Game 5 - Auburn

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Game 5 - Auburn

Post by Jojogunne »

What are the odds of us playing Auburn twice in less than 10 days? We faced the Tigers in the WSOC NCAA tournament a week ago Friday.
HUSID74

Re: Game 5 - Auburn

Post by HUSID74 »

Nice to avenge the women's soccer loss although I know nothing about Auburn except for the fact that thei assistant coach was indicted in the NCAA hoops scandal.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I expect a similar game to the one against Clemson. Of course anyone can beat anyone on any given day, but I expect (like yesterday) the difference to be the DEPTH of talent
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Auburn is not as good as Clemson...I expect a close hard fought game...it would be awesome to come out of this tournament 2-1. Would help our and the CAA's rpi.
Cards

Post by Cards »

On "paper" Auburn has more talent than Clemson. That being said, all of Auburns 4 and 5 star guys are freshman and sophomores.

Given the trio of teams we played in this tourney, yes 2-1 would be very good, and 1-2 (as long as we play well tomorrow) is not the end of the world. Like I said in the Clemson thread, other than the Villanova game, our next 10 games will feel like playing against high school teams :lol:
garyg

Post by garyg »

When was the last time Hofstra played on national television 3 times in 4 nights...LOL...???
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Cards

Post by Cards »

I know its really, really early in the season, but HU enters this game with an RPI of 33. Clemson is better (teens), and both Dayton and Auburn are in the 75-100 RPI range.

A win tonight would really be a nice start to a 4-1 out of conf schedule (and playing 3 high quality teams).

I think today should be a good games for RG and HS. Auburn does not have an experienced big man that can match up. Key to game will be controlling some of their young studs playing the guard spots. We need a max defensive effort. I think our offense will be better than against Clemson.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

If they are thinking about going all out ... anyone think maybe trying to put Rok and Hunter on the court for a short run? Imagine the fouls would rack up if they tried it too long (and they might clog the paint) but why not give it a whirl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Pride97 wrote:If they are thinking about going all out ... anyone think maybe trying to put Rok and Hunter on the court for a short run? Imagine the fouls would rack up if they tried it too long (and they might clog the paint) but why not give it a whirl?

The issue always with this is getting back on defense after a missed shot. Sabety can move well for a big man but rok is always last man back. I know it sounds well in a set defense but I think it just wouldn’t work out.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

garyg wrote: When was the last time Hofstra played on national television 3 times in 4 nights...LOL...???
November 20, 22, and 23, 2015 in the U.S. Virgin Islands on CBS Sports Network.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

I agree with your idea Pride97
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=193251 has statistics. Auburn is starting Horace Spencer (forward), Jared Harper (guard), Bryce Brown (guard), Mustapha Heron (guard), and Desean Murray (forward). Hofstra is starting Wormley, Wright-Foreman, Gustys, Angus III, and Pemberton.

Edit: It's 11-11 with 15:29 left in the first half, and Wright-Foreman is the only player on either team with a missed field goals. The teams have made 8 out of 9. Each team has two three-pointers, two two-pointers, one free throw made, and one free throw missed.

Edit: It's 18-18.

Edit: Hofstra took a 30-27 by making their sixth three-pointer out of ten attempts. Pemberton and Mustapha Heron lead with 10 points.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Waiting to see some defense...
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We have the lead at halftime, 50-49....we should be up more as Pemberton, while shooting well from the field is one for five from the line....looks like both teams playing little defense...Auburn must be hitting close to 65 per cent of its shots and we are close as well...fun game...one team will make a run in the second half and pull it out.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Great half. We were en Fuego from behind the line, hope that continues. '

Pemberton had an awesome 20 minutes. Missed some FT's though.

Trueheart came to play as well. Nice to see him get some important minutes for us. Hope that continues.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Eli may be on his way to becoming our best scorer. Very efficient again. Has had a great tourney.
Great to see us hanging in so far. No D but team effort on O. Buie with 5 first half assists as well

EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID74 wrote: We have the lead at halftime, 50-49....we should be up more as Pemberton, while shooting well from the field is one for five from the line.
He's four for nine from the line. I wonder when the last time Hofstra had a player with at least 19 points and at least 5 missed free throws at halftime. Our close game with Army had 30 combined lead changes and ties. Tonight has 24 of them.

This is my 1,000th post.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

May have spoke too soon

ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Ice cold to start the second half, as Auburn has scored the first 13 points to take a 62-50 lead. Looks like Auburn learned how to play defense during halftime, we're now 0-6 in the second half. Pemberton with a stupid tech foul, yet that Auburn player didn't get one earlier for hanging on the rim.

now more than 7 minutes into the half and we have yet to score... Honestly, at the very least if you're literally not going to score at all, some attempt at a defense would be nice since AU basically can't miss