knees and follow through the shot goes up Hard and with little arc. He most know what he is talking about. Wasn’t he a 90
Percent foul shooter?
Fatigue has nothing to do with it...he's like a golfer who has the "yips" on his putts or chips. In practice they are fine but add the tension and adrenaline flowing in a game situation and Rokus, like some golfers, gets a momentary nervous "twitch" or "spasm" or similar nervous reaction which prevents him from executing the shot like he does in practice. Golfers have gone to psychologists and even psychiatrists to try and "cure" the yips.

Perhaps Rokus should try that route.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:Fatigue has nothing to do with it...he's like a golfer who has the "yips" on his putts or chips. In practice they are fine but add the tension and adrenaline flowing in a game situation and Rokus, like some golfers, gets a momentary nervous "twitch" or "spasm" or similar nervous reaction which prevents him from executing the shot like he does in practice. Golfers have gone to psychologists and even psychiatrists to try and "cure" the yips.
Being an avid golfer myself, that is the perfect analogy HUSID!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Buie getting the start instead of Wormley
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

ProudofPride wrote:Buie getting the start instead of Wormley
Must be on the strength of that inbounds pass! LOL
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Northeastern leads 8-2. Hofstra called timeout when they had no points and 3 turnovers. Radovic was our first bench player to enter.

Edit: Hofstra went down 2. Then Northeastern made three-pointers to go up 18-9. Hofstra has used nine players, but not Ray, who must be unavailable for doing poorly in practice.

Edit: Hofstra came back from down 23-11 to tie it at 30 and now trails 32-30 with JWF at the free throw line. He has scored 12, Gustys has 7, and Pemberton has 6. Ray came in.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Must be all of 250 people at the game!

Funny after talking about Roks shooting, he drains an 18 footer like its his typical shot :shock: :lol: He is actaully hustling and playing good defense - good to see.

JWF continues to amaze.

Generally the guys are hustling and for the last 12-13 minutes are playing decent defense. NU keeps working the ball to find the open guy.

Up by 1 a the half.