Site Admin

Re: Game#6 Siena

Post by cactus »

Not happy about this one

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Thats coaching. No adjustments what so ever. Not only in game and half to half but also game to game.If we play like this the rest of the year and we do not address this problem I can see us the the bottom half of the CAA.\ with an overall record less than .500
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

They're are a lot of reasons why they could have done better; no defense as I usually say, bad coaching all around as usual, and some of our key players underperformed today (as compared to their usual performance in the past few games). We don't have better coaching, and we do not have better talent than Sienna. JM never makes adjustments/changes EVER. It's like he is watching a different game than everyone else.
Polito

Post by Polito »

LOL I mean absolutely pitiful.

Oh wait, let me let all the excuse makers make their mark on this thread and 'school' me first...

And, hey, let me know when it's ok to expect this program to win. I coulda swore it was year 5, but gosh that's prob just rude ol me having standards again.

This should really help Dayton's RPI :lol: :lol: :lol: They must be killing themselves for that loss.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Yep, the post game presser will be "Siena is a much better team than their record shows.....gotta give them credit....... they made their shots and we didn't.......they played tougher than we did".

How about some coaching :shock: :shock: Why is KW playing over DB :cry: :cry: KW is bringing very little to the lineup, please play DB. We play without a PG......pitiful!

Very disappointing. Something is really lacking here. We have the players to win but we don't. That leaves only one place to put the blame!
Polito

Post by Polito »

You don't need to wait for the post-gamer Cards, there are plenty of people around HERE who were claiming the same thing before the game started - this thread started out with a bunch of excuses for an opponent that flat out stinks -->> Siena is AWFUL.

Yet another shitty loss to a shitty team that looked like superstars against HU's swiss cheese D and zero ability to adjust strategy or scheme.

Anyone still need more time to see Wormley? :roll: This was so obvious to anyone who actually did their research - painful to see play out exactly as predicted. Not playing up against your former team is absolute weak sauce. This should have been DB's team from DAY 1. It's a joke.

I like Coach Farrelly, and I am pulling for JM and them all, I really don't want to beat them up, but this is completely unacceptable in the 5th year. UNACCEPTABLE.

At some point the bullshit has to stop.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I guess all the optimism from HU's win over A10 Dayton in South Carolina has now been buried beneath 3 straight loses. All the positives that HU gained in the RPI rankings have been wiped away. HU never had the lead versus Siena. It is difficult to gain a following in the local community to boost any interest in the program with these types of performances. So it is not even December, and HU has an uphill battle to gain any recognition. Starters JA and KW have, so far, not played up to the potential the coaching staff saw. With the Molloy game coming up on Thursday 11-30, maybe a change in the lineup could be tried before the remaining nonconference games.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Wow the sky must REALLY be falling...all you guys who jumped on the bandwagon couldn't wait to jump off! The fact of the matter is we sucked today...we did not put forth the EFFORT in this game. You can't COACH effort. It comes from your heart and you must have PRIDE in your performance...we had none of it...it's not coaching, that's bu.....it. We are not as good as our kids think they are...we totally underestimated a team DESPERATE for a win at home...hopefully we learned from this experience that you cannot mail it in....I for one, believe in this team and believe they will learn/benefit from this down the road.

In the grand scheme of things this game means nothing...lets hope this team at least learned from this.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

HUSID74 wrote:In the grand scheme of things this game means nothing...lets hope this team at least learned from this.
Tough game. I think I'm sitting somewhere between HUSID and Polito in my reaction to this one. On one hand, it's just one game where we both shot below our statistical norm and Siena shot way above theirs. It should be an anomaly...

HOWEVER, this game was a good illustration of a lot of the fears this group has had about this team. Namely-

1. Our offense- We seem to run a motion offense that creates movement around the perimeter for our 4 non-center players in the first 10-15 seconds of the shot clock. From here, we normally have one backdoor cut action that, if not utilized, pushes us into our secondary offense. That secondary offense seems to be our 5 man (Rok or Sabety) coming out for a pick and roll 2-man game from way outside the 3-point arc. Here's the issue-- It feels like 90% of the time, we need to audible to the secondary offense, which becomes stagnant and predictable, especially since our guards aren't above average playmakers off the pick and roll.

2. Our defense- Swiss Cheese. No advantages, lack of dominant rebounding (even with Rok), and constant mismatches and wide-open 3 point shots. This has consistently been the case, with today being a perfect example.

3. Game Flow- This is anectdotal, but the combination of the above creates a vicious circle of being forced into a stagnant half-court offense after lazy defensive failures. We have a hard time getting into rhythms or creating turnovers for easy baskets. Our bigmen are so afraid of contact and fouls inside that we lose any ability to defend the rim and create transition offense.

This is high-level, but understandably concerning. Our best shooting days mask our worst defensive performances, and vice versa. When either isn't above average, you get these abysmal, embarassing loses to sub-300 RPI teams. No need to freak over 1 game, but plenty of reason for concern over the patterns this team has shown as a system over the past 5 years.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

OK so let's get buckled in guys because this could be a long season. I've said recently that the keys to this team are our defense and our PG play. This game was indicative where are improvements need to be made. Their freshman PG had almost as many assists as our whole team(11/13). Our PG's had a total of 4 assists and if you want to look further had 3 points between them playing a total of 40 minutes. How sad are those stats and they got comfortable from beyond the arc hitting 10/17. JM actually said our guards didn't come to play. EP had an off day shooting but had 7 boards and 5 assists which was more then what our PG's had. I didn't see this game and couldn't put up with the audio but for those that watched it ugh. We never once had the lead in this game. Does anyone know where Juan'ya Green is?? Dam we need a real PG that actually dishes and can score some points!! I have to give credit to Siena for being able to get over 5,000 people at home games. It's not like they're St John's. I'd like to know the last time we got anywhere's near that at any of our home games???
Last edited by triplec2195 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

We shot 26% from 3 and 50% from inside the arc. We took 34 2 pt shots and 34 3 pt shots. All coach had to do at half time was say guys our three point shots aren't landing; let's drive the ball into the paint and take high percentage shots. JWF and Pemba can both drive into the paint for a shot if that's the play. Maybe this is an oversimplification and I am not a coach but it doesn't seem to make sense we took more three pointers in the second half than in the first half.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

HUSID love your loyalty toward the team and university. Its time to take off the rose colored glasses and head out of the sand. We want this team to make the NCAAs and win the CAA. You cannot do that by turning it on and off. WE play three to four games in a row and if this team has trouble with focus, that is on the coach. Like Polito said its year five. If we wanted excuses Pecora would still be here. He knew when to get out(money grab). JAM is probably the highest paid coach in the CAA. What kind of bang for the buck are we getting. All of the OOC games are important. Lose badly as we did today and you lose your fan base. Its not that big to begin with. If you dont create a buzz now you lose the student section. What is so frustrating is that it is the same weakness that has not been addressed. I said at the beginning of the year that I feared our point guard situation. Well it looks like there was good reason for concern. We were schooled today by a freshman point guard.That is NOT supposed to happen.Lets recap this game Hofstra 13 assts freshman point guard from Siena 11. We have one of the best rebounders in the NCAA yet we were outrebounded today. I see other teams have their guards crash the boards at both ends we dont. Why not? We keep making the same over and over. Thats insanity.One other thing is that our guards dont play defense. opposing guards can get into the paint anytime they want. I watched Auburn game and on three consecutive plays the opposing guards drove to the hoop. After three dribbles our guards just stopped in their tracks and just let them go. result uncontested layups.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:In the grand scheme of things this game means nothing...lets hope this team at least learned from this.
Have to disagree HUSID. Was it a CAA game, no. But we always talk about some day getting back to the days when the conference could get an at large bid - well this is exactly the kind of play that ensures at larges don't come our way.

It also clearly has an impact on our ability to recruit. You'll never convince me that our record does not matter to recruits. :shock: Other than EP, over that last few years who were the super recruits that we stole from other decent D1 teams?? And even JM is the first to say that he never envisioned JWF playing this way. Good recruits want to play and win. EVERY GAME MATTERS!

And these types of games help us to "Pack the Mack" ??????? Really???? Tell me how?

Could we play well from here on in and win the CAA - I guess anything is possible, and I hope we do win it. And if it was only this stinker of a game I would not mind, but there certainly is a pattern of play with JMs coaching that we all see. He says he sees it, but yet it persists. Either he doesn't know how to fix it, or he is not willing to bring in the people to fix it, or he won't listen to those who know how to fix it. End result is the same.

In any case, my hope, expectation, whatever you want to call it, is for HU MBB to be a high end mid-major. We are currently not on a trajectory that gets us there.

Stu - just submitted this post and then saw what you posted at almost the same time. I think as you were typing my ears must have been burning. Agree 100%
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Mike34 love your quote about coach watching a different game than what the rest of us are watching. LMAO! My wife is tone deaf and I tell her she hears music differently than the rest of us.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I did not see the game, but listened to the second half on Siena's radio link, which was much less noisy than WRHU's.

Stat of the game: We took 17 more shots than Siena and lost by nine. That's dreadful. But defense (or lack thereof) was the bigger problem today.

Also, #2 did not score in his return back to Albany?

Game video:

http://capitalregionsportsnet.com/sport ... -first-win

Albany Times-Union article:

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/articl ... 383475.php
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:HUSID love your loyalty toward the team and university. Its time to take off the rose colored glasses and head out of the sand. We want this team to make the NCAAs and win the CAA. You cannot do that by turning it on and off. WE play three to four games in a row and if this team has trouble with focus, that is on the coach. Like Polito said its year five. If we wanted excuses Pecora would still be here. He knew when to get out(money grab). JAM is probably the highest paid coach in the CAA. What kind of bang for the buck are we getting. All of the OOC games are important. Lose badly as we did today and you lose your fan base. Its not that big to begin with. If you dont create a buzz now you lose the student section. What is so frustrating is that it is the same weakness that has not been addressed. I said at the beginning of the year that I feared our point guard situation. Well it looks like there was good reason for concern. We were schooled today by a freshman point guard.That is NOT supposed to happen.Lets recap this game Hofstra 13 assts freshman point guard from Siena 11. We have one of the best rebounders in the NCAA yet we were outrebounded today. I see other teams have their guards crash the boards at both ends we dont. Why not? We keep making the same over and over. Thats insanity.One other thing is that our guards dont play defense. opposing guards can get into the paint anytime they want. I watched Auburn game and on three consecutive plays the opposing guards drove to the hoop. After three dribbles our guards just stopped in their tracks and just let them go. result uncontested layups.
Stu, sorry but you don't know the game and the issues at all. What rose colored glasses. I called out this team for their lack of effort against an inferior team...if that's rose colored glasses then so be it. We have one rebounder and he only crashes the offensive glass..we do not have ANY Athletes up front...this team lives and dies by the three...that's who we are...blame who you want but this team needs to hit threes and play with passion to be successful.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

LIve by the three and die by the three. But we all know that you win games with offense but championships with defense. To say that these OOC games dont mean anything is just plain wrong. We have little to no fan base. Attendance is horrible overall. Im sorry but Hofstra is nicely located but we cant draw flies. student section is almost non existent after the first game of the season. Explain how a freshman point guard schools our guards with 11 assts. I want this team to succeed but they have not had a solid game all year except the dayton game. want another example how about Rokus getting schooled by Armys soph center. Let face it this Siena team is 1-4 for a reason. they are not that good but we made them look like world beaters. Look we all care. if we didnt we would not be on this board bitchin about this team. I hope things turn around but JAM needs to take the bull by the horn and shake things up. If guys are not showing passion, bench their asses.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Lots of venting and rightfully so. Lets not be so quick to throw the entire coaching staff under the bus. Clearly there's been success over the years and that's not just a coincidence. I watched Speedy play over the years and know he brings a wealth of knowledge to the table. All those people who are going out on a limb saying Siena sucks lets see how their year plays out before we can make that judgement. More importantly lets stay positive and focus on Hofstra and what they need to do to right the ship. The challenge here is the assimilation of two new players into the starting rotation and getting quality minutes from our freshmen. I'm going to say that contrary to what people have said JA has done what people believed he would do here and in this game he had 8 points on 3/4 shooting. He only had 3 boards but statistically speaking he had a decent game. ROK had a big game IMO with 18 points and 15 rebounds and shot 57% from the free throw line, imagine him hitting FT.Also JR hitting 2 three's in 10 minutes and getting a steal. I know there will be people taking exceptions to these remarks but looking to take some positives from what was a disappointing loss. I'm going to go out on a limb and say with over a month to play in OOC games we could very well see some radical lineup changes. I believe Trueheart will start to find more minutes and show he deserves them and maybe they will experiment with Ray at PG. Does anyone know if he played any PG in high school?? I'll take my rose colored glasses off now but still say much too early to have a fire sale!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Still very early in season but obviously areas of concern...year 5 in the JAM era and time to see positive results...hint hint... new AD on the way
garyg

Post by garyg »

triplec2195 wrote:Lots of venting and rightfully so. Lets not be so quick to throw the entire coaching staff under the bus. Clearly there's been success over the years and that's not just a coincidence. I watched Speedy play over the years and know he brings a wealth of knowledge to the table. All those people who are going out on a limb saying Siena sucks lets see how their year plays out before we can make that judgement. More importantly lets stay positive and focus on Hofstra and what they need to do to right the ship. The challenge here is the assimilation of two new players into the starting rotation and getting quality minutes from our freshmen. I'm going to say that contrary to what people have said JA has done what people believed he would do here and in this game he had 8 points on 3/4 shooting. He only had 3 boards but statistically speaking he had a decent game. ROK had a big game IMO with 18 points and 15 rebounds and shot 57% from the free throw line, imagine him hitting FT.Also JR hitting 2 three's in 10 minutes and getting a steal. I know there will be people taking exceptions to these remarks but looking to take some positives from what was a disappointing loss. I'm going to go out on a limb and say with over a month to play in OOC games we could very well see some radical lineup changes. I believe Trueheart will start to find more minutes and show he deserves them and maybe they will experiment with Ray at PG. Does anyone know if he played any PG in high school?? I'll take my rose colored glasses off now but still say much too early to have a fire sale!
Ray was recruited as a combo guard and played some PG in HS