Game 11 - Manhattan (at Adelphi)

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Game 11 - Manhattan (at Adelphi)

Post by Jojogunne »

Another MAAC game. We should win easily. Manhattan is only 4-7.
ProudofPride

Re: Game 11 - Manhattan (at Adelphi)

Post by ProudofPride »

Jojogunne wrote: Manhattan is only 4-7.
Doesn't mean anything. Siena was winless and we struggled mightily. On paper we should win, but Manhattan always gives us a challenge, it likely won't be an easy game.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

This Manhattan team almost beat Towson.....should have beaten Towson.........I am not so "easy".

I'd like to see laser-focus, almost a "must win" approach, defend home court, refuse to lose......all that stuff....but we just gotta bring it !

It will take spirit, will, a dog-like toughness.

I do not want us smelling ourselves...........
Cards

Post by Cards »

The Adelphi facility is fairly new and nice for a local D2 school. That being said, it does not hold more than 1,000 fans. It will be very sad if we can't fill this facility for this game and have at least 90% rooting for HU.

All tickets are general admission - I guess its sit wherever you would like. Even the tix sent out to season tix holders are only GA.

Good thing JM has calmed down this year - everyone in the Adelphi arena would hear every word :lol: :lol:

Take nothing for granted! Come out playing hard defense. We finally have a solid 10 man rotation. Everyone should go at 100% and then sub out as needed. Cannot lose this one going into Friday nights game.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We need to take care of business with this game...it would be a huge letdown to lose this game right before Villanova...I know Joe is concerned that we may look past this game.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Didnt we lose to Manhattan the last time we played them. This team should not look past anyone.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Can we buy tix at Adelphi? I plan on coming out to this game with a friend.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Hofstra wrote:Can we buy tix at Adelphi? I plan on coming out to this game with a friend.
just go to the gohofstra.com website. Look under "tickets" dropdown menu, and click on mens BB. I believe they are not immediately downloaded, so you will have to stop by "will call" when you arrive to pick up tix.
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

Jojogunne wrote:Another MAAC game. We should win easily. Manhattan is only 4-7.
what a silly thing to say. you know they lost to towson by one point, right? and towson is prob the fav in the conf with cofc now.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUclassof19 wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:Another MAAC game. We should win easily. Manhattan is only 4-7.
what a silly thing to say. you know they lost to towson by one point, right? and towson is prob the fav in the conf with cofc now.
Yeah let's be honest none of our games will be easy. We're going to play a lot of close games and so far we have shown resilience in winning these close games sometimes by a miracle from above. I like HU in close games because we shoot well from the FT line as long as our bigs are not on the floor. JWF is a force to be reckoned with and as long as he's on his game I always like our chances. Now having said that both bigs for Manhattan Waterman and Crawford 6'9" F shoot from beyond the perimeter which means someone of size is going to have to guard these guys beyond the arc not our guards. Rich Williams their leading scorer is 6'6" and is a guy we recruited years ago. This team has decent size but as a team they don't rebound well. I'll let Evan have the last say re stats since he puts stats under a microscope but this game IMO will be similar to the Stony Brook game as far as the final score is concerned. An important game keeping our momentum moving forward into the Villanova game.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUclassof19 wrote: and towson is prob the fav in the conf with cofc now.
Towson is by far the best team in the CAA in the RPI and Sagarin. C of C is sixth in the CAA in RPI. They're 5-3 against Division I with the second easiest schedule in the CAA in the RPI and the easiest schedule in the CAA in the Sagarin. They haven't beaten anybody with more than 3 Division I wins.
triplec2195 wrote: I'll let Evan have the last say re stats since he puts stats under a microscope but this game IMO will be similar to the Stony Brook game as far as the final score is concerned. An important game keeping our momentum moving forward into the Villanova game.
Manhattan is 281st in the RPI, which is worse than Stony Brook in 238th. Manhattan's best RPI win was against Morgan State who is 165th. They have losses by 11 and 13 to Missouri-Kansas City and Fordham who are in the bottom third of the RPI. Manhattan is better in the Sagarin than in the RPI, but they're still 214th and worse than Stony Brook in the RPI. Two RPI websites have this counting as a neutral site game, which is better for our RPI than a home game.
RIP_HOFUSA

Post by RIP_HOFUSA »

Manhattan is definitely a solid team. Hofstra is pretty good but we've barely beaten the last three teams we've faced and none of them were all that great. I think any one of the last three wins could really easily have been three losses so keep that in mind. We're not blowing out anyone unless they're DII. Yet we do have a solid team with a ton of talent at guard.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

EvanJ wrote:
HUclassof19 wrote: and towson is prob the fav in the conf with cofc now.
Towson is by far the best team in the CAA in the RPI and Sagarin. C of C is sixth in the CAA in RPI. They're 5-3 against Division I with the second easiest schedule in the CAA in the RPI and the easiest schedule in the CAA in the Sagarin. They haven't beaten anybody with more than 3 Division I wins.
triplec2195 wrote: I'll let Evan have the last say re stats since he puts stats under a microscope but this game IMO will be similar to the Stony Brook game as far as the final score is concerned. An important game keeping our momentum moving forward into the Villanova game.
Manhattan is 281st in the RPI, which is worse than Stony Brook in 238th. Manhattan's best RPI win was against Morgan State who is 165th. They have losses by 11 and 13 to Missouri-Kansas City and Fordham who are in the bottom third of the RPI. Manhattan is better in the Sagarin than in the RPI, but they're still 214th and worse than Stony Brook in the RPI. Two RPI websites have this counting as a neutral site game, which is better for our RPI than a home game.
Stony brook came within a last second foul of winning at Providence

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I think this conversation would be better served if we stay away from statistical comparisons and stick to the team to team matchups as well as man to man matchups. When we go up against teams that have 4's 5's that can shoot three's I want to know what the game plan is going to be to guard these guys. I'm not into facing the possibility of 6 foot guards trying to defend 6'9" perimeter shooters. I don't know if their two big players are on the court at the same time?? Think about these scenario's and put RPI'S ON THE BACK BURNER!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Here are the heights, three-pointers attempted per game, and three-point field goal percentages for the eight Manhattan players with a significant amount of attempts:

6 foot 5, 3.7, .455
6 foot 8, 3.6, .417
6 foot 9, 3.3, .303
6 foot 2, 2.2, .364
5 foot 9, 2.1, .381
6 foot 5, 2.0, .450
6 foot 0, 1.5, .400
6 foot 1, 1.2, .182

Combining height and percentage, the second player could be hard to guard. They don't have anybody who attempts a lot of three-pointers. They shoot three-pointers .378, which is 90th out of 351 teams ,and slightly worse than Hofstra's .380. A weakness that could make them blow leads is that they're 324th in free throw percentage at .642.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah Evan and don't forget to mention that we have a clear rebounding advantage if u want to strictly look at stats. All of these stats can become moot issues on a given day depending on what team comes to play and is hungrier!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

This game is the Headstrong Awareness game.

http://gohofstra.com/news/2017/12/11/me ... -game.aspx
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

According to Newsday we're 6 1/2 point favorites. That sound about right??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

ESPN had it at 5 last night...this team plays everything close, why should this game be any different?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just an FYI after looking at pictures of their facility Center For Recreation and Sports which is small they appear to have bleacher seats like the old Physical Fitness center with no back support. A nightmare for old dudes like me on our backs!!