In Guards We Trust

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

In Guards We Trust

Post by Jojogunne »

Are you excited about Jalen Ray?

I think we need to start Ray alongside JWF and Pemberton. Buie or Wormley can come in to give the three starters relief, but I think our best bet to get off to a good start each game is to go with our three best backcourt players.

Ray's emergence as a legitimate scoring threat reminds me of our "In Guards We Trust" season when Agudio, Rivera and Stokes averaged more than 50 ppg. JWT, Pemberton and Ray are already averaging 45 ppg without Ray getting major minutes. I'd love to see what Ray could do playing 30+ minutes per game.

I also think Trueheart should start over Angus, but that's another discussion.
stuball888

Re: In Guards We Trust

Post by stuball888 »

Actually Angus has been for the most part solid. I️ can see Trueheart getting about 15 to 30 minutes a game. Angus might be our best free throw shooter. I️ can see him and Trueheart late in games if we are protecting a lead
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wright-Foreman and Pemberton are averaging 40.9 points per game, which is more than Stokes and Agudio's 40.5 in 2006-2007, which is the highest by Hofstra teammates in the CAA and possibly ever (I don't know). Before yesterday, Hofstra was one of eight teams with two players averaging at least 40 points. There are 351 teams in Division I, so eight is 2.3 percent. Tramaine Isabell's 12 points yesterday gave Wright-Foreman sole possession of the CAA lead, and Pemberton is sixth. Wright-Foreman is 17th in Division I and Pemberton is tied for 91st. Four of the top seventeen are in New York.

Here are some team offensive statistics with Hofstra's amount followed by the Division I median:

Points per game: 79.7, 75.5
Field goal percentage: .454, .450
Three-point field goal percentage: .376, .351
Free throw percentage: .725, .705
Three-pointers made per game: 9.2, 7.8
Last edited by EvanJ on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I happen to like Ray coming off the bench to give us a shot in the arm...instant scoring if you will.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

My starting 5 would be (all getting playing time of 25-30+/- minutes)

1 - Buie
2 - JFW
3 - Eli P (got to have an Eli starting)
4 - Angus
5 - Gustys

First to off the bench (both get 20+/- minutes)
G - J Ray
F - Truehart

Next of the bench (getting 10- minutes)
G - Wormley
F - Sabaty
F - Radovic

this gets our better shooters, better athletes getting more PT.
down the stretch - I can have any of my top 7 players on the floor - maybe not Gustys if the opponents are fouling.
never believe in just burying guys - Wormley, Sabaty, Radovic - as I think they can add quality minutes in short spurts.
also never believe guys should get 35+ minutes - even JFW and EP - I think everyone can use a breather, learn something from the bench and be fresher down the stretch.
I like what I see of Truehart - and would never expect him to keep those numbers up with more playing time/against better player - but like his shot selection/his stroke.
I know we can play without a true point guard - and have no problem getting big minutes of JFW, EP and JR - on the floor together.
next year - we keep most of our scoring potential - and lose our big rebounders - hope you guys are right about coach looking at bigs; especially a big that has some experience (JuCo or eligible transfer).
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

daHUPrider - I am pretty much spot on with you on your allocation of minutes. Let's hope coach ends up agreeing with us.

The only other thing I would add is you ride the hot hand; if Radovic is hitting his 3's maybe he plays closer to 20 minutes that game and Trueheart and Angus play 5 minutes less each.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HofstraMathew wrote:daHUPrider - I am pretty much spot on with you on your allocation of minutes. Let's hope coach ends up agreeing with us.

The only other thing I would add is you ride the hot hand; if Radovic is hitting his 3's maybe he plays closer to 20 minutes that game and Trueheart and Angus play 5 minutes less each.
hot hand, hustle plays (block shots rebounds, steals), momentum changers always can get extra minutes -
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Loved what Ray has brought the last few games. Not sure I am ready to insert him into the starting lineup yet. Tomorrow night, I want to see how he handles the guard play again. I want to see him drive. Not that I haven't seen it, but I want to look for it. Didn't expect this production from him after the early slate of games this season. Lately though, boom, the kid is bringing it.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

daHUPride wrote: also never believe guys should get 35+ minutes - even JFW and EP - I think everyone can use a breather, learn something from the bench and be fresher down the stretch.
I agree, and I don't like when players play the whole game, but top players like JWF and EP should play 32 to 34, not 25 to 30. 25 to 30 would be like an MLB team that rests stars too often.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree on being mindful of the PT, but JM has shown he is going to ride his star guys to the max.

Ray has certainly earned more PT, and even to be a starter. But he also may be best right now coming off the bench, and the same for ST.

I like Angus, he brings a lot of workman like elements to the table and is a very valuable part of this team. He was exposed against the P5's, but he should still be an impact player all year.

Ray and ST as the first guard/post guys off the bench gives HU a serious spark of energy and talent that is vital.

Either way, I just want things solid going into CAA play. So if they are going to give either a starting shot, do it now. Otherwise stick with them in this "bench" role, but with increasing/significant minutes to maximize the impact ability.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

It really doesnt matter who starts. Its who finishes in crunch time that matters. If you are productive you will see time when it counts.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

You do agree that the best players should start, right?
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:Agree on being mindful of the PT, but JM has shown he is going to ride his star guys to the max.

Ray has certainly earned more PT, and even to be a starter. But he also may be best right now coming off the bench, and the same for ST.

I like Angus, he brings a lot of workman like elements to the table and is a very valuable part of this team. He was exposed against the P5's, but he should still be an impact player all year.

Ray and ST as the first guard/post guys off the bench gives HU a serious spark of energy and talent that is vital.

Either way, I just want things solid going into CAA play. So if they are going to give either a starting shot, do it now. Otherwise stick with them in this "bench" role, but with increasing/significant minutes to maximize the impact ability.
JM always plays "his" guys the majority of minutes - I don't agree with it - JFW could certainly gained great experience playing for Brian Bernardi in '15-'16. Sometimes he is content or stubborn and would rather live and die by his sword.
I love watching VCU play, always did - regardless of whom they have coaching they play a deep bench they run guys in and out and bet they have 10 guys get 15 minutes per game. Not saying we are THAT deep but I think you encourage player to play when they know it means something - as opposed to being buried on the bench behind a core of 6 or 7.
Ray has certainly impressed - and if continues to play that way - JFW, EP and JR are going to tough to defend.