Game 10 - Stony Brook

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Flying Dutchmen

Re: Game 10 - Stony Brook

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Great win, I'm going to have to schedule a visit to a cardiologist after this week of games!

We keep getting it done from all angles, it's crazy. The players that were struggling came through huge tonight.

Buie had the best game of his career. He looked so confident, going to the rack, crossing people over, hitting big shots. So excited to see him have a big one.

True grit from Sabety tonight. I thought he played hard, he had a great first half and provided a solid paint presence throughout the game.

Wormley had a better performance tonight. He played with more focus and control, I thought he looked pretty good defensively. Encouraged by the effort tonight.

JWF, come on. That performance was too good.

Any player that struggled tonight will likely go off on the Jaspers next week.

One negative was that I thought we played tentative at times, and it caused some sloppy play. But we keep coming up big when it matters. This was a tough road stretch against teams with a pulse. It was a great warmup for conference play. The team has the finals break to get rested before Manhattan. Next week will be a fun slate of hoops!
Wags

Post by Wags »

I keep saying Hofstra can't win games giving up a lot of points, simply trying to outscore opponents, without playing much defense.

But this three-game win streak with scores of 85-84, 88-82 and 84-81.

So what do I know right now? lol

Some of that is simply pace rather than bad D, but the D does have to get better as well, and I do think that if those numbers don't drop, it'll catch up with them in CAA play. For now though, sure, give up over 80 and keep winning OOC.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Nice "W".

I liked the way the team played - especially some of the guys that have played well of late, DB, KW and HS all who came up big and played really well.
I like that JAM gave SB a few different looks - one of which was a 4 guard set of DB, KW, EP, and JFW with HS in the middle - that group gave some quality minutes.

Again nice "W"
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Said game would be decided by less than 10 points. SBU much better this year. They gave us a good test. We won these games because this year we finally have a deep bench. If JAM continues to use ten players it will bode well later in conference play. Would like to see us take care of the rock better and tweek the D so we give up less than 75 points per game. Those are obtainable goals. For now good job and good luck on finals.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

You guys want a good laugh? Go over to the SBU website. The headline reads "CORNISH LEADS STRONG SECOND HALF FOR SEAWOLVES WIN BATTLE OF LONG ISLAND!
First off SBU lost, secondly Hofstra outscored SBU 49-44 in second half. Who writes this stuff for SBu. As Donald trump says"FAKE NEWS"!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

stuball888 wrote:You guys want a good laugh? Go over to the SBU website. The headline reads "CORNISH LEADS STRONG SECOND HALF FOR SEAWOLVES WIN BATTLE OF LONG ISLAND!
First off SBU lost, secondly Hofstra outscored SBU 49-44 in second half. Who writes this stuff for SBu. As Donald trump says"FAKE NEWS"!

Haha that’s great! They must be in denial.
7B39E6E3-6D77-495B-B32C-F1B89C75DACE.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

It's not even a coherent sentence.

JWF was fantastic, hit a big shot every time stonybrook started to get some momentum.
Buie looked great, but has to cut down on the turnovers and strange decisions. Played with a lot of energy on D.
Sabety needs to play more.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This is my second post somehow my 1st disappeared. I got to the game late 11 minutes in with horrific traffic but just in time to see a HS block. Hofstra D looking tough and was pleasantly surprised to see DB playing with a lot of confidence and hawking their ball handlers. He also hit big three's in this game. JR couldn't get into the flow of the game and EP who sat with 2 fouls a lot of the first half seemed to not be in this game. I thought the officiating uneven as they called HU on numerous charges 2 on Buie and I think one on JWF but our guys knocked down in the paint and no calls. Decent crowd for SBU which didn't seem to bother HU and maybe even motivated us. JWF seemingly scoring at will and SBU had no answer for him. Really a plus game for us moving forward with Buie being reincarnated. We had nice steals in this game but all too often gave the ball back on sloppy ball handling. Hu made it close at the end by missing 4 FT's and an SBU last attempt three went off the front of the rim. Held my breath on that shot which was on the money. As already said lots of positives to take away from this game moving forward!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Newsday's article focused more on other things than how the game went. Stony Brook led for 24:30, but Newsday didn't write about the largest lead or when each team led.

JWF is now tenth in Division I averaging 23.1 points, which is more than Jenkins' 22.9 in his senior season, which was sixth in Division I.

Hofstra is up to 104th in the RPI.

Hofstra, James Madison, William & Mary, and UNC Wilmington have the four highest points per game and points per game allowed in the CAA. UNC Wilmington's games average 176.9 points compared to 157.2 for us.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Great to be winning but if we are to continue to do so we MUST protect the ball better...22 turnovers against Rider and 17 against SB is not gonna work long term...encouraged that 10 players saw time against SB...could this be a coming out party for Buie ????
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Great game by Buie. Hope he's back. SBU tougher than I thought but home court means so much in the college game. As some commentators have noted we can't be giving up 80 plus points per game. There are dozens of coaches on this board so I'll chime in as well. It would seem to me that given the depth at guard some full court pressure wouldn't hurt. Those opposing threes that are killing us get a little harder late in the period when you've been run ragged by pressure. We have the depth to dish out a little "forty minutes of hell" ala Nolan Richardson's Arkansas teams from back in the day.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Win, Win, Win - Way to go guys :lol:

Great game by the "buddies" JWF and DB.

Most of the game there was a good effort on D - they guys were working very hard. There were a few breakdowns (all when playing zone), but in general, they were good.

Not good at the FT line - first time in a while, so I'll give them a pass (as long as it does not continue).

Agree with what all others posters have already said. It was fun last night sitting amongst some SB fans and hearing them say things about JWF - "This guys is some player", This guys is just unstoppable", and the best was "How come we don't have any guys like this?"

All in all, a nice 3 game stretch of away game WINS.

I wonder if JM reads the board. In the presser last night he repeated something I've posted about. The guys can not simply play to win, they have to absolutely HATE TO LOSE, AND WILL NOT ACCEPT LOSSES. It certainly is the attitude that they have recently displayed. 8-)
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

garyg wrote:Great to be winning but if we are to continue to do so we MUST protect the ball better...22 turnovers against Rider and 17 against SB is not gonna work long term...encouraged that 10 players saw time against SB...could this be a coming out party for Buie ????
Agreed...at times the ball looked like a hot potato in our hands...it was cold in that arena, saw DB blowing into his hands several times to warm up.
IMO Sabety was the star of the game...he really shook things up with his aggressive play inside, shot blocking etc...He was on the floor when Hofstra made its run in the second half, I got worried when Rok came in because then right away SBU starts attacking the basket...one time one of their guards went right at Rok in the paint and he just stood there. Reminds me of Walt Frazier calling it "Matador D."

All in all thought a good win on the road and as JAM said, this team finds ways to win...a good trait...now let's get Manhattan and put on a good show against Villanova
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

It's the first time we had at least 17 turnovers in consecutive games since November 12, 2013 at Louisville and November 19, 2013 at Richmond. It's the first time we had at least 17 turnovers in consecutive games that were both wins since a triple overtime win hosting UNC Wilmington on January 14, 2006 at a win at Old Dominion on January 19, 2006
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Capacity is 4160 with attendance of 2735?? No way. It was half full at best. They are playing games with the numbers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Yes disappointing turnout...both schools need to promote it better. Why wasn't there a Hofstra bus filled with students going to the game?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Midweek game and finals approaching
Cards

Post by Cards »

cactus wrote:Capacity is 4160 with attendance of 2735?? No way. It was half full at best. They are playing games with the numbers.
Agree Cactus

I had tickets opposite the HU bench about 4-5 rows from the back row. When I arrived at the main aisle, I asked the girl generally where my seat was. She offered to show me where I could sit. I said OK - she proceed to take me down the aisle about 5 rows from the court, pointed to a string of about 10 empty seats and said "just sit anywhere around here". Something tells me they are not regularly drawing a crowd!!
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Awesome game last night. Major props to JWF, Sabety, and Buie. The three dominated last night. Happy to come out with the W!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:Capacity is 4160 with attendance of 2735?? No way. It was half full at best. They are playing games with the numbers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I was there with my brother in law and asked how many people do u think r here? He said what's the total capacity and I said a little over 4,000 he says about 1,000 looks like it's about a quarter full. I thought probably 1,500 but agree with your post re inflated capacity!!