Game 3 vs Dayton

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraMathew

Re: Game 3 vs Dayton

Post by HofstraMathew »

Polito wrote:I'm going to (try to) be patient with Radovic, I mean he is a true freshmen and didn't get the kind of minutes at Montverde he's getting now after being behind #1 '18 Duke-bound RJ Barrett. He can, and I think will to an extent, improve/develop with more experience. How much we'll see, but he has the tools to be good.

I see a guy with great size for the 3/4, moves well, has range, can drive to the basket, can rebound, handle the rock, has confidence, works on D, and always seems to be open. Challenge is he's streaky, and needs to get his D1 footing... it will frustrate, but there is some real potential.

HU will need his shot to help spread the floor, start runs, stop bleeding, shift momentum, etc. Really hoping we see him get hot in one of these games this weekend to see just how much of an impact he can make.
Completely agree. He had few solid plays last night also including that chase down block.

We all hate to see missed shots but the majority of the shots he is taking are literally wide open locks; its really tough to fault a guy for taking a shot like that.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Polito wrote:I'm going to (try to) be patient with Radovic, I mean he is a true freshmen and didn't get the kind of minutes at Montverde he's getting now after being behind #1 '18 Duke-bound RJ Barrett. He can, and I think will to an extent, improve/develop with more experience. How much we'll see, but he has the tools to be good.

I see a guy with great size for the 3/4, moves well, has range, can drive to the basket, can rebound, handle the rock, has confidence, works on D, and always seems to be open. Challenge is he's streaky, and needs to get his D1 footing... it will frustrate, but there is some real potential.

HU will need his shot to help spread the floor, start runs, stop bleeding, shift momentum, etc. Really hoping we see him get hot in one of these games this weekend to see just how much of an impact he can make.
Yeah, Radovic was killing us a little last night, but I agree I think he has potential. Joe only plays guys he trusts, so it's great that he's already getting big minutes in a close game like the Dayton one was last night.

He may end up just being a spot shooter, but we need a guy like that anyway, a player similar to Bernardi, except that they can guard SF's and doesn't have to bear the responsibility of being a ball handler. I'm more excited that Radovic is flashing some defensive potential than anything, it will keep him on the court.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

joeg1 wrote:I think we're lucky we got Dayton when we did...IMO that is a real good team that has not hit it's stride yet. Greek Freak 3.0 will be a force. I have a feeling this win will look even better down the road.
I was thinking that as we played them as well, Grant is an excellent coach, perfect for that program.

Dayton was a longer team than I thought they would be, GF3 had a huge impact on the game, he's very raw but that guy has some serious potential.

I thought we did a great job in the first half protecting the paint, and forcing them to take bad looks. Dayton made some adjustments at half, and shot almost 60% the rest of the way, they did a great job utilizing their size and the fast break.

Win or lose, this game was going to be a great experience for our team. We're probably not going to see a team as athletic as Dayton in the CAA, but we were still able to execute in the second half despite Dayton ramping up the defensive pressure.

I have nothing particularly critical to say about the performance, I think we outplayed a team that was physically better than us, and we won the game after giving up the lead late. Something we NEVER do at Hofstra. It's a great feeling.
Polito

Post by Polito »

ABSOLUTELY - this was a big time W, no question. Think I mentioned pre-season that of the name games, this was HU's shot, and kudos to the team for really coming through.

Grant in his first year, some fresh faces, early in the season, this was the time to get them, and HU did 8-)

This is turning out to be a GREAT tourney, hoping this pays off big time in conf play and during the tourney.