Game 13 - at William & Mary

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby stuball888 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:05 pm

losing to Butler on the road is one thing losing like we did tonite is deflating
stuball888
 
Posts: 1982
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:21 am

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby triplec2195 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:21 pm

It’s pretty obvious in this game that I missed some of and watched the rest on an I pad that inspite of ourselves we still win this game with a decent inbounds pass. Really no excuse for this but another mediocre game from DB. I don’t care about shooting low percentages from beyond the arc because for me the inbounds pass is what cost us the game. There’s no way we lose this game. Choke is a good word but if u want to look beyond the inbounds pass what about putting someone who could defend against Nathan in the game. RG clearly couldn’t. HS was doing a better job. Why wasn’t ST getting more minutes in this game? He’s quicker then both RG and HS and is a leaper.
triplec2195
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:08 am

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby HUclassof19 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:40 pm

ProudofPride wrote:At halftime, W&M’s new AD announced that starting next year they will be offering COA for men’s and women’s basketball. Yet another conference school that we’re falling behind.


im friends with guys on the team. we are offering it.
HUclassof19
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby Wags » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:58 pm

First, how many times is Hofstra going to lose to W&M on a 3 in the final seconds? It's ridiculous already!

Second, this game is exactly what I was talking about when Hofstra was beating Monmouth, Rider and Stony Brook scoring over 80 but also giving up over 80. I said then, that will catch up to them in CAA play. Sure enough, it did today. 87 points should be plenty to win a CAA game, even on the road. But when you don't care about defense, this is your result. 0-1 in the conference. How many more like that until they realize they have to play SOME defense to make some noise in the league this year. Can't only care about one side of the floor. 53% for W&M from 3 and overall.
Wags
 
Posts: 898
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby joeg1 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:31 pm

Wags wrote:First, how many times is Hofstra going to lose to W&M on a 3 in the final seconds? It's ridiculous already!

Second, this game is exactly what I was talking about when Hofstra was beating Monmouth, Rider and Stony Brook scoring over 80 but also giving up over 80. I said then, that will catch up to them in CAA play. Sure enough, it did today. 87 points should be plenty to win a CAA game, even on the road. But when you don't care about defense, this is your result. 0-1 in the conference. How many more like that until they realize they have to play SOME defense to make some noise in the league this year. Can't only care about one side of the floor. 53% for W&M from 3 and overall.
Last edited by joeg1 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joeg1
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby Hofstra » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:15 am

HUSID74 wrote:Ok guys we were not favored in this game...we were down 13 and came back to have the lead with what 30 seconds left?

Very disappointing end to this one with that HORRIBLE in bounds pass....otherwise we win what is a tough road game.. And get ready for another tough one Tuesday at Northeastern...we could be 7-7 before we Wright the ship....and speaking of Villanova...they lost on the road at Butler...


I know you are knowledge and have Hofstra in your heart, but every season we are a few wins away from this and a few wins away from that.. Not saying that it's you who always says it, but Hofstra always underperforms. Always.

Something has to give one year. Blew tonights game, and countless others. What gives with this team late in games? Has to fall on the coaches at some point. No maturation process it seems. Wormley throwing the ball backcourt, the Rok T, the Buie inbounds. We have to correct this somehow. Cant have the players playing reckless down the stretch of games.
Hofstra
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:58 pm

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby Polito » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:06 am

My oh my... ok let me try:

Nothing to see here, it was clearly due to a different venue - guys were probably all messed up seeing some green in the stands. This is an automatic W at home!

Don't fret, it's only the OOC...er, I mean, first conf game, there's PLENTY of time to correct.

These game don't really matter anyway, it's all about those 3 games in March - all they gotta do is just win those! Easy-peasy.

The players and staff are still learning, will all pay off in the end. What's that you say? Staff in their 5th yr, the key players are Jrs and Srs, and we're 13 games into the season? Humbug! Pay it no mind.

WM is no joke, could easily win the conf - should've been the front runner. HU wasn't favored so this is no biggie. The program who has NEVER ONCE been to the dance doesn't rebuild, they reload! Huge props for HU to be right there with them!

Bounce here or there and this is a big time W and everyone is singing Joes praises! Will get 'em next time!



Ok, how's that? Am I doing it right?


(joeg, did we just become best friends?!?!?)
Polito
 
Posts: 1856
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:42 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby triplec2195 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:16 am

I’m not going to take exception to anything that has been said but just COMMENT on what’s obvious here. Lots of talk about our inept defense and there 3 point shooting. They have shot well all year from beyond the Arc. Also remember W&M defense was just as bad as ours and for me the 3’s at the end of the game become a moot issue if we cleanly inbound the ball. They foul if we inbound the ball to someone playing for HU. We have FT shooters on the floor and it becomes a 2 possession game after we hit at least 1 of 2. The clock becomes their biggest enemy. Not to be redundant but it’s all on the inbounds pass. I don’t know if we had any timeouts left but that’s another factor!
triplec2195
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:08 am

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby stuball888 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:59 am

triple its about the future CAA games. No adjustments by the coaching staff. Are you OK giving up 80 plus points even 90 a game in conference play. Im not. If you score 87 in a CAA you SHOULD WIN. Are we going to expect JWF to score 35 plus points a game in order for us to win. Thats a lot to ask. Like others said there are so many wrong things with this team that I am skeptical of our success not only in conference play but also in tournament play. Going forward I want to see this team perform like we all know and hope they can. We have seen the good (Rider, Monmouth) and we have seen the bad. With 4 starters that are JRs and Srs this is not a young team. We are in conference play and no more excuses about the team needing time to jell. The time is now.
stuball888
 
Posts: 1982
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:21 am

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby triplec2195 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:01 pm

stuball888 wrote:triple its about the future CAA games. No adjustments by the coaching staff. Are you OK giving up 80 plus points even 90 a game in conference play. Im not. If you score 87 in a CAA you SHOULD WIN. Are we going to expect JWF to score 35 plus points a game in order for us to win. Thats a lot to ask. Like others said there are so many wrong things with this team that I am skeptical of our success not only in conference play but also in tournament play. Going forward I want to see this team perform like we all know and hope they can. We have seen the good (Rider, Monmouth) and we have seen the bad. With 4 starters that are JRs and Srs this is not a young team. We are in conference play and no more excuses about the team needing time to jell. The time is now.


I’m disgusted as much as anyone re losing this game because this game was in the win column. I watched a team come back time and time again to cut the lead and finally taking and holding the lead until the 29 second to go mark. We didn’t stop Knight they couldn’t stop JWF. Again we had the lead and maintained it we were in the drivers seat. After seeing the scores in league play and watching the COC beat Towson who had only lost a couple of games it starts to become evident that there’s a lot of parity in this league. I believe nobody is going to run away with the title in this league and Hofstra is in the mix. Everyone knows that defense still is our Achilles heal but I believe we’ll survive and do well in spite of this loss. I think calling for the replacement ofJM is crazy but there’s a guy named Claxton close by!
triplec2195
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:08 am

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby Wags » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:26 pm

joeg1 wrote:
Wags wrote:First, how many times is Hofstra going to lose to W&M on a 3 in the final seconds? It's ridiculous already!

Second, this game is exactly what I was talking about when Hofstra was beating Monmouth, Rider and Stony Brook scoring over 80 but also giving up over 80. I said then, that will catch up to them in CAA play. Sure enough, it did today. 87 points should be plenty to win a CAA game, even on the road. But when you don't care about defense, this is your result. 0-1 in the conference. How many more like that until they realize they have to play SOME defense to make some noise in the league this year. Can't only care about one side of the floor. 53% for W&M from 3 and overall.
Joe must go. Bad game coach. We have (and have had) the talent to be so much more. No coach in our league gets less out of his team than him. Wake up= he is not a championship level coach.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm not saying that. He was on the brink of a title in Baltimore, in OT with UNCW. And one of the many times W&M did (in Baltimore) to HU what it did yet again yesterday in the final seconds was another time he might have gone on to a CAA title.

But yeah, 87's enough to win. More than enough. MUST start caring about DEFENSE or it doesn't change.

There are two choices, and the difference is very clear: you can either keep making excuses about this play or that play as to why you barely lost another close one, or you can actually play enough defense to hold your opponent to a low enough number that your offense wins the game for you and you don't need the excuses. Just me, but I'd rather play defense than to keep making excuses.
Wags
 
Posts: 898
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby HofstraMathew » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:29 pm

The question is do we have the players to play a solid defense? I tend to think the answer is yes. So it needs to be on coach now to run a defense that can work. At the end of the day we don't need to hold a team to 60; we can win games holding a team to in the 70's.
HofstraMathew
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:27 pm

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby HUSID74 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:43 pm

Ok guys we blew a game that we should have won....and I agree, all we need to do was get the damned ball in bounds with 30 seconds left. The CAA is going to be real tight this year and WM will be in the hunt as will we....we do have some real limitations as a team in my opinion....first we have no real shot blocker in the paint....that WM kid killed us but against them you pick your poison...we ADJUSTED (got that Stu) in the second half and took away their 3 point game until the end when our defenders LOST their man.

Remember, we were down 13 in this game, came back and had the lead BECAUSE we adjusted and TOOK AWAY the three pointer

IMO This was a toss up game that could have gone either way and it did...and don't be surprised if we go 0-2 before we get our first CAA win....opening on the road on a holiday weekend is just BRUTAL...esp against two good teams.
HUSID74
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:46 am

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby Cards » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:53 pm

Well i don't think anyone is doubting the inconsistent play of this team. i don't think anyone doubts the lack of emphasis or approach to play defense. No doubt the MBB program has come back from the abyss. No doubt that we have always had talent. No doubt having a guy like Speedy has helped recruit top guards and nurture them along. The only thing left to doubt is JMs ability to take this team to the next level. I just don't think he's the guy. He's a good guy, did well at Niagara, did well getting us back to being an "OK" program, but at some time, we need to look at the results. He has not raised our level to being anything more than an "OK" mid major. That is a fact. RG has regressed under JM. So far this year, I see DB has regressed. And based on what I have seen so far this year, EP may be regressing. JM said that last offseason we needed a high level 4. JA and MR are OK, but JA is not an athlete (maybe due to injury) and MR is a true freshman - These are the guys JM got for our highly regarded fix at the 4 spot! JM said last offseason we really needed a PG and we got KW, who is not a point! JM said he knew that we drastically needed to improve our defense. Well???????

Guys - we can only go by what we see. The results are not there. We see it, other programs apparently see it, and our miniscule fan base sees it. Based on the last few years OOC schedule (albeit too many away games) against better and better competition, it seems that the university is backing the team. So what is missing? Why are we now, 5 years in, playing like an inconsistent "OK" team. I think it may be time for letting someone else to try and get the most out of the talent that we have and put on the floor a team that can play at both ends of the court.

I have and will continue to root for this team at every game. I am not happy that my opinion has come to this. In the end, results matter.
Cards
 
Posts: 795
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:46 pm

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby HUSID74 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:22 pm

Cards wrote:Well i don't think anyone is doubting the inconsistent play of this team. i don't think anyone doubts the lack of emphasis or approach to play defense. No doubt the MBB program has come back from the abyss. No doubt that we have always had talent. No doubt having a guy like Speedy has helped recruit top guards and nurture them along. The only thing left to doubt is JMs ability to take this team to the next level. I just don't think he's the guy. He's a good guy, did well at Niagara, did well getting us back to being an "OK" program, but at some time, we need to look at the results. He has not raised our level to being anything more than an "OK" mid major. That is a fact. RG has regressed under JM. So far this year, I see DB has regressed. And based on what I have seen so far this year, EP may be regressing. JM said that last offseason we needed a high level 4. JA and MR are OK, but JA is not an athlete (maybe due to injury) and MR is a true freshman - These are the guys JM got for our highly regarded fix at the 4 spot! JM said last offseason we really needed a PG and we got KW, who is not a point! JM said he knew that we drastically needed to improve our defense. Well???????

Guys - we can only go by what we see. The results are not there. We see it, other programs apparently see it, and our miniscule fan base sees it. Based on the last few years OOC schedule (albeit too many away games) against better and better competition, it seems that the university is backing the team. So what is missing? Why are we now, 5 years in, playing like an inconsistent "OK" team. I think it may be time for letting someone else to try and get the most out of the talent that we have and put on the floor a team that can play at both ends of the court.

I have and will continue to root for this team at every game. I am not happy that my opinion has come to this. In the end, results matter.

Cards, let's let the season progress a bit before we write the epitaph.
HUSID74
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:46 am

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby stuball888 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:17 pm

HUSID with all due respect you said Hofstra took away the 3pt from W&M. . well 1st half they shot 4-8 for 50% in the second half they shot 4-7 for 57% where did we make the adjustment? The numbers dont lie.
stuball888
 
Posts: 1982
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:21 am

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby HUSID74 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:32 pm

Two threes until the end of the game in the second half.
HUSID74
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:46 am

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby stuball888 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:41 pm

They were4)-8 in the first half. And 2-5 in the second half till the end. But WAnd M are nit reliant on the trey like we are they only attempted 15 all game long and still scored 90 points on us
stuball888
 
Posts: 1982
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:21 am

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby krood » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:48 pm

HUSID74 wrote:
Cards wrote:Well i don't think anyone is doubting the inconsistent play of this team. i don't think anyone doubts the lack of emphasis or approach to play defense. No doubt the MBB program has come back from the abyss. No doubt that we have always had talent. No doubt having a guy like Speedy has helped recruit top guards and nurture them along. The only thing left to doubt is JMs ability to take this team to the next level. I just don't think he's the guy. He's a good guy, did well at Niagara, did well getting us back to being an "OK" program, but at some time, we need to look at the results. He has not raised our level to being anything more than an "OK" mid major. That is a fact. RG has regressed under JM. So far this year, I see DB has regressed. And based on what I have seen so far this year, EP may be regressing. JM said that last offseason we needed a high level 4. JA and MR are OK, but JA is not an athlete (maybe due to injury) and MR is a true freshman - These are the guys JM got for our highly regarded fix at the 4 spot! JM said last offseason we really needed a PG and we got KW, who is not a point! JM said he knew that we drastically needed to improve our defense. Well???????

Guys - we can only go by what we see. The results are not there. We see it, other programs apparently see it, and our miniscule fan base sees it. Based on the last few years OOC schedule (albeit too many away games) against better and better competition, it seems that the university is backing the team. So what is missing? Why are we now, 5 years in, playing like an inconsistent "OK" team. I think it may be time for letting someone else to try and get the most out of the talent that we have and put on the floor a team that can play at both ends of the court.



I have and will continue to root for this team at every game. I am not happy that my opinion has come to this. In the end, results matter.

Cards, let's let the season progress a bit before we write the epitaph.


First, Happy New Year to ALL!!
Returning to this blog after a long absence due to 'technical difficulties'.....

Been reading to catch up on the 'vibe' form the LOYAL fanbase, thanks for that!

First, I'm a believer in Coach JAM - he knows the game and gives our program CREDIBILITY. And, 60 wins in 3 yrs. with no home fan base is noteworthy!

As for player development, no NCAA player has improved as much as JWF in 3 yrs. The kid is putting up 'Rich Laurel' numbers!!!!!
And JAM has tapped as much as he can out of RG skills,.......

I look forward to watch Ray develop as he is 'potentially' a great shooter.......

My frustration this year has been our PG's - They try to do too much on offense; but are both athletic enough to pressure the ball on defense, run the offense and look for JWF/EP on the wings. Their leadership/maturity will be the key to this season.

Bigger frustration is our recruiting and I think a big problem is playing in the CAA. Hofstra is the outsider looking in with a tournament championship hidden in Charleston. Hard to recruit the NY Metro area playing in the CAA. Missing an oppty to exploit potential local rivalries (ie, SBU, IONA, Manhattan, Fordham). No NYC media exposure. JAM and Speedy could SELL that story......

Hofstra's new board trustee Randy Levine (NY Yankees) understands how to build a winner in New York, if he can convince our President to 'invest' in this program and moves us back into the NY Metro market.
krood
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:18 pm

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Postby Wags » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:31 pm

stuball888 wrote:They were4)-8 in the first half. And 2-5 in the second half till the end. But WAnd M are nit reliant on the trey like we are they only attempted 15 all game long and still scored 90 points on us

Exactly. Took away the 3, which W&M shot at a 54% clip... so they could shoot the exact same 54% clip from 2.

I mean, it's one less point, so great, but it's still the same efficiency. Hofstra doesn't stop anyone. Until they do, the losses and excuses will pile up.

Have to CARE about defense. Period.
Wags
 
Posts: 898
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:15 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Hofstra Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], triplec2195 and 3 guests