Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Re: Monmouth/Rider

Post by ProudofPride »

BS flagrant foul on Pemba
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

These refs are a goddamn disgrace. How are they professionals?
Flying Dutchmen

We got the W, 75 of 88 points from Ray/Pemba/JWF - In Guards We Trust.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

ProudofPride wrote:
Pride97 wrote:Is there video for the Rider game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://gobroncs.com/watch/?Live=43&type=Archive
Thanks - feed was great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We got lucky. The Good: We shot well and it seems we found our third scoring option in Jalen Ray. I will take two road wins over some decent mid majors. We outrebounded Rider 40-26. We shot 94% from the free throw line. That was HUGE!
The Bad:22 turnovers. This isnt low mid major womens basketball. We got ZERO POINTS and 4 turnovers from our point guards. with only 1 assist. That is unacceptable. We are playing with fire and smoke and mirrors if we think we can go the rest of the year winning games like this. Wasnt Wormley suppossed to be the ANSWER and the DIFFERENCE MAKER for this team at point guard while Buie recovers from injury, Rider shot less than 50% from the free throw line. That will not happen too often in CAA play.
Still I will take this win. I will say this is a gutty and resilient team.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We won 88-82. Wright-Foreman (30), Pemberton (career-high 28), Ray (17), Angus III (8), and Trueheart (5) were the only Hofstra players to attempt a field goal or free throw, and they all made at least half of their field goals. Before Gustys today, I wonder if Hofstra ever had a player with at least 29 minutes, at least 10 rebounds, and no field goals or free throws attempted. It was the fourth time since 2010-2011 a Division I player did that. Rider made 4 out of 15 free throws in the second half and shot three-pointers better than free throws in the game. Hofstra made at least 90 percent of their free throws for the second time this season. Before this season they did that twice in 135 games, which is 15 times as many as they played this season.

Edit: Hofstra's 22 turnovers were their most since they had 22 in a 97-69 loss at Louisville on November 12, 2013. It was Hofstra's most turnovers in a win since they had 22 in a 68-63 neutral site win over Yale on November 16, 2009. That was 271 games ago. It was the first time since at least 2005-2006 that Hofstra had at least 22 turnovers and at least 22 fouls in a win. Wright-Foreman tied Tramaine Isabell for the CAA scoring lead at exactly 22 each. Before today, 22 points per game ranked a player tied for 18th in Division I. Pemberton is up to 18.9 points per game, and he could enter the Top 100.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

OK while this game is fresh in my mind it was a disturbing game to watch maybe except for the end since winning is always sweet. I don't want to reiterate what everyone has already said re turnovers and non existent PG play all good points. This game started to swing our way when both ST and JR came into the game. I haven't seen the minutes played but JR had a substantial amount of minutes and made a nice contribution in this game and is a kid that certainly is going to help this team win games. While I'll admit that EP had a nice offensive game 7 turnovers is just not acceptable. I continue to hear from JM about how ROK has soft hands etc. but he continues to not be able to handle good passes in the paint and hold onto rebounds. Time and time again he rebounds the ball and somehow gets it taken away and telegraphs his passes where the other team gets the steal and winds up getting an easy layup. Again we need to play better defense and if it weren't for Rider being awful from the foul line we might have lost this game. This team looks to be a very good foul shooting team and we're going to win close games on the strength of our foul shooting. Somebody said we can't win without our PG'S but I wonder if we could win with them?? What I've seen in the last two games with Ray getting more minutes along with Trueheart I think this team is better when our PG'S are not on the floor. At least we're getting consistent scoring so far from our bench.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: While I'll admit that EP had a nice offensive game 7 turnovers is just not acceptable.
It was the tenth time since 2010-2011 that a Division I player had at least 28 points, at least 8 rebounds, at least 4 assists, and at least 7 turnovers.

http://gohofstra.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=8039 is the box score.

http://gohofstra.com/news/2017/12/9/men ... ath=mbball is Hofstra'a recap.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400991098 is the Associated Press recap.

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2017 ... rider.html is by Jerry Beach before the game.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Ay Dos Mios... What a crap win.. We played to lose that game. If they didn't miss like 11 free throws in a row, we would have got run off the court.

Eli/JWF/Ray were awesome. I think Angus played great as well, almost another double double, needed another bucket.

The bad was just so bad tonight.
Rok didn't even score
Sabety was garbage as usual
Wormley.. Oh man.. Talk about a swing and a miss. His stat line was 16 minutes, 0 points (0 shot attempts), 1 assist, 4 turnovers, and 3 fouls. And he STARTED.

Another game where the defense stunk. If they hit their free throws this game was a blowout for Rider. I am happy we won, but man, this didn't make me comfortable with this team moving forward. The FT shooting on our end was awesome though. Eli was clutch, made all the big free throws he took. Hope to see Ray getting Wormleys minutes from now on.
Flying Dutchmen

Good points triple c.

I would say at this point, this team is more like the '06 team as in we have three guards(JWF/Pemba/Ray) that should be on the court, and all of them will share the responsibility of being the PG. I think Pemba has the best PG ability of the three, but he had a really sloppy game, despite the great shooting night.

Very strange game, the forwards were not involved at all offensively. Rok had a rough game, he had two bad fouls in the first half, and lost defensive aggression after that. Gritty performance from Angus though. I agree triplec, Trueheart looked good when he was in, but he picked up four PF in 10 minutes. I think ST should see more time with Angus in the frontcourt, we get a defensive spark with that lineup.

Wormley played out of control tonight. I'm not ready to count him out yet, because I like his size and athleticism, but Ray has clearly outplayed him and Buie, and got rewarded with 28 minutes tonight. Buie may still not be 100% from that knee injury, he's lost confidence defensively, that's why he got pulled early and didn't make it back in the game. JM has to coach up Wormley the next few weeks so he can have a role in CAA play. A bench role may be better for him, so he can be kind of a sparkplug. He's got a good first step, I think he could be good on the pick and roll with Rok/Sabety, but it just seems like every game he's playing more out of control, and he's not bringing anything defensively right now.

JWF/Pemba/Ray took over tonight. Ray is a stud, he's a great compliment to Pemba/JWF, and he's playing with a lot of confidence right now. He's got legit scoring ability. Pemba had a funky game, he was sloppy moving the ball, but he was very aggressive offensively and punished Rider from both the perimeter and FT line. The flagrant was ridiculous, I thought Pemba was fouled fairly hard before the flagrant was called on him, It allowed Rider to get back into the game. JWF had what I thought was his best performance of the year, he hit a bunch of clutch shots for us when the game could have swung in Rider's favor.

What a weird game though. We were so sloppy, 22 turnovers is so uncharacteristic. I thought we came out of the gate playing solid defense, but it evaporated after the first under 16 timeout. Honestly, the focus wasn't there, maybe finals are getting to the guys haha. Regardless of the sloppy performance, the effort was there, and we got the W.

We have three excellent games before CAA play. This team has been all over the place the first 9 games of the season, but I think we start seeing a more solidified rotation after the SB game. Two very exciting games this week!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I like the remark Gritty performance Flying Dutchmen re JA. He gets lost in the shuffle with the conversation always revolving around JWF AND EP. He's doing here what he has done his whole college career getting over 8 pts. and almost 6 boards per game and this guy can shoot free throws @ 82%. He's such a blue collar guy doing the bulk of his work in the trenches and quietly ending up with solid numbers.
The technical foul(fowl) on EP another aggravating call a by product of very physical play in the paint not being called consistently by the refs. He needs to keep his head screwed on because that play was almost our undoing at the end. The guy who's flailing his arms even though he probably was just assaulted almost always will get called for the foul.

Hofstra says " If they hit their free throws this game was a blowout for Rider". Even if they're shooting at an average of 70% from the foul line they're only picking up another 6 points. Granted some of those misses were the front end of one and ones but let's be honest they're not blowing us out if they hit their free throws, winning maybe. I predicted the ST, JR IMPACT ON THIS TEAM and I agree JR should start to get KW minutes but where we may get burned is against teams that consistently press in the back court like UNCW. It seems like JM will let JWF bring the ball up but who really plays the point if we're getting pressed in the back court the entire game. We will burn JWF out and this could negatively effect his entire game. Who plays the point in this scenario?? Maybe 22 turnovers could be the norm unless we have a skilled ball handler. Do u let KW play minutes knowing that you are sacrificing offense with him in the game???
Last edited by triplec2195 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

EvanJ wrote:We won 88-82. Wright-Foreman (30), Pemberton (career-high 28), Ray (17), Angus III (8), and Trueheart (5) were the only Hofstra players to attempt a field goal or free throw, and they all made at least half of their field goals. Before Gustys today, I wonder if Hofstra ever had a player with at least 29 minutes, at least 10 rebounds, and no field goals or free throws attempted. It was the fourth time since 2010-2011 a Division I player did that. Rider made 4 out of 15 free throws in the second half and shot three-pointers better than free throws in the game. Hofstra made at least 90 percent of their free throws for the second time this season. Before this season they did that twice in 135 games, which is 15 times as many as they played this season.

Edit: Hofstra's 22 turnovers were their most since they had 22 in a 97-69 loss at Louisville on November 12, 2013. It was Hofstra's most turnovers in a win since they had 22 in a 68-63 neutral site win over Yale on November 16, 2009. That was 271 games ago. It was the first time since at least 2005-2006 that Hofstra had at least 22 turnovers and at least 22 fouls in a win. Wright-Foreman tied Tramaine Isabell for the CAA scoring lead at exactly 22 each. Before today, 22 points per game ranked a player tied for 18th in Division I. Pemberton is up to 18.9 points per game, and he could enter the Top 100.
I didn't see or hear the game, so my observations are strictly from the boxscore.
This is one WHACKY boxscore. NO points from 4 guys is one thing; NO SHOTS from 4 guys that played a total of 60 minutes is almost impossible.
MR didn't play? I agree with others here - although great to have one that control a game and its tempo - we really don't need a point guard when JFW, EP and JR. It is apparent RG has regressed from 2015-16. ST seems to give us quality minutes. I hope that DB is still healing - because I want him to play better. If we give the JFW, EP, JR, JA and ST more minutes - and IF that became the core of roster - you'd have only JA to replace next year (go find us this groups version A Uter) - in the end these guards - JFW, EP and JR could be compared to the great Rivera, Audio and Stokes trio.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Let's be clear here I like our guard play but ROK is a very valuable part of this team. JM made the point that Rider's game plan was to stop him and he didn't throw up wild shots like he might have done in the past. The fact that he didn't take any shots while being weird was a plus for us because Rider played right into our strength our SG's and we made them pay. Let's not downplay ROK's 10 rebounds and his graduating. He'll be missed and so will HS. People r quick to throw HS under the bus but he has plenty of upside and brings intensity onto the floor more often then not IMO.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Wormley has no clue what he is doing out there and hate to say it but Buie may have lost a step since the surgery..
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Pemberton is one of 23 players to be in the Top 100 in points per game with a field goal percentage of at least .500 and a free throw percentage of at least .750.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

triplec2195 wrote:Let's be clear here I like our guard play but ROK is a very valuable part of this team. JM made the point that Rider's game plan was to stop him and he didn't throw up wild shots like he might have done in the past. The fact that he didn't take any shots while being weird was a plus for us because Rider played right into our strength our SG's and we made them pay. Let's not downplay ROK's 10 rebounds and his graduating. He'll be missed and so will HS. People r quick to throw HS under the bus but he has plenty of upside and brings intensity onto the floor more often then not IMO.
Everyone throws HS under the bus, and gives him zero props for his defense. Everyone is so quick to judge him because there is an obsession with Rok. Don't get me wrong, Rok is a good rebounder for these team, but there are a lot of skills that Sabety brings that Rok absolutely does not. He's an awesome player - what you don't realize @Hofstra, is that there are zero plays involving Savety in every game, and it is extremely unfortunate that Sabety is being totally under-utilized. To call him conplete garbage, makes me think you are not a true fan, and not watching the same game as everyone else. You are clearly anti-Team, as you provde zero constructive criticism and only rude comments about a lot of the players.

Every game before this week, as soon as Sabety gets hot the coach pulls him from the game so that we can count rebounds. Think logically before you criticize.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Mike agreed. They are definitely under utlilizing him.We have a greater problem than Rok and Hunter. We have no true point guard. This team put all its eggs in Tracy carter and when he chose St Bonnie over us we settled on Wormley. It has not worked out.We are already 9 games into a 31 game season and we are still trying to figure out a rotation. Isnt this what practice and the preseason was suppossed to be about .
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Mike34 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Let's be clear here I like our guard play but ROK is a very valuable part of this team. JM made the point that Rider's game plan was to stop him and he didn't throw up wild shots like he might have done in the past. The fact that he didn't take any shots while being weird was a plus for us because Rider played right into our strength our SG's and we made them pay. Let's not downplay ROK's 10 rebounds and his graduating. He'll be missed and so will HS. People r quick to throw HS under the bus but he has plenty of upside and brings intensity onto the floor more often then not IMO.
Everyone throws HS under the bus, and gives him zero props for his defense. Everyone is so quick to judge him because there is an obsession with Rok. Don't get me wrong, Rok is a good rebounder for these team, but there are a lot of skills that Sabety brings that Rok absolutely does not. He's an awesome player - what you don't realize @Hofstra, is that there are zero plays involving Savety in every game, and it is extremely unfortunate that Sabety is being totally under-utilized. To call him conplete garbage, makes me think you are not a true fan, and not watching the same game as everyone else. You are clearly anti-Team, as you provde zero constructive criticism and only rude comments about a lot of the players.

Every game before this week, as soon as Sabety gets hot the coach pulls him from the game so that we can count rebounds. Think logically before you criticize.
You have a woody for Hunter S here. I just looked back at all of your posts, and it seems he is the only player you care about. Maybe there is a relation to him, and if so, I apologize. I am sure he is a nice guy, and a hard worker. Please don't tell me he got hot though in any single game this season. What game did HS get hot? I would love to know. Yesterday, he had a good defensive block early on, but didn't provide much after that. I am looking for someone to provide quality minutes, and right now, he just isn't giving us quality minutes here. He is a filler for Rok, who picks up fouls and then sits the bench. I don't think Rok is anything more than a formidable defensive player. I think he STINKS offensively.

To call me not a fan is ridiculous. This is the New York market, we are allowed to criticize athletes here. Just because they're in college doesn't mean we need to sugar coat things around here. He is getting a free education, and playing for a Division 1 basketball team, thats awesome enough. Please don't make him out to be something that he isn't though. I am critical of players, this is a message board, we share opinions here. I think JWF/Eli/Ray/Angus had a phenomenal week. 2 great games from them. I said a few players didn't play well, thats par for the course.

Maybe a little Kevin Durant twitter action here though? No? Hunter?
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

@Hofstra - I have been following Sabety since high school. I follow all of the Long Island players who were all LI and all NYS. Sabety falls in that category and is the only player from LI on the Hofstra roster in years since the local recruiting by our staff is quite horrible. And like I said, if you've never seen Sabety heating up in a game so far this year, then again, we're not watching the same game. :)
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

What game did he heat up in? What is your definition of heating up? Maybe you're right, we're watching diff. games here. Heating up? Cmon man.

Not counting Molloy, he has 2 points since the Clemson game.