Game 13 - at William & Mary

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Game 13 - at William & Mary

Post by Wags »

Mihalich and JWF were commenting on how well Villanova shot against them, especially from 3 (16/34).

If they thought that, they better be ready for William & Mary, which at 46.9%, ranks second in the nation from behind the arc.
triplec2195

Re: Game 13 - at William & Mary

Post by triplec2195 »

This game should be a nice challenge for us coming out of the gate. They have 5 guys that score in double figures and we have 2. They also have two sophomores Pierce and Knight that rebound 16.5 rebounds collectively. To win this game we're going to have to play some defense for sure and guard the perimeter but need to find some scoring other then JWF and EP.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I know this is the W&M thread, but I just saw that UNCW is 1-9 with a 300+ rpi. WOW, have they fallen that far in 9 months?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Only 32.4% of UNCW's points from last season are from players they still have. That's more like what you'd expect from a team with players going to the NBA after one season. To put that into perspective, after Green, Tanksley, Koon, and Nichols graduated, Hofstra returned 38.9% of their points. When they went to the 2006 Final Four, George Mason's top three scorers were seniors, and they returned 45.5% of their points for 2006-2007.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:I know this is the W&M thread, but I just saw that UNCW is 1-9 with a 300+ rpi. WOW, have they fallen that far in 9 months?
After dominating the CAA for the most part the last two years I'm happy that they're coming full circle. I thought they were a cocky bunch but maybe their swagger helped them on the court. One of their better players transferred to NC state following Keatts their coach. They still have Devonte Cacock one of the better players in this conference and who is out rebounding RG. Enough said about this what about HU and their potential lack of firepower. I don't want to harp on the obvious ad-nauseam but the next game IMO is going to give us a good indication as to where we stand this year in the CAA pecking order. We're going to need to shut down W&M three point game and come up with our own game plan to get some even scoring while incorporating ROK into the mix. Is everyone on board with this and maybe our PG's start to become more aggressive and attack the basket. Let's hope for all the above.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Last comment before heading into CAA play. And that is the fantastic OOC schedule we had this year. The athletic department and program put together an awesome OOC schedule for the team.

We played 3 top 30 teams (Vill, Clem, and Aub)
we played another top 100 team in Dayton.
We continued the rivalry with SB.
A nice opening game against Army
and another 5 games to round out the schedule.

I cant recall us playing this number of top programs before CAA play.
Great Job HU!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Our out of conference schedule is 57th, which is much better than usual. In the last 13 complete seasons including the postseasons, we had an average out of conference schedule of 207th, with the best rank being 123rd in 2009-2010.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We may have played a good schedule but the HOME portion was not good at all. Three games at the Mack; Army, Kennesaw and Molloy....then we had to play at Adelphi? Not so good IMO
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

That’s the life of a mid major. I️ would like to see one P5 school come to the Mack. Maybe Rutgers SetonHall or UConn StJohns coming to the Mack again. Will be when HELL FREEZES OVER
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:That’s the life of a mid major. I️ would like to see one P5 school come to the Mack. Maybe Rutgers SetonHall or UConn StJohns coming to the Mack again. Will be when HELL FREEZES OVER
Because we won't pay a guarantee.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So expect attendance to be dismal in the future even if we have a good team. The guarantee money is an investment in the future of the program. If they don’t want to invest in your flagship sport you might as well close shop they need a new scoreboard and they don’t want to spend the money
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: That’s the life of a mid major. I️ would like to see one P5 school come to the Mack. Maybe Rutgers SetonHall or UConn StJohns coming to the Mack again. Will be when HELL FREEZES OVER
In terms of it being "the life of a mid major," it's not like Hofstra traveled to teams in better conferences. Even if you count it as a home game for Villanova, it didn't require travel for Hofstra. Hofstra's other travel was to teams in the MAAC, America East, and neutral site games in Charleston. It would be a big deal to get any of those teams to play at Hofstra, but only one of them is P5. The Big East is one of the top conferences, but is not P5 because it doesn't exist in Football. Connecticut is in the American Athletic.

Here are how many away games each CAA team at teams in the top eight conferences from last season (P5, Big East, Atlantic 10, and American Athletic):

Hofstra: 0 (excluding Villanova like I said above)
Towson: 1 (Pittsburgh)
Drexel: 0 (went to La Salle and Temple within Philadelphia)
Delaware: 1 (Richmond)
Northeastern: 3 (Stanford, Ohio State, and St. Bonaventure)
James Madison: 2 (Richmond and Florida)
William & Mary: 4 (Central Florida, George Mason, Ohio State, and Texas Christian)
Elon: 1 (Duke)
UNC Wilmington: 3 (Davidson, East Carolina, and Louisiana State)
College of Charleston: 2 (Wichita State and Rhode Island)

That's an average of 1.7.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Game day tomorrow. Anyone have a scouting report or prediction for the game?
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Isn’t the game on Saturday?
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Jojogunne wrote:Isn’t the game on Saturday?
You are right. Got my days mixed up.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The women are playing JMU tomorrow
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This team scores a lot of points but also gives up a lot. They score 87 and give up 81. Hofstra scores 77.8 and gives up 77.4. Hofstra wins by slim margins and has no room for error E.G. TURNOVERS AND MISSED FT's. I'll go on the record and say that Hofstra has to keep this team in the low 80's if not in the high 70's to win. Probably JWF and EP have to score around 40 between them to win??
Captain

Post by Captain »

This is a William and Mary team that lost a ton of important players from last year. Daniel Dixon, Jack Whitman. The great shooter from Kentucky whose name eludes me and another shooter in Malinowski. That is a boatload of points. (Evan?) A loss here is not a good omen for the season. Let's get Caa play off on a great note with a couple of road wins in tough places! 'Nuff said.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Captain don't kid yourself W&M has replaced those players with some nice pieces...they have a 6-10 kid who can hit the three and they have played extremely well as of late. Massey runs simulations for the game and it has us winning 86-85, see http://www.compughterratings.com/CBB/simulations.

I will be ok if we go 1-1 in this game and in Tuesday's at Northeastern. Tough way to start CAA play.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

HUSID74 wrote:Captain don't kid yourself
Because then you would be "Captain Kid" !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: