Game#6 Siena

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Re: Game#6 Siena

Post by garyg »

Cards wrote:I am sooooooo tired of hearing that winning during the OOC doesn't matter. I'm sooooooo tired of hearing we only need to play well when the CAA schedule starts. Its all such BS! By that logic, the only thing that matters is finishing in the top 6 in the CAA so you get a bye in the first round. So lets shoot for a .500 Record and finish 5th or 6th in the regular season. If we start winning toooooo much, lets sit our top players for a few games and let them rest and avoid injury. Then we can begin the playoffs with fresh legs - because thats the only season (albeit 3 games long) that matters! Finally, I'm sure the current and prospective fan base will understand and be only tooooo willing to attend losing home games knowing the true strategy.

Speaking for myself, I love watching us lose home OOC games. The silence from the crowd at the Mack is really refreshing! And if no one shows up, heck, I can get a pretzel or hit the head and not have to wait on line - cool! And I can relax and be confident that losses will only ensure more losses in future years with challenges to recruiting. Whew - thank goodness I know I'll be able to get my same season tickets seat locations next year. I wish all our away games were close to home so that I could go watch a .500 team more often.

You guys all crack me up. You settle for so little and have your sights set so low. I want to WIN. Winning creates excitement, buzz, recruits, fans, money, and championships!
Come on guys - get with it!
Well put Cards !!!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID74 wrote:
Cards wrote:I am sooooooo tired of hearing that winning during the OOC doesn't matter. I'm sooooooo tired of hearing we only need to play well when the CAA schedule starts. Its all such BS! By that logic, the only thing that matters is finishing in the top 6 in the CAA so you get a bye in the first round. So lets shoot for a .500 Record and finish 5th or 6th in the regular season. If we start winning toooooo much, lets sit our top players for a few games and let them rest and avoid injury. Then we can begin the playoffs with fresh legs - because thats the only season (albeit 3 games long) that matters! Finally, I'm sure the current and prospective fan base will understand and be only tooooo willing to attend losing home games knowing the true strategy.

Speaking for myself, I love watching us lose home OOC games. The silence from the crowd at the Mack is really refreshing! And if no one shows up, heck, I can get a pretzel or hit the head and not have to wait on line - cool! And I can relax and be confident that losses will only ensure more losses in future years with challenges to recruiting. Whew - thank goodness I know I'll be able to get my same season tickets seat locations next year. I wish all our away games were close to home so that I could go watch a .500 team more often.

You guys all crack me up. You settle for so little and have your sights set so low. I want to WIN. Winning creates excitement, buzz, recruits, fans, money, and championships!
Come on guys - get with it!
Except for the fact that there are no home OOC games to speak of and those we have don't/can't draw flies...I for one want us to do well in OOC games for all the reasons that have been articulated by others; BUT in the grand scheme of things, with a one bid League, it's important to GET READY for the CAA schedule...so if that means losing a game or to to find out what we have on this team going forward, so be it!
Sid you are right about the CAA, but I think you have it backwards.

In the context of the season, the league is clearly a 1 bid league again this year, and the loss doesn't mean anything. Every game from now until the end of February is only for seeding/preparing for the 4 days in March in Charleston, and that's it.

In the grand scheme of things, yes we don't/can't draw flies, but we did back in 2000-2001 when they were winning. They did better back in 2006, too, with over 3K a game I believe. Winning does create buzz, recruits, fans, money, and championships.

They have to win these sorts of games to get the ball rolling, so to speak. There actually are people casually interested in the program - there were a lot of fans at Kentucky last year who I never see at home games - they will look at the blurb in the paper that they got smoked by 0 win Siena and mentally "write" the team off, waiting for the next 2000-01 or 2006 type team. At the Savoy we meet in part to discuss how to fix the attendance problem - these losses hurt. I go to my friends and say, "Hey come out to a game, they're good this year", and they respond with, "it's a 1 bid league and they lost to Siena"...and they're right.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I sense a little sarcasm there CARDS but I don't think anyone is suggesting we become complacent with losing or even have it in our mindset. We're talking about finding the best five starters and concurrently who should be coming off the bench getting minutes. There isn't anyone that wants to be part of a losing program and certainly as alumni we don't want to go see our team lose but know that we need to gel before we get to the games that are the most meaningful ones of the season. Once we get into league play we should be tweaking this team not looking to make radical changes because we aren't playing well. Nobody is settling for mediocrity but also lets not set the bar too high just yet. We're coming into this season with 7 new players if you include ST who's a redshirt freshman. Is it unreasonable to expect an acclimation period with all these new players. I know we played exhibition in Canada etc. but dam give it few games before we start having a mutiny.
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:I sense a little sarcasm there CARDS but I don't think anyone is suggesting we become complacent with losing or even have it in our mindset. We're talking about finding the best five starters and concurrently who should be coming off the bench getting minutes. There isn't anyone that wants to be part of a losing program and certainly as alumni we don't want to go see our team lose but know that we need to gel before we get to the games that are the most meaningful ones of the season. Once we get into league play we should be tweaking this team not looking to make radical changes because we aren't playing well. Nobody is settling for mediocrity but also lets not set the bar too high just yet. We're coming into this season with 7 new players if you include ST who's a redshirt freshman. Is it unreasonable to expect an acclimation period with all these new players. I know we played exhibition in Canada etc. but dam give it few games before we start having a mutiny.
Again - you guys don't get it! It's more about attitude. You can't say you want a great team and then say that we accept losses because they are just part of the process. You have to HATE losing. That's the attitude we need - on this board, on this COACHING STAFF, and on the court. But now I'm speaking more to this board and the staff. You have to hate losing as much as you relish winning.

WINNING builds the program and by extension builds the CAA. How obvious does it have to be that to get the CAA to be a 2-bid league we need to have WINS. Hypothetically, If we go 26-4 this year, with our only additional loss the CAA finals, we still have a shot at an at large. WINNING NOW during the OOC keeps that possibility alive. HOW DA HECK do you get to 2-bids if everyone is OK with losing OOC games because they are only a tune-up for CAA play?

WINNING gets you a shot at the NIT if the CAA doesn't work out. WINNING builds a fan base so that if you're in the NIT you get home games. Remember Nebraska and some of those other awesome games!

Assuming that we all want HU to be somewhere between a very successful to powerhouse mid-major program, then the attitude has to change. Yes we have to maintain the integrity of the team, program, and university (it can't be win at ANY and ALL cost), but we need to WIN. NUFF SAID.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Cards wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:I sense a little sarcasm there CARDS but I don't think anyone is suggesting we become complacent with losing or even have it in our mindset. We're talking about finding the best five starters and concurrently who should be coming off the bench getting minutes. There isn't anyone that wants to be part of a losing program and certainly as alumni we don't want to go see our team lose but know that we need to gel before we get to the games that are the most meaningful ones of the season. Once we get into league play we should be tweaking this team not looking to make radical changes because we aren't playing well. Nobody is settling for mediocrity but also lets not set the bar too high just yet. We're coming into this season with 7 new players if you include ST who's a redshirt freshman. Is it unreasonable to expect an acclimation period with all these new players. I know we played exhibition in Canada etc. but dam give it few games before we start having a mutiny.
Again - you guys don't get it! It's more about attitude. You can't say you want a great team and then say that we accept losses because they are just part of the process. You have to HATE losing. That's the attitude we need - on this board, on this COACHING STAFF, and on the court. But now I'm speaking more to this board and the staff. You have to hate losing as much as you relish winning.

WINNING builds the program and by extension builds the CAA. How obvious does it have to be that to get the CAA to be a 2-bid league we need to have WINS. Hypothetically, If we go 26-4 this year, with our only additional loss the CAA finals, we still have a shot at an at large. WINNING NOW during the OOC keeps that possibility alive. HOW DA HECK do you get to 2-bids if everyone is OK with losing OOC games because they are only a tune-up for CAA play?

WINNING gets you a shot at the NIT if the CAA doesn't work out. WINNING builds a fan base so that if you're in the NIT you get home games. Remember Nebraska and some of those other awesome games!

Assuming that we all want HU to be somewhere between a very successful to powerhouse mid-major program, then the attitude has to change. Yes we have to maintain the integrity of the team, program, and university (it can't be win at ANY and ALL cost), but we need to WIN. NUFF SAID.
You don't get "it."

If you're posting on the goddamn "Flying Dutchmen Fans" message board, you want HOFSTRA to win, period. I have to watch these away games on the tv/internet alone because I'm such a psycho watching them.

But I'm not going to bury the team every time they lose because I believe if I scream loud enough on some message board, my opinion will magically get the team to win more games. I have an expectation that the team is giving a solid effort, and the coaching staff is doing their best to win games, whether that happens or not.

Will I express my thoughts on the game, sure, but I get no satisfaction in burying the team after a loss.

Sure, after the way we played defense against Kennesaw, and beat Dayton, I thought we'd be more competitive against Clemson, and beat Siena. It didn't happen. Guess what, we're 6 games into the season, and were tinkering with the team continuity after replacing two starters, and two primary bench players. We haven't played defense, it's an issue, such an issue in fact, that the Head Coach felt compelled to email STH to ensure us that they are working on it.

Some of you guys should root for Duke if you just want unbridled winning. If you root for Hofstra, you know what you're getting into. The only way any program gets to the next level is by consistent progress, until a point where the program eventually breaks through. I'm not saying that is 100% happening here, but a goddamn loss at Siena in November doesn't mean we're back at square one.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Flying D I️ understand what you are saying but at times it is frustrating watching this team. Not killing the players but I️ do have an issue with the coaching staff. The weakness we had last year is reading it’s ugly head again this year. JAM makes no adjustments. I️ don’t want to hear the players are not athletic enough. These are his player who he recruited. Now I understand having a bad game for one or two players but when he said the guards didn’t show up for the game who’s fault is that. It the coach who is throwing his own players under the bus. Have NOT given up on this team. There is still plenty of time. But our issues on D and stagnant offense dependent on the trey must be addressed and soon. The clock is ticking and soon conference play starts. Tic tic tic
Cards

Post by Cards »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Cards wrote:

You don't get "it."

If you're posting on the goddamn "Flying Dutchmen Fans" message board, you want HOFSTRA to win, period. I have to watch these away games on the tv/internet alone because I'm such a psycho watching them.

But I'm not going to bury the team every time they lose because I believe if I scream loud enough on some message board, my opinion will magically get the team to win more games. I have an expectation that the team is giving a solid effort, and the coaching staff is doing their best to win games, whether that happens or not.

Will I express my thoughts on the game, sure, but I get no satisfaction in burying the team after a loss.

Sure, after the way we played defense against Kennesaw, and beat Dayton, I thought we'd be more competitive against Clemson, and beat Siena. It didn't happen. Guess what, we're 6 games into the season, and were tinkering with the team continuity after replacing two starters, and two primary bench players. We haven't played defense, it's an issue, such an issue in fact, that the Head Coach felt compelled to email STH to ensure us that they are working on it.

Some of you guys should root for Duke if you just want unbridled winning. If you root for Hofstra, you know what you're getting into. The only way any program gets to the next level is by consistent progress, until a point where the program eventually breaks through. I'm not saying that is 100% happening here, but a goddamn loss at Siena in November doesn't mean we're back at square one.
I clearly said in my "attitude" post that I was not dumping on the players.

I also never singled out the Siena game as the last straw or some kind of tipping point.

Finally, maybe I misunderstood the thrust and goals of the program. If the goal is simply to compete and maybe once every 6-8 years win a CAA championship, them I'm expecting way too much. If the goal is to build a championship tradition. I'm in.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So Siena just lost to St Bonnie at home by 20. Thoughts?
Cards

Post by Cards »

stuball888 wrote:So Siena just lost to St Bonnie at home by 20. Thoughts?
Nothing like stirring the pot a little. I love it Stu!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Also Bucknell who beat Siena by 23 and scored 115 just lost to St Joes by about 15. Just added some spice to the mix!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

So all that sh...t only proves that it's college hoops.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Big news Stony Brook beat Shwnee St by 50!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

OK so we can go on and on with statistics forever and probably in this game it's safe to say that St. Bonn. played a lot better D then Hofstra did against Siena. If you like to play the extrapolation game based on the score of the Siena vs St Bonn. and Hofstra vs Siena we should conclude that Hofstra will be blown out by 30 when they play St Bonn! On a given day anything can happen. Did anyone believe last year when Hofstra beat Stony Brook by 38 points that we were 38 points better then Stony Brook?? Or last night when Columbia took UCONN to O/T. Yes the 1-4 now 1-5 Columbia Lions who were leading by 11 and as much as 15 points in this game. Let's stop beating a dead horse guys I prefer to sit back and watch this season evolve hopefully for the better.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraMathew wrote: We shot 26% from 3 and 50% from inside the arc. We took 34 2 pt shots and 34 3 pt shots.
I have been harping on this type of shot distribution with Hofstra Basketball since CAAZone.

But does this change for any sustained periods of time?

Very simple. Stick with what works, abandon what doesn't and recognize your limitations. Don't try to do things you're simply not capable of doing. Year in and year out, this program has always shot 3s like it thinks its a great team from behind the arc, when in reality, it's been mediocre from there. What's worse, is when they continue to do that and waste a guy like Rok who, even if he can't hit FTs, can at least get opponents into foul trouble, and when they have guards who can get into the paint to draw fouls or score from there, but who refuse to do it because it seems like more fun to shoot 3s in losses.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote: I am sooooooo tired of hearing that winning during the OOC doesn't matter. I'm sooooooo tired of hearing we only need to play well when the CAA schedule starts. Its all such BS! By that logic, the only thing that matters is finishing in the top 6 in the CAA so you get a bye in the first round. So lets shoot for a .500 Record and finish 5th or 6th in the regular season. If we start winning toooooo much, lets sit our top players for a few games and let them rest and avoid injury. Then we can begin the playoffs with fresh legs - because thats the only season (albeit 3 games long) that matters! Finally, I'm sure the current and prospective fan base will understand and be only tooooo willing to attend losing home games knowing the true strategy.
The OOC results really don't matter. It is only about how you do in those three or four days in March. We all know that.

But those are OOC results. How you play now matters a lot. The seeds you plant as a team, the identity you create in OOC play in November and December can go a long way toward your CAA season in January and February and those 3-4 days in March. To make it a successful season, it's going to take defense, effort, getting 50/50 balls, rebounding, toughness and a lot more of those types of characteristics that are very difficult to flip a switch with and to turn on during CAA play (and even tougher in March) after failing to establish those things from the first practice, in every other practice and throughout OOC play. So something like the loss to Siena? Eh, doesn't hurt the season at all. But the WAY they lost hurts a lot. These games are the tone setters for when it counts. If you don't start preaching it and putting it into practice NOW it's all the more difficult to do it when you truly need to later on.
Cards wrote: Speaking for myself, I love watching us lose home OOC games. The silence from the crowd at the Mack is really refreshing! And if no one shows up, heck, I can get a pretzel or hit the head and not have to wait on line - cool! And I can relax and be confident that losses will only ensure more losses in future years with challenges to recruiting. Whew - thank goodness I know I'll be able to get my same season tickets seat locations next year. I wish all our away games were close to home so that I could go watch a .500 team more often.
And this is hysterical. lol
Polito

Post by Polito »

So I think the bottom lines from this thread are:

- The team has improved, but clearly has some more things to work on - and it's still early enough to do so.
- There are some fans who hope for better, and others who EXPECT it. And there is certainly a time and place for both.

Bonus: Cards and I may have been separated at birth. :D :D :D
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID74 wrote:
daHUPride wrote:
joeg1 wrote:What good is playing zone to protect the bigs from foul trouble if it is terribly ineffective? Staying out of foul trouble is not an end in itself.
How about occasionally using different looks without bigs Gustys and Sabaty - for example Angus, Truehart and Radovic in the back row.
Why don't you ask the coach? joseph.a.mihalich@hofstra.edu
VS Monmouth - JA and ST had a combined -7 for 9 shooting; 18 boards; 3 blocks and 2 steals - in 44 minutes...a testament to using your roster and different looks.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: Year in and year out, this program has always shot 3s like it thinks its a great team from behind the arc, when in reality, it's been mediocre from there. What's worse, is when they continue to do that and waste a guy like Rok who, even if he can't hit FTs, can at least get opponents into foul trouble, and when they have guards who can get into the paint to draw fouls or score from there, but who refuse to do it because it seems like more fun to shoot 3s in losses.
Over the last 12 complete seasons, Hofstra has been as average as can be shooting three-pointers. Hofstra has shot them .347 and been in the top half of the CAA 6 times, the middle position once when there were 9 teams, and the bottom half 5 times. The NCAA average for those 12 seasons is about .347 also, but since the NCAA gives the percentage for each season without the amount of makes and attempts, it could be a tiny bit off.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Jimmy Patsos is now under investigation for verbal abuse towards a manager with a mental disorder. http://amp.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... ssion=true
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep that program is going to go through a hard time...