Game 14 vs Northeastern

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
joeg1

Re: Game 14 vs Northeastern

Post by joeg1 »

Cards wrote: Looks like the rotations are taking shape. JWF and EP play 35+ per game. RG plays ~30 per game. Hope Rok keeps up the intensity we saw last night. Also, I recall that he took a short jumper in the Villanova game. I think the jumper he made last night is going to become a regular thing - that is, one or two jumpers per game to keep the other guys honest. I'm OK with that (especially since he is 2 for 2 :lol: ) All the others split time and we simply go with who is hot and playing hard.
Exactly. Our big 3 are three of the best in the league, imo. If we play well, we have the talent to win now.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Like I've said, take any win and run. Cohen is a good coach and NU a solid program, and they do so with much more stringent academic requirements than HU. Always a good win when it's them. Pretty safe to say JM has their number. 5 straight deserves some kudos.

However, they've done something our guys haven't, and that is win the CAAT and go dancing. I'd GLADLY trade a meaningless record of 5 straight wins to have at least one NCAAT appearance. So yeah, HU has won some battles, but they've still won the war.

As usual an excruciating game they pull by the skin of their teeth. I'm not complaining about any win, but this is about the winning the CAAT and the dance:

1) This game continues to highlight the extreme inconsistency of this team. I'm not about to get fooled by a 1 point win. This team is so hot and cold, every game is literally 50-50, never know what we are going to see, who's going to show up, what effort will be given, etc. - a champion that does not make.
2) No one seems to be discussing the fact that HU is constantly down in every game and having to come back from behind - WHY??? Why is HU always having to erase large deficits? I appreciate the in-game adjustments made against NU, but why in the world was HU down 13 for goodness sake? It's like this EVERY single game. Do they not have adequate scouting or game plans/prep to start? Playing every game on thin ice and needing near miracles is not going to do the job.

^---> The above two points are exactly why this program/team has not and will not win 3 games in 3 days. It will always be close, but no cigar. If you can't ever put together a full 40, always have to rely on furious comebacks, and play every game within 3 points, you will end up on the losing end of one of those games. It's hoops Russian roulette, and it's just a matter of time before you blow yourself up.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID74 wrote:
joeg1 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Great adjustment by Joe switching to the zone....slowed down their offense big time and allowed us to get back into the game...and take the lead...one point, our late half offense/ball handling is atrocious. Once again we turn it over with the last shot in the half...NE almost made a layup at the buzzer.
By my estimation, we have three players who could/should be 1st team caa, including a potential POY. (RG, EP and JWF) Mihalich's job is to get them in a position to win games for us.

We also have several very good players who need to be developed- Buie, Rad and Ray. They should be dependable players come playoff time.

We also have a handful of decent roll players - Sabety, Trueheart, Angus, and even Wormley.

This is our year. It's on coach to get it done. The pieces are in place.
Don't sell Truehart short...very athletic...can jump quickly, block shots and has a nice touch...he's more akin to the kind of athletes we need to get more of...tall athletic forwards who can run the floor score inside/outside and help protect the rim.
I agree - more athletic then most of our other bigs - never seems to take a bad shot
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Glad they won, I'll take any conference win on the road, so the team should be happy. But they were lucky to win last night. Hate to say it, but its the truth. NE missed a TON of open shots. If they just hit 1 or 2 of those, they win. And while our opponents almost always work the ball until they get an open shot, we almost always have our shots contested. And somehow we still win games. Because of our talent and because of our talent alone.

And did anyone else besides me think there would be no way we would successfully inbound the ball 4 times in a row at the end? NE only had 3 team fouls, and of course we turned it over. Luckily they missed yet another open shot whereas W&M made there last 2.

It's very frustrating because we definitely have a roster that has what it takes to win this league right now. I know its year 5 for JAM, but hopefully what we are seeing is just a work in progress that will improve by the end of Feb.. Fingers crossed.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

FYI really a 4 point win....the last second heave by NE was really meaningless
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

HUSID74 wrote:FYI really a 4 point win....the last second heave by NE was really meaningless
I wasn't watching the video, but I saw us up 4 with seconds to go...I assume we basically walked off the court and let them shoot without any chance of committing a mindless foul?
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

joeg1 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:FYI really a 4 point win....the last second heave by NE was really meaningless
I wasn't watching the video, but I saw us up 4 with seconds to go...I assume we basically walked off the court and let them shoot without any chance of committing a mindless foul?
Pretty much so.
garyg

Post by garyg »

On a different note has anyone heard anything about Schutte and how he has looked in practice??
Cards

Post by Cards »

garyg wrote:On a different note has anyone heard anything about Schutte and how he has looked in practice??
I have been wondering the same thing garyg. i have watched him during the warmups the past two home games. nothing but straight dunks and simple layups. Have never seen any kind of short jumper, post move, or anything else. If he is one of our main options at the 5 next year, I would assume its going to be a defensive/rebounding position with almost no offense.

Now, if we can land any of the euro guys listed on verbal commits, then we might see some offense at the 5.
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/antun-maricevic
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/maros-zeliznak
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/gi ... hanishvili
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Nice W - I'm sure we all feel better watching a W than an L - put's a little spring in your step :D . Although the D was improved as a number of you have reported NU missed a lot of wide open 3's. As the once great Doc Rivers said - "It's a make/miss league". Not great that JWF and EP have to play 40 mins - they are going to wear down or get injured at that rate. They are still sloppy with their passing and screen/roll defense leaves much to be desired/worked on. But a W is a W (essentially a 1 pt win as we won the "foul game" in last 30 secs) - none are going to come easily in this league - there are no "dogs" Can win both our home games over the weekend but they won't be easy.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Congrats to the team on their first CAA road win of the season.

I hope our secondary scorers continue to support JWF. Otherwise, this team will be like the Charles Jenkins teams — led by a POY who doesn’t get to taste the postseason.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Cards wrote:
garyg wrote:On a different note has anyone heard anything about Schutte and how he has looked in practice??
I have been wondering the same thing garyg. i have watched him during the warmups the past two home games. nothing but straight dunks and simple layups. Have never seen any kind of short jumper, post move, or anything else. If he is one of our main options at the 5 next year, I would assume its going to be a defensive/rebounding position with almost no offense.

Now, if we can land any of the euro guys listed on verbal commits, then we might see some offense at the 5.
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/antun-maricevic
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/maros-zeliznak
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/gi ... hanishvili
Let's not forget about kid from LI Lutheran
Cards

Post by Cards »

garyg wrote:Let's not forget about kid from LI Lutheran
I assumed we were only talking about bigs. I would say that the Kupsas kid from Lutheran is more of a 4. He's a 6'8" forward with 3 pt range. He is sized more like a Denton Koons.

I think the other three guys are more "in the paint" type guys.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I understand he is a real work in progress and will be red-shirted this year much like Truehart last year...on the upside he is real BIG and you can't teach that, on the downside he is real RAW and has not demonstrated much more than what you have noticed; lay ups and dunks...
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

He doesn’t seem very athletic As of now he is probably a bench player getting maybe 10 min a game on a good nite
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Jojogunne wrote: Congrats to the team on their first CAA road win of the season.

I hope our secondary scorers continue to support JWF. Otherwise, this team will be like the Charles Jenkins teams — led by a POY who doesn’t get to taste the postseason.
It's not as good as the NCAA or NIT, but Jenkins got to the CBI in his last two seasons.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

CBI=can basically ignore HU had some very poor performances in the CBI games. The Mack Arena does not have banners for the CBI games.