Leading Scorers in Div 1

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Leading Scorers in Div 1

Post by triplec2195 »

I thought I would start a positive new topic to begin the New Year. I just noticed that our very own JWF IS currently the fourth leading scorer in the country. How about that everyone? There’s always a Siver Lining even when the glass looks half empty! So let’s reflect on this good news before we start going wild with HU vs NE postings!!
Polito

Re: Leading Scorers in Div 1

Post by Polito »

Kid is a baller, no doubt about that. He had some plays against Nova that left the crowd stunned, on both sides. Highlight reel quality player.

So happy for him, and excited to watch his continued ascension. Grateful he chose to suit up for HU!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I’ll say it for the umteenth time they made a mistake not playing him more in his freshman year and maybe for a third of the season last year. What were they thinking??
Cards

Post by Cards »

JWF will still be playing ball somewhere after his HU days are over. Absolutely FUN to watch him play!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

He's a great scorer, but if you take the field goal percentages of the top four scorers each season for the last ten seasons including this one, his field goal percentage is 38th out of 40. If a player was in the top four in scoring in multiple seasons, he counts multiple times. Three-pointers hurt your field goal percentage, and he attempts a lot of them, but he has the worst field goal percentage of the top ten scorers, and six of the other nine have had a higher percentage of their attempts be three-pointers.

I wonder how rare it is for teammates to reach 1,000 points in the same game. He has 938 points and Gustys has 975. Maybe on Sunday they will both reach 1,000.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:He's a great scorer, but if you take the field goal percentages of the top four scorers each season for the last ten seasons including this one, his field goal percentage is 38th out of 40. If a player was in the top four in scoring in multiple seasons, he counts multiple times. Three-pointers hurt your field goal percentage, and he attempts a lot of them, but he has the worst field goal percentage of the top ten scorers, and six of the other nine have had a higher percentage of their attempts be three-pointers.

I wonder how rare it is for teammates to reach 1,000 points in the same game. He has 938 points and Gustys has 975. Maybe on Sunday they will both reach 1,000.
Somehow I thought u would put a negative spin on this Evan but u know as well as I that statistics can be misleading. If u compare apples to apples OK! JWF has to shoot his butt off on this team because realistically I don’t think they would win one game without him. He takes difficult shots and makes them but of course not at the percentages that maybe other players do. If he had open looks that players like Bernardi got his percentages would be higher. He creates his own shots and is not really a catch and shoot only kind of player. So I think before u analyze strictly stats u need to analyze players the teams they were on and in general put things under a microscope. In reality every team that is playing HU has one objective and that’s to stop JWF the no 1 enemy. He is not a well kept secret anymore!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Unfortunately there's no way to quantify how much your statistics are affected by the defense guarding you the most. Pemberton and Gustys can shoot well, so it's not like Hofstra doesn't have other scorers. He shot well tonight. His three-point field goal percentage is .313, and considering half of Hofstra's games were decided by 3 or fewer points, improving that to .350 could mean a couple of more wins. He still has work to do to get my vote for CAA Player of the Year. In 2006-2007, Gary Neal did not win Player of the Year (Stokes did) while having better statistics in all of these categories than JWF has now:

Points per game
Rebounds per game
Assists per game
Assists/turnovers
Steals per game
Field goal percentage
Three-point field goal percentage
Free throw percentage
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Realistically the only other scorer Hofstra has is EP and his numbers have been on the decline. RG is clearly not a scorer and and has missed his share of chippies in close Evan. He has no mid range game and is awful but improving at the foul line. If u get him uncontested layups yes he could score 15-20 points. He’s a rebounding machine but not a scorer. As for Loren Stokes yes he was a very good ball player but played on a more well rounded team with Agudio, I believe Jason Hernandez. I haven’t looked this up just speaking from memory. Honestly I don’t remember Gary Neal. Who do u think will be in the running for MVP? COC Joe Chealey, Devonte Cacock? Who’s the major competition??
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

triple it wasnt jason hernandez he played with Speedy you mean carlos Rivera.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Gary Neal transferred to Towson in 2005-2006 and was there for part of that season and all of 2006-2007. His 34 points in a 94-91 win over Hofstra was Hofstra's only bad loss in 2005-2006 when they got snubbed by the Selection Committee. In 49 games for Towson, he averaged 25.6 points. He averaged 9.9 points in 352 NBA games including 204 games with a great San Antonio team. Off the top of my head, the only players who in the CAA at the same time or after Neal and have more NBA games than him are J.J. Barea and Kent Bazemore. You're right about Stokes being on a well-rounded team. I don't have a way of looking this up, but if you look at what players scored at least 10 more points than their highest teammate in the highest percentage of their games, Neal could be among the leaders, whereas Stokes and Agudio would not.

Chealey doesn't shoot well enough to get my vote for POY. Milon and Burchfield are great shooters who don't get many rebounds or assists. I'd consider Cacok, Knight, and Seibring.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:triple it wasnt jason hernandez he played with Speedy you mean carlos Rivera.
Thanks Stu too many dead brain cells from all the wine consumed over the years!! Lol
Polito

Post by Polito »

Neal was a talent, fun to watch.

Absolutely loved Stokes. Not to toot my own horn, but you guys know I love the recruiting/talent scouting aspect, and I remember touting his praises when he was tearing it up in prep school at St. Thomas More - knew he was going to be a stud.

Had very similar excitement following Agudio at Walt Whitman. Could not wait for him to get to HU to start dropping buckets, which he did in stellar fashion.

HU has had a very strong history of stud guard play. JWF is continuing that lineage extremely well.

HU's challenge is to find a way to stop completely wasting their talents by not having complete teams and going nowhere.