Game 2 vs. Kennesaw State

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Flying Dutchmen

Game 2 vs. Kennesaw State

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Can't wait to see if Pemberton is off suspension. Kennesaw has a pretty good coach in Al Skinner, but they had some significant roster turnover and we should win this one going away.
Cards

Re: Game 2 vs. Kennesaw State

Post by Cards »

Word is that all suspensions were for 1st game only.

Should be a big game for RG and HS. Kennesaw's tallest guys are built like Truehart and Radovic. Their beefiest guys are the size of Angus. They have no one that can match up with our bigs.

I see that UNCW had a big win (105 points) showing up in CAA YTD stats. Of course their opponent was a D2. I though stats only show up against other D1 teams??
Flying Dutchmen

Cards wrote:Word is that all suspensions were for 1st game only.

Should be a big game for RG and HS. Kennesaw's tallest guys are built like Truehart and Radovic. Their beefiest guys are the size of Angus. They have no one that can match up with our bigs.

I see that UNCW had a big win (105 points) showing up in CAA YTD stats. Of course their opponent was a D2. I though stats only show up against other D1 teams??
Ok cool, feel very good about our chances tonight then, although I do think Kennesaw will be a bit better than advertised this year. It will be interesting to see how much time Ray gets now, I thought he had a solid first game after getting thrown right into the fire.

I don't know how the CAA keeps stats, but any major metric like Pomeroy, RPI, etc, only counts D-1 games in the ratings system.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Al Skinner grew up on Long Island I believe
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Ray should be first guy off the bench to give both JWF and EP rest so depending on the score of the game I could see him getting 10-15 minutes per game (maybe more in blowouts).
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Al Skinner went to Malverne HS, played for the Nets and coached at Boston College. He was a HS teammate of Hofstra great Bernard Tomlin...good coach!
Polito

Post by Polito »

To my understanding, all will be back, hungry, and ready to rock tonight. Let's see if there's any 1st game rust from them in this game 2, but hopefully not!

Agree on the bigs, Rok and Hunter should actively look to have big games tonight. I think HU's advantage is there in this game.

KSU's strength seems to be in it's wings, a couple of 6'5-6'6 guys that can play/score. They aren't projected to be a great team in the ASun, bottom half, but having Skinner could help.

Solid test for HU's 3's and 4's (EP, Angus, Rad, Trueheart), and I'm looking for the 1's and 2's to have strong performances along with the post.

Would like to see Buie start with Wormley mixed in, and Ray looks to be first in for JWF. Not too much of a fan of him in the 3 spot where it's better to have more size, perhaps that's a good spot for Wormley to mix in as well...?

The more experience the full compliment of guys get the better for conf play, so lets hope this game allows for that opportunity.

Still lots to learn about this squad, go get em fellas!! #ROLLPRIDE
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I'm not saying this is what will happen, but Kennesaw State started by losing by 18 at Butler. Since Kennesaw State was away then and will be at Hofstra, I'll use Butler to compare the teams without needing a home court adjustment. Last season Butler was 17.02 better than Hofstra in the Sagarin. Doing 17 points worse than Butler would give Hofstra a win by 1, and Hofstra is expected to be better than they were last season.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Does anyone know why the scoreboard isn't showing stats this season?? Drives me crazy I can't tell who has fouls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Is anyone having trouble with the live video...just won't download
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Thanks to a few friends in the crowd, I got some updates. Wasn't able to stream.

To speak on the above posters comment in regards to the scoreboard.. WTF was that? How do we have such a garbage scoreboard?

Great win though. TBH all wins are great. I am happy to go in with a bit of momentum for Thursday night and ESPNU.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Kennesaw State made 2 out of 15 three-pointers, which is the worst by a Hofstra opponent (best defense by Hofstra) since College of Charleston almost made 2 out of 15 on February 25, 2015. That was 72 games ago. The last Hofstra opponent to shoot three-pointers worse than that was when James Madison missed all 11 on February 10, 2014, but they beat us 59-53. That was 109 games ago. The last Hofstra opponent to shoot three-pointers worse than that in a game Hofstra won was when Georgia State made 2 out of 20 on January 7, 2013. That was 153 games ago. Kennesaw State made half their three-pointers at Butler.

Kennesaw State had 23 offensive rebounds, which was the most by a Hofstra opponent since a 70-64 win at Drexel on January 30, 2016. Drexel had 23 offensive rebounds, and that was 46 games ago. The CAA has statistics for Hofstra's last 393 games, and those are the only two times a Hofstra opponent had at least 23 offensive rebounds during that time.
Flying Dutchmen

We looked good tonight.

Our frontcourt had a field day. Rok looked real solid, bullying people in the paint, moving the ball incredibly well from the post, a much improved defensive effort, really a 180 from the Army game. Sabety had a nice run himself in the second half, blocking shots, the PG's fed him some dunks too.

The point guard play was real solid. Wormley looks like the real deal, I like his court vision, and he was playing tough defense all day. Buie looks good too, the knee injury hasn't seemed to limit him much so far. Both PG's did a great job getting the frontcourt involved, and running the offense overall, I'm excited.

The coaching staff kept the starting lineup from Game 1 because they felt since those players won the Army game, and deserved another start. Pemberton came off the bench tonight and looked real versatile offensively, he should get the starting job back sooner than later, I expect a huge year. JWF had an off night, I felt like he was uncharacteristically forcing the pace, I didn't think he had an awful game though, he settled in late to put the game out of reach.

Radovic found the stroke from the perimeter late, Ray didn't shoot the ball well, but it's definitely promising to seeing the true freshmen getting these minutes.

Overall, we did play Kennesaw, who is a young team, but they were well coached by Skinner and disciplined, only 8TO. Our man to man defense stifled them, it was perhaps our best defensive performance in years, against anybody, even the non D-1 teams. Our only real flaw tonight was that we were somewhat sloppy with the ball, 15 turnovers. We didn't shoot the ball great from the perimeter either, but our guard play was so good it had no bearing on the outcome of the game, obviously a big change from last season.

Great warmup performance for the Charleston Classic and Dayton on Thursday night.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Sabety’s sequence of the 3 blocked shots and a dunk and about a minute and a half is I think what basically put a damper on any chance Kennesaw State had of making a comeback. The arena basically came to life at that point, and gave the team momentum and confidence for the rest of that second half. It was also good to see DB and RG with the pick n roll a little bit, hopefully there is more of that to come. There was (obviously) a noticeable difference between having a 10 man rotation and a 7 man rotation. We should be pretty good if we can stay healthy and have no more suspensions this season.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Talk about balance.
9 guys getting significant minutes/ (almost) everyone of them: scored; had an assist and had a rebound/ good team FT shooting again.
Giving up 23 O boards and turning over the ball 15 times and still gets us a win/ noticed RG constantly stretching when not in the game.
This teams additions are more athletic and deeper then last years roster subtractions.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

1,013 was our lowest home attendance since we got 894 hosting William & Mary on January 24, 2016, and that game was postponed a day due to snow. Our next most recent attendance that low was 961 against Florida Atlantic on December 22, 2015. It didn't even look like 1,000 people were there. My mom pointed out the student section was almost empty except for the band, and I don't know if anybody sat in a 200s seat. You could have paid for a 200s ticket and sat closer because of how empty it was. There are three levels of ticket prices when there used to be two.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I listened to the presser and could not agree more with JMs assessment. There were many good things to talk about, as well as some not so good.

I was at the game and was especially impressed with the 2nd half defensive play of our guards. KW, DB, JWF, and JR were almost inside the jerseys of the guys they were guarding (especially in man to man). They were relentless, right in the faces of the opposition. 100% different than last year and even different than last game. I think having the full roster really helped - there is no way you can play that intense defense without subs. I really think that JM got the message from last year, that our defense was awful. Last night was very encouraging.

I don't know if Kennesaw is a poor 3-pt shooting team or if it was our tenacious defense at the perimeter, but again, what a change from last year.

As I predicted, our bigs would have a field day. both RG and HS did whatever they wanted to. I think RG could have easily had 20 pts, but he dished off quite a bit when he was in what I thought was a good position to score. I sat in the stands talking to myself saying "common big guy, go to the hoop". Very interesting that during the presser JM said that he thought Rok passed the ball too much and should have shot more. I could not agree more and was glad to hear JM recognizes that situation.

Sad to say that along with the many good observations there was quite a bit of sloppiness on display. I'm going to give the guys a pass and chalk this up to its only the second game of the year, first for guys that served a suspension, and some of the guys are freshman. I think this will improve simply by playing more.

I am very encouraged. For a game in which the guys did not play great, the final score was impressive.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

EvanJ wrote:1,013 was our lowest home attendance since we got 894 hosting William & Mary on January 24, 2016, and that game was postponed a day due to snow. Our next most recent attendance that low was 961 against Florida Atlantic on December 22, 2015. It didn't even look like 1,000 people were there. My mom pointed out the student section was almost empty except for the band, and I don't know if anybody sat in a 200s seat. You could have paid for a 200s ticket and sat closer because of how empty it was. There are three levels of ticket prices when there used to be two.
It was definitely a perfect storm to have a game with low attendance (monday night, weak opponent, only three days after the prior home game, etc).

FYI; I was at all three of those low attendance games.
garyg

Post by garyg »

[quote="Cards"]I listened to the presser and could not agree more with JMs assessment. There were many good things to talk about, as well as some not so good.

I was at the game and was especially impressed with the 2nd half defensive play of our guards. KW, DB, JWF, and JR were almost inside the jerseys of the guys they were guarding (especially in man to man). They were relentless, right in the faces of the opposition. 100% different than last year and even different than last game. I think having the full roster really helped - there is no way you can play that intense defense without subs. I really think that JM got the message from last year, that our defense was awful. Last night was very encouraging.

I don't know if Kennesaw is a poor 3-pt shooting team or if it was our tenacious defense at the perimeter, but again, what a change from last year.

As I predicted, our bigs would have a field day. both RG and HS did whatever they wanted to. I think RG could have easily had 20 pts, but he dished off quite a bit when he was in what I thought was a good position to score. I sat in the stands talking to myself saying "common big guy, go to the hoop". Very interesting that during the presser JM said that he thought Rok passed the ball too much and should have shot more. I could not agree more and was glad to hear JM recognizes that situation.

I think one of the reasons Rokas does not shoot more inside and elects to pass too often is because he does not want to go to the free throw line..it is a mental thing with him
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
EvanJ wrote:1,013 was our lowest home attendance since we got 894 hosting William & Mary on January 24, 2016, and that game was postponed a day due to snow. Our next most recent attendance that low was 961 against Florida Atlantic on December 22, 2015. It didn't even look like 1,000 people were there. My mom pointed out the student section was almost empty except for the band, and I don't know if anybody sat in a 200s seat. You could have paid for a 200s ticket and sat closer because of how empty it was. There are three levels of ticket prices when there used to be two.
It was definitely a perfect storm to have a game with low attendance (monday night, weak opponent, only three days after the prior home game, etc).

FYI; I was at all three of those low attendance games.
Still, it's a shame that only 1,000 people could show up....very disappointing...I know no one ever heard of the opponent but for ...........'s sake we can't get anyone to a game....makes you wonder..... and then to top it off what was up with the live cast????? It took me over a half hour and three separate devices to first get the broadcast then the simulcast with 1:37 left....not the best presentation and way to build a following....thank goodness we're on the U Thursday...at least I know I'll be able to watch a FULL game!