How in the world did Wofford get these P5's at HOME???

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

How in the world did Wofford get these P5's at HOME???

Post by Polito »

South Carolina AND Georgia Tech at home - beat GT on a 3 with their own ESPN Top 10 moment

And Harvard at home for good measure :shock:

I mean that is awesome - dream type of home slate for any mid - how did they do this?? How much did they pay those schools?? How can Wofford do it but Hofstra can't??
stuball888

Re: How in the world did Wofford get these P5's at HOME???

Post by stuball888 »

Ask the new AD
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

Looks to me that USC did them a favor to be the first opponent in their new arena (and probably a 2 for 1). GT looks like a 2 for 1 as well.....maybe even 3 for 1 (?).

That's my best guess though......
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito you need to know that if you want to build a mid powerhouse like Gonzaga, et al you need to spend BIG dollars to get the program going. Charter flights, guarantees to get top home opponents, etc. You don't get these games, etc on your good looks or no mater how savvy you are....money talks and we are whispering.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Good call dutchie, most likely a new arena push. Wofford has never had a home schedule like this season that since they got to D-1. Although I have to give them credit for getting South Carolina at home a few times in the last 20 years.

We need to get the St. John's rivalry back on, maybe they'll play us in the Coliseum now, but it would be nice to get one P5 team at the Mack. Although, it would probably be like a road game for us.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I think you are all forgetting that money seems to be a real issue at HU right now. There must be a problem about funding repairs or replacing the Mack Arena scoreboard. Didn't Stuball 888 mention a cancelled HU versus Lehigh softball game last spring due to a funding problem? Do you really think the HU administration is spending large amounts of money with the 2017 out of CAA conference home MBB schedule except for VU? There are probably other examples that we,as fans, are not familiar. Hopefully, with the change in the AD, a difference can occur for the 2018-19 season.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I understand that even just to get St francis of Brooklyn to come to the Mack was a problem. The school in brooklyn wanted 75 Grand just for a bus ride from brooklyn to hempstead. Hofstra would not pay for that. replacing the scoreboard even for almost the exact same board was over 300K. The scoreboard would have to look like the old scoreboard at Shuart stadium before they would replace it. That scoreboard was so bad the numbers and letters looked like it was in brail.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

St. Francis (NY) wanting $75,000 is ridiculous. I don't remember the amount, but I read in Newsday that Stony Brook paid Sacred Heart under $100,000 to come play football, and that's a longer trip with way more people and equipment than basketball.
Cards

Post by Cards »

So what does HU get paid to go to Monmouth and then Rider?? Or, are they going to be "away" this year and "home" next year - basically a wash.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

There is some money that changes hands but nothing like what has been mentioned here...sometimes you buy a game to fill a home slot, other times you go home and home and essentially trade expenses. The Villanova game is a home game for them...they will be getting several hundred k to come here, we're getting something like $2,500.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I know we got $25k to play Kentucky last year.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Elon will open the Schar Center in November by hosting North Carolina.