Monmouth/Rider

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby stuball888 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:09 pm

WOW!
stuball888
 
Posts: 1886
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:21 am

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby ProudofPride » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:10 pm

How's everyone's heart doing‽‽
Must've been a helluva halftime speech
ProudofPride
 
Posts: 2018
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:21 pm

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby dutchiedoright » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:13 pm

Exceptional game !!!!

Gutty, gritty, high effort, improbable outcome......WOW !!!
dutchiedoright
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby Jordan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:16 pm

Jordan wrote:Every game: The second we get cold = game over. Being down by 11 shouldn't mean the game is over. Unfortunately that's how this team seems to always take it no matter how many minutes left.

I gladly stand corrected :D
Jordan
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:29 pm

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby The Shadow » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:19 pm

Wow, did not see that coming at all. RG rough game. Freshmen come up big. ST and JR stepped up. Great tip off the missed FT and dagger jumper. Wow, 6 points in the last 10 seconds. From what I have seen so far, more time for JA and less for DB and KW. If you can get ESPN-3, the game can be seen on replay.
Last edited by The Shadow on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Shadow
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:07 pm

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby Cards » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:21 pm

HOLY COW - what a second half! :o :lol:

Ray and Truehart - players of the game. Angus (our blue collar guy) has a clutch double double.

Considering Rays experience at the college level, he plays with confidence. A LOT of confidence :D . Looks like playing time for Buie and Wormley just got cut into.

As well as Monmouth shot in the first half, we shot in the second. Great to see guys stepping up big time when Rok had foul trouble and Hunter was out of sorts.

I really though we lost when we were down by five with almost no time left. I was thinking how these guys need to gut it out and NOT ACCEPT LOSING. They must have heard me :lol:
Cards
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:46 pm

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby Wags » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:36 pm

This is going to be a bittersweet post, and I hope the second thought doesn't throw too much cold water on the first, but I think the second one is more important long-term.

The good: the fight is GREAT and the will, simply refusing to lose is SO valuable in the long run! To rally from 14 down in the second half, to think you finally are in control up 3, only to go down 5 with :24 left after giving up an 8-0 run, and when most teams at that point would think... okay, we gave it our best shot, but just couldn't close it... but then they DO show the intestinal fortitude to somehow score the last 6 in the final :10 to eek out a one-point win, what can you say? That's two miracles in two years! Reminds me a bit of last year's win over Drexel, when they were down 10 with under a minute left at home before scoring the last 12 to win by two.

But now the bad: they are not going anywhere trying to just outscore teams and hope for miracles at the end, trying to win in the 80s. And they sure as hell aren't going anywhere in the CAA tourney giving up 59% shooting (or close to it) like they did tonight. Defense just simply is STILL not part of the identity of this program. They don't have to shut teams down, but they can't be willing to let teams be as efficient as Monmouth was tonight and think that's a long-term ticket to where they want to go. That's why in a way, as fun as this conclusion was tonight, it might be a curse in disguise. I don't want them to think 84 points on 59% shooting is an acceptable way to win and buy into that kind of fool's gold, whereas had they lost tonight, they could have said they did plenty offensively but would need to look more honestly at the lack of D in order to win.
Wags
 
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby ProudofPride » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:41 pm

Midmajor Madness posted footage of the final seconds: https://www.midmajormadness.com/platfor ... ssion=true
ProudofPride
 
Posts: 2018
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:21 pm

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby HUSID74 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:50 pm

Wow! All you guys were so ready to bury this team...Awesome comeback! But it does not hide the fact that this team lives and dies with the three...Our big guys were hugely disappointing, but Ray and Trueheart showed a lot and Pemberton and JWF did what they were supposed to...And for all you PG guys I don't think Buie or Wormely played in the second half or at least it appeared that they didn't.

My hope is that this game gives them CONFIDENCE going forward and not complacency that they can come back after a poor first half.
HUSID74
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:46 am

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby stuball888 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:03 pm

One stat that was hidden was ft percentage. Monmouth shot better from the trey than the free throw line. But cards and HUsid agree that if the trey isnt falling this team is not good enough to win in CAA play. At least make some adjustments on D to slow down the other team. asking this team to score 85 points and more each night is asking too much
One one saving grace this year is that we have a BENCH. team has DEPTH which allowed us to replace players who are not effective with those that can contribute.
stuball888
 
Posts: 1886
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:21 am

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby triplec2195 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:11 pm

I don't want to break my arm patting myself on the back but posted the following after the Siena loss;
I'm going to go out on a limb and say with over a month to play in OOC games we could very well see some radical lineup changes. I believe Trueheart will start to find more minutes and show he deserves them and maybe they will experiment with Ray at PG. Does anyone know if he played any PG in high school?? I'll take my rose colored glasses off now but still say much too early to have a fire sale!

Now I'm not casting aspersions but someone replied we already have a PG and someone else said we don't need our PG's to score. This clearly is just one game and who can expect JR to put on this kind of offensive performance but FYI he was playing his butt off on defense and if he can play some point and give us scoring all the better. ST also has some game. He can score, rebound, block shots and shoot from the perimeter and on defense he helped cool off their shooting guard Seaborn with his size and getting in his face. This is a nice win but lets not loose sight of the fact that again our defense wasn't stellar even though I thought at times they really made some tough shots.
triplec2195
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:08 am

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby triplec2195 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:14 pm

triplec2195 wrote:I
don't want to break my arm patting myself on the back but posted the following after the Siena loss;
I'm going to go out on a limb and say with over a month to play in OOC games we could very well see some radical lineup changes. I believe Trueheart will start to find more minutes and show he deserves them and maybe they will experiment with Ray at PG. Does anyone know if he played any PG in high school?? I'll take my rose colored glasses off now but still say much too early to have a fire sale!

Now I'm not casting aspersions but someone replied we already have a PG and someone else said we don't need our PG's to score. This clearly is just one game and who can expect JR to put on this kind of offensive performance but FYI he was playing his butt off on defense and if he can play some point and give us scoring all the better. ST also has some game. He can score, rebound, block shots and shoot from the perimeter and on defense he helped cool off their shooting guard Seaborn with his size and getting in his face. This is a nice win but lets not loose sight of the fact that again our defense wasn't stellar even though I thought at times they really made some tough shots.
triplec2195
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:08 am

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby EvanJ » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:14 pm

HUSID74 wrote:I don't think Buie or Wormely played in the second half or at least it appeared that they didn't.

In the second half, Wormley played 4 minutes and Buie didn't play.

Gustys had 4 rebounds, which was his fewest in a win since he had 1 as a freshman on February 25, 2015.
EvanJ
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby Captain » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:35 pm

This game was a real psychodrama. The first half was one where I was wondering why I root for this team.
In the second half it started to look like so many tough losses that the masochists known as Hofstra basketball fans have had to swallow. [bFinally it was a game and win that can re-define a team[/b]. So psychodramas can have a happy ending! Who knew?
Plenty of warts in this game, but it demonstrates what a truly deeper roster can mean. Did I see a lot more man to man defense too?
Jalen Ray is a player. I loved what I saw of him from high school videos.Remember JWF was an invisible freshman. I envisioned JWF, Eli, and Jalen to dare I say resemble Agudio, Rivera and Stokes. Hope my fantasy is real.
Happy to see Trueheart making an impact. Don't forget about Radovic too.
Captain
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:22 pm

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby Flying Dutchmen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:53 pm

Wags wrote:But now the bad: they are not going anywhere trying to just outscore teams and hope for miracles at the end, trying to win in the 80s. And they sure as hell aren't going anywhere in the CAA tourney giving up 59% shooting (or close to it) like they did tonight. Defense just simply is STILL not part of the identity of this program. They don't have to shut teams down, but they can't be willing to let teams be as efficient as Monmouth was tonight and think that's a long-term ticket to where they want to go. That's why in a way, as fun as this conclusion was tonight, it might be a curse in disguise. I don't want them to think 84 points on 59% shooting is an acceptable way to win and buy into that kind of fool's gold, whereas had they lost tonight, they could have said they did plenty offensively but would need to look more honestly at the lack of D in order to win.


Jeez Wags, are you a Puritan?? Enjoy one! :D

It was a GREAT win. Ray and Trueheart emerged, and we played better with Rok and Sabety not in the lineup. That's not to say we don't need Rok, because we desperately need his rebounding every game. It's just a testament to to the other guys stepping up, and perhaps providing other looks, both offensively and defensively, throughout the season.

Ray was the man, so many clutch bucket, Ice water in the veins in the 2nd half. JWF had his best stretch of the season in the second half, showed a lot of Speedy-esque aggression to the hoop, oozing confidence from the perimeter. Joel Angus, so smooth, I love that guys game. Trueheart emerged as well, a bit of a rollercoaster of a game, but he had the tip to Ray to get the winner.

Obvious tale of two halves, we played man defense in the second and generated some turnovers. So much more aggressive, and we shot exceptionally well. We really needed Rok in the last two minutes to close out the game, but we miraculously regrouped, Angus had a nice O-board and bucket, fouled the freshman, and got the cardiac win. Unbelievable.

Players stepped up tonight, two freshmen stepped up, it's good to see, especially after such a deflating first half. Monmouth was a great test though, because it wasn't perfect. We have to get better defensively, and we made some progress in the second half. We pressured the ball handler more, Monmouth didn't move the ball as well, they still shot well, but we got 7 steals, and four blocks tonight, three from Trueheart, and most of those hustle stats in the second half.

I think it's safe to say now this team doesn't really have a true point guard, and probably doesn't need one considering how often the offense runs though Pemba and JWF. We need a third guard to score points, and Ray stepped up tonight. This team struggles when it doesn't have five offensive threats on the court, but we got that tonight, and that was perhaps the most encouraging aspect of the win.

Overall a season turning point. You felt it at halftime, we aren't that putrid, and we showed a ton of heart to get the miracle W. Onto Rider.
Flying Dutchmen
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:09 pm

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby Wags » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:03 am

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Wags wrote:But now the bad: they are not going anywhere trying to just outscore teams and hope for miracles at the end, trying to win in the 80s. And they sure as hell aren't going anywhere in the CAA tourney giving up 59% shooting (or close to it) like they did tonight. Defense just simply is STILL not part of the identity of this program. They don't have to shut teams down, but they can't be willing to let teams be as efficient as Monmouth was tonight and think that's a long-term ticket to where they want to go. That's why in a way, as fun as this conclusion was tonight, it might be a curse in disguise. I don't want them to think 84 points on 59% shooting is an acceptable way to win and buy into that kind of fool's gold, whereas had they lost tonight, they could have said they did plenty offensively but would need to look more honestly at the lack of D in order to win.


Jeez Wags, are you a Puritan??:D

Nope, just a realist looking at the big picture. If they normally play defense and this were an aberration, I'd have stopped at my first thought. But since that's not the identity of this program, nor has it been for years, I added the second thought. The fact that it took a miracle to win it despite a good offensive game tells you all you need to know. Great for tonight, but that approach won't work this season. It needs to change.

On a side note, I'll recount the finish of this game the next time someone tells me you have to foul up three, on D, in the final seconds. I have always said: just play D and you probably have about a 60-65% chance of winning (if you figure a decent to good 3-pt shooter will make 35-40%), maybe an 80-90% chance if you play really solid D, and EXACTLY as Hofstra showed tonight, way too much can go wrong if you foul in that situation.

p.s. the ending of this game was just on SportsCenter.
Last edited by Wags on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Wags
 
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby HofstraMathew » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:06 am

Flying Dutchmen wrote:I think it's safe to say now this team doesn't really have a true point guard, and probably doesn't need one considering how often the offense runs though Pemba and JWF. We need a third guard to score points, and Ray stepped up tonight. This team struggles when it doesn't have five offensive threats on the court, but we got that tonight, and that was perhaps the most encouraging aspect of the win. .


Yea it seems like our answer to the point guard question is to just not have one on the court. Pemba and JWF can definitely both create their own shots which helps.
HofstraMathew
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:27 pm

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby Hofstra » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:23 am

Just got back from the game, and to say it was eventful is an understatement.

The Good: We won. Trueheart, Angus, Ray played very well. I thought JWF played well, but faltered big time down the stretch. Was really nice to fight back from getting hammered. As a fan in the stands, I wrote this game off as a loss at the half. Angus really played well today, 17 points 11 boards is awesome. Trueheart had really good minutes, helped us big time. Had a big block, and the game winning tip pass. Ray was just lights out in the second half, en fuego. JWF was scoring at will at one point.

The Bad: Coaching, Big Men, anyone not mentioned in the good. Joe just never changes, I don't think he is a good in-game coach what so ever. Someone mentioned earlier that we won't be winning many games like we did tonight, and he's right. We won't be shooting lights out like we did in the second half. We got lucky and we rode it out. Our defense is piss poor. Just non existent. Sabety was LOL bad tonight. The crowd was really getting on him when he missed his dunk, and then a layup the next trip down court. He looked lost, and almost looked as if playing at Tufts would be a stretch for him. He really needs to turn it up.
Radovic is just not ready for the show. He had a WIDE OPEN 3 opportunity right before the first half ended. He hits that, we go into the half down 8, instead of 13, when they strolled down court and hit a layoff. I think the Molloy game where he played well, was a division 2 opponent and not something to hold our hats on.
Gustys has to play better. He got a T, and a foul in the same sequence. As a senior, he can't put us in a position like that. I thought he was ready to FEAST tonight, but he couldn't get his minutes. Monmouth didn't have much of an inside presence to stop him, but we couldnt use him to our advantage.

The REALLY BAD: Just walked in because I was rear ended at a traffic light .2 miles off campus. Sucks, car is ehh, I am ok, thankfully.

I am very happy with the win, and what makes it better was the way that we won. I had 3 JO's behind me all game talking smack, but they left silent. It's just disheartening to see that we can't put it together. Monmouth was a 4 point favorite, and to beat them on the road is awesome, but we got lucky. Luck runs out.
Last edited by Hofstra on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hofstra
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:58 pm

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby Jojogunne » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:25 am

Wags wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Wags wrote:But now the bad: they are not going anywhere trying to just outscore teams and hope for miracles at the end, trying to win in the 80s. And they sure as hell aren't going anywhere in the CAA tourney giving up 59% shooting (or close to it) like they did tonight. Defense just simply is STILL not part of the identity of this program. They don't have to shut teams down, but they can't be willing to let teams be as efficient as Monmouth was tonight and think that's a long-term ticket to where they want to go. That's why in a way, as fun as this conclusion was tonight, it might be a curse in disguise. I don't want them to think 84 points on 59% shooting is an acceptable way to win and buy into that kind of fool's gold, whereas had they lost tonight, they could have said they did plenty offensively but would need to look more honestly at the lack of D in order to win.


Jeez Wags, are you a Puritan??:D

Nope, just a realist looking at the big picture. If they normally play defense and this were an aberration, I'd have stopped at my first thought. But since that's not the identity of this program, nor has it been for years, I added the second thought. The fact that it took a miracle to win it despite a good offensive game tells you all you need to know. Great for tonight, but that approach won't work this season. It needs to change.

On a side note, I'll recount the finish of this game the next time someone tells me you have to foul up three, on D, in the final seconds. I have always said: just play D and you probably have about a 60-65% chance of winning (if you figure a decent to good 3-pt shooter will make 35-40%), maybe an 80-90% chance if you play really solid D, and EXACTLY as Hofstra showed tonight, way too much can go wrong if you foul in that situation.

p.s. the ending of this game was just on SportsCenter.


SNY just showed it, too.
User avatar
Jojogunne
 
Posts: 791
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:00 pm

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Postby Mike34 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:39 am

Great game tonight! What a comeback. Hat's off to JR for proving he can step up to the plate when needed.
Mike34
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:53 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Hofstra Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests