Monmouth/Rider

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Monmouth/Rider

Post by Hofstra »

Anyone in the area going to either game? I plan on being at both. I am not so far away, so it will be a nice trip. I am glad they're grouped together like this.
stuball888

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Post by stuball888 »

Both are winnable and we can also lose both. We play well we win. we cant come out flat or play lazy defense. if we do its lights out.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Both Monmouth and Rider are ranked ahead of us on Sagarin, et al....add the home court advantage for both and we should be 4-6 point underdogs in both games.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

ESPN has us 5 pt underdogs against Monmouth. I believe this is a very important game for this team this year. Tough road game but winnable.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:ESPN has us 5 pt underdogs against Monmouth. I believe this is a very important game for this team this year. Tough road game but winnable.
Totally agree HUSID. Not counting the scrimmage against Molloy, we need to get back into the winning mode. I also think the Monmouth facility is a tough place to play for visiting teams. Its a nice, relatively new (about 7 years old) arena - smaller than the Mack, so it can easily be filled with home team fans. Kinda reminds me a little bit of Stony Brook.

Gotta play with FIRE tonight and get the taste of victory back :P This game will set the stage for the Rider game, as they also are playing tough this year.
Polito

Post by Polito »

These next couple of games are no gimmies and will be formidable opponents... half because of them, and half because HU needs to be MUCH better.

But frankly I'm not interested in Sagarin ratings or x point underdogs, those are just setting up excuses before the game even starts.

HU needs to get their act together and win. If they can't win these games, they will be well on their way to another frustrating year. CAA play is going to be tougher than these NJ games, so HU needs to establish themselves now and get into a strong winning rhythm.

Win these games, and HU can set themselves up with real momentum, confidence, and show they're ready to turn in an exciting year. Either way, I'm not listening to a single excuse. This isn't Nova. Show BIG improvement, get fired up, and win these next games, period.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'm buying into this philosophy of no excuses. Hofstra has three proven players in RG,EP AND JWF. JWF may be the best player in the CAA but definitely in the conversation and RG is a rebounding machine. EP is playing at a higher level then last year and is hitting a high % of his shots. This is enough to be competitive but to win games they need to play together as a team and have to up their game defensively. I don't think Hofstra is going to win too many games where they let their opponents score over 90 points. Does anyone know if this game is available re streaming?? I don't get ESPN3 and I'm not sure whether the video is available thru Monmouth?
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:Does anyone know if this game is available re streaming?? I don't get ESPN3 and I'm not sure whether the video is available thru Monmouth?
I think ESPN3 is their on line streaming "channel". Just go online to www.espn3.com and check the schedule - we are listed
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Thanks Cards!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2017 ... mouth.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Monmouth."

http://www.espn.com/watch/_/id/3206268/ ... basketball has video.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcas ... slive=hofs has statistics. Hofstra is starting Wormley, Wright-Foreman, Pemberton, Angus III, and Gustys. Monmouth is starting Deion Hammond (guard), Mustapha Traore (forward), George Papas (guard), Louie Pillari (guard), and Diago Quinn (center). http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... outh-hawks has Monmouth's statistics.

Edit: ESPN3 said Deion Hammond committed his second foul, and it was Monmouth's fourth foul. The game statistics have Hammond with one foul, Monmouth with three fouls, and Hofstra with four fouls (they have three according to ESPN3). Hofstra led by 6, but it's 15-15.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Our early 6 point lead is now a 10 point deficit, as Monmouth leads 34-24. Hawks are shooting 63% from the field, and their leading scorer currently has 10 points on perfect 5-5 shooting. Nothing ever changes.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Well, that last play just about summarizes the 1st half. Radovic air ball 3, MU layup against no defense in the last few seconds. Looks just like Siena. How come the teams so well? MU is at 63% FG and HU 35%.
Last edited by The Shadow on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Monmouth leads 43-30 at halftime with their largest lead of the game. Hofstra has made only 7 out of 23 two-pointers (.304), with Wright-Foreman, Pemberton, and Wormley combined having 2 out of 12 two-pointers. Monmouth has not attempted a free throw, and I wonder how often a team has at least 43 points at halftime without attempting a free throw. Monmouth has used 12 players, with 9 playing at least 7 minutes and nobody playing more than 13.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Season turning point in the second half.

Either we play hard and win it, or we suck. Horrible defensive effort in the first, lack of focus.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

The team had 6 days to prepare for this game, and still look this horrible... what do they even do in practice?
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Every game: The second we get cold = game over. Being down by 11 shouldn't mean the game is over. Unfortunately that's how this team seems to always take it no matter how many minutes left.

EDIT: 58-63. 80% from the 3 in the second half. This team truly does live and die by it.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Where is Gustys?
Flying Dutchmen

Jojogunne wrote:Where is Gustys?
4 fouls.
Flying Dutchmen