Game 11 - Manhattan (at Adelphi)

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Re: Game 11 - Manhattan (at Adelphi)

Post by ProudofPride »

This may be helpful for anyone going tonight. https://mobile.twitter.com/HofstraTicke ... 4505716736

Also saw on twitter that the pep band will be there. I’m glad the school is paying for that short bus ride so that there could be some students there.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

triplec2195 wrote:I think this conversation would be better served if we stay away from statistical comparisons and stick to the team to team matchups as well as man to man matchups. When we go up against teams that have 4's 5's that can shoot three's I want to know what the game plan is going to be to guard these guys. I'm not into facing the possibility of 6 foot guards trying to defend 6'9" perimeter shooters. I don't know if their two big players are on the court at the same time?? Think about these scenario's and put RPI'S ON THE BACK BURNER!
Agreed
garyg

Post by garyg »

Tonight is a real test for Hofstra..with Nova looming in background will be very easy to overlook Manhattan
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=200608 will have statistics. Hofstra is starting Wormley, Wright-Foreman, Pemberton, Gustys, and Angus III. Manhattan's starters aren't listed yet.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... /_/id/2363 has Manhattan's statistics.

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2017 ... attan.html is by Jerry Beach. He mistakenly said that Towson and Manhattan played in Ireland. They played in Northern Ireland.

Edit: Manhattan is starting Zavier Turner (senior guard), Zane Waterman (senior forward), Nehemiah Mack (freshman forward), Rich Williams (senior guard), and Pauly Paulicap (sophomore guard).

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/hofs ... Type=video has video.
Last edited by EvanJ on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Surreal feeling to see a Hofstra "home game" at Adelphi. Feels like everyone at The Mack was transported or time-warped to a high school gym instead.

But it also should be fun. HU wearing yellows tonight. Would like to see that more often at The Mack.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Just took 3 tries to successfully inbound the ball. Could be in for a long night if we don't figure out Manhattan's defense.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

ProudofPride wrote:Just took 3 tries to successfully inbound the ball. Could be in for a long night if we don't figure out Manhattan's defense.
RG misses to chippies - come on man!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

In the first 8:32, both teams have scored under a point a minute, and neither team has an assist, although I thought Pemberton got an assist on Hofstra's first basket when the play-by-play doesn't say he had the ball.

Edit: Manhattan went up 18-14, and with 8:14 left in the first half Hofstra called their second timeout. Wright-Foreman has scored 9, but Pemberton has missed all 4 of his field goals and made 1 out 2 free throws.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

we might not score 20 by halftime...
Manhattan is in the midst of a 14-2 run, thanks to 50% shooting from the field and our sloppy turnovers and fouls.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

DB does so many more good things then KW
Wags

Post by Wags »

JWF had 13 of Hofstra's first 18 points. No one else really getting involved.

Disappointed that Gustys' game hasn't progressed more by this stage after that monster sophomore year. As a I feared (and posted) before the start of last season, Green made him look good.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Buie is second on Hofstra with 3 points. I wonder what our record is for fewest points by our second highest scorer.

We have 4 assists and 10 turnovers. The last time we had over twice as many turnovers as assists was a 70-69 comeback win at UNC Wilmington on February 25, 2016. The last time we had over twice as many turnovers as assists in a loss was a 69-58 loss hosting George Washington on December 28, 2013.

With 15:42 left at a media timeout, Hofstra has scored the only 7 points of the half to go up 34-33. Manhattan led continuously for 10:50.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:JWF had 13 of Hofstra's first 18 points. No one else really getting involved.

Disappointed that Gustys' game hasn't progressed more by this stage after that monster sophomore year. As a I feared (and posted) before the start of last season, Green made him look good.
So true about RG - stinks that he didn't improve or get the support he needs to excel
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

There were finals held today. Did the team actually get to practice at all before this game? Sure doesn't look like it.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We now have 2 losses to sub 500 MAAC teams, including 1 at a neutral site. That can't happen. Steve Masiello is undefeated against Hofstra in his career.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Just got back, ugh, heartbreaker.

Should we lose that game? Absolutely not. But it was just such a strange game. We could not shoot the ball, 32%. We frankly outplayed them everywhere else. I've never seen us lack confidence from the perimeter the way we did tonight. The shooting was horrible from all over the court.

The reason I can't be too mad is because we just didn't give up, and we had a really good chance to win, with possession, down 1 with 29 seconds left. We just could not hit a shot. Kudos to Manhattan for gutting it out, but I'm just bewildered, the Jaspers played solid defensively, but we had good looks all night.

Also, props to our athletic department for doing a real nice job with the lounge today, and thanks to Adelphi for hosting us, it was a really nice environment for a one-off game, just a bummer of an ending.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Shame we lost this one...kind of takes some luster out of the game Friday...did not help that we had to play this game on a neutral court...however they made shots, we did not...we looked like we never saw that press early in the game, turning the ball over and throwing up poor shots..which clearly gave Manhattan confidence.

Also, what's up with Pemberton, he has played poorly in the last two games...just not playing with any confidence.

But give Manhattan credit they play hard and contest EVERY shot...good lesson for us.

Looks like the CAA took it on the chin tonight..think we lost all of our games.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:We now have 2 losses to sub 500 MAAC teams, including 1 at a neutral site. That can't happen. Steve Masiello is undefeated against Hofstra in his career.
Yup, now 5-0.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Just got back, ugh, heartbreaker.

Should we lose that game? Absolutely not. But it was just such a strange game. We could not shoot the ball, 32%. We frankly outplayed them everywhere else. I've never seen us lack confidence from the perimeter the way we did tonight. The shooting was horrible from all over the court.

The reason I can't be too mad is because we just didn't give up, and we had a really good chance to win, with possession, down 1 with 29 seconds left. We just could not hit a shot. Kudos to Manhattan for gutting it out, but I'm just bewildered, the Jaspers played solid defensively, but we had good looks all night.

Also, props to our athletic department for doing a real nice job with the lounge today, and thanks to Adelphi for hosting us, it was a really nice environment for a one-off game, just a bummer of an ending.
I guess after this game I need to vent with a glass of wine by my side. I'll start of first by saying we were three season ticket holders at the game and when we went to sit in the seats that have backs middle of the court we were told we couldn't sit there. What?????????/ When I questioned Maria Corvino told me they were reserved for family etc of the ballplayers. Really well not only have I been around this program for 40 years I've been a season ticket holder for numerous years and secondly there were tons of empty seats there. This got me annoyed from the get go especially when after the game started I saw a bunch of people move into those seats and nobody said anything. So much for that I couldn't disagree more about the above statement " We frankly outplayed them everywhere else" we obviously were watching two different games. I saw a Manhattan team full court pressing us and creating turnovers and taking us out of any rhythm we were hoping to establish and leading most of this game. I saw JWF providing us with all our offense in the 1st half. I couldn't tell what was wrong with EP but clearly off his game and not taking many shots in the 1st half. I now see why HS doesn't play more clearly outclassed in this game between Rok and Sabety a multitude of missed close in shots in the paint just disgusting and then both of them miss all four of their free throws. Not many contested shots in the paint and no blocks. You can't just let RG get free passes based on his rebounding a plus but where's his offense. It's bad enough neither of these 5's have a mid range game but when they can't hit layups short bank shots,free throws it's pathetic. I'll give this team some credit for coming back at the end but with a lot of help from poor FT shooting by Manhattan and some critical misses by us didn't help our cause. There was no miracle in the cards tonight. Yes we could have won but how many times are u going to go to the well in a game like this. We clearly did not deserve to win this game and nothing was bailing us out not even the technical foul called after 5 minutes of deliberating by the refs. who IMO at times let the game get out of hand. Kudo's to #33 Pauly Paulicap of Manhattan who had 6 block shots and was a definite enforcer down low. He should of changed uniforms!! Besides all of this a very entertaining and enjoyable game. Not!!!!!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Just got back, ugh, heartbreaker.

A very different environment a player has barely seen in a long time can mess with a shooter's head. That high school look of a wall, with the track above it, behind the hoop instead of the normal arena seating behind the hoop that they're used to can do that. Sounds like a poor excuse, but it can have an effect (at least on the open shots, because Manhattan did also contest a lot of them).

But give Manhattan credit. They keyed on JWF in the second half. He was 1/9 in the second half after going 5/10 in the first half.